• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

Someone actually made that joke three weeks before this video was uploaded, lol.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Various things to harass locals including, but not limited to throwing Pokéballs at people.
https://twitter.com/wetheunicorns/status/949297972986163200

And he's always been racist like this:
https://twitter.com/jfwong/status/948290986844680192?s=17
This is all I needed to know. Dumb fuck. It saddens me that this is what people want to see and consider fun(ny).
How many people here watched Logan Paul's content regularly (subscribed?) before the controversy?
I didn't, I only heard about him because of this controversy and obviously that didn't make me interested in the content either.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
This whole episode will make him more money and influence to push his trash to children. He should take his fortune and fuck off into the sunset.

shadowkat

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm good with not giving him clicks.

And if I read that right, he's only pledged to donate 1 millon - has he actually done it?

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not an asshole I donated money to charity." holds about as much water as "I'm not racist I have a black best friend."

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's a good thing this exists. It's impossible to not be cynical about it given his history of controversy with no apparent will to change until it affected his livelihood, but if he honestly is going to be putting money, time and content towards organisations that aim to help people then I feel like I can get behind that. I mean to compare this to the opposite end of the scale - Pewdiepie's response to all his controversy was basically just to say "Yes I said the N word, no I'm not a racist, bye!". I don't think he put any money or time towards any good causes off the back of that?

This is only step one, we'll see where he is in three months to a year to five years down the road and if he's still committed to helping people, or if it fizzles away as people forget what an immature prick he was.

Nov 16, 2017
Why are people in here so vengeful. Why not just accept that he's trying to change and move on. If you didn't like him before, it's not your obligation to start liking him now. However in terms of being a decent human being, you don't have to continue to berate him just because. It serves no purpose other than satisfy your vindictive personality.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm like a minute into this video and already he makes it about himself. He's a garbage person who deserves to not have this.

Raigan-etc

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
London, UK
Good video, sombre music, sad topic, pulls all the heart strings bla bla bla bla

Its a good start to a promising PR campaign to bring his credibility back up

However, the subject matter in the vid, reaching his audience and others who wouldn't normally watch his videos is something that cannot be faulted and can only be a good thing.

I dont watch this guy, ive seen some of his older vids, his target audience is clearly children and adolescents, he says he is continuing with this journey of suicide and mental health issues and will undoubtedly film and upload it all, but will he also do his usual Vlog wacky videos? Can't see both running side by side tbh.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people in here so vengeful. Why not just accept that he's trying to change and move on. If you didn't like him before, it's not your obligation to start liking him now. However in terms of being a decent human being, you don't have to continue to berate him just because. It serves no purpose other than satisfy your vindictive personality.

Because no one changes in 3 weeks

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
He doesn't necessarily need to respond though to that particular organization just because it's the "largest". I don't understand the logic?
I'd also point out it's the largest LGBTQ youth specific suicide prevention org. I don't know how many of those there and how big they are compared to something like the National Suicide Prevention Line? Like I don't want to turn this into an "all lives matter" debate, I absolutely see the value in having a specific LGBTQ+ suicide prevention line, but the National Suicide Prevention Line doesn't turn LGBTQ+ people away, do they?

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida

The lack of acceptance is twofold:

First, it's easier for small-minded people to categorize somebody as strictly good or evil rather than accepting the dual nature of a large portion of humanity - the fact that good people do bad things and bad people do good things. They would rather all points be permanently lost the second you do something inherently disagreeable or against their belief structure. This is hilariously ironic, considering this forum and the previous discusses and celebrates the dual nature of video game and other media characters ad fucking nauseam. They just can't use that critical thought in real life - probably because it's scary and unsettling to admit that seperate aspects of real people can be both appreciated and despised.

