• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite track?

• One of the basura trio (ITAKY, Yikes, All Mine)

Votes: 100 21.6%
  • Wouldn't Leave

Votes: 17 3.7%
  • No Mistakes (Jmon certified)

Votes: 39 8.4%
  • Ghost Town

Votes: 248 53.7%
  • Violent Crimes

Votes: 58 12.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After multiple listens, this album is seriously amazing. All killer, no filler. Every single song has a great vibe to it. If you're looking for someone to drop mindblowing rap bars, why tf are you listening to Kanye? Dude said "mayonnaise colored Benz I push miracle whips". The production is right up there with every other great height he's reached. And the songs all have a voice to them, it's no pop bullshit. Yeah I kinda cringed at Violent Crimes just because of how stereotypical it is in its views of both genders, but I can still appreciate the musicianship in it. This album will be viewed in the upper echelon of his discography when it's all said and done. It's way more artistically focused and cohesive than Yeezus and TLOP, and maybe even 808s.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That Yikes beat and hook is gonna keep me running back to ye for awhile yet.

Oct 27, 2017
everyone I've spoken to outside the forum, even people that aren't Kanye fans, are really enjoying it

Given your amount of posting in this thread, I'm honestly impressed that you've had time to accurately assess outside opinion in the whopping 24 hours that this album has been out for.

(Really though, it's nonsense to say that it's only era that's feeling this way)

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People must be nuts ti suggest this album is better than MBDTF, no way.

The album is good but it's not on the same level as MBDTF, come on.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Gets better with every listen.

Ghost Town seriously feels like it belongs on MBDTF.

We're still the kids we used to be

I put my hand on a stove, to see if I still bleed

C7NzCoiXgAE-PkA-920x585.jpg

Yeah, and nothing hurts anymore, I feel kinda free

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've digested two new records today:

Kanye West - Ye
Shygirl - Cruel Practice

The latter is way better. Shorter, unsung, and it bangs.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I fully acknowledge that this is your opinion and you're fully entitled to it. But I cannot believe in any way, whatsoever, that someone thinks Ye is a better album than My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy.

Glad I fucked off outta this thread because that dudes rankings would've tilted me something fierce ... just WOW

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
yeah putting this over mbdtf is a weirdass take. i dont even like mbdtf that much tbh. too many endless ballads that lose steam half way through.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've digested those two, as well as the new Father John Misty album. They're all great.

It's going to go down pseudo-'memorable' because it's self-important in a time where everyone is going to listen. It doesn't come off that calculated though and it never hits the highs it hopes to achieve/nor does it find an expression inside the ideas (which frequently land). His content is what we thought it was and that's a negative.

Kanye has an artist's spirit that I envy and love but this record is not his finest moment. It won't define him but it can be launching point if he can un-corral himself in Wyoming.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Welp

This thread gave me G.O.O.D Fridays, something I never knew existed. Listening now.. wow I'm pissed I missed it

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
I realize that after reading this thread I am not supposed to enjoy this dumpster fire, but after listening to it yesterday I really loved it.

Not everything is A++, but as someone who struggles with depression and bipolar there was a few things that are said in the album that really grabbed me. I'll keep listening to it, but I may skip the first track every once in awhile.

bomma man

Oct 25, 2017

The College Dropout
Late Registration
MBDTF
808s & Heartbreak
Graduation
Yeezus
ye
TLOP

:thinking:

Gets better with every listen.

Ghost Town seriously feels like it belongs on MBDTF.

We're still the kids we used to be

I put my hand on a stove, to see if I still bleed

C7NzCoiXgAE-PkA-920x585.jpg

Yeah, and nothing hurts anymore, I feel kinda free

IVE BEEN TRYIN

TO MAKE YOU LOVE ME

BUT EVERYTHING I TRY JUST TAKES YOU FURTHER FROM ME

crying.gif

Dunno if i'm cynical but both these lines are waaaack

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Not too surprisingly, this is Kanye West's least well received record critically speaking.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/ye/kanye-west

Still a pretty decent score.

Could we not bring up metacritic scores in a thread about music for once

Keep that garbage in the video game section if possible too

EDIT: There are 6 reviews so far, 3 of which are between 75-80 and the other 3 are between 40-50.

Divisive Ye is best Ye.

Mike Double U

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Way Too Early Kanye Album Rankings:

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Yeezus

The College Dropout

The Life of Pablo

Late Registration

Ye

Graduation

808s & Heartbreak

Last edited:

RedEye

Oct 25, 2017
after listening a few more times Ye's flow sounds a lot better and he raps with a lot more clarity on this than TLOP. the lyrics are probably about on part with it tho(outside of no more parties in la).

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Ghost Town is so damn good.
I hope somehow the djs at the clubs here sneak in the last hook of the song so my crew can get turnt lol so feel good

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Gave this a listen. I guess we're ranking so I might as well.

MBDTF
808s & Heartbreak
Late Registration
Yeezus
College Dropout
Graduation
Life of Pablo
ye

Hope that Cudi album is better (It will be)

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So i skimmed through this and i just dont get it. Monotone spoken word with boring beats. What is there to like? Give me old Kanye any day over the new rubbish hes putting out.
Ye stans contorting themselves into pretzels to find reasons to love this album when if it were by another artists with the same bars and beats they wouldn't give it a second spin.

There are a couple of good songs on here. Nothing great, nothing especially memorable, and certainly nothing remarkable. It's dry, bland and boring. A combination we've not really seen from Kanye before. I don't think even stans will be spinning this album this time next month.

Ye is the Sea of Thieves of hip-hop right now.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Given your amount of posting in this thread, I'm honestly impressed that you've had time to accurately assess outside opinion in the whopping 24 hours that this album has been out for.

