• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
Hey - I feel the same way. I went in knowing Listening was my strong point but walked away feeling like I did pretty poorly.

Wow I'm also in the exact same boat. Listening is also one of my strong points when I preparing the exam, and doing the tests from previous years. On the other hand I thought the goi-grammar-reading part of the exam wasn't that difficult, and thought the exam was in the bag during the break in between. I didn't expect the listening to be this difficult. No idea how I did to be honest on that part.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Just saw the movie "Shoplifters" yesterday.Excellent film and very heart-warming, I totally recommend it to everyone.
It already won the Palme d'Or in Cannes and it's nominated for a Golden Globe, it probably will at the Oscars too for best foreign film.
The japanese language they used was also pretty straightforward, really easy to follow and casual for the most part.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I also encourage you to play the game entirely in Japanese, even if your reading ability is a bit lacking. You don't get good and THEN start reading: you start reading TO get good :).

too fuckin right mate

ugh so much time left to be bad at japanese before i can even be vaguely okay at japanese... blargh

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the movie "Shoplifters" yesterday.Excellent film and very heart-warming, I totally recommend it to everyone.
It already won the Palme d'Or in Cannes and it's nominated for a Golden Globe, it probably will at the Oscars too for best foreign film.
The japanese language they used was also pretty straightforward, really easy to follow and casual for the most part.

Sounds good. I'll try and check it out :)

johnsavage

Oct 27, 2017
I also encourage you to play the game entirely in Japanese, even if your reading ability is a bit lacking. You don't get good and THEN start reading: you start reading TO get good :).

I'm so glad I ran into your post. I suddenly had a lot of motivation and have been trying to expose myself to as much Japanese as possible and you gave me the idea so set all my devices/apps to japanese. So now i'm playing smash in Japanese and I set my phone, macbook, google account, and Switch to Japanese. I'm definitely more engaged with it now, so thank you!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I've been slacking on studying for a while - I'm trying in vain to adjust my schedule - but I've been still been engaging in Japanese by playing Gihren's Greed. I could work myself through some of the menu options, and went through the others with a dictionary, so now I can play it pretty comfortably. The special events tend to have a bunch of proper nouns ("White Base has engaged Ramba Ral" or whatnot) so I only really need to eyeball those to get an idea of what's going on. I think putting myself in a clear context and kanji-heavy environment on a daily basis is dramatically increasing my reading speed.

Dunno if anyone else does this, but I deliberately keep a few things around that I keep revisiting to use a measuring stick. This was the hardest one, so I probably need to look for more challenging material now.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Has anyone seen this before?

私も頑張らなだ!!

It looks like 'I also have to do my best' . Is it a casual version of 頑張らなければならない?

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone seen this before?

私も頑張らなだ!!

It looks like 'I also have to do my best' . Is it a casual version of 頑張らなければならない?

It's probably a different form of the casual 私も頑張らなきゃ!! Personally never seen it before though
Japanese people do this a lot in casual speech.They cut things at the end.
e.g. "何を言ってんだ" which you may hear a lot in anime :P.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably a different form of the casual 私も頑張らなきゃ!! Personally never seen it before though

My immediate instinct is to break it down as
私 も 頑張らな だ
But that would be weird too. Where did you see it?

Unrelated, but I was just wondering. Is there anything I can do specifically to practice listening? I threw some shit on my phone a billion years ago but I don't know how well that's working out for me, and I don't really stick to it anyway.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
私 も 頑張らな だ

Unrelated, but I was just wondering. Is there anything I can do specifically to practice listening? I threw some shit on my phone a billion years ago but I don't know how well that's working out for me, and I don't really stick to it anyway.
I haven't.You probably wanted to quote miss RpgN above me :P.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Start with anything - anime, drama, movie, game, podcast - you already know and loveso you already have a sense of the plot and dialogue and you're not as easily bored by it.

Once you've rewatched it in its entirety as active listening and looked up words here and there that stick out to you ( bonus points if you make audio sentence cards for Anki out of those), extract the audio with a program like Subs2SRS, put it on your phone/mp3 player, and listen to it on repeat as (semi-)passive listening for like a week or two whenever you can. So: at home, in the car, on the train, at school/work if you're allowed to have headphones in... Anywhere and everywhere, most of the time if not all the time if you can help it.

Rinse and repeat with other shows.

You can also do things like what I suggested on the previous page and, say, if you're playing Smash, go watch youtube videos about it in Japanese instead of English. You won't understand everything, but you'll probably get it overall.