The second part is jealousy, plain and simple. For all of the talk about making the world a better place and doing the good thing, a lot (I stress that "a lot" does not equal all) go no further than talk. Some people have never lifted a single finger other than to type to support the causes they so vehemently defend and attack in the name of. And here comes some asshole YouTuber that screws up and makes an apology video and donation pledge that will de facto do more for their causes than they will ever do or ever could do. It's the recognition they'll never get and the impact they never made, despite them being in from the ground floor, and all by an outsider who probably doesn't even give a shit to this day except for the fact that they got caught.

I mean, I see the point, but it's still sour grapes in the end.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I'd also point out it's the largest LGBTQ youth specific suicide prevention org. I don't know how many of those there and how big they are compared to something like the National Suicide Prevention Line? Like I don't want to turn this into an "all lives matter" debate, I absolutely see the value in having a specific LGBTQ+ suicide prevention line, but the National Suicide Prevention Line doesn't turn LGBTQ+ people away, do they?
LGBT teens and young adults have one of the highest rates of suicide attempts.
They are not asking for money, they are trying to reach out to him, because I assume some of the teens they speak with are fans of Logan Paul. This is a real chance that he has to do something good. An actual good deed.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Also

You don't change in 3 weeks

And you don't make the video, apparently monetize it, then pledge to donate without mentioning who you are donating to. Have that shit arranged before you make the video.

lionhats

Banned
Dec 4, 2017

Is this a suprise? The fact that he's not only apologized, but actively trying to make amends and bring awareness to something that he had little knowledge of shows that nothing will satisfy the immense hatred around these parts. Absolutely nothing will convince them in their heart of hearts that this guy is anything but trash, when you have an entire forum dead set on that line of thinking, and anyone who dares to have an ounce of faith that this guy can learn from his mistakes, will be vocally shut down by the majority.

People here acting like they never have done anything wrong in their entire lifes, that every move is a selfless calculated one, and that they always do everything with the purest of intentions. Then you go into threads like "Did you ever say derogatory racist/homophobic slurs" and realise that yes 99% of people here did, and they grew out of it - acting like they *poof* suddenly became rightous and morally sound after they did the one bad deed.

Growth is a slow process, faciliated by people who have made mistakes in the past and want to learn from them, and want to help others learn from them too. But when you have an entire forum that relishes in calling other people trash and garbage, nobody will learn anything, and people will just get more pissed off. Further evidence that people here don't actually want to help or change any mindsets, they just want to bully and belittle others, and seek affirmation amongst likeminded bullies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

First, it's easier for small-minded people to categorize somebody as strictly good or evil rather than accepting the dual nature of a large portion of humanity - the fact that good people do bad things and bad people do good things. They would rather all points be permanently lost the second you do something inherently disagreeable or against their belief structure. This is hilariously ironic, considering this forum and the previous discusses and celebrates the dual nature of video game and other media characters ad fucking nauseam. They just can't use that critical thought in real life - probably because it's scary and unsettling to admit that seperate aspects of real people can be both appreciated and despised.

The second part is jealousy, plain and simple. For all of the talk about making the world a better place and doing the good thing, a lot (I stress that "a lot" does not equal all) go no further than talk. Some people have never lifted a single finger other than to type to support the causes they so vehemently defend and attack in the name of. And here comes some asshole YouTuber that screws up and makes an apology video and donation pledge that will de facto do more for their causes than they will ever do or ever could do. It's the recognition they'll never get and the impact they never made, despite them being in from the ground floor, and all by an outsider who probably doesn't even give a shit to this day except for the fact that they got caught.

Or it's only been 3 weeks, he didn't plan out ahead of time who he was donating to and has not in fact done it yet, he apparently monetized the video and it's over produced to the point of disingenuity and he's not done anything to earn trust.

But sure go with jealous and small minded.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017

Wait so you're saying the reasons someone would hold a grudge against a guy who mocked people based on racial stereotypes and made a mockery of suicide and knowingly distributed that content to children less than a month ago is because they are small-minded or jealous? Damn, that is one hell of an enlightened take.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Late stage capitalism is really fucked up.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
People here acting like they never have done anything wrong in their entire lifes, that every move is a selfless calculated one, and that they always do everything with the purest of intentions. Then you go into threads like "Did you ever say derogatory racist/homophobic slurs" and realise that yes 99% of people here did, and they grew out of it - acting like they *poof* suddenly became rightous and morally sound after they did the one bad deed.

