• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I always hated Tifa's design in VII. I would prefer for them to use the Advent Children/Kingdom Hearts 2 design. I always hated that tiny shirt and miniskirt.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
There were people who said she was "too small" here.

This is why the back-and-forth boobery continues to be frustrating.

This keeps getting used as an example, but keep in mind Cloud has Mako juice in his veins. It's literally supernatural strength.

The Last Order anime had a great example of this: when Zack drops the Buster Sword, half a dozen Shinra mooks all work together and they STILL couldn't lift it.

Tifa doesn't have any supernatural strength right? Just a normie? It's been a while.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I always hated Tifa's design in VII. I would prefer for them to use the Advent Children/Kingdom Hearts 2 design. I always hated that tiny shirt and miniskirt.

Her design/clothing are iconic at this point, I guarantee they're not gonna mess with it too much for fear of fan outcry.

Her melons will surely be gigantic too.

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tifa doesn't have any supernatural strength right? Just a normie? It's been a while.
Her limit breaks suggest some pretty good power, but I dont think its past the limit of what other people can do, just an exaggeration for game sake. She is just a good fighter with a decent amount of strength, not super powered or anything to my knowledge

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK

fae.gif

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He had Nerd Rage.

Bastard shouldn't have fucked with his Tifa....oh and he burned his mom alive too. ;)

Lol. Yeah he had the adrenaline, but wasn't gonna give him more strength of Hercules.

Though tbf Cloud was always special. He was a naturally gifted swordsman and solo'd a Behemoth a bunch of other mooks and Turks had trouble with in Before Crisis

A normie in the context of the rules of FF7. Even then, through materia boosts, and etc. Plus the opponent she fights. She's not just some normie exactly. We won't know exactly how strong she really is until the remake comes out as in FF7 the limitations made everyone seem like they could lift a city.

Cloud was able to do some stupid shit as a non-enhanced fighter. So we will just have to see what they decide here for her.

SOLDIER's are physically enhanced with JENOVA cells. And even then, aside from Sephiroth who was made special, they have their faults too and die all the time. Hell you fight and kill a number of SOLDIERs, from all classes, in FF7. Its not like Tifa can't beat them too. SOLDIERs are boost humans, but only a few a truly "special"

Cloud rejected JENOVA cells, but later his body accepted Sephiroth cells and successfully got enhanced.

Time will tell

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm a FF fan, but we have to accept final fantasy is anime, they kill megazords created by the planet that can destroy cities with a beam, they are not average humans

May 26, 2018
i'm a FF fan, but we have to accept final fantasy is anime, they kill megazords created by the planet that can destroy cities with a beam, they are not average humans

"Haha! I am invincible! Not even a thousand of your attacks can harm me!"

*on attack one thousand, Tifa lands a normal punch*

"OH NO, MY SUDDEN WEAKNESSES!" *dies*

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

This is one of those weird lore things that's never been clarified: all that's ever been said is that she was scouted by Zangan at a young age because he saw a natural talent with her (and I really hope this doesn't get expanded to reveal that he was a Master Roshi type...).

I always thought it was strange we never saw any of his other students. If he was able to unlock that kind of freakish strength from someone without using Mako or Jenova cells, he must have gotten noticed by Shin-Ra or something. This is one of those things I hope gets expanded on in the Remake.

After watching HunterXHunter, my theory is that Tifa is using chakra, i.e. her inner energy to allow her to perform the crazy powerful feats that she does. That said, she still should have some muscle tone for someone who regularly exercises, so that's still a hope.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those weird lore things that's never been clarified: all that's ever been said is that she was scouted by Zangan at a young age because he saw a natural talent with her (and I really hope this doesn't get expanded to reveal that he was a Master Roshi type...).

I always thought it was strange we never saw any of his other students. If he was able to unlock that kind of freakish strength from someone without using Mako or Jenova cells, he must have gotten noticed by Shin-Ra or something. This is one of those things I hope gets expanded on in the Remake.

After watching HunterXHunter, my theory is that Tifa is using chakra, i.e. her inner energy to allow her to perform the crazy powerful feats that she does. That said, she still should have some muscle tone for someone who regularly exercises, so that's still a hope.

