• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
Another boring clunker of a set :/

Please please please let orzhov, azorius, and simic be somewhat decent in the next set

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Open beta starts September 27
  • They will wipe accounts for the start of the open beta, but will not wipe them between the open beta and the full release
  • GRN prerelease packs, planeswalker decks and 1/8 of boosters will come with MTGA booster codes

Ummmmm

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
  • Open beta starts September 27
  • They will wipe accounts for the start of the open beta, but will not wipe them between the open beta and the full release
  • GRN prerelease packs, planeswalker decks and 1/8 of boosters will come with MTGA booster codes
Ummmmm

Buy a box, get sweet 8 dollars of value!

edit: would it be terrible to go around pre-releases begging for Arena codes?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, so in the end, there weren't that many jump-start and undergrowth cards, and green doesn't have any self-milling. Weird.

None of the previously unrevealed cards stand out to me much yet, though the cards pretty clearly confirm that Gruul will be aligned with Bolas, with Domri Rade working for him.

Overall, the set looks like it could be fun, though I'm not sure about undergrowth and jump-start as mechanics.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Booster Packs: Some Guilds of Ravnica booster packs may contain a non-unique code that will unlock 3 Guilds of Ravnica boosters on MTG Arena. Approximately 1 in every 8 booster packs will contain a code. Limit 1 per account.
Quoting shit from reddit because idk where they're getting this
1 per account means they're pretty much worthless.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This set is wack. Sorry. It doesn't look good. These mechanics are half baked and the power level disparity is still fucked.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It also says "non-unique" code. So basically everybody will know what the code is and the cards are 100% useless in all cases.

Might as well be like that Minecraft ad in what was it, Rivals of Ixalan?

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This set is wack. Sorry. It doesn't look good. These mechanics are half baked and the power level disparity is still fucked.
Agree, undergrowth is undercooked as fuck, jumpstart is overtuned and has like 2 cards that are constructed playable. Dimir looks much better than the rest in limited. Boros and selesnya rather dull but should work ok.
It also says "non-unique" code. So basically everybody will know what the code is and the cards are 100% useless in all cases.

Might as well be like that Minecraft ad in what was it, Rivals of Ixalan?
Yeah it's basically worthless, that minecraft thing was in several sets I think.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I thought going in to the extent of a full box of paper product was well worth some extra value, in the interest of drumming up Arena hype. But I guess not. Cheapskate marketing campaigns are the worst.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like limited is pretty much just gonna be Boros/Selesnya tokens vs. Dimir graveyard stuff. Izzet and Golgari seem super undercooked.

It looks fine. Looks like Ravnica. I can't pretend I'm excited.

Alternade

Oct 27, 2017
This is where i'm at too. Surveil doesn't really do anything. It would be like making scry a guild mechanic. Mentor is signature Boros ie combat focused and will never break out of that box. Selesnya has a decent unity to its cards; it cares about token and going wide. Its probably the strongest color pairing in the set. Izzet has overcosted burn and draw tacked onto card disadvantage flashback. I barely remembered the Golgari bc you could put any of those cards in a set without the undergrowth keyword and it would fit.

I was really hoping for a homerun because RTR block was my favorite time to play standard and was willing to give it a try if there was a viable control deck. Even the legends are boring for commander.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jump Start is a really bad redo of flashback for no actual reason and costed brutally.

Surveil is Scry that internally fails to pay off.

Undergrowth is just nothing. You can't even self mill.

Mentor is wonky and requires you to draft 3/1s for 3 with no evasion.

Bringing back Convoke was a dumb idea. They don't do anything with it and it would have been bad with Chord in the set, but is even stupider without it because Chord is the logical payoff for playing a deck that goes heavy on Convoke enabling.

Even the chase cards fucking suck. Vraska is really bad. You don't want a sorcery speed once per turn sac outlet and Abrupt Decay is garbage at sorcery speed in standard where the best thing you can even do is kill a 3/3 with first strike. Ral and Vraska are both Ob Nix variants, as per usual. There is a 6/6 flying trampler for 5 mana with upside for no fucking reason.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought going in to the extent of a full box of paper product was well worth some extra value, in the interest of drumming up Arena hype. But I guess not. Cheapskate marketing campaigns are the worst.

The whole economy approach in the game is simply the worst. There's no legitimate attempt to grow the game here. They just want to milk more cash out of their existing customers.

Oct 25, 2017
They were fucking terrified of Jump-Start and didn't print any good ones.

Undergrowth is dull as shit and all of the good graveyard enablers are in Dimir, unless you want to sacrifice/discard your own cards for no additional value other than what you get out of Undergrowth.

Surveil, on the other hand, is plastered on fucking everything.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
What is Izzet even supposed to do in limited? Cast a bunch of defenders and overcosted fliers?

It's Return to Ravnica all over again!

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
"OMG where is all the self-mill?"

"OMG Surveil is plastered on everything!"

*Thinkingemoji.jpg*

Obv its impossible to have a good assessment of the set without playing it but at a first glance it looks pretty good to me. There are some individual cards I wish were reprinted or some niches that weren't filled that I think could/should have been but overall I like what I see. Not going to lie some of y'all aren't great at evaluating cards. Though to be fair I concern myself mostly with formats other than Standard so that is obv going to influence my perspective.

Last edited:

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree it's nothing, but the lack of self-mill is not true. You can self-mill with Surveil and there are plenty of mono-black cards with surveil. That's obviously the way you're supposed to do it. There would be far too much mill if there was a Golgari method of milling. It's just not necessary.
It doesn't make any sense to have to use a different guild mechanic to even enable it

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So standard meta will be UW control, (almost) monored aggro and some variant of BUG? Ha.
Why would you play mono red aggro? What would you even put in the deck? Every card in the existing aggro deck other than Rekindling Phoenix and Chainwhirler is rotating.

Chandra, Courier, Hazoret and Glorybringer aren't replaceable and there's actively nothing to replace them.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
"OMG where is all the self-mill?"

"OMG Surveil is plastered on everything!"

*Thinkingemoji.jpg*

Obv its impossible to have a good assessment of the set without playing it but at a first glance it looks pretty good to me. There are some individual cards I wish were reprinted or some niches that weren't filled that I think could/should have been but overall I like what I see. Not going to lie some of y'all aren't great at evaluating cards. Though to be fair. I concern myself mostly with formats other than Standard so that is obv going o influence my perspective.
I don't care really about Standard. Haven't for years.

These are just bad limited cards. The original Ravnica block also had bad cards but it was much easier to play 3 colours. I would have liked if they went back to a 3 colour format. Triple Ravnica, triple Gatecrash and then Dragon's Maze/Gatecrash/RTR were failures as draft formats in every aspect of the word, some more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.