Status
Not open for further replies.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Weren't people just complaining that they took too long to ban Hogaak? And now it being banned is a sign that the format is going to die?

What?

Yeah I got no idea, mate.

The format was fine without Hogaak and it should go back to being just fine without him again. Most of the people who were playing him aren't even likely out that much, since it was mostly a standard Dredge shell with a few reasonably cheap substitutions, Hogaak himself aside. I can't imagine anyone even feels that invested in the stupid deck.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
In all honesty, they should have a public set of qualifications for potential bannings. Something along the lines of "if a card is in X decks, and it has Y winning percentage in a qualified list of events over Z time, it will be considered a problem card and could fall victim to a ban". Bannings should never be done lightly. Don't leave it up to our imaginations and perceptions, let the data back up your decision.

I was all for a Looting ban, honestly, and their reasoning was similar to my own. It fits this type of logic. They really just need to be transparent and straightforward with the process. A monthly "State of Modern" article discussing the format and its meta from someone at WotC would go a long way toward that.

I'm curious to see how things are going to shake out but I am truly worried Tron is going to run rampant and we're going to see a Stirrings ban before next August. I know some are saying just ban a Tron piece, but I don't believe that's the problem. Not when things like this exist.

Decklist: MTGGoldfish

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Incoming Island ban?

In all seriousness, a card can be played in lots of winning decks and not be a problem.
lol I've heard the "ban basic Island" joke more times than I can count.

To your point though, I agree, and this is why wrote it the way I did. I said it would "be considered a problem card and could fall victim to a ban" instead of it outright being banned when it meets these qualifications. There's nothing wrong with opening a discussion on whether or not a heavily played card is causing harm to a format.

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
Also (ht to various discussions on Twitter) I think it's past time to axe Workshop and Bazaar in Vintage. Think we can be pretty confident that the cards will still be immensely valuable, given combination of demand as 1-ofs, collectibility, and popularity of unsanctioned formats. Restricting every artifact but not Workshop itself is a) stupid b) not sustainable in the long term c) not even effective; I think a Shops highlander-except-for-manabase deck would still be tier 1.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Eldraine reveals start less than two weeks from now, so time for thread title suggestions!
Ex:
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - Magic is like an onion...

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - Insane in the Eldraine

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - To the Library!

Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - Garruk Revengeance

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - To many-towered Eldraine
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - Every man's life is a fairy tale written by Maro's fingers
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - The Once and Future Ping

While we're on the topic of bans, can we ban all Mono R Aggro players, too?

ELD - Oko character reveal
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Oko-art-by-Chris-Rallis.jpg

Oko-art-2-by-Chris-Rallis.jpg

Oko is a Fey (probably meaning elf in this case) who comes from a non-Eldraine plane where the Fey decided to put aside their trickster nature and form an orderly society. Oko was born a powerful shapeshifter, so they attempted to perform surgery to remove these powers, igniting his spark. Now, he goes around using his powers to expose hypocrisy, as he puts it. In effect, he's a "just a prank, bro!" guy, who will do things like pretend to be a mother's son returning from war and then planeswalk away before he has to deal with the consequences. Also note the sideways tiara.

He seems to be Temur aligned from the picture, but a lot of people insist that the red vine is purple, meaning he's Sultai.

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Oko-art-by-Chris-Rallis.jpg

Oko-art-2-by-Chris-Rallis.jpg

Oko is a Fey (probably meaning elf in this case) who comes from a non-Eldraine plane where the Fey decided to put aside their trickster nature and form an orderly society. Oko was born a powerful shapeshifter, so they attempted to perform surgery to remove these powers, igniting his spark. Now, he goes around using his powers to expose hypocrisy, as he puts it. In effect, he's a "just a prank, bro!" guy, who will do things like pretend to be a mother's son returning from war and then planeswalk away before he has to deal with the consequences. Also note the sideways tiara.

He seems to be Temur aligned from the picture, but a lot of people insist that the red vine is purple, meaning he's Sultai.
It does seem to be more along a violet shade to me.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm going to say one of his abilities is becoming a copy of target creature or planeswalker. We haven't had a Planeswalker doing that, yet.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to say one of his abilities is becoming a copy of target creature or planeswalker. We haven't had a Planeswalker doing that, yet.
Sorta like a Swiss army Gideon? That would be cool.

He's also going to have some sort of Mind Control ability if the interaction with Garruk is any indication.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did y'all see this?

When Emiel, a Magic: the Gathering player from the Netherlands, opened his Commander 2019 "Mystic Intellect" deck, he was shocked to find that the cards were all, save for the foil Commanders, printed in a peculiar way. Instead of the conventional method, both the front and back of the cards were printed on one face.

eyikd8k.jpg

Source: Bleeding Cool

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Cards from past sets are going to be added to Arena specifically for the Historic format:

Let's start with bullet point #1: How can Historic provide a fun, unique digital experience that didn't just feel like "Old Standard"? Well, the answer of "add new cards to Historic" may seem rather obvious, but we landed on a pretty awesome way to leverage MTG Arena's digital playground and growing catalogue of Magic cards.

