Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
As an immigrant and the son of immigrants, these are the kind of posts that made me hesitant to support Bernie.

You do not need to belittle other issues to promote medicare for all.

That wasn't my intention, was just trying to show how some in the media are being really two faced towards a potential nominee, but in the future I will keep immigration reform and M4A separate, asides for also wanting M4A to be available to immigrants.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I get why people rhetorically feel the need to bring it up, but yeah, Bernie dropped out and endorsed Hillary, who had the most delegates. And candidates this time should do the same.
Clinton did more than have the most delegates. She secured a majority of delegates necessary to make her the presumptive nominee. Something Sanders likely won't do in 2020. Sanders' campaign also floated the idea of using superdelegates to win the nomination if Clinton didn't secure the majority.

www.politico.com

Clinton secures majority of pledged delegates

“I really wish my mother could be here tonight," said Clinton.

Just face it. If Bernie Sanders was not the likely candidate to come out of this contest with the most votes or delegates, Bernie Sanders would have given the same answer as every person on that stage.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
People say they want the good Proportional Representation, but they really want the bad First Past The Post, apparently.
I think what they're saying is they don't want yet another milquetoast centrist that is going to do the bare minimum to not rock the boat. Because that doesn't really work out for a lot of people anymore.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think what they're saying is they don't want yet another milquetoast centrist that is going to do the bare minimum to not rock the boat. Because that doesn't really work out for a lot of people anymore.
I think he's saying that people's opinions on how elections should be run and the role of superdelegates change based on who the frontrunner is.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That wasn't my intention, was just trying to show how some in the media are being really two faced towards a potential nominee, but in the future I will keep immigration reform and M4A separate, asides for also wanting M4A to be available to immigrants.
I'm sorry, I overreacted. I'm sick of a lot of the leftist discourse online, but at the end of the day, most of these people want the same things I do.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Clinton did more than have the most delegates. She secured a majority of delegates necessary to make her the presumptive nominee. Something Sanders likely won't do in 2020. Sanders' campaign also floated the idea of using superdelegates to win the nomination if Clinton didn't secure the majority.

www.politico.com

Just face it. If Bernie Sanders was not the likely candidate to come out of this contest with the most votes or delegates, Bernie Sanders would have given the same answer as every person on that stage.
Right. But Bernie would be hypothetically wrong to think that way and so are these candidates. like Bernie was wrong to make that comment in 2016 - he isn't retroactively vindicated because other candidates have similar ideas or vice versa.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately believe that any Dem candidate will easily beat Trump come Election Day, except Bloomberg.

I don't.

1) The Trump base is still the Trump base. Most of them still love the guy.
2) The economy is doing well and most people put their short-term interests first.
3) Trump is emboldened to get away with any amount of fuckery he can.
4) Moscow Mitch has blocked every voting security bill put on the table.
5) If the vote somehow goes to the Supreme Court again, the numbers aren't on our side.

That's why electability IS a concern in the general. Warren is IMO the best shot we've got. She doesn't have a lot of skeletons in the closet, she has practical experience fighting for working folk, she's progressive enough to attract the young vote but folksy enough to play in Peoria, she has an emotional empathy that comes through big on her stump speeches, and she can light people up in a debate like it ain't no thing.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
As an immigrant and the son of immigrants, these are the kind of posts that made me hesitant to support Bernie.

I think your overreating here. He was comparing and contrasting responses in the media not necessarily making a judgment about either one.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think he's saying that people's opinions on how elections should be run and the role of superdelegates change based on who the frontrunner is.
Probably. But a primary race is different than a general election process also. I don't think there is anything wrong with thinking that if a person was clearly in front, but maybe not an absolute majority (nearly impossible anyway with so many people running), then yes, that person should be pushed over the edge. The only issue comes into play is if 1st and 2nd are very close.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.

The irony of 2016->2020 may end up being that all the things that were argued for in 2016 (Caucuses, Open Primaries, Fewer Superdelegates) because they aided Bernie at the time may end up backfiring. (Caucuses help coalesce moderate votes right now, with other options available anti-H conservaitve I/R votes aren't locked for Bernie this time, fewer Superdelegates increases the delegate % needed to just ask the superDs to put you over the top as a collective)

