• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not butthurt, just confused that so many people, particularly those that started with cold steel, seem to gloss over one of the best games in the series, esp in comparison to cs 1 and 2. People want to share experiences that they cherished with others. I don't understand how people will run around talking to dozens of NPCs and then decide an entire game just isn't worth playing.

There's no rush to beat these games. Not like geofront is out or something lol. So I just don't understand why someone wouldn't just savor the experience of an amazing soundtrack and farewell to a beloved cast. Third chapter has some of the most poignant moments in the entire series. I just wish you would experience them too, as Falcom intended.

No one ever said it's not worth playing. In fact if you read my posts you will see that I was literally going to go back and play it next. So I have no idea what you are going on about.

I'm saying that when it comes to the over arching story of Kiseki, it seems to be less important than say...knowing who Josh and Estelle are, or understanding what happened to Crossbell City etc....

Add this to the fact it's only on PC (outside of Japan) and most JRPG fans are mostly console gamers.....and it's easy to recommend it as one of the games you can skip and just watch a summary.

I haven't read much about CS4 to avoid spoilers so who knows, maybe everything will somehow wind back to Third l ol

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
No one ever said it's not worth playing. In fact if you read my posts you will see that I was literally going to go back and play it next. So I have no idea what you are going on about.

I'm saying that when it comes to the over arching story of Kiseki, it seems to be less important than say...knowing who Josh and Estelle are, or understanding what happened to Crossbell City etc....

Add this to the fact it's only on PC (outside of Japan) and most JRPG fans are mostly console gamers.....and it's easy to recommend it as one of the games you can skip and just watch a summary.

I haven't read much about CS4 to avoid spoilers so who knows, maybe everything will somehow wind back to Third l ol

you just have a fundamentally different view of the series and its strengths than I do then

it's about the characters and dialogue to me. That's what makes this series special and I can't understand missing a whole game of development or viewing a recap of what they went through in third chapter and then proceeding on to future games as if relatively little of value was skipped over by doing so. If all you care about or prioritize are the broad strokes, then yes, third chapter seems less impactful than SC or Ao or etc. but we'll see I suppose. I read some musings that third chapter has a lot of cs3 and 4 foreshadowing but I can't verify that

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta ask though, what's the point in debating whether something related to video games is "acceptable" ? It's a freaking video game, you do whatever you want with it. Play it, watch a video of it, cook and eat it, I don't care.
Just don't expect me to pretend that a mere video can truly be a substitute to actually playing it on your pace and actually interacting with the real thing. Because it's not.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't though.

then it makes no sense to me

would you read a wiki for an episode of a tv show or read a summary of a chapter when you thought the strength of a series was its characters/dialogue just to get on with the plot?

I just can't understand doing that. Don't you want to see and savor every interaction? Heck, it even has pre-neutered cold steel olivier in his prime

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
then it makes no sense to me

would you read a wiki for an episode of a tv show or read a summary of a chapter when you thought the strength of a series was its characters/dialogue just to get on with the plot?

I just can't understand doing that. Don't you want to see and savor every interaction? Heck, it even has pre-neutered cold steel olivier in his prime

This is the last time I'm going to respond to you because I no longer think you are reading what I am posting.

You seem to be under the mistaken idea that I'm arguing Sky the 3rd isn't worth playing. For the second time, IT IS WORTH PLAYING. From my experience, all of them are. They are great games. Playing a game is always better than watching a video or reading about it. Duh...

I was stating that if you HAVE to skip games, for whatever reason. Maybe you got 6 kids and only have time to play Cold Steel. Maybe you just don't like older JRPGs only available on the PC. Whatever your reason I don't care. I was making the argument that Sky the Third is the LEAST important to the developing story that Trails is trying to tell at this point. Not that it's the least fun, or has the worst characters or any of that. It just has the least bearing on the story that they are currently giving us (as far as up to CS3 anyways, again I can't speak on CS4). If you want to skip a game, in my opinion it's the easiest to do so without ruining later games.

If you think I'm wrong, please feel free to point out what game you think is better to skip.

Again, for the last fucking time, I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T play this wonderful game because it's bad. I don't know how many ways I can state this.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
This is the last time I'm going to respond to you because I no longer think you are reading what I am posting.

You seem to be under the mistaken idea that I'm arguing Sky the 3rd isn't worth playing. For the second time, IT IS WORTH PLAYING. From my experience, all of them are. They are great games. Playing a game is always better than watching a video or reading about it. Duh...