I don't think it needs any more explanation than why Cid or Yuffie can do superhuman stuff

May 26, 2018

You know that idea of mothers becoming super strong when their kids are trapped under cars, and lifting the cars off them? And humans are limited because if we were like that all the time, our limbs would rip apart?

Same thing, but if you're living in FF7 land, that includes having an innate magic/lifestream-power inside you.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
see now i'm hoping for some drastic changes for the inevitable and entertaining meltdowns

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it needs any more explanation than why Cid or Yuffie can do superhuman stuff

Neither of them really do anything physically insane, minus Cid having the trademark Dragoon jump. Yuffie is all about speedy ninja techniques, so her biggest accomplishment is being able to jump really high and dash around quickly.

She is absolutely not on the same league as Tifa physically, and if Dissidia OO is to be believed she's also terrified of taking Tifa on in a direct fight.

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol. Yeah he had the adrenaline, but wasn't gonna give him more strength of Hercules.

Though tbf Cloud was always special. He was a naturally gifted swordsman and solo'd a Behemoth a bunch of other mooks and Turks had trouble with in Before Crisis

A normie in the context of the rules of FF7. Even then, through materia boosts, and etc. Plus the opponent she fights. She's not just some normie exactly. We won't know exactly how strong she really is until the remake comes out as in FF7 the limitations made everyone seem like they could lift a city.

Cloud was able to do some stupid shit as a non-enhanced fighter. So we will just have to see what they decide here for her.

SOLDIER's are physically enhanced with JENOVA cells. And even then, aside from Sephiroth who was made special, they have their faults too and die all the time. Hell you fight and kill a number of SOLDIERs, from all classes, in FF7. Its not like Tifa can't beat them too. SOLDIERs are boost humans, but only a few a truly "special"

Cloud rejected JENOVA cells, but later his body accepted Sephiroth cells and successfully got enhanced.

Time will tell
normal soldiers only have mako, the ones with dark robes that have numbers received jenova cells but they have no free will they are sephiroth puppets, while zack and cloud (kinda of) still have their free will.

so cloud and zack are real special cases of bio-engineered soldiers

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
normal soldiers only have mako, the ones with dark robes that have numbers received jenova cells but they have no free will they are sephiroth puppets, while zack and cloud (kinda of) still have their free will.

so cloud and zack are real special cases of bio-engineered soldiers

Cloud specifically says you can only join SOLDIER is your body accepts the JENOVA cells.

"You see, someone in SOLDIER isn't simply exposed to Mako energy. Their bodies are actually injected with Jenova cells...... For better or for worse, only the strong can enter SOLDIER. "

The Mako is just what ShinRa tells them that they are injecting. Cloud couldn't join SOLDIER because his body rejected the cells. This is a plot point that was brought up and expanded on in Crisis Core

Zack's body also rejected Sephiroth's cells. Because he already had JENOVA cells

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Indeed. Correct if I'm wrong but I believe this is one of the very few instances where the game acknowledges Tifa's atributes.

There have been some cheeky references in other games, like the aforementioned Dissidia, as well as a nickname of "Perfect Hourglass" in Theatrhythm (there's also the especially creepy "Grew Up Real Fine" nickname for Rydia).

The recently released FFXIV minion describes her as "the gravity-defying martial artist", and I can only hope that's referencing her jumping....

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cloud specifically says you can only join SOLDIER is your body accepts the JENOVA cells. The Mako is just what ShinRa tells them that they are injecting. Cloud couldn't join SOLDIER because his body rejected the cells. This is a plot point that was brought up and expanded on in Crisis Core

Zack's body also rejected Sephiroth's cells. Because he already had JENOVA cells

I thought you had to pass a physical regimen first and THEN you get injected with Mako once you're approved as a candidate.

That's how I always interpreted it: Cloud was so weak he could barely muster as a regular grunt.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I have a fundemental disagreement with the big boobs=bad design mentality, I think its pretty dumb honestly.
Nobody (outside of a few madmen) want the absurd balloon boobs of the FMV but the original Nomura designs are still good to this day.
Is it a bit impractical, yes, but so its a good 50% of everything in FFVII. Just look at Clouds sword, Sephiroth's sword or even Cait Sith. I also don't think some impractical sillyness is a bad thing either. Its part of the charm.

But like I said before, there is no reason every character shouldn't have a least one alt costume.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought you had to pass a physical regimen first and THEN you get injected with Mako once you're approved as a candidate.