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
so

can all of us on Era -- no matter who we back, have backed, or will back in this race -- call a truce for 24 hours and agree that Mike Bloomberg is an unmitigated piece of shit who shouldn't sniff the nomination because he is, in fact, the metaphorical bastard child of Droopy, Harvey Weinstein, George W. Bush, and Garbodor from Pokemon Black/White?
Man, must we loop Garbodor in with that crowd? Did Garbodor ask to be born as garbage? At least Weinstein and Dubya had some agency to determine whether they would be a festering trash heap or not. Garbodor had that choice thrust upon it from its early days as a little Trubbish.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

www.politico.com

Bernie was wrong in 16. He is right in 2020, the current year. If things were different and he said otherwise then we would be saying he is wrong. Lets focus on the fact that its wrong to have a system in place that ignores the will of the people.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Well, ripping corrupt, rich, white men a new asshole in public view is her specialty. It's too bad she stinks at the campaigning part.
Thats the downside of being the smartest person in the room on a topic while having all the conversations revolve around those topics. She's too into policy to streamline her own stances into workable soundbites.

Clinton had similar problems, amplified by her own political opportunism (a trait we generally laud in men but find distasteful in women) and an over-reliance on a nepotistic beltway campaign staff who kept feeding her trash fire "soundbites" that made her sound fake.

So bernie needs about 15%+ more delegates for him not to be fucked by the super delegates? Is that even possible?
Yes. Biden is hanging onto viability by a thread in a lot of big states and Bloomberg is likely taking a big fucking hit after tonight. If the moderate wing continues to vote split up to Super Tuesday its real possible that he is the only viable candidate in major delegate states like California and Texas.

If the most recent poll of Nevada from Data for Progress is accurate (35% Sanders, 16% Warren, 15% Buttigieg, 14% Biden) Sanders will clean the fuck up there above current projected delegate counts.

Really depends on how the fickle voters who keep moving from Biden > Warren > Biden > Buttigieg > Klobuchar > Bloomberg > All the previous four react to this debate and Nevada. If Biden does well enough to consolidate he'll return to a viable 1/2 with Sanders. If they continue flocking to Bloomberg for his massive add buys it'll push Bloomberg into that role, though I think he's got a far lower ceiling than Biden in the primaries. Maybe they inexplicably pick Pete or Klob after tonight?

The real question is if Warren gets a second look after this debate, especially if she passes viability in Nevada. I don't think she'd have the juice to actually take a directly competing with Sanders seat unless the rest of the field bottoms out and the moderates take her as the lesser of two progressives, but if she supplants Biden and co. as the only non-Sanders candidate with viability in Texas, California, New York, etc. she's going to be in it for the duration and will be a major player come the convention.

The race in 2016 was, for a long time, really really close. It'd be one thing if the convention was in a week and any of these candidates were neck and neck with sanders, but that's not the case. the sanders campaign floated the idea of swaying superdelegates with a month and change to go; it's very early for these candidates to more or less be saying "I know i can't win outright, but what if i had superdelegates?" (fwiw, i am in total agreement with people who think SDEs are bad)

anyway, it is a moot point, because ultimately the 2016 democratic convention was not contested. bernie dropped out and endorsed hillary.
It wasn't close. Clinton won by double digits in vote percentage and a similar amount in delegates. It was a foregone conclusion that with only two candidates that Clinton would have a clear majority well before the primary process even ended.

Sanders was playing poltiics in 2016. Anyone claiming otherwise is either lying to themselves or to everyone else. In doing so he forced a seat at the table for the progressive wing of the party, which has meaningfully advanced the party platform as a whole. But lets not revise history to act like he wasn't playing similar political games to what all the other candidates were suggesting tonight.

In fact in 2016 his campaign was all about caucuses and I'd expect that after Iowa they'll want them all gone completely, as while it benefited him as an outsider in that race it blew up spectacularly to his detriment in this one.

Sanders hasn't been winning elections for >30 years sa an independent without knowing and employing political maneuvering.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, I overreacted. I'm sick of a lot of the leftist discourse online, but at the end of the day, most of these people want the same things I do.

It's alright, I looked at my post after I saw your reply and realized it could be seen as such. I mean no trivization of the issue. I'll edit it to clarify I'm talking about Chris Matthews and not posters here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't.

1) The Trump base is still the Trump base. Most of them still love the guy.
2) The economy is doing well and most people put their short-term interests first.
3) Trump is emboldened to get away with any amount of fuckery he can.
4) Moscow Mitch has blocked every voting security bill put on the table.
5) If the vote somehow goes to the Supreme Court again, the numbers aren't on our side.

That's why electability IS a concern in the general. Warren is IMO the best shot we've got. She doesn't have a lot of skeletons in the closet, she has practical experience fighting for working folk, she's progressive enough to attract the young vote but folksy enough to play in Peoria, she has an emotional empathy that comes through big on her stump speeches, and she can light people up in a debate like it ain't no thing.

