Status
Not open for further replies.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Really useful, thank you. Please take care, k-pop ERA!

Hopefully not gauche to mention, but is the rumoured MILK club a real thing or is it just a rumour / off-the-cuff thing an idol mentioned a long while back? I found it kind of comforting to believe they had mutual support groups for each other.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Not Jonghyun. They were going to have their sixth tour kicking off in Japan this February. My friend was going to go so she could see them live just once.

He was so goddamn talented.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I haven't posted in here before, but I don't know what to do with myself right now.

SHINee is my #1. They've been hugely important to me for six years. I still don't think I've processed everything. I just feel sick. One of my close Shawol friends hasn't woken up yet, and I'm dreading her finding out.

My heart aches for his family. I can't imagine and don't really want to.

When SHINee came to the U.S. for their fanmeets, I flew out to both. And when they had their concert stops in NA, I flew across the country to LA. My family thought I was crazy, but I told them I had to take the opportunity while I could. I'm so grateful that I did.

Thank you, Jjong, for the good times and for comforting me when I was feeling down. I won't forget you <3

isuzu

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes there is no "problem" at all. I've been under treatment for chronic depression and tried suicide a few times and for the most part nothing triggered me. I simply felt like I didn't belong and I wanted to disappear.

I've been following SHINee since 2008, when they debuted. WG got me into kpop but SHINee got me into fangirling and deeper into the rabbit's hole. I bought all their merch and watched every show where they appeared. Key was and always will be my UB and Jjong was my #2. I'm going into full delusional mode now so I'll hide it and you read if you want. I know speculations at this point are just too soon and disrespectful but since his suicide letter was so vague I'll throw some stuff here.

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Anyway, sorry for the gigantic rant, and I'm really sorry if I said some hurtful shit. You're free to call me on my bullshit. I'm just a mess rn.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Jonghyun was always a big inspiration to me, not only with his music but for being an incredible person. He advocated for a number of causes, and was always talking about mental health issues, gender identity, student movements and so on. He also always openly spoke about dealing with depression on his radio show (one of the songs he composed for IU is literally called Depression Clock). He was very loving with fans, and would seriously reflect when he got things wrong too.

I feel absolutely crushed by this news. Rest in peace, Jonghyun.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very shocked and saddened to hear the news about Jonghyn. SHINee got me into K-POP and I loved his voice in particular. So powerful and raw ...and to hear this news. I can't believe it ...I just can't. I would have never thought I would see this day....not in one of the biggest K-pop groups in the world. I feel so sad for his family and especially his sister who knew he was going off the edge and couldn't save him. Prayers go out to the family, the crew. RIP King.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe this is real. I was reminiscing about SHINee yesterday and spent most of the day listening to his songs and to wake up to this... devastating. Rest in peace, Jonghyun. You'll forever be missed.

Lonely is no. 1 on Melon right now. Let Me Out and End of a Day are also in the top 10. I fucking can't.

Last edited:

BaraSailey

Oct 25, 2017
I still can't believe the news. Jonghyun always seemed like such a nice and caring guy, and I admired the way he spoke up about depression and mental health issues. He was so talented, and so young. Rest in peace, Jonghyun.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SHINee was one of the very first groups I've followed since debut. Thank you for everything Jonghyun. Rest in peace.

브라이언

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I send my deepest condolences to the Jonghyun's family and to the SHINee members and Shawols. This announced was absolutely shocking and I hope he can rest in peace. Hopefully it sheds a light into how big the mental health problem is in Korea.

R.I.P.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
Did not expect to wake up this morning and start crying. I'm legit at a loss for words... My condolences go out to his friends and family.

Rest In Peace, Jonghyun.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
This news is absolutely breaking my heart. Jonghyun always seemed so wise and spoke up about issues other idols wouldn't touch, including mental health. I have always respected him so much. It's actually really hard to accept this news. I'm just glad I didn't read it while at work or I would've been a mess.

Rest in peace.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Suicide? He was only 27. I wish South Korea (and Asia) were more accepting and open to mental health problems.

RIP

Yeah, Asia especially has a very serious problem with suicide and it's something they need to start addressing sooner rather than later.

More than half of the suicides that occur globally every year come from the South-East Asia and Western Pacific regions. Suicide is among the leading causes of death and, among young people, the leading cause of death in many Asian countries.

http://www.who.int/mental_health/publications/suicide_prevention_asia/en/

Mental health still isn't taken seriously enough in the US, but it's scary just how little Asia seems to be doing to tackle it.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
Horrible news. I can't even imagine the pressure of struggling with depression as a star in that industry.

Pendulum

Oct 25, 2017
South Korea and the extended K-Pop community has lost one of its brightest musical talents and agents for social change. This is heartbreaking for many involved and I feel enourmous grief for Jonghyun's family and close friends.

SK's attitude towards mental health is well known, but when one of the most outspoken idols who has frequently discussed depression in his music and in interviews seemingly did not have the support he needed... I ... fucking hell. I can only hope that his fans - Shawols, casual fans, and the new fans that will come across his music in the years to come - can honor him well and create a legacy of speaking up and cultivating a conversation about political/gender/mental health issues.

You will be greatly missed, Jonghyun.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
It is messed up how they don't treat mental illness seriously. Especially considering they have such a high suicide rate. I read on AKP that he just filmed a music video, a bright and colorful one. Now I'm wondering if SM will release it.

Ginta

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Nooo, super sad to hear. Was so talented and took great care of his friends and members. RIP.

Wasn't the thread supposed to be in the spotlight this month? Or did I totally miss it somehow?

G-Nitro

Oct 27, 2017
Columbia, MD
Read about this at work, and fought back tearing up. When I was finally breaking out of my stupid "I'll never listen to boy bands" attitude I held for for way too long, Shinee's Lucifer helped get past it. RIP Jonghyun.