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost 💯 what elen1 said
The も gives it away. Also probably the context. Sounds weeby 🙇‍♂️

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Look, just because I quoted the wrong person, doesn't mean I don't want to talk to you. How are your studies going, Eien1no1Yami ?
Heh, well good I guess.I took N3 2 weeks ago, don't think I passed though because of listeningbut it's to be expected.N3 imo needs a lot more practice than before, not because it's more the trst itself is more difficult but because the material you need to cover has been incrementally increased compared to N4 :P.
The good game thing is that by studying N3 it really is the first first where I'm starting to taste the fruits of my labor, where I can understand things people post on twitter on a satisfying level or browse a website and for the most part know what I'm doing without copy-pasting words to google translate :P.
It really feels like that the study of actual Japanese have just been started, this is the real deal

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Colour me surprised at the replies who haven't seen this before either. Luckily it helps when it's clear with context but it's not always this easy to predict :/

Never seen it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something high school girls came up with.

It was said by a 24 year old idol/artist from 岐阜県. She was giving an analysis about her kouhai from the same agency.

私 も 頑張らな だ

I saw it on Twitter. It can be handy for that kind of weird stuff.

It's almost 💯 what elen1 said
The も gives it away. Also probably the context. Sounds weeby 🙇‍♂️

In what way does it sound weeby?

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
It just gives me an "I'll do my best! ugu~ !" vibe! But I mean the good, cute kind of weeby. I'm also a weeb

RpgN link tweet pls! I'm curious now.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If I was 岐阜県から二十四歳のアイドル talking about my 後輩 then that seems like a good time to talk ウィーブの高校生のように。

gachapin

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
「頑張らな」単体で見たり聞いたりしたことはない?「私も~だ」+「頑張らな」= 私も 頑張らな だ
その他よく使われる組み合わせは「頑張らな いかんぞ」とか「頑張らな あかん」とか

OP
OP
Resilient

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017

🥰
ツイッターで共通の組み合わせ。
「めんどいのこと」・頑張らなだけど。

Last edited:

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The good game thing is that by studying N3 it really is the first first where I'm starting to taste the fruits of my labor, where I can understand things people post on twitter on a satisfying level or browse a website and for the most part know what I'm doing without copy-pasting words to google translate :P.
It really feels like that the study of actual Japanese have just been started, this is the real deal

I'm not preparing for the tests but I have been putting all my efforts to get better for a month or two (I put German and Dutch on hold and am focusing my efforts on Japanese even more than ever). What you're describing is how I'm feeling lately. Grammar was such an issue. There was too much that I didn't know that it felt like there was no end to it. Now I can feel comfortable reading texts more often. There are still combinations I'm not familiar with but they are less frequent and I have become less impatient about not knowing them yet. I have more of an idea what they might mean or where they might come from.

When it comes to vocabulary, something unique is happening. I know far more and don't need to look up words to get a text. What's happening though is that I'm looking up words more often because I can handle more. Now I can focus on the less important words or there's just this one word in a text that I'm inclined to look up because why not? Does that makes sense?

My progress has been accelerating quickly for a while. There have been many times I felt 'actual Japanese have just been started, this is the real deal' and then it turns out there is more. I don't know when it's going to end and when there's going to be a time to study less Japanese. But I am also happy that my efforts are clearly paying off :)

It just gives me an "I'll do my best! ugu~ !" vibe! But I mean the good, cute kind of weeby. I'm also a weeb

RpgN link tweet pls! I'm curious now.

https://twitter.com/airimania/status/1073231078121299968?s=21

She also left this:

暑苦しさNo. 1のハロオタはここです

You might be on to something!

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. I can't say I remember seeing something like this before. That's another possibility to keep in mind from now on.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
In my case, watching variety and listening to radio shows did wonders.
Start with anything - anime, drama, movie, game, podcast - you already know and loveso you already have a sense of the plot and dialogue and you're not as easily bored by it.

Once you've rewatched it in its entirety as active listening and looked up words here and there that stick out to you ( bonus points if you make audio sentence cards for Anki out of those), extract the audio with a program like Subs2SRS, put it on your phone/mp3 player, and listen to it on repeat as (semi-)passive listening for like a week or two whenever you can. So: at home, in the car, on the train, at school/work if you're allowed to have headphones in... Anywhere and everywhere, most of the time if not all the time if you can help it.

Rinse and repeat with other shows.

