• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
I only get annoyed when people chew loudly. Its like an instant trigger for me, cant help it.

You can't say anything about food noises so they are even worse.

Its the main reason why I prefer to go alone to movies at the multiplex. You can just move around. But when I go with my GF, I can't say there's someone close by who is eating popcorn with his mouth open so we have to move.

Dorothy Gale

Alt-Account
May 25, 2018
Had somebody snore for a few minutes. It stopped because I got out of my seat and woke the guy up.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't go to the theater to see horror movies or comedies, because of crap like this. I pretty much just reserve my theater-going for the big action movies that I would want to see on the big screen, OR your drama type movies, where the audience is likely to be a bit more reserved. Darkest Hour is a good example of one of those; saw that in the theater, and no one made a peep, aside from some light laughter during a couple of scenes.

Tambini

Oct 25, 2017
Going to the cinema is bad enough usually but horror films are something else, filled with popcorn munching, texting, giggling 15 year olds

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people made clicking sounds in my movie as well. They also laughed during some scenes but I think it was because they came across as unintentionally funny

Feb 10, 2018
Its very fustraiting, when I worked at the cinema it was my job to monitor the screens for any distractions. If the person or group continued being distracting we would ask them to leave.
If this happens the only thing you can do is notify staff, they should do somthing about it because it also be ruining other customers enjoyment of the film.

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, I was going to make this exact thread the other night after my showing.

I've been to hundreds, tipping even a thousand or so more movie sessions. I have never had such a terrible experience in a theatre than I did with this movie. Very similar reactions - laughing at key moments, clicking like the girl does, I even had a guy scream during a tense moment trying to scare the crowd. And to top it all, a bloke sat to my right shoulder CONSTANTLY talking through the movie with this girlfriend. And I mean, scene by scene, as if the poor lass was blind as he was describing it to her. Shot a few dirty looks his way, debated saying something, chose not to. Shot an even dirtier look on the way out and left it at that.

Completely ruined what was otherwise a tense, exciting horror for myself. Absolute shame that some people feel the need to do with things in a theatre. The audience is there for the movie you twat, not your idiotic ways.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I had a pretty solid audience last night at Regal. The whole audience erupted in laughter, myself included, when one of the characters moved in a really awkward and funny way towards the end. That moment almost seemed like it was aiming for laughter.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
I was dreading going to see A Quiet Place because I knew how much it relied on silent tension. For the most part the audience was well behaved, but there was a guy who clearly had a tickle in his throat and instead of just getting it over and done with in one big cough or throat clear he went through 10 minutes of attempting to have internal, stealth coughs that were driving me nuts. Like I appreciate his attempt at keeping quiet, but he just drew it out. My ears similar hone in on anyone near by who, during a particularly quiet moment, will put their hand in their crisp packet or popcorn in slow motion to make less noise, but noise that lasts 5 times as long. Your brain has acknowledge it's a quiet moment, maybe just don't eat something for 2 minutes til the tension's broke...

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Yeah there is sometimes real obnoxious people, it's best to go to films when you know it's quiet for your local cinema, especially for non-action films. Fortunately it's not that common of an occurrence for me, but I still prefer going when it's less busy, which means pretty much avoiding weekends, and going during a week night, which I prefer because I like doing other things during the weekend.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread cursed me.

I never have these kinds of bad experiences.

Went to see a 1:30p showing of Hereditary today and there was probably 12 people there. These 3 girls were whispering loudly and laughing constantly for the first half of the movie and it was driving me crazy.

Finally I turned around and said "Are you going to just talk through the whole movie?"

To which a girl said, "probably!"

Incensed, I told her "well, could you be cool to the rest of us who also paid to see the movie and not do that?"

And I'll be damned if they never said anything again. About 15 minutes later they just left. They looked like high school kids.

I've never done that before in my life but I was not even trying to have it during this movie. The movie was awesome, I loved it! I can see why a lot of audiences didn't like it but that doesn't mean you should just be an asshole and disregard everyone else in the room.