I was stating that if you HAVE to skip games, for whatever reason. Maybe you got 6 kids and only have time to play Cold Steel. Maybe you just don't like older JRPGs only available on the PC. Whatever your reason I don't care. I was making the argument that Sky the Third is the LEAST important to the developing story that Trails is trying to tell at this point. Not that it's the least fun, or has the worst characters or any of that. It just has the least bearing on the story that they are currently giving us (as far as up to CS3 anyways, again I can't speak on CS4). If you want to skip a game, in my opinion it's the easiest to do so without ruining later games.

If you think I'm wrong, please feel free to point out what game you think is better to skip.

Again, for the last fucking time, I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T play this wonderful game because it's bad. I don't know how many ways I can state this.

Only have time to play cold steel when it has padded crap like cold steel 2 that is like over twice as long and has dramatically worse writing and pacing. If you had to summarize parts of Kiseki through YouTube I think you'd be better off doing it with third chapter sized chunks of that one.

Anyways, if you wanna gloss over it you do you. I don't get why you're so mad and indignant over this. I'm just saying that I've played it and it has some of the best moments in the series, esp if you like the sky cast at all. In the same way that you want others to experience wonderful things you have experienced, I don't get why you would pick that game over others to marginalize just to hurry along the plot.

Estelle's talk with Renne at the end is probably the best writing in the entire series, or up there.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really want to be playing persona 5R and Cold Steel 3 at teh same time but I know I won't be able to resist starting them both straight away lol

Erpy

May 31, 2018
Official summary videos for Crossbell.

If that were the case, with Geofront's issue tracker being in the low twenties, that might kinda suck since it'd be just in time to nip their patch's release in the bud. (they said they'd halt their effort in case of an official Crossbell release)

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Lads, they've done it

Love it.
These things go such a long way in making the games feel even more interconnected.

QUOTE="Kromeo, post: 29440746, member: 10357"]
I don't really want to be playing persona 5R and Cold Steel 3 at teh same time but I know I won't be able to resist starting them both straight away lol
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same. And then RE3 and FF7 on top of that, it's insane.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Knowing me I probably won't touch C3 until the release of CS4 in the west. I have been spoiled being able to jump directly into the next game.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Knowing me I probably won't touch C3 until the release of CS4 in the west. I have been spoiled being able to jump directly into the next game.
Honestly probably the best thing to do considering CS3 and 4 were supposed to be one game and I think we all know what happened with CS1's ending because 1/2 were also supposed to be one game

god I hope 4 is released on PC day 1

Magic Kaito

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I considered this, but ultimately decided to play CS3 when it releases on PC. Want to be a part of the OT fun when it's most active, and the gap will make CS4 feel more fresh.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018

There are pros and cons to waiting for an arc to finish before jumping in.

Pros: don't have to suffer through cliffhangers, and don't need to worry about whether a localization will happen or not.
Cons: you need to wait longer to play a great game, and the risk of Trails burnout is much higher.

Personally, I'm too impatient to wait for the arc to finish before I play the latest game, yet I can see the appeal of this strategy.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Going forward, I think I'll still play Kiseki games before the next game is released, but I'll probably start waiting until the next game is at least announced. Much as I enjoyed playing CS3 at launch, I wish I would have waited since CS4 was at least announced given how brutal the cliffhanger is, plus I could have gotten to play the game with the localization patch.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I've finally started my replay of CSIII. I'll probably write my overall opinion on it once I finish it as I only wrote things as they were coming up on the OT.

I had completely forgotten how CSIII has a genuine in-universe sci-fi novel in it. I don't recall many fantasy rpgs with futuristic stories about their own world. It's really neat (also, Red Moon Rose has to be a legitimate short story in terms of length. They wrote a lot more than they usually write for these books)

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I kept hearing that CS3 was so much easier than CS2 and so far I am not finding that to be the case at all lol. Sure I struggled with a few fights in CS2 but I feel like every fight in CS3 is a pain in the ass (boss fights that is). I just fought a boss in chapter 2 that literally was able to regen 1/4 of it's health and increase its damage and speed faster than I could break it. I ended up winning the fight the first try but god damn it was close!

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Man I kept hearing that CS3 was so much easier than CS2 and so far I am not finding that to be the case at all lol.
Me neither, it's much harder (on Hard) so far.

Although one thing that annoys me about those games (CS3 feels worse than the previous ones for that) is that if you don't enter some boss fights with full CP bars you're kinda screwed? I just fought a boss that killed me twice, I reloaded, killed a few trash mobs to up my CP, retried the boss and demolished it. 🤷‍♀️

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I recall an Einhel Keep boss that was constantly wrecking my party until I remembered my guest party member's Brave Order that made even its buffed attacks do middling damage.

Me neither, it's much harder (on Hard) so far.