You can also do things like what I suggested on the previous page and, say, if you're playing Smash, go watch youtube videos about it in Japanese instead of English. You won't understand everything, but you'll probably get it overall.

I guess I can combine these two suggestions. I don't think I know a whole lot of variety or radio shows though.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Is there an easy or practical way to reset a group of Anki cards? I haven't been reviewing properly on Anki recently, and I'd like to fix it, if somehow possible.
By practical I mean not simply taking every card and making it as "new", starting from zero; something in between that and the current situation would be good.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i would probably go into the card browser, sort by date, find a bunch of cards that match your criteria and reset those cards to zero, or something along those lines.

You're probably better off just making new cards and including more context for them though.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017

Heh, I found randomly on youtube this video explaining the story of Kingdom Hearts and
I was surprised by how clearly this guy speaks.Really simple use of japanese and pretty short sentences, that was some good practice xD
Even if you undestand what this guy is saying though I can;t guarantee you that you'll understand the Kingdom Hearts story :P

Last edited:

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
So I've been noticed something lately which might not be very clear with this example:
ごめん、待たせてしまって

I've been seeing sentences that end with the てform. What's the point of ending with the てform when it's not used for other grammar like てある、ておる etc?
This example has causative, てしまう and the てform again.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
So I've been noticed something lately which might not be very clear with this example:
ごめん、待たせてしまって

I've been seeing sentences that end with the てform. What's the point of ending with the てform when it's not used for other grammar like てある、ておる etc?
This example has causative, てしまう and the てform again.
In this case it's more because the "correct" way would be putting ごめん after the て, but when you talk it's very common to swap their position.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
In this case it's more because the "correct" way would be putting ごめん after the て, but when you talk it's very common to swap their position.

0_0 *mind blown*

So this is also done...I wish I saved the other examples I've seen with the てform at the end. I'm not sure if they're used in the same way. Thank you for the swift reply Kurita :3

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
0_0 *mind blown*

So this is also done...I wish I saved the other examples I've seen with the てform at the end. I'm not sure if they're used in the same way. Thank you for the swift reply Kurita :3

As you probably already learned the -te form can be used for an incomplete sentence, like a spoken comma if you will. It is also sometimes used in spoken situations where the rest of the sentence would have been said prior, as in the above example, or when it is obvious so it is omitted.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As you probably already learned the -te form can be used for an incomplete sentence, like a spoken comma if you will. It is also sometimes used in spoken situations where the rest of the sentence would have been said prior, as in the above example, or when it is obvious so it is omitted.

With that in mind, I got curious about the examples I've found before. They're all from one blog post:

今日は 大好きなメイクさんが
メイク担当してくれて

大好きな仲良しの上々軍団さんが司会してくれて

大好きなダンサー4人の
左からきえちゃん、あみちゃん、ほのかちゃん、もかちゃんが 一緒に踊ってくれて

今年本当に嬉しい嬉しい嬉しいお仕事を
やらせて頂いた エステーの鹿毛さん・花子さんから
お花とプレゼントも頂けて

DVD楽しみにしておいて 笑笑

みんなに答えてもらったDVDロケも
来月撮ると思うけん楽しみにしておいてね

https://ameblo.jp/tanakareina-blog/entry-12422505497.html

So I'm guessing all those examples are omitting something but what could that be? くれていました? If it makes any difference, it's the same person from 福岡県.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
With that in mind, I got curious about the examples I've found before. They're all from one blog post:

今日は 大好きなメイクさんが
メイク担当してくれて

大好きな仲良しの上々軍団さんが司会してくれて

大好きなダンサー4人の

今年本当に嬉しい嬉しい嬉しいお仕事を
やらせて頂いた エステーの鹿毛さん・花子さんから
お花とプレゼントも頂けて

DVD楽しみにしておいて 笑笑

みんなに答えてもらったDVDロケも
来月撮ると思うけん楽しみにしておいてね

So I'm guessing all those examples are omitting something but what could that be? くれていました? If it makes any difference, it's the same person from 福岡県.
The first three aren't omitting anything, it's because she's basically doing a very long sentence enumerating all the reasons why it's an 嬉しいお仕事.

