• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Like, the only thing I can see happening here is this journalist calling Sony for commentary or whatever, and them declining. Which, you know, that's their right. That's not being "blacklisted" though.

Faithless

Oct 27, 2017
bf39a652ac57b60f827d007204dd2398.png
Thank you very much.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
It should be said that both Le Monde and William are as legit as they can be in the French press. It's the 3rd biggest newspaper in France and they have a good reputation. They're not nobodies.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How does he know he was blacklisted?

Seems like this would be a worse PR move from Sony than the original story.
Imagine how much of this goes on at dev studios unreported. There's no way blacklisting a journalist is worse for them than having harassment scandals keep popping up.

Well maybe to Gamers For Integrity In Journalism it's worse, but it shouldn't be.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Cage a secret lover of some higher up or something?

No, Sony is a corporation when we get right down to it. There is a ton of moving parts at a major corporation, but at the end of the day, a corporation will almost always look out for their best interests (and won't always act for moral reasons). Even when companies do the morally right thing, it's usually down to doing it for good PR, or because they had so much backlash it was hurting their brand.

As of now, Sony might be feeling that there isn't enough backlash to justify cutting ties with QD, or taking the hit on losing Detroit. Basically they have currently accessed, that this is less risk. They could be banking on most people not caring about this news (or the news not spreading far). Or it could just be that, their relationship with QD (and the
Importance of Detroit for their company), means much more then a journalist / outlet.

All speculation tho.

Last edited:

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe he means being blackballed , as in sony rejecting interview requests

if not, Sony have hired jericho to their books (sorry i really wanted to post this)

tenor.gif

Soony Xbone Uhh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I know. I'm just questioning what actually happened. Did someone at Sony call him and tell him he was being blacklisted for this article? I can't imagine Sony is that dumb.

I'm honestly curious about this, too.
If you don't receive any review copies and being ignored for a long time, you know you're blacklisted. But this soon after the actual event happend. How do you know your blacklisted and are they open about like "we would rather not work with you anymore" or not.
Those are details that never get mentioned.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind that he is probably "blacklisted" by one French Sony media representative. Of course this isn't acceptable but "arrogant Sony" is not really necessary to be shouting at this point.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not getting review copies of games, not being invited to official events, something like that?
Does he say how he knows he is black listed ? Sony picked up phone and called him to tell him u r black listed ?QD isn't even a Sony studio so it would be weird for Sony to react like that .

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but how does he know that in such a short amount of time? Did sony send him an email literally saying "you are from now on blacklisted"? lol Legit curious.
Yeah, they probably got a formal email telling them that they are no longer business partners or something like that.

I hope this is some over litigious lawyer preemptively, calling shots before knowing the whole story, than the position of the company.

That being said, fuck Quantic Dream, I hope Sony stops funding their shit and get their good employees on board with them.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Sony needs to stop handling situations like this, weathering the storm then moving on isn't good. Coming out and addressing it head on is the better move here, at least make a response about the relationship between you and Quantic.

they did

Nothing other than standard PR tho. Rough translation:

As an independent development studio, Quantic Dream is responsible for its social and salary policy. More generally, we expect our suppliers and partners to comply with the laws and practices in force in their country. We have no other comment.

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/72953-polemique-quantic-dream-sony-reagit-aux-accusations-portees-

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeesh. Not a good look at all for Sony. Does their PR not realize what a stupid move this is this day and age?

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Odd, I have never been told I was being blacklisted before! Maybe Sony's French PR handles things differently, but in my experience companies are a lot more subtle than that.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe a little too soon to say that, but then I remember the Watch Dogs 2 Vagina thing and welp... :/

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
It's likely someone within Sony gave the journalist a heads up. Someone who disagrees with silencing press reporting on poor working conditions and harassment as much as we do.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
People sure are chomping at the bit to get riled up over this shit, aren't they. How does he know he's "blacklisted"? Maybe they just don't want to talk to the person accusing one of their subsidiaries until further investigations have been made, I don't know.

Why don't you have your pitchfork out?

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
People sure are chomping at the bit to get riled up over this shit, aren't they. How does he know he's "blacklisted"? Maybe they just don't want to talk to the person accusing one of their subsidiaries until further investigations have been made, I don't know.
I trust a journalist to know when they're blacklisted more than users on a gaming forum's hypothesis on why he might not be blacklisted

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
We don't really know much details at all, besides the tweet...how is it possible for people to start a hate bandwagon on that alone?

Balmung421

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For those who keep asking about how he knows he has been blacklisted: look to articles about Disney blacklisting LA Times journalists back in Nov. You can quickly tell, for example, by not being able to log in to their press sites.

This is a shitty situation and a shitty reaction to it.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
To be honest, if I was a Games company, I'd blacklist loads of journalists.

Not in this instance, but some of the wallies that feed outrage culture can jog on.