That's how I always interpreted it: Cloud was so weak he could barely muster as a regular grunt.

"You see, someone in SOLDIER isn't simply exposed to Mako energy. Their bodies are actually injected with Jenova cells...... For better or for worse, only the strong can enter SOLDIER. "

TCnGLDw.jpg

Cloud wasn't weak at all. He was actually far above the level of any normal grunt. Zack even expresses this in Crisis Core. Cloud simply rejected the JENOVA cells and they denied him. He couldn't pass any SOLDIER tests because he didn't get turned into a superhuman

If you only look in the context of FF7 itself. Cloud claims he was weak. But in every release after that, it seemed that he just had no confidence in his natural abilities and somehow stepped up in specific occasions. Like the Behemoth, or other times his life was in danger. Or against Sephiroth. Even though he was no SOLDIER, it turned out he wasn't just any normal grunt

Last edited:
May 26, 2018
I have a fundemental disagreement with the big boobs=bad design mentality, I think its pretty dumb honestly.
Nobody (outside of a few madmen) want the absurd balloon boobs of the FMV but the original Nomura designs are still good to this day.
Is it a bit impractical, yes, but so its a good 50% of everything in FFVII. Just look at Clouds sword, Sephiroth's sword or even Cait Sith. I also don't think some impractical sillyness is a bad thing either. Its part of the charm.

And it's totally normal to have big boobs. The challenge is treating Tifa with dignity when the camera is on her and when she's flipping around.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just admit these dudes are overpowered anime characters who can bodyslam tanks

Nothing about these dudes whether by way of magic or strength, that makes them conform to even the rules of their own world in normal people terms. Tifa is a martial artist and so is superhuman. Cloud being apart of the solider program turned him into a mere grunt with a gun to a overpowered badass in the same manner.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

But like I said before, there is no reason every character shouldn't have a least one alt costume.

I'm a firm believer that a good design should match the aesthetics and tone of the media in question. That's why I don't take issue with Dead or Alive or Senran Kagura. It's a world of titty monsters, and that's how they like it.

Tifa can be sexy and have an ample bosom in the FFVII Remake, as long as she still meshes with the other designs. If they go too far in one direction, it'll look like putting Pyrra in Final Fantasy XV, as seen in PC mods.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Cloud specifically says you can only join SOLDIER is your body accepts the JENOVA cells.

The Mako is just what ShinRa tells them that they are injecting. Cloud couldn't join SOLDIER because his body rejected the cells. This is a plot point that was brought up and expanded on in Crisis Core

Scrap that, thinking of something else from Crisis Core

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a firm believer that a good design should match the aesthetics and tone of the media in question. That's why I don't take issue with Dead or Alive or Senran Kagura. It's a world of titty monsters, and that's how they like it.

Tifa can be sexy and have an ample bosom in the FFVII Remake, as long as she still meshes with the other designs. If they go too far in one direction, it'll look like putting Pyrra in Final Fantasy XV, as seen in PC mods.
I have no doubt the new design will be good.
Cloud, Aerith and Barrett look great. There is no reason Tifa won't as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

no, zack survived because he already had mako in his body and was strong, while cloud was weaker and had to face the effects of jenova cells and mako.
Only the tests subjects of Hojo received the jenova cells, if cloud says that in game its a miss translation, you face soldiers in the game and they dont want the reunion.

"Hojo put his Reunion Theory to the test in the aftermath of the Nibelheim Incident. The survivors of Nibelheim, including Cloud Strife and Zack Fair (and excluding Tifa Lockhart, who had been rescued before Shinra arrived), were rounded up and injected with Sephiroth cells, Sephiroth having merged with Jenova cells while still in the womb. The subjects were exposed to Mako in a procedure similar to the augmentation done to SOLDIER members.
As the Nibelheim survivors did not have the mental or physical strength to keep their sense of self, they became mindless puppets devoted to Jenova and Sephiroth called Sephiroth Clones. Zack, being a SOLDIER, resisted the effects, but Cloud succumbed and developed Mako poisoning. Hojo labelled the two as failures and held them in Shinra Manor for years, while the successful Sephiroth Clones were tattooed with numbers to keep track of them."
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Reunion_Theory