Nothing in polling or the last two states indicates Warren is the most electable candidate.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Bernie was wrong in 16. He is right in 2020, the current year. If things were different and he said otherwise then we would be saying he is wrong. Lets focus on the fact that its wrong to have a system in place that ignores the will of the people.
A contested convention isn't ignoring the will of the people. It's acknowledging that a majority did not choose a single candidate.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
They're both social democrats, the difference really comes from their rhetoric, where it's apparent that Bernie has a theory of change, and Warren not so much.

I disagree with this. Having a plan to get from point A to point B doesn't mean someone actually wants plan A.

Bernie has benefitted from the obscurity of his plans to get from point A to point B because the details of how to get there weakens his message of radical change.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In fact in 2016 his campaign was all about caucuses and I'd expect that after Iowa they'll want them all gone completely, as while it benefited him as an outsider in that race it blew up spectacularly to his detriment in this one.

Sanders hasn't been winning elections for >30 years sa an independent without knowing and employing political maneuvering.
I would hope that people who thought that opposition to caucuses/open primaries in 2016 was just because people supported Clinton are rethinking that perspective now.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I think their point is that it seems that liberals are all for progressive casuses until it effects them personally.

Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds, as the saying goes.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A contested convention isn't ignoring the will of the people. It's acknowledging that a majority did not choose a single candidate.
Dont be disingenuous. If the person who got the most votes doesnt win were not talking about democracy. Same with the electoral college. If the dem party wants to destroy itself by ignoring its voters they can try to fuck over the winner with the most votes/delegates and see what happens.

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It may not be a bad idea to let the dem party crash and burn and let the progressives take over. Nancy, chuck and everyone else have to go.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Dont be disingenuous. If the person who got the most votes doesnt win were not talking about democracy. Same with the electoral college. If the dem party wants to destroy itself by ignoring its voters they can try to fuck over the winner with the most votes/delegates and see what happens.
I'm going to say this again. A contested convention is not ignoring the will of the people. It's an acknowledgment that the people did not come to a consensus. Which in this case is a majority. More than 50 percent. That's not undemocratic. And I don't know why you're bringing up the electoral college.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
i'm glad we've all united to defeat shadow bernie for the thing he didn't say that would have been dumb if he did say. now, as for all those candidates who did say it, that's fine,

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
i'm glad we've all united to defeat shadow bernie for the thing he didn't say that would have been dumb if he did say. now, as for all those candidates who did say it, that's fine,
He did argue that superdelegates should vote against the will of the people and choose him over Hillary and he argued that caucuses were good. He did say those things

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately believe that any Dem candidate will easily beat Trump come Election Day, except Bloomberg.
As of most recent national polling Sanders is the only one with a likely path in both swing state and national polling. Most beat him in the head to head national polls, but up until Biden's fall only Sanders and Biden clearly beat Trump in a majority the rust belt swing states needed to win the electoral college.

With Biden's slide the most recent national polls reflect that only Sanders has a lead roughly at the margin of error, everyone else is within it. That likely carries through on the swing states.

They're both social democrats, the difference really comes from their rhetoric, where it's apparent that Bernie has a theory of change, and Warren not so much.
Sanders has a theory of change, Warren has actual incremental policies. Thats the difference. But Sanders has the political charisma to energize a largely untapped youth vote and a larger existing coalition behind him, both of which are essential for a progressive to win.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm going to say this again. A contested convention is not ignoring the will of the people. It's an acknowledgment that the people did not come to a consensus. Which in this case is a majority. More than 50 percent. That's not undemocratic. And I don't know why you're bringing up the electoral college.
Depends, though. Getting to 50% is nearly impossible with a field this large. I'd say that if 1st is at like 45% and 2nd at 30%, that's probably grounds to just push #1 over the edge.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to say this again. A contested convention is ignoring the will of the people. A consensus for what? Its an arbitrary number that means nothing and only exists in the event that Dems have an opportunity to use the SDs to swing the election in a way that goes against what the majority of voters/delegates picked. What youre talking about is not democracy.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Call me old fashioned, but I think ultimately it's going to come down to turnout and whoever gets the most votes.

Nocturne

Oct 25, 2017
the will of the people is definitely when you throw out a plurality of votes at the end of the day in favour of a bunch of opaque backroom dealings based on a shallow understanding of who those voters would actually prefer to go to if they were forced to change candidates

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like an explicit ranked choice system would be an improvement, but that would require all the state Democratic Parties to agree on it and that's never gonna happen.