• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barkhide Troll
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Seems good.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
This core set is way more interesting (and possibly lucrative) than 2019. I wasn't planning on drafting this set much but now I'm eager.

Oct 28, 2017
D9XIDCHW4AEmvpm.png:large

We're indeed getting a protection cycle. Not sure what this is hosing.

D9XIB7VXkAIXwBm.png:large

RIP Adanto Vanguard. And more token hate too, I suppose.

Legion's End seems pretty good. That feels like it might become a staple and definitely sideboard material if a token deck gets close to tier 1. Otherwise, I'm not sure black wouldn't rather run instant speed, non-exile 2CMC removal that's more likely to hit anything.

Protection back to evergreen; Bone Splinters; Captivating Gyre
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
fedosu asked:
Your article on Core 2020 specifies that there are no non-evergreen keywords.Blightbeetle has Protection from green. Did R&D change their mind on protection being removed from evergreen? Or am I misremembering and you were just using it way less?

Protection is back to evergreen on a probationary status.
21 notes Jun 18th, 2019

malfegor-bv asked:
protection is back? i mean, i love that, but how come?

1) It didn't technically go away. It got moved from evergreen to deciduous, so it just showed up less.
2) The reason it's flirting with returning to evergreen is the needs of play design. I'll talk about it a bit in next week's article.
20 notes Jun 18th, 2019

This is pretty surprising, though it being Play Design's call makes sense. It loudly says "use this to handle X color decks".

08yFYjV-YwOpcRyHYz5oltqlKRdaCJguRql83SWXeEQ.png

D9XoRzFX4AEv3wW.jpg

Izzy

Oct 25, 2017
My first though for legions end is steamkin hate that can also hit other annoyances.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Theros has some really cool and unique narrative / mechanical stuff that I really enjoy.

It's gonna be awesome when we get our Elspeth God/pw hybrid card too.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Teferi 3, Narset, Thought Erasure, new Nissa, and Chainwhirler were bad mistakes to print. They're all far too good (or warping, in Teferi and Narset's case) for their costs.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Kaalia seems very good right? Digging 6 for for Shalai or Lyra seems great (though they rotate soon).

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i dont think thought erasure is too good, its just super annoying
Mana fixing is too good so that might color my view, since hitting it turn 2 feels effortless.

Two mana for perfect information and perfect hand disruption with surveil one (useful!) tacked on for giggles. I'm not a fan of cards like this. Super annoying, yeah, but the annoyance is from it being an auto 4-of at the cost and too powerful for its cost imo.

I don't enjoy playing the card or playing against the card.

I didn't live through Thoughtseize but I would've hated it lol.

Feb 16, 2018
you don't really notice the games when the control player dies with thought erasures in hand or casts it against a hellbent opponent just for the surveil 1

i played the annoying boring skill-less creatureless esper control for a fair bit
azcanta? broken
teferi hero of dominaria? broken
lots of thought erasures? a liability

magic is dumb when your hand gets stripped and then you draw into lands, but that's the problem of the game design, not really the problem of thought erasure. a removal spell or counterspell would likely have the same effect as a discard spell in those games

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a little surprised (but definitely excited) to see Wolfrider's Saddle. I noticed that nearly all the Auras in Modern Horizons had some soft of way to make up for the potential card disadvantage they usually set you up for. I thought maybe that was just a special thing for MH since it was way more powerful in general than a typical set, but it looks like that may be a regular thing going forward. Really interesting design, not sure how if it will affect Constructed at all but it makes Auras playable in draft.

The set overall looks surprisingly fun, M19 draft was pretty dull but it looks likes commons and uncommon are a little more pushed here, War of the Spark-style.

Edit: Just realized the Saddle isn't actually an Aura, but the point stands, seems like they're actively trying to make both auras and equipment more enticing.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Thought erasure is a tilting card but it's mostly fair and fine can definitely get stuck with a couple in hand doing nothing or topdecking it for no value.

Only way to get certain cards before they generate insane value since countermagic is nigh unplayable atm.

Still I can reassure you that despite 4 thought erasures and up to 27 lands you can still get flooded or screwed.

Deleted member 29293

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think it's exciting that they gave play design Protection as a tool, seems like they have a vision where they want standard to be.

Cavalier of Dawn (?)

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
vuz2y00b9a531.png

Cavalier of dawn
Creature - Elemental Knight
Vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy up to one target nonland permanent. Its controller creates a 3/3 colorless Golem artifact creature token.
When ~ dies, return target artifact or enchantment card from your graveyard to your hand.

Feels mediocre

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you could use it to sac an Oath of Kaya to gain the ETB again when Cavalier dies. But yeah, feels weak especially for WWW.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I honestly don't know why, but I would have liked to see Field of the Dead be a Desert subtype.

I guess I just feel like if a Core printing looks like it belongs to a set, it should have the proper attributes of that set.

Status
Not open for further replies.