People don;t grow out of it in three weeks.... and he's never even been held accountable for his racism.

Nov 16, 2017
Also

You don't change in 3 weeks

And you don't make the video, apparently monetize it, then pledge to donate without mentioning who you are donating to. Have that shit arranged before you make the video.
In my post, I said that he's trying to change.

Secondly, those are petty gripes to have. Real petty. It takes a lot of time to figure out which charities are garbage and which charities deserve money donated to them. Why don't you wait to judge him until we find out what he's all about nowadays.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
He wants to help people and talk about suicide awareness. And doesn't even bother to reply some email to the biggest youth suicide prevention org in the world?

Exactly. Logan and his handsomely paid PR handlers want to control the narrative and that is all this recent video is about Logan's narrative and how it translates to his bottom line/wallet. They will work with organizations and personalities who will play by the exact rules his table sets. At the very least his people, if they were good at their job, would have recognized that it might be a good idea to respond politely to all organizations but once again it seems they couldn't be bothered. Point is... Logan could give a shit about this very serious issue. He fucked up and this is image maintenance, nothing more. His 10 year old filled hordes of fans just view this as an avenue for logan to get back to his childish, money aggrandizing videos as usual. They don't care about people suffering and thus the whole thing is gross as shit.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
In my post, I said that he's trying to change.

Secondly, those are petty gripes to have. Real petty. It takes a lot of time to figure out which charities are garbage and which charities deserve money donated to them. Why don't you wait to judge him until we find out what he's all about nowadays.

Yes it takes time to do the hard work...

That's why you do the hard work first before coming back to YouTube...

Announce your plans... make the deals, then go back to work.

Also address your racism too.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Wait so you're saying the reasons someone would hold a grudge against a guy who mocked people based on racial stereotypes and made a mockery of suicide and knowingly distributed that content to children less than a month ago is because they are small-minded or jealous? Damn, that is one hell of an enlightened take.

Absolutely. The very reasons you stated are the reasons why any help he gives to a cause will be met with animosity. A good deed from a bad person is still a good deed, but because he's a bad person, people would rather him act more of the villain or say that it's just an act because they're so used to round pegs and holes.

Or it's only been 3 weeks, he didn't plan out ahead of time who he was donating to and has not in fact done it yet, he apparently monetized the video and it's over produced to the point of disingenuity and he's not done anything to earn trust.

But sure go with jealous and small minded.

I mean, it's both and they go hand in hand. Don't know why that's so hard for anyone to grasp.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017

And the racism and vitriol that ran rampant through his fanbase while coming to his defense. He needs to make it clear to them that the way he acted and the way they acted is not okay.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Hi I'm definitely a tool, but I have money from being a paid YouTube social media influencer (aka a paid/sponsored actor) so that should fix the problem, right? Give me a second chance even though I crossed the line so many times already."

This is a PR stunt to keep him from being employed by the company that props him up. It doesn't matter if he cares about suicide or not right now. The problem is we give his company more chances to keep his value from dropping to zero.

Just give up. Move onto something else. There's absolutely no reason to give him a second chance...

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Absolutely. The very reasons you stated are the reasons why any help he gives to a cause will be met with animosity. A good deed from a bad person is still a good deed, but because he's a bad person, people would rather him act more of the villain or say that it's just an act because they're so used to round pegs and holes.
I feel like you're talking like it's WWE or something but I'm having a hard time elucidating why. I don't understand why you think so little of people that the general public is not capable of having a nuanced opinion, like you think everyone is a sheep who is just so mystified by Logan Paul that they can't make rational decisions because he defies expectations.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I want to believe that anyone can change and improve.
But this pretentious shoots...
G5zm37.gif
I love this. Just sitting in front of these fountain pots, thinking. What is a suicide anyway? Can you die if you never lived? What does "life" even mean? Do trees feel sad sometimes? What if the Earth is tiny and inside a marble, like in Men In Black?