Starting in November, we plan to add new cards to MTG Arena from across Magic's history for play in Historic formats and events. No restrictions on set, types, or rarities, no-holds-barred new. We also plan to do this regularly, starting with approximately 15–20 cards in November, with a reoccurring goal of adding more new cards every quarter after that. These cards will mostly come out independent of Standard sets (and we'll get to that in second).

We know players would love to see entire sets added to MTG Arena, but speaking candidly, the development time required to add hundreds of cards from older sets, knowing that only a few may have a positive impact on Historic, was more time than we could honestly commit. Adding full non-Standard sets may come eventually, but right now, we'd rather focus on adding meaningful cards on a timeline players can look forward to.

We are working with Magic R&D to help ensure the new additions create a fun and interesting format, but we're also interested in player feedback on which cards you'd be most excited to play with on MTG Arena. As we get closer to November, we'll be looking for direct input from players on which cards to prioritize, so be sure to keep an eye out!

In case there was any doubt about WotC wanting to replace Modern with Historic.

Some more details:
  • Crafting a Historic card will cost two wildcards of the appropriate rarity.
  • You'll still be able to buy boosters from Historic sets, but only in the 45 pack bundle.
  • Historic Limited events are coming.

Source: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-beta-august-29-2019

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Eldraine reveals start less than two weeks from now, so time for thread title suggestions!
Ex:
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - Magic is like an onion...

Is there nothing happening with Eldraine this weekend at PAX? I know years past they've had reveals/a party/etc. at the PAX event at the end of August/start of September.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Why only add 15-20 cards when they have all of Khaladesh and Amonkhet ready to go? Is it because Khaladesh would ruin the format?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the double wildcard cost is fucking scumbag as all hell, especially when it doesn't seem like the "new" cards they are going to be adding to the format will be obtainable any other way?

Why only add 15-20 cards when they have all of Khaladesh and Amonkhet ready to go? Is it because Khaladesh would ruin the format?
I mean, based on the announcements they made today, there is no actual way for them to distribute these sets. They are only going to sell older packs in the $80 bundles (can't buy with F2P currency or in smaller demoniations), and you need double wildcards to get the set.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah, the double wildcard cost is fucking scumbag as all hell, especially when it doesn't seem like the "new" cards they are going to be adding to the format will be obtainable any other way?
The article says that there will be paid monthly Historic events and that, the first one at least, will give you cards just for joining.

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
Historic drop 1 - Deceiver Exarch, Splinter Twin
Their language is a bit confusing as the new cards muddy the waters, but this impacts rotating cards as well. They are trying to stop people avoiding crafting cards because they are going to rotate, as they will cost more afterwards if you ever want to play with them in historic.

I'm going to chart this up with all the other decisions that gets the community really mad so they change it - it's already clearly overshadowing what is otherwise a good introduction.

Last edited:

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
I'm assuming the double wildcard cost was a push from whoever's in charge of the F2P economy in response to seeing how many wildcards some people are hording. I've got a fairly ridiculous pile of them, and I'm not even an ultra hardcore optimal grinder or anything.

The way they're adding cards is fine. I'd rather they just cherry picked the cards from any given set Brawl players are most likely to want until they've created sort-of Commander.

Feb 16, 2018
not sure about this injection of older cards into historic. i guess it depends which cards they pick

odd thing is they already had at least 5 expansions (kaladesh and amonkhet block, eldraine, maybe a couple older ones) already programmed to immediately differentiate it from standard, so i didn't see the need to do something like this

i kind of just wanted a new non-rotating format gives something to do with our purchased cards, but if they're going to inject a bunch of power (eg. jace the mind sculptor, lightning bolt) who knows what we're even going to play

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - Run, run, run as fast as you can... to your local game store!
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - My, what big creatures you have!
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - Fee, Fey, Foe, Fun
Magic: The Gathering |OT| Throne of Eldraine - "What is your favorite color?" "Blue. AAAAAHHH"

Cade

Oct 26, 2017
Nowheresville, MT
MTGOT| Green is not a creative color.
MTGOT| Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, catch a Garruk by his TOE

I'm really looking forward to Eldraine. Sets have been good for a while but the 3 set-on-ravnica in a row really burned me out on traditional MTG stuff. Show me the new goods!

Oct 25, 2017
The 2:1wildcards and only offering Historic boosters by the 45-pack option shows me that us dirty poors aren't wanted in Historic.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I mean, based on the announcements they made today, there is no actual way for them to distribute these sets. They are only going to sell older packs in the $80 bundles (can't buy with F2P currency or in smaller demoniations), and you need double wildcards to get the set.
I actually didn't consider the ramifications of this until just now. I've never put a cent into Arena and I don't intend to, so I guess I'm basically just fucked for historic? cool

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
not sure about this injection of older cards into historic. i guess it depends which cards they pick

odd thing is they already had at least 5 expansions (kaladesh and amonkhet block, eldraine, maybe a couple older ones) already programmed to immediately differentiate it from standard, so i didn't see the need to do something like this

i kind of just wanted a new non-rotating format gives something to do with our purchased cards, but if they're going to inject a bunch of power (eg. jace the mind sculptor, lightning bolt) who knows what we're even going to play
Yeah I hate it, if they are going to add a bunch if must play cards every other month there's not going to be an organic format, just an assortment of must play cards

Status
Not open for further replies.