Maybe because it was a horror film these kids didn't know what they were getting, but I had to be a dick and I didn't like doing it.

robosllim

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Had a couple out of place laughs when I went to see it, but for the most part people were pretty good. On the one hand, it was an early screening which should weed out people who aren't in the know and super interested, but on the other hand it was free, so people could've dragged along their less enthusiastic friends. Fortunately, the odds worked out in my favor.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
Me and my girlfriend had the same experience, we made the mistake of going to a 4pm show on a Saturday and a whole bunch of bored / young teenagers talked through the whole thing and kept making the clicking noises.

I feel the pain.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
It's always the people that feel they have to scream, laugh, gasp really loudly.

drog

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Just saw this movie yesterday and had a similar experience, to the point where I had to get out of my seat and yell at a group of young girls to be quiet (which did work). I've had bad movie theater experiences but never anything like this, just talking and commenting throughout the first hour or so of the movie. "SHE BUGGIN" "SHE WILDIN" "THIS BITCH DEAD" "THIS SOME PARANORMAL ACTIVITY SHIT" and doing the clicking noise over and over and over, absolutely unbearable. This is the type of shit that makes me avoid seeing movies in theaters but I was really looking forward to this, people just do not know how to fucking act...

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I had a small child (not a baby) wailing throughout the third act of Solo yesterday. Come on, people.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I love theaters, but its easy to have a bad experience. the best time to see horror movies is a week or two after release on a weekday. its typically pretty empty.

idk why people have to talk during a movie. one of my girlfriends friends does that, which I didn't learn until we all saw IT. after that, imma not do that again. some people just cant help themselves for w/e reason.

edit, is this movie good? I haven't seen a thread about it.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that opening night? Sheesh.... I can understand cheap night a few weeks later.

Deadpool 2 midnight release I had some drunk couple beside me in a packed theatre groping each other and her almost sitting on his lap making out.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I don't to to the theatre super often. Is it like a normal thing to bring your young child to an R-rated horror film? There was a girl who couldn't have been older than 10 at my showing of Hereditary. I mean, she seemed to take all the traumatic stuff pretty well and only got fidgety near the end but still that seems pretty intense for a kid of that age.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I was glad I saw Hereditary in a proper arthouse cinema. I can't imagine seeing this among the typical Satuday night cinema crowd.

Evil Calvin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
St. Louis
Sorry to hear that OP. I had one of the worst ever recently at Deadpool 2.

Original worst was like...Matrix Reloaded maybe? But some teenagers threw popcorn and candy at me and my friends and when we told them to stop, one of the kids came up and hocked a loogie at my feet.

Recently, DP2, a "father" brought his two young sons (like 4 and 5 years old) to the movie. Left them alone to go get popcorn for like ten minutes. They got up after a bit to go wander the theatre alone "where's daddy?". I could have taken one of those kids and walked out of the theatre if I wanted to. Movie started, the kids were okay for a bit (other than, you know, 4 and 5 year olds watching DEADPOOL), not too loud. About 70% through the movie though, they started getting irritable, screaming, fighting with each other, and the father does nothing. A woman goes up and asks the father to either quiet them down or take them out until they're calm, and the guy turns to her and is like "shut up, fucking fatass". The friend I'm with turns around and tells the guy that he's fucking rude (guy doesn't say anything to my friend, surprise, a woman talking back gets insulted, a man doesn't). Everyone tells the guy to take his kids out, he doesn't. He finally leaves after one of his kids started a full blown tauntrum with about 15 minutes left to the film.

It was just such a terrible experience. I felt bad for those kids, it's not their fault, and just disgusted with the guy.

Bad theatre experiences suck!

I've seen waaay too much of this type of bad parenting (or non-parenting actually). I don't get it.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
I had a couple of dickheads at my screening last night, too. They got up and left about 30 minutes in but not before shouting to the whole room on their way out about how shit the movie was. They looked like pure scumbags, dressed in tracksuits n' all. It must have become clear to them that it wasn't some dumb jump-scare filled mass market movie.

Loved the movie despite that, though.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
I walked out of Black Panther about halfway through

Because the theater was burning down.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I think there's something about this movie that quietly drives film audiences nuts. I watch dozens of movies a year theatrically and I've NEVER experienced a crowd like the one I watched Hereditary with.

