• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In my admittedly limited exposure to blacklistings of this nature, how soon you find out depends entirely on the working relationship you had. If you have been told to expect X review copy and an invite to some media event, you are informed that those are rescinded. If you have some sort of profit sharing agreement in place re: advertising revenue or something of the sort, you are informed that such an agreement will no longer be observed.

If you're not expecting any contact from them in the immediate future, I can't imagine how you would find out about the blacklist unless a source in the company informed you personally.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
How many fun interviews had Bethesda for blacklisting Kotaku?
There's a difference between blacklisting someone for leaking all your products and internal emails and blacklisting someone for reporting on harassment and racism.

It's honestly pretty concerning that you don't think there is.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Big companies are the worst, not surprising.

Even if they didn't they are complicit in whatever is happening at the studio since it's their studio and their responsibility.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny coincidence : William Audureau is an ex-Gamekult writer, that same site that was once blacklisted by Sony for not giving Heavy Rain a big enough review score. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
We need more information, I can't believe Sony would be stupid enough to do this.

But if they did, this is not good, it effectively means they care more about getting one over on the messenger than actually doing something about the problems with one of their partners.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People sure are chomping at the bit to get riled up over this shit, aren't they. How does he know he's "blacklisted"? Maybe they just don't want to talk to the person accusing one of their subsidiaries until further investigations have been made, I don't know.
Do you really think someone working for one of the most reliable and reputable newspapers out there doesn't fucking know if he's blacklisted or not?

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
Part of me wants to hope it's because the story isn't real and Sony is going to pursue legal action.

Most of me knows that's definitely not the case.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely nothing of course.

Sony is 0 for 2 in the batters box when it comes to addressing sexual harassment allegations.

Again the ND. Situation was vastly different. We had way more information about what happened and why quite frankly nothing happened. I do believe the accuser in that case but there's not much you can do when there is no record and both parties don't even work at the company anymore.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This behavior by Sony is disgusting

On a side not the mixing of french and english in this tweet annoys me. Especially from a journalist working at "Le Monde".

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the hill Sony really wants to fight on?(not die because lol) Blacklisting someone for getting the truth out about the disgusting workplace and actions of Cage?

Syphon

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but, I need to see proof to believe him. A lot of people now a days try to stir up trouble to get more exposure.
I know sony has done some shady stuff before but, I need proof.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Why would Sony even do or say anything about it? Seems like it would be in their best interest to say that QD is an independent contractor and leave them to take all the blame.

seiki

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He may have gotten blacklisted because they are looking into it and don't want him to contribute anymore to this matter. They must be investigating it now.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not super comfortable damning anyone based off a 9 word tweet, but, obvs not a good look if true.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Does he say how he knows he is black listed ? Sony picked up phone and called him to tell him u r black listed ?QD isn't even a Sony studio so it would be weird for Sony to react like that .

Yea that's the weird part .how does he know he is black listed this soon?

Big companies have PR offices. Press communicates with said offices/representatives. You might simply get an e-mail confirming the end of the relationship.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
So Sony is putting pressure on journalist so they will shut the fuck up about shitty conditions on the workplace?

OK

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For those asking how he would know he was blacklisted. I ran a gaming news website back in the day (Glimpse Dog) and generally you'd receive emails/press releases/invites/review requests etc.. from the PR companies (Edelman etc..) that the gaming companies contract. If you stop receiving those emails you've either been blacklisted or no longer meet the requirements to be qualified as a press partner. Given the timing...it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would Sony even do or say anything about it? Seems like it would be in their best interest to say that QD is an independent contractor and leave them to take all the blame.

They did say that, it is not in the OP. (which it should be)

Copy / Pasting from the other thread, SONY France gave a statement to French website Gameblog:

As an independent development studio, Quantic Dream is responsible for their social and wage policies. More generally, we expect our suppliers and partners to comply with the laws and practices in force in their country. We have no other comment.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but, I need to see proof to believe him. A lot of people now a days try to stir up trouble to get more exposure.

Do you sincerely think that a pro journalist from one of France's biggest newspaper needs any exposure, and would do that with shitty controverse on twitter ?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

This is my thought as well. How Quantic Dream conducts its own business as a third party contractor is literally Quantic Dream's problem, not Sony's. If anything, Sony should be cutting ties with them over this.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
This is getting worse... If Sony is going to protect QD after all this, then we are done here.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
There's a difference between blacklisting someone for leaking all your products and internal emails and blacklisting someone for reporting on harassment and racism.

It's honestly pretty concerning that you don't think there is.

I know that there is a difference.

But if other outlets didn't care that another one was/is blacklisted for several years now whatever the reason, why would they care now?

meppi64

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really have been going the wrong way for well over a year now.
Several things have been bothering me for that long at least and slowly but surely it's getting worse.
Hopefully the ones at the top realise this and are willing to step in before they go back to their old "fuck everyone, we're Sony!" stance.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, a journalist for one of the most reputable newspapers there is in the world totally needs exposure.
Jesus christ people research your fucking shit before showing ridiculous ignorance.

ArmadilloGame

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This is sadly standard business practice for when a publisher thinks they can brush something under the rug. And Sony would normally be right. Maybe their being based in Japan has caused them to be more in the dark about the size and scope of #metoo movement's explosive growth so they misjudged the risk of retribution this time?

Any way you slice it though, this is the ugly underside of the industry and it really sucks to see (though it's better than nothing changing, clearly)

Oct 25, 2017
This is my thought as well. How Quantic Dream conducts its own business as a third party contractor is literally Quantic Dream's problem, not Sony's. If anything, Sony should be cutting ties with them over this.

Can they really cut ties with them, and still promote or release Detroit?

The press would crucify them if they "cut ties" but oh btw we will still make profit off a product made by this company we cut ties with.

I agree they should cut ties tho. But IMO it would require them comitting to taking a major hit on Detroit, and losing one of their biggest selling points for their system.