• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Washington
Standard is fine and good if you, like 95% of the people, play at FNM. If you are looking to grind PTQs then there are only a few tier one decks but in my experience at the FNM level there is all kinds of fun decks to play.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nice new thread title. Gotta see if Arena improves with this expansion. Core 2019 Arena meta has not been very exciting.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Standard is fine and good if you, like 95% of the people, play at FNM. If you are looking to grind PTQs then there are only a few tier one decks but in my experience at the FNM level there is all kinds of fun decks to play.
FNM depends on location. At my local game store, prior to it closing down last Fall, the meta was extremely competitive.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Standard until rotation is pretty hilariously warped around both a small number of problem cards and the unusually large number of basic utility cards. Like, premium removal has to be instant speed exiling removal because of Hazoret, with anything else basically dropping straight down to sideboard quality. At the other extreme, you've got basically a mono-blue Counterspells Tribal control deck in the format because there's just so many block-specific and general counters in circulation that you don't have to denature your deck with silly stuff like non-counterspell cards.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
TzoIRwA.gif

Need card previews!!!!

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
Not Ravnica related, but I have slowly been looking into the stuff released between playing Magic as a child and now.

Came across this fine lady here

Image.ashx

...and she's not like the coolest ever?!

Anyone have any idea if the story might touch Phyrexians again at some point? At least there's Dominaria and the references there..

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Ol' Scytheface is what convinced me to make an Anthems Tribal EDH deck.

The other Praetors are pretty neat, too. Uh, well, most of them. The red one's kind of just a dude due to relative power drift in creature cards.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Phyrexians could come back if bolas is ever dealt with. Probably in a year/year and a half at least if it's not eldrazi again

Nov 2, 2017
Not Ravnica related, but I have slowly been looking into the stuff released between playing Magic as a child and now.

Image.ashx

Anyone have any idea if the story might touch Phyrexians again at some point? At least there's Dominaria and the references there..

They HAVE to be dealing with the Phyrexians at some point soon, hopefully.

Also, she has one of the coolest promos ever printed. Entirely in Phyrexian.

82627_200w.jpg

Menome

Oct 25, 2017

Image.ashx

I started playing Magic during the Phyrexia days and she was a staple of a very annoying deck I played at the time, which basically involved having my creatures refuse to die until she came out and buffed them all.

Stopped playing in about 2013 due to the money I was throwing at it and recently got back in thanks to a beta code for Arena. I am perfectly fine with not having the cards in real-life if I'm getting to collect and play them all for free.

Currently running a pretty effective Red/Black pirate deck that focuses on getting a bunch of damage output, as well as creating some multi-colour artifacts with Captain Lannery Storm so that I can summon Vraska, Relic Seeker for the endgame.

Hostage Taker and Captivating Crew are also in there to use the opponent's own hard-hitters against them.

Unfortunately with the new Ravnica set rolling in, this deck is going to be short-lived, but it's reignited my love for playing it. I think I can keep up a good balance of using Arena to sate my Magic urges and not go bankrupt, whilst using the upcoming Keyforge as a way to play a CCG with friends whilst moderating my spending.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
Back to ravnica, eh?

Wizards got me right where they want me

Edit:

Guilds of Ravnica Mythic Edition is a special limited edition booster box you'll be able to purchase exclusively in the US from Hasbro's online store for $249.99 on October 3. There are 16 normal booster packs of Guilds of Ravnica, and 8 booster packs that contain special Planeswalker Masterpiece cards. You're guaranteed to get all 8 cards. These planeswalker cards aren't Standard legal.

In retail stores like Wal-Mart, you'll be able to get Guilds of Ravnica Theme Boosters on October 5 based on one of the five guilds. They have 35 randomized cards all from that guild, with one rare or mythic rare card, for $6.99.

The Guilds of Ravnica Guild Kits are decks based on each of the guilds in the set, but aren't Standard legal, as they contain cards from previous Ravnica sets. They release November 2 for $19.99.

Guildmasters' Guide to Ravnica is a Dungeons & Dragons product allowing you to explore the world of Magic in their first ever officially released crossover. This contrasts with previous web crossovers in that this is has been fully playtested.

Very interesting. Whoever is behind these developments deserves some recognition.