(Really though, it's nonsense to say that it's only era that's feeling this way)
lol people really won't stop complaining about people who like an album posting in a thread about that album

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Ye stans contorting themselves into pretzels to find reasons to love this album when if it were by another artists with the same bars and beats they wouldn't give it a second spin.

There are a couple of good songs on here. Nothing great, nothing especially memorable, and certainly nothing remarkable. It's dry, bland and boring. A combination we've not really seen from Kanye before. I don't think even stans will be spinning this album this time next month.

or maybe....

we just like it?

Haven't you sworn off supporting Kanye since the Maga tweets. Why'd you even listen?

D65

Oct 26, 2017
People who put 808s at the bottom are aliens.

Ghost Town is probably top 5 songs ever.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Why don't people just let people enjoy something without calling them names?

Wtf is wrong with y'all.

Fucking hell that's the worst part about this place. Can't like something without being called a stan or fanboy.

People have different tastes and get different things out of stuff. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean they are the weird ones contorting themselves to like it. Fucking hell man.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
or maybe....

we just like it?
Sure. Some people like Sea of Thieves too. Think it's the best thing since sliced bread and will bend over backwards to make any number of excuses for its current state as a shell of the expected and hoped for product. Doesn't make it any less sad to watch.

Ghost Town is probably top 5 songs ever.
I can certainly see it in someone's top 10 Kanye songs. I have it in my top 30 Kanye songs, personally.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to it again today, I maybe like it a tiny bit more but it's still just so unremarkable. It's not bad, it's just so dry and boring by Kanye standards. There's some decent songs here but nothing amazing. Here's my track by track thoughts.

I Thought About Killing You - I actually like this a decent amount. Ye's lyrics aren't anything particularly profound but the beat is nice and I really like the way it switches. As a throwaway intro to a longer, better album I'd probably be all about it, but as it stands it's alright. Easily his worst opener now that I think about it though.

Yikes - Great hook, meh verses. The beat is good, you can groove to it. It's solid but unexciting.

All Mine - The hook is grating and Kanye spits some of his worst verses. Could easily be a TLOP leftover, microwaved with some bad topical references but still frozen in the middle.

Wouldn't Leave - Great vibe, great beat but the song doesn't do much for me overall. By the second half i'm always a bit bored, I guess because Ye isn't doing anything that interesting with it. Another spoken word section is very unnecessary! Still like it well enough.

Mistakes - It's fine but totally forgettable. It might be a soul beat but it hardly holds up to the sort of thing he's capable of. "I don't take advice from people more successful than me" sure is a Kanye ass thing to say. On a side note, Ye's grumblings about being in debt always ring hollow to me. His idea of debt is so far away from regular people's. He's always gonna be richer than 99% of the population.

Ghost Town - Not feeling the hype here. It really sounds like a demo, the vocal performances are suspect as hell. Cudi's singing is so, so bad, and Kanye sounds like he could be singing his verses for the very first time. At least it has that wavy outro. There's maybe a great song buried in here, but i'm not hearing it.

Violent Crimes - Kanye's earnest thoughts on his daughter maybe wouldn't ring so hollow if the rest of the album (and indeed TLOP) weren't full of him having fun with playful misogyny. And sure a lot of the sexism across his music is him playing the part as a sort of performance art but when you turn around and make a song about being worried your daughter will grow up and become sexualised, maybe don't also have a song on the album where you makes jokes about a bunch of women who were a part of sexual scandals? I don't know, the song does nothing for me, there's nothing remotely deep about his thoughts on fatherhood.

People want to call this a deep introspective look at mental illness but I just don't think there's anything profound or thoughtful here. Hell, The Life of Pablo did a better job of showing his bipolar tendencies with its Jackson pollack tracklist of different sounds and vibes that took you from him at his highest to him at his lowest. Nothing against anyone who likes it, you do you, but that's how I feel about Ye and ya'll know I've basically been a stan up until this point.

Toxik

Banned
May 22, 2018
Please think about who and what you are supporting before purchasing or streaming this album. Links to all options you have to listen to the record will be below. But remember what Kanye has said on his worldwide platform, and that his album addresses none of it. His comments still have an effect and you can choose whether or not that makes a difference.
OhVz.gif

giphy.gif

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Sure. Some people like Sea of Thieves too. Think it's the best thing since sliced bread and will bend over backwards to make any number of excuses for its current state as a shell of the expected and hoped for product. Doesn't make it any less sad to watch.

you're doing the most.

You've been in every Kanye thread expressing your displeasure for the guy and how you wouldn't be supporting him. But now you're here (because of course you are) and you're quite upset that people dare to like the tape?

Get over yourself. Music is subjective. It's one thing to critique the project but you are doing too much.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
College Dropout
Yeezus
808s
MBDTF
TLOP
Graduation
Late Registration

poopty scoop

Ye

(imo)

However, I've started to appreciate LR a lot more in the last few years so might need to make a change there.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Production on point, which was never in any doubt. Everything else though.... Not too sure. Still salty about his Sacramento concert meltdown so I didn't give any coins. Sorry not sorry

On further listen, I actually kind of like No Mistakes and Ghost Town. Production, samples, and features were all on point in those songs. So I guess the album isn't a total wash.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
stans contorting themselves into pretzels to find reasons to love this album when if it were by another artists with the same bars and beats they wouldn't give it a second spin.
the opposite of this is true. if this was an album by another artist people would be praising it to the hilt and not looking for excuses to trash it because we all have to attack Kanye to prove what good people we are

Status
Not open for further replies.