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's both and they go hand in hand. Don't know why that's so hard for anyone to grasp.
I'm not jealous of this douchebag and I'm certainly not small minded. I'm pissed that, as someone who struggles with depression, suicidal thoughts and a suicide attempt, he made a mockery of suicide and now he's attempting to use it to gain some fucking brownie points. Also the fact that he hasn't addressed the racism or how his fans have acted.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
He should absolutely address that too. I'm not looking to forgive him or for anyone else to do so, but if he can help, let him help. I don't even think he has to be genuine to do so. I'd rather some good to come from evil sources than just evil.

Ok

I'd note I'm not going to YouTube telling them to take it down.

I'm saying I don't buy this and I don't believe he;s changed and I'm not going to give him credit for anything right now.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, you're starting to conflate the hatred towards Logan, to hatred towards his good deeds.

Just because someone does a good deed, does not necessarily mean you have to suddenly be nice to him, or like him.

So what if people don't like him even if he does good? There are always going to be people who won't like him, even if he does change.

I don't get why you can't accept this fact, and have to make it a morality thing, and try to call people out for being small-minded or jealous as if that has anything to do with the main point.

If you believe he's doing good deeds, or can do good deeds, then let it be. People will judge him on his entirety, not just on his singular moment. This discussion reminds me of Mindy St. Clair, lol.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just the fact that this guy has a million dollars from YouTube ad revenue to throw at this is disgusting to me.

Nov 16, 2017

Except YouTube is Logan's job + he has millions of fans that want to watch his videos. I can definitely see him feeling obligated to provide his fans what they want to see. I'm sure his fans are really happy that he's back.

The only thing sketch about it is monetizing his video (if true).

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, the donation does make this a better response than other YouTube controversies regardless of motivation. I remember the Pewdiepie debacle and thinking donating to Jewish organizations would have gone a long way because it would have pissed off his newfound alt-right base, showing he truly did not support their views. It wouldn't matter if it barely hurt his wallet because it would be "giving money to the enemy" with the daily stormer crew.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I am loving these GIFs from the video. If there was no context I would've said they were straight out of a music video. Completely shameful.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I want to believe that anyone can change and improve.
But this pretentious shoots...
G5zm37.gif

This is so insincere it's painful. Yes in the short term he donated money to a good cause, but you have to be so naive to believe he didn't do that just to salvage his channel/reputation. In the long term this guy now gets to stay on youtube and continues to make horrible videos; that's what he's known for and that's how he will influence the young generation that follows him. The argument that this one off photoshoot is "bringing attention to a cause" is shortsighted in the sense that he's likely going to go back to his previous racist, ignorant, nonsense when he starts making videos again. He likely hasn't truly changed and will continue to be a net negative when it comes to influencing children. If he continues to make sensible videos on the regular about suicide/prevention for an extended amount of time, then I can believe that he learned his lesson. But for now, this is just a way to salvage his reputation, take advantage of young minds, and go back to making millions as if nothing happened.

At the end he says 'this is just the beginning' and I'd hope for him that's the case, because one video isn't going to get him off the hook. His content really does need to change drastically from now on for him to be credible. I wouldn't be surprised if he went on to his old antics in a couple of weeks or months. The video itself is already pretty bad because - like that shot illustrates - this is once again all about him. Why would you have slow mo shots of yourself staring into nothing? It's just a commercial for himself and how he's 'learned'. It really does seem like he's siphoning off a very serious topic to improve his brand. So one improvement he could make is to make vids that really center around other people that were/are in pain instead of focusing on himself for a change. It'll be interesting to look at his content in the future, but if this one video is anything to go by... I'd say he's still looking out for himself first and foremost.