頂けて could just be replaced by 頂けた and end the sentence tbh

The last two with おいて should have ください.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017

今日は 大好きなメイクさんが
メイク担当してくれて

大好きな仲良しの上々軍団さんが司会してくれて

大好きなダンサー4人の

今年本当に嬉しい嬉しい嬉しいお仕事を
やらせて頂いた エステーの鹿毛さん・花子さんから
お花とプレゼントも頂けて

DVD楽しみにしておいて 笑笑

みんなに答えてもらったDVDロケも
来月撮ると思うけん楽しみにしておいてね

These are good examples of -te form as written commas meaning "and". In this case the first sentence "今日は 大好きなメイクさんがメイク担当してくれて" means "Today my favorite makeup artist did my make-up and...", she goes on further listen other stuff that happened. The -te form in this instance can just be read to mean "and", the things she says are not finished and go further in the next part of the sentence.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The first three aren't omitting anything, it's because she's basically doing a very long sentence enumerating all the reasons why it's an 嬉しいお仕事.

頂けて could just be replaced by 頂けた and end the sentence tbh

The last two with おいて should have ください.

So she was listing 'and' with 頂けて which can be seen as excessive and could have ended with 頂けた. Got it.

These are good examples of -te form as written commas meaning "and". In this case the first sentence "今日は 大好きなメイクさんがメイク担当してくれて" means "Today my favorite makeup artist did my make-up and...", she goes on further listen other stuff that happened. The -te form in this instance can just be read to mean "and", the things she says are not finished and go further in the next part of the sentence.

So you guys are pointing something out that made me realise the usage of て as 'and' for the first time.

I always thought that it was used like how we use 'and' within one big sentence: I did my make up and went to my friend. The end! Not used like this with different paragraphs that go on and on. Based on the grammar sources that I've read (like Tae Kim), they don't make this clear. This is a new revelation that I will need to get used to. It will help out greatly in the long run.

Last edited:

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh no, I meant that the list of things ends with the やらせて頂いた.

I think I'm getting a bit confused now...so here's that part again:

今年本当に嬉しい嬉しい嬉しいお仕事を
やらせて頂いた エステーの鹿毛さん・花子さんから
お花とプレゼントも頂けて
本当に本当に嬉しい1日でした

So you're saying the listing has ended with やらせて頂いた . That's good to know. I thought you were talking about 頂けて which is what I originally asked about. Then what does 頂けて serve as here?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Kilrogg , there's a new Aconcagua video from Slowbeef. Unfortunately I wasn't around when he was streaming this one, haven't seen it yet either.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I think I'm getting a bit confused now...so here's that part again:

今年本当に嬉しい嬉しい嬉しいお仕事を
やらせて頂いた エステーの鹿毛さん・花子さんから
お花とプレゼントも頂けて
本当に本当に嬉しい1日でした

So you're saying the listing has ended with やらせて頂いた . That's good to know. I thought you were talking about 頂けて which is what I originally asked about. Then what does 頂けて serve as here?
In this case it's just a way to continue the sentence.
"I received flowers and presents from my estheticians 鹿毛さん and 花子さん, it was such a wonderful day"

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I used to use this EPWing (the format used by most electronic Japanese dictionaries) dictionary manager software called Qolibri, which worked but was very barbones and looked pretty old (last updated in 2008).

I just found out about this other software called GoldenDict and hot damn it's so much better. On top of being faster and more modern looking, it can directly fetch and display Wikipedia results alongside definitions found in dictionary files:

But the most useful feature is that it can display the definitions in a popup window in any application. Just select a word and hit ctrl+C+C (you can also change the shortcut) and you get the definition. It saves me a ton of time when I'm making my sentence cards:

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Are you using something to rip the Japanese subs?

Yeah I'm using mpv to play video files with a custom script to save the subtitles to a text file, export the audio to a MP3, and take a screenshot.

I can share the script if people are interested, but it's a bit janky in that it only works for subtitles in .ass format at the moment (support for .srt files is actually implemented in the code but it's not working at the moment – but it's easy to convert .srt to .ass using something like Aegisub or Subtitle Edit in the meanwhile).

Once it's set up it's easy to use though. I use A and D to skip to the previous/next line of subtitles while watching the video, and when there's one I want to save I just press Q. If I want to save more than one line I hit ctrl+Q to set the beginning point and then alt+Q for the end point, and then hit Q.

Otherwise if you're watching stuff on Netflix you can download the subs separately using that Kodi plugin (or get them directly on kitsunekko), and then search through the file. But that's more cumbersome.