LJKO

Nov 16, 2017
Without turning on my computer this morning as I was rushing to work due to the shitty weather I walked in to work and my colleague who is the same as me a huge kpop fan was crying; I ask her whats wrong and she said Shinee's Jonghyun suicide and died; I'm not a Shinee's fan but man it still hurts as a kpop fan and one whom stan for SMTOWN T_T; May you R.I.P Jonghyun and condolence to his family.

Last edited:

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
Rest In Peace, Jonghyun.

This is horrific and deeply troubling news to wake up to. Beyond being in a fatigued state, there are things you see and read at times which your mind isn't aware of how to process.

I'm reminded of "Baby KARA" member Sojin, who jumped from a building to her death. She was reported to have been depressed.

There was an infrequent K-Pop thread poster at the other place who had challenges with depression and thoughts of suicide. IIRC, they are a trans woman, though I was unsure of whether identity and acceptance were catalysts in what was a near attempt (carried out?) they made. I do remember the relief I felt when they later reappeared, and said they were in a better state.

If any of you know someone who is depressed, and having issues with their mental health and general well being *please* try to support them in any way that you can.

Sometimes there is no "problem" at all. [...]
Thank you for sharing your own experiences. I've enjoyed your posts over the years and along with Peru (more active now), Salazar, Edgeward and others, were on a list of regulars I wish(ed) would post more. Needless to say there are things far more important in life than posting on a forum, or the wishes of some rando on the internet.

I hope you continue to move forward and never feel awkward or ashamed to ask others to help you when in need, or simply be there to listen even if they aren't expected to "fix" anything.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not much but I'm going to put 'Lonely' into the ERA Community Playlist. It's the least I can do, I think.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is messed up how they don't treat mental illness seriously. Especially considering they have such a high suicide rate. I read on AKP that he just filmed a music video, a bright and colorful one. Now I'm wondering if SM will release it.
I hope they release it eventually. I think it would mean a lot to his fans.

I know it's not much but I'm going to put 'Lonely' into the ERA Community Playlist. It's the least I can do, I think.
That's really sweet. Thank you!

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that Jonghyun will be at peace now. My heart goes to his family and his friends. I remember when SHINee first debuted, loved them ever since.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. I confess I saw the news early and didn't want to be the one to share it here. My Twitter feed has been grieving for the past few hours and I just remembered how inconsolable I was when Satoru Iwata died, so I spent my time helping them instead.

This hasnt been brought up here yet so let me point out that Jonghyun was incredibly open and honest about his seasonal affective depression. He used his fame and access (as a radio DJ) to advocate on LGBTQ and mental health issues.

Oct 25, 2017
As you may know, Korea is still not very aware on mental health issues. Here is Jonghyun giving advice in his own words on how to talk to someone who tells you about their depression.

Jonghyun: 'Everyone lives like that. You're not the only one having a hard time.' This saying. For me, this is the worst way to comfort someone. Comparing situations with other people...

That's why, I think, when comforting someone, it's important to consider that something that may be invisible to me can still exist. There'll be someone who'll get hurt while I'm talking about this. But bec I've also received hurt (before), I just wanted to say this.

Jonghyun: But since I've been hurt before (I've experienced hurt), I just want to try and say this to my listeners. That rather than comparing that person's situation with someone else's situation, it's better to just have a conversation with that person. That's what I think.

Before this I only knew about Jonghyun from watching him in Knowing Bros. What an incredibly talented and beloved man he was.

I also want to bring up this affected SM and his fellow performers there very deeply. Everyone has cancelled their schedules and plans have been put in place for private and public wakes.

I do hope this causes ripples in how the Kpop industry takes care of their performers' overall health and quality of life, not just mental health. It has to start from their grueling trainee phase.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
As a casual Shinee fan, this was horrible to read about. He was my favorite of the group.

I really hope this is a wake up call for more Koreans, it's true how mental health is not taken seriously at all.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Jonghyun's final note. It's really grim so only read it if you are prepared.

Last edited:

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped after the first sentence in that letter. I think I might like to read it at some point, but not right now.

Pendulum

Oct 25, 2017

Jonghyun's final note. It's really grim so only read it if you are prepared.

Nine was asked by Jonghyun to be the one to release his final message. She lead into the message with her own thoughts:
DRXVBoJXkAE0yvA.jpg:large

Jonghyun's last Instagram post was an image of lyrics from Dear Cloud's "Beside You" (Nine is a member of Dear Cloud). The lyrics have been translated as
I had a thought while curling up in a dark room alone/ When you might regret letting go of everyone. Have the sighs and the restless wounds stopped by now. 'I pray only that you aren't hurting. I hope only that you will be happy. 'Please don't try to be alone in the darkness/ Don't torture yourself/ Don't torture you.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Here's an alternate translation someone shared on r/kpop. It was easier for me to understand some of its thoughts. As everyone else said, please don't read this if you're in a bad place mentally or emotionally.

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
I read part of an interview where he said he has a natural tendency to get a small, intense focus, tunnel vision of some kind, and that the radio show helped widen his perspective.

I had once seen a TED talk by a guy who almost killed himself who said small focus is how it is when you are driven to suicide. Your perspective shrinks smaller and smaller until it's just you and your pain and the dark, and if you're stuck there too long you think of death as the escape because your perspective isn't wide enough to see the other possibilities.

That's why it is important to reach out to those you know are suffering. You can make yourself available, but the depression can easily lead them to rule out seeking your support as a possible help. Viable options don't seem viable, ways out seem like walls. That is why if you know someone in such a place, being the light for them is better than telling them your shoulder is available to lean on.

Status
Not open for further replies.