Last edited:

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Also: I may have only been back playing for a week and a half now, but fuck Teferi. People can spam "Good game" at me as much as they like once they have me on lockdown, I'll make them play out the remaining ten minutes of sequence.

Use an unfun deck, get an unfun response.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That Dragon is 6 CMC? Wow lol. Are they really overvaluing the "can't be countered" or something?

Oct 25, 2017
He wouldn't have been OP at 2UURR, but the mana cost is certainly neat lookin.

Edit: uhh that Dream Eater certainly is...something

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love the design of the cards and the game, but don't know how to play without spending too much money and losing at the same time. Also don't have friends that want to play this casually

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The split cards look really strong. Find's effect is usually four mana, right?

Niv-Mizzet triggering on every spell cast instead of just your own is neat in a control mirror.

Not sure what's going on with Dream Eater at mythic.

MaRo's article has a lot of interesting tidbits.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Both the lich and sphinx feel wrong at mythic. Wrong cost or wrong stats or wrong something, but just wrong.

Find is better soul salvage (2B but common)

Assassins_Trophy_EN.png

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
MaRo's article mentions that every guild that gets a planeswalker card is allied with Bolas and that three will be in Ravnica Allegiance. I guess this means Azorius is one of the Bolas guilds, and the book cover did show a person with math magic we don't know.

Orzhov will definitely be Bolas aligned, and will have Kaya as its planeswalker. Rakdos with our boy Tibalt incoming?

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One thing about Path to Decay that people may be overlooking, the land enters untapped.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are you in the beta for Arena yet? If not I can get you a key.

Have the game, but I'm not feeling how the game works, at least when I played the game some months ago I had a lot of issues with how the cards played, or explanations of the new mechanics, maybe I should try it again, how much has improved the game since the last 4 months?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Goblin_Electromancer_EN.jpg
DmvkW8BXcAEbVJZ

Hypothesizzle is an awesome card in limited for shizzle
First is a reprint for those unaware.

Second is a really interesting design. I saw some concern that this would be too complicated for common, but the play flow is pretty straightforward. Especially since the "when you do" wording means you don't choose a target until after you discard a card.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Trophy is good but otherwise, not impressed. If these are their big Day One spoilers, I'm, uhh... kinda worried.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ravnica is my favorite MtG setting/plane, and I've liked it less each time because they won't stop weaving all the rest of the bullshit into it. Ravnica was cool because it was sealed off from everything else and had 10 different motivations. But ooh now look it's the Gatewatch and now Bolas is the motivation and gaah who cares. Hard pass.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
assassin's trophy is so fucking insane. like a staple in basically every format, this thing is going to cost a ton. its so stupid good

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

Excellent reprint. It's crept up to $15 over the years. I'd like to see WotC doing more of this sort of thing. Not all modern reprints have to be big money cards. Just chip away at the ones that are overpriced by $5-10, and then wow us with a splashy reprint here and there.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Have the game, but I'm not feeling how the game works, at least when I played the game some months ago I had a lot of issues with how the cards played, or explanations of the new mechanics, maybe I should try it again, how much has improved the game since the last 4 months?
They added a tutorial like a month or two ago (and also new card sets).

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Excellent reprint. It's crept up to $15 over the years. I'd like to see WotC doing more of this sort of thing. Not all modern reprints have to be big money cards. Just chip away at the ones that are overpriced by $5-10, and then wow us with a splashy reprint here and there.
Do you think it's good enough to enable 3 and 4 color decks? Along with shocks and checklands?

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think it's good enough to enable 3 and 4 color decks? Along with shocks and checklands?

I returned to the game when Dragon's Maze was released, so I don't really have a great memory of whether it was played in Standard last time, but I doubt it. I remember buying a copy for bulk prices at the time. Its current price is based on Commander demand.

I just hope they go full on and print Bob

I'm willing to go on record and say that I think Dark Confidant would be perfectly fine to print into Standard—and would likely be no better than Glint-sleeve Siphoner currently is (which is pretty good, but nowhere near warping.)

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Dmvp2neWwAU4uwe
DmvrhSXX4AA6mJl
DmvrzOeWwAYifRb

Looks like Selesnya will have an aura subtheme, looking at the big hexproof guy we already know about.

We're getting hybrid cards besides the split cards. Sunhome Stalwart looks pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.