Theatre was barely full but people were actively restless, leaving their seats repeatedly, brazenly voicing comments about obvious plot points and the guy directly behind me literally yelled in fright multiple times during the movie's final act... INCLUDING... and I've never seen this happen before... fleeing the theatre for the exit at one point after he was startled. He literally bolted out of his seat and fled for the exit.

I don't to to the theatre super often. Is it like a normal thing to bring your young child to an R-rated horror film? There was a girl who couldn't have been older than 10 at my showing of Hereditary. I mean, she seemed to take all the traumatic stuff pretty well and only got fidgety near the end but still that seems pretty intense for a kid of that age.
I'll always remember the time I caught a screening of Species in the States and a couple brought their entire family of young kids (ages 8-11) to watch the movie with them. Species of all things! The entire premise of that movie is an alien fucks unwitting men in an attempt to get pregnant and reproduce alien offspring. Natasha Henstridge spends half that movie naked. I felt guilty watching that film at 18.

Last edited:

Auctopus

Self-requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit like this is why I never ever go to films on opening weeks or at popular times anymore - you cannot trust the general public to behave normally/quietly.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I saw it the day after release. Also had a shitty experience. Two young woman behind me having full blown conversations. People towards the end making the clicking noises. People making jokes. Shit was terrible. Reason I hate going to the theaters.

Oct 29, 2017
This is why I dont go to theaters anymore. Movies only take about 3 months to hit digital or Blu Ray and you are basically spending the cost of a theater ticket to own it forever.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Got a guy making the clicking (or is it more of a popping?) noise in my screening as well. Super annoying and undermined some otherwise-intense moments.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Is it just me or are things only getting worse in theaters these days? I remember it only being every now and then if someone were that obnoxious, and now I'm actually surprised to make it out of a movie where there isn't at least one of them.

Last time I went, there was a couple who were having active conversations with the movie characters. Constantly. WTF? When they were told to please stop talking, the girl responded "Now I'm only gonna talk more", and then she kept shaking the ice in her cup repeatedly just to piss off the other people. I really don't understand the mindset. People around her got so fed up and left. Can someone explain to me how this is considered reasonable behavior in their minds?

durrTK

Oct 27, 2017
I had a guy in my row yell out spider man jokes during a couple of scenes. But not before he literally fired up a video on his phone with the volume full blast. Not by accident mind you, but literally watching it for a good 20 seconds and showing it to his buddy.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Comic book movies opening night have been by far the worst for me, and not because of poorly behaved kids/teens. There's always some small group of adult comic nerds near me that can't handle themselves. The worst of the bunch was when I saw Justice League. There was a guy a couple seats down (in his mid 30s) who was just yelling the entire time. "OH MY GOD!" "THAT WAS AMAZING!" "WONDERWOMAN IS SO HOT!", "HOLY SHIT, IT'S DEATHSTROKE!"

His friends in his group were only a little better behaved. Some random clapping and hollering. Also the snickering when there was shot of Gal Gadot's ass.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If horror movies are bad I will laugh at parts that are supposed to be scary. Last one I did that during was Insidious Last Key. It was so bad. I was cracking up during the movie.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
What is this clicking you guys are talking about? I don't think I've come across clickers lol.

It's a thing specific to Hereditary. In the context of the film, it's this really unnerving noise (even as mundane as it is in real life) and as such, it's incredibly annoying when people start repeating the sound ad nauseum in the theater.

Last edited:

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am torn with horror.
I love horror films, huge fan, one of the biggest you will find....
I try hard to get to the theater to support every one that I can to keep the genre going but I fucking hate theater crowds.
I hate it.
Back in the day , in Jersey there was a small theater that kind of catered to horror and sci fi so when you went you know you were with people who felt like you did (usually).
But these days in theaters people are just social inept assbags with no awareness of the environment around them

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
My showing last night was okay for the most part. Some teenage laughter. One round of clicks. I started falling asleep at one point and my wife gently nudged me because I snore.