Although one thing that annoys me about those games (CS3 feels worse than the previous ones for that) is that if you don't enter some boss fights with full CP bars you're kinda screwed? I just fought a boss that killed me twice, I reloaded, killed a few trash mobs to up my CP, retried the boss and demolished it. 🤷‍♀️
In CS3, it wasn't long until I felt like having a full BP meter before meeting a boss was more beneficial to party survival than having enough CP to spam S-Crafts. Though having those at the ready in order to steal turns was never not ideal.

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the Brave Orders can definitely turn the battles in your favor. It just feels like a lot to juggle trying to keep your CP at max for the big S-Crafts while also trying not to run out of BP or die haha.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
In CS3, it wasn't long until I felt like having a full BP meter before meeting a boss was more beneficial to party survival than having enough CP to spam S-Crafts. Though having those at the ready in order to steal turns was never not ideal.
Yeah true, I also had that which meant I could tank a bunch of the hits that otherwise almost nuked my party right at the start. It's a bit silly...

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Yeah the Brave Orders can definitely turn the battles in your favor. It just feels like a lot to juggle trying to keep your CP at max for the big S-Crafts while also trying not to run out of BP or die haha.

I recommend prioritizing BP over CP. Taking advantage of Brave Orders is the key to cheesing battles in Cold Steel 3, for sure. I always started with Juna's order to get enemies into a broken state, and then I would abuse Kurt's order so that the enemies never got another turn after I broke them. Any Brave Order that has an accelerate effect is also really good, although the party members with these orders are not always available. S-Crafts are not nearly as useful in this game as they are in Cold Steel 2. Use your S-Crafts too soon, and the boss will get in some turns and can wreck your party in an instant.

barjed

Project Lead
Verified
Aug 31, 2018
I finished CSIII yesterday, which also finishes my Kiseki marathon I started last July. Went through all the games. I won't lie, I feel kinda hollow now. The wait for CSIV will be a difficult one.

Anyway, about CSIII. Chapter 1 and 2 are amazing and until that point I was sure this is going to be my favorite in the series. Unfortunately the game loses steam starting from Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 feels like a pure filler. I am also not a fan of some of the twists, feels like they have been shoehorned a bit.

This doesn't change the fact that now I am Kiseki fan for life :)

Oct 28, 2017
Getting around to playing Zero for the first time, and Lloyd is a lot smarter and a whole lot less hot-blooded Shonen-Protagonist dumb than I first thought, except after every sentence that comes out of his mouth I expect him to start screaming about drills and spiral energy...

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
[I QUOTE="afreaknamedpete, post: 29633572, member: 21274"]
Getting around to playing Zero for the first time, and Lloyd is a lot smarter and a whole lot less hot-blooded Shonen-Protagonist dumb than I first thought, except after every sentence that comes out of his mouth I expect him to start screaming about drills and spiral energy...
[/QUOTE]

Almost finish with Ao and like Lloyd more than Rean so far as he seems more grounded I haven't played CS3 and CS4 so my opinion of Rean could change.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Has there been any update on geofront?
unknown.png

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing the edited translation of Zero, personally, but this news is exciting! I'm looking forward to more people playing this excellent game and reading their reactions.

Edit: the issue tracker dropped to 7. Whoa!

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Finished AO. This is one of those cases where you know you just played something special that will stay with you. I'm glad I managed to play through the Crossbell saga before the PC release of CS3, understanding (and caring ) about what happened in Crossbell is important going forward.

Regarding the ending
it's strange that Ouroboros would just leave something with the ability to change the world behind, but I guess that with Mariabell becoming an Anguis they would have control over it in the end.

Just finish Ao today and what a game also I thought this unofficial translation was actually solid and in regards to your spoiler
with them leaving the ability of the Azure Tree behind it makes me wonder if there was a possibility that it was flawed. Also it kind of blew my mind that they Lloyd & Co had already died but were saved by KeA's ability, I was always curious about that flashback scene in Zero.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It has a "therefore" symbol between the 7 and the 0 instead of a slash. Not sure what that's about.

RELEASE IT NOW PLS
Apparently it's down to six, according to Zerker on Twitter. The number on the site is updated manually by one person though, I think.

Floofy mentioned on Reddit one of them is a major bug with the final boss. She said it's easily reproducible, hopefully that helps with fixing it soon.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Floofy mentioned on Reddit one of them is a major bug with the final boss. She said it's easily reproducible, hopefully that helps with fixing it soon.
It's 2020. Release that shit and patch later!

I AM NOT ENTIRELY SERIOUS I LOVE EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THIS PROJECT AND EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD AND I WANT NOTHING MORE THAN FOR THE TRANSLATORS TO BE HAPPY WITH THE INITIAL RELEASE

..but I'd still love to start playing Zero this weekend.