Last edited:

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So why all the newspapers in Japan write the word 新聞 in romaji as shimbun instead of shinbun?
It's really weird, like when I first I saw it I thought it was a typo or something but it's not, it's official O_O.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
So why all the newspapers in Japan write the word 新聞 in romaji as shimbun instead of shinbun?
It's really weird, like when I first I saw it I thought it was a typo or something but it's not, it's official O_O.
Because when you pronounce the word it's closer to "shim-bun", not "shin-bun" (bear in mind that this is with Hepburn romanization standards, some other systems don't do the difference between N and M when you write in romaji)

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Because when you pronounce it in Japanese it's "shim-bun", not "shin-bun"
Yes but the on yomi for the 新 character is shin and there are official romaji characters of each kana syllable.

EDIT: Ok I found this
ん can be Romanized as 'n' or 'm' due to it having different pronunciations depending on what sounds are around it.
From Wiktionary:
IPA: [ɴ] The actual realization of this phoneme depends on its phonetic context, as follows:​
IPA: [n] before dental and alveolar consonants t, d, ch, j, n, r, s, ts, z​
IPA: [m] before m, p, b​
IPA: [ŋ] before k, g​
IPA: [ɴ] at the end of utterances, before approximants w and y, and before vowels, often causing nasalization of the preceding vowel​
I didn't know that what the.....

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
it's kind of the way the Japanese 'r' sound isn't quiiiite an R or an L sound but since it's closer to the R sound that's what they transliterate it as mostly

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Funny enough. I remember seeing a thread on Era where a native Japanese speaker was insisting that the Japanese R was actually closer to an L, and got a whole bunch of replies from non-natives telling them, nope, it's an R. I think it's important in cases like this to actively keep yourself yourself aware of what is the language proper, what is transliteration convention, what is translation, and so on.

The English alphabet is meant for writing English. Well, I suppose it's actually meant for writing Latin, but for anglophones like myself we'd be interpreting through the lens of the English language. Maybe it's because English is a lingua franca or because it's so heavy on loanwords, but I think we tend to view it as having all the sounds that exist, which is why when we read German words with umlauts we'd tend to just pretend they aren't there. I was in a class years ago with a guy who genuinely didn't understand why you couldn't just write Chinese in normal English and call it a day.

(Completely tangential but related: the tendency to think that a word looks French and therefore should be pronounced like a French loanword.)

Even if L and R or N and M are both wrong, we feel the need some consistency in a transliteration, so we pick one that we stick to. Then we start to think of it as the "proper" spelling, because English words aren't pronounced as they're spelled anymore and if we don't spell things consistently it all descends into chaos, but it's just the letters that we somewhat arbitrarily decided to stick with.

Similar subject. Lately, I've got the sense that I too strongly map out kana to romaji, and forget the place of things in the chart. So I have no problem recognizing ちゃ and じょ when I read them, but I occasionally forgot that ち is on the T row because it's "chi", or I think that SHITSU (しつ) looks like a longer word than INU (いぬ). I've been typing stuff out recently, and in order to compensate for this problem, I'm forcing myself to write ち as "ti", じゃ as "zya", ん always as "nn" and things like that.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
In terms of how you actually pronounce it, the standard Japanese R (the Spanish-like rolled R and the English-like L sounds are also native pronunciations, it's just that they make you sound like a Yakuza or someone effeminate respectively lol) is indeed much closer from an English L than an English R. Very similar tongue placement and everything.

But yeah, I think when you learn your first foreign language you need to rid yourself of preconceptions of how letters should be pronounced. Once you get through that mental block I think it's gone for good and it'll make learning other languages simpler.

I also think that if you concentrate on listening rather than reading when you first start you'll naturally pick up a lot of those features. It's like when you come across an English word you've never come across before - if you do so while reading, you might not know how to pronounce it, because English vowel sounds are notoriously unpredictable. However, if you first hear it then you'll know how it's pronounced right away.

But yeah Tammy I've been doing the same thing when typing for about a year, it really does help. You stop thinking about the romaji and just think about the kana.

Otherwise, I got a new phone yesterday for Christmas and I decided to set it to Japanese. It's working fine so far, although Google Assistant is giving me some distances in feet which makes absolutely no sense since the phone is set to Japanese and I live in a metric country. It's quite random as well, asking for Shinzou Abe's height gives an answer in metres, but asking for Abe Shinzou's height gives an answer in feet 🤔. I rummaged through all the options but couldn't find anything, so I guess I'll have to live with it.

But anyway, I decided to learn how to use the proper Japanese mobilephone flick keyboard. It's a bit frustrating to use right now but I'm sure if I stick with it it'll become easier. Since I'm on holidays with nothing to do for another two weeks I might spend like 15 minutes a day copying some random Japanese text to get used to it.