"Approximately 30 years before the beginning of Final Fantasy VII, the Jenova Project was initiated to produce a human-Cetra hybrid using the cells from Jenova (mistaken to be a Cetra) and Mako Energy from the Planet. The result was Sephiroth, who, although not having the powers of a Cetra as originally intended, was a child with exceptional abilities. Shinra recognized his potential and a method was planned to mass produce more fighters of his type.
Using similar processes, Shinra exposed promising warriors to raw Mako giving their eyes the unique "glow". Although eclipsed by Sephiroth, the new warriors, called SOLDIER, gained powers surpassing those of a normal combatant. They were sent on the more dangerous or important missions, had access to more equipment and information, and were higher ranked than other members of the army and would be used to great effectiveness during the Wutai War."
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/SOLDIER

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Man, Tifa is really an iconic character.
Her reveal is seriously being treated like a big deal, look how casually Aerith was dropped.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it happening. Cloud wields a massive sword and he still looks pretty frail. Maybe a bit more toned in Remake.
True it would be something we don't see much, if at all, in gaming. But yeah I don't see SE doing that at all. Hell I don't see SE even giving her muscles lol.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Her reveal is seriously being treated like a big deal, look how casually Aerith was dropped.

I think it's safe to say she's the most popular heroine in the whole series.

And if that isn't the case, she's definitely going to reach that status in the Remake.

Especially if they split one of the parts where

She takes over as the main playable character

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, he rarely actually comes off like that, considering how easily Dr. Hollander overpowered him.

As I said, it was only when it truly mattered. Although we learn later Hollander was experimenting on himself. Which is why he hunted down Cloud for his pure S-cells. He was a joke in every other instance. 0 confidence. But he had the drive to fend off Sephiroth for Tifa and Zack

no, zack survived because he already had mako in his body and was strong, while cloud was weaker and had to face the effects of jenova cells and mako.
Only the tests subjects of Hojo received the jenova cells, if cloud says that in game its a miss translation, you face soldiers in the game and they dont want the reunion.

"Hojo put his Reunion Theory to the test in the aftermath of the Nibelheim Incident. The survivors of Nibelheim, including Cloud Strife and Zack Fair (and excluding Tifa Lockhart, who had been rescued before Shinra arrived), were rounded up and injected with Sephiroth cells, Sephiroth having merged with Jenova cells while still in the womb. The subjects were exposed to Mako in a procedure similar to the augmentation done to SOLDIER members.
As the Nibelheim survivors did not have the mental or physical strength to keep their sense of self, they became mindless puppets devoted to Jenova and Sephiroth called Sephiroth Clones. Zack, being a SOLDIER, resisted the effects, but Cloud succumbed and developed Mako poisoning. Hojo labelled the two as failures and held them in Shinra Manor for years, while the successful Sephiroth Clones were tattooed with numbers to keep track of them."
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Reunion_Theory

"Approximately 30 years before the beginning of Final Fantasy VII, the Jenova Project was initiated to produce a human-Cetra hybrid using the cells from Jenova (mistaken to be a Cetra) and Mako Energy from the Planet. The result was Sephiroth, who, although not having the powers of a Cetra as originally intended, was a child with exceptional abilities. Shinra recognized his potential and a method was planned to mass produce more fighters of his type.
Using similar processes, Shinra exposed promising warriors to raw Mako giving their eyes the unique "glow". Although eclipsed by Sephiroth, the new warriors, called SOLDIER, gained powers surpassing those of a normal combatant. They were sent on the more dangerous or important missions, had access to more equipment and information, and were higher ranked than other members of the army and would be used to great effectiveness during the Wutai War."
https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/SOLDIER

My bad then

That just makes the SOLDIERs you beat up in FF7 less special then

Yeah they are just random battles anyway, but still. They weren't labeled as anything special.

Last edited:

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017

I mean have you seen the different kinds fan-art of her. Whatever way she looks, there's going to be a massive shitstorm of disappointment, due to fans having their own way of seeing her and believing how she should be.

May 26, 2018
You mean starring in the opening scene of the new trailer in a way that sets the tone for the entire game? That kind of casually?

(best girl)

Aerith has got to be more "iconic" than Tifa, at least. She's That One Girl Who Has That One Thing Happen to Her in a Video Game, and her presence looms over the whole story like Darth Vader in that Empire Strikes Back poster.

814Cbv8EftL._SY679_.jpg

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aerith is more iconic. But in terms of popularity, its iffy. Both are top of the whole franchise for heroines

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As I said, it was only when it truly mattered. He was a joke in every other instance. 0 confidence. But he had the drive to fend off Sephiroth for Tifa and Zack

My bad then

That just makes the SOLDIERs you beat up in FF7 less special then
actuallyreading more the article, and with that quote,it seems there's 2 type of cells jenova cells and sephiroth cells, soldier has jenova cells but they are weaker than sephiroth, then hojo created the experiment in nibelheilm with sephiroth cells and not jenova, and that's why they are called clones of sephiroth, cloud and zack survived with conscious.

So they are special but due to sephiroth cells, not jenova, and thats why sephiroth has mind control on the puppets and cloud.
i always thought it was only jenova cells, i learned something about ff7 today.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
actuallyreading more the article, and with that quote,it seems there's 2 type of cells jenova cells and sephiroth cells, soldier has jenova cells but they are weaker than sephiroth, then hojo created the experiment in nibelheilm with sephiroth cells and not jenova, and that's why they are called clones of sephiroth, cloud and zack survived with conscious.

So they are special but due to sephiroth cells, not jenova, and thats why sephiroth has mind control on the puppets and cloud.
i always thought it was only jenova cells, i learned something about ff7 today.

I swear I remember that Zack was a failure because he rejected Sephiroth's cells because of the Jenova ones he already had

In Crisis Core, Hollander and Genesis clones were after Cloud for his S-cells, and not Zack

Maybe its a change Crisis Core did. Its been so long since I played either game

EDIT: I got curious and went looking for the right answer

zvYVE7A.png

6frapQQ.png

Its funny how Cloud became the only real success of the experiment and became a SOLDIER-like guy through Sephiroth. The irony'

EDIT 2: More explained by Hollander. Zack's cells were already mutated and could not mutate further with Sephiroth's. So Cloud was their only option. Dunno if I can link a video or not.

Last edited:

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear I remember that Zack was a failure because he rejected Sephiroth's cells because of the Jenova ones he already had

In Crisis Core, Hollander and Genesis clones were after Cloud for his S-cells, and not Zack

Maybe its a change Crisis Core did. Its been so long since I played either game

EDIT: I got curious and went looking for the right answer

zvYVE7A.png

6frapQQ.png

Its funny how Cloud became the only real success of the experiment and became a SOLDIER-like guy through Sephiroth. The irony
didnt remembered that, yeah so in the end cloud is the only real special case, the games makes it confusing too, they talk about jenova cells there, but its really sephiroth cells.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
didnt remembered that, yeah so in the end cloud is the only real special case, the games makes it confusing too, they talk about jenova cells there, but its really sephiroth cells.

Well the scene in FF7 is obscenely short and even the talk after Cloud recovers doesn't go into detail on it

They don't expand until the Ultimana and Crisis Core

regardless my original point is that most of SOLDIER really isn't as special as they seem. Sephiroth is why the Wutai War didnt end with SOLDIER facing major losses. And even then normal SOLDIERs lose all the time, even with enhancements. Even with Zack, he was cultivated by Angeal and got stronger constantly fighting Genesis. So I don't think Tifa and the rest of the party are considered normies when they can take them fairly easily. Materia also can help close gaps too I guess

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You mean starring in the opening scene of the new trailer in a way that sets the tone for the entire game? That kind of casually?

(best girl)

Not to take away from the Aerith reveal: I think that's the best she's ever looked and I have zero complaints about the design, animation or voice.

But it was telling that nearly every social media post about Aerith was followed up "Okay but where's Tifa?", to the point that #Tifa was trending on Twitter just as much as #Aerith (at least that's what I heard, I don't have the exact numbers). The fact that Square intentionally teased her name but left her out of the teaser really says a lot in a "get ready, she's coming" way that they haven't done with anyone else yet.

Tifa vs Aerith was real heat during the early days of AOL. LOL.

Get ready for a whole new generation of this.

Edit: Since the design has been posted a bunch of times, here's a video version of it:

I concur with other folks in that the face is a bit too dolled-up in an uncanny valley, DOA way. I'm not a fan of the 7th Heaven booty stamp either.

But they could do a whole lot worse than this, so I'd be more-or-less satisfied if the Remake version matched this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.