• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The way they are handling big score cards on Arena is fucking shameful. Legit might get me to quit the game entirely if they don't address this. 1 in 50 packs for cards that are standard legal is actually insane

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have gone from not playing literally anything other than Bo1 Ranked Standard on Arena for 5 years basically to now I haven't played a single game of it in a week.

Historic Brawl has become an addiction for me. I have always been someone that like to homebrew and I adore tribal/themed decks. Brawl is all about that. I have pillaged my wildcards making new decks. So far I have a Peregrin Took Food/Stompy Green deck, Traxos Colorless, Bontu Zombies, and Zilortha Dinosaur/Mammoth deck.

Now I'm brainstorming a Rakdos deck with Rakdos himself as the commander. I can't seem to stop lol

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I have gone from not playing literally anything other than Bo1 Ranked Standard on Arena for 5 years basically to now I haven't played a single game of it in a week.

Historic Brawl has become an addiction for me. I have always been someone that like to homebrew and I adore tribal/themed decks. Brawl is all about that. I have pillaged my wildcards making new decks. So far I have a Peregrin Took Food/Stompy Green deck, Traxos Colorless, Bontu Zombies, and Zilortha Dinosaur/Mammoth deck.

Now I'm brainstorming a Rakdos deck with Rakdos himself as the commander. I can't seem to stop lol

I also vastly prefer my Brawl deck over my Standard deck. It's just more fun because the opponents are more varied and the decks are less consistent, so you manage to catch some people off-guard.

Deadman

Oct 29, 2017
The way they are handling big score cards on Arena is fucking shameful. Legit might get me to quit the game entirely if they don't address this. 1 in 50 packs for cards that are standard legal is actually insane

Yeah I just saw the Reddit post of someone who opened 188 packs and got 2 of them. That's crazy.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I also vastly prefer my Brawl deck over my Standard deck. It's just more fun because the opponents are more varied and the decks are less consistent, so you manage to catch some people off-guard.
Exactly. It's not as on rails as standard. Also it's allowing me to play some old cards that I DEARLY missed like Captive Audience and Tergrid but without all of the complete unhinged insanity of normal Historic. So many old favorites just popping up in my hand puts a smile on my face.

So far my most successful deck is the Traxos deck. It's just pure weaponized utility and ramp. Its ridiculous. But I think the Bontu Zombies deck is my favorite. I love mono-black Magic.

Are you not able to use wildcards for them?

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Are you not able to use wildcards for them?

Half of the mythic rares in arena are either wildcard only or effectively that now. Its not remotely anywhere close to a viable option now. Mythic booster packs don't address the fact most of these... are not in packs.

Paper packs have big score cards in about 1 in every 5 packs. There is no reason for Arena to be as awful as it is.

Honestly might make the switch to Magic Online... a sentence I didn't think I'd be writing in 2024

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
p1p1 - bonny pall or vaultborn tyrant
p2p1 - colossal rattlewurm or outcaster trailblazer
p3p1 - colossal rattlewurm

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Half of the mythic rares in arena are either wildcard only or effectively that now. Its not remotely anywhere close to a viable option now. Mythic booster packs don't address the fact most of these... are not in packs.

Paper packs have big score cards in about 1 in every 5 packs. There is no reason for Arena to be as awful as it is.

Honestly might make the switch to Magic Online... a sentence I didn't think I'd be writing in 2024
Ah okay. I can see how that would be annoying if you don't have the wildcards to get the ones you want.

Oct 25, 2017

This is lame, I had no idea...

So you are saying there are cards that I cannot unlock via wildcards. Who thought this was a good idea!

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, The Big Score rates match paper in Arena draft packs. Still shameful that they decreased the rate for the packs you get in the Arena store.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
This is lame, I had no idea...

So you are saying there are cards that I cannot unlock via wildcards. Who thought this was a good idea!

No you can unlock all of them with wildcards, the issue is that is the only way to actually get them at all.

The mythic booster packs are really awful these days because of how many mythic rares aren't actually technically in the sets.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
No you can unlock all of them with wildcards, the issue is that is the only way to actually get them at all.

The mythic booster packs are really awful these days because of how many mythic rares aren't actually technically in the sets.

i think drafting is going to be better than packs if you want big score cards. in two drafts i got 4 big score cards but probably passed up about double that if i was just rare um mythic drafting

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
i think drafting is going to be better than packs if you want big score cards. in two drafts i got 4 big score cards but probably passed up about double that if i was just rare um mythic drafting

yeah I usually just crack packs after I get bored with limited but limited might just be the way to go all the time now

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
fallout you mentioned there was a Commander tier list kind of thing when it comes to Historic Brawl. Is there a reliable place to find something that resembles a cohesive list of commanders in the upper-tier?

My Traxos deck is running into STIFF competition pretty regularly now and was wondering if he was up there when it comes to commanders.

yeah I usually just crack packs after I get bored with limited but limited might just be the way to go all the time now

Hey how do you tell if a card is a big score card? Is it the jail bars?

I got "Decimate" in my 3 free packs.

Last edited:

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
fallout you mentioned there was a Commander tier list kind of thing when it comes to Historic Brawl. Is there a reliable place to find something that resembles a cohesive list of commanders in the upper-tier?

My Traxos deck is running into STIFF competition pretty regularly now and was wondering if he was up there when it comes to commanders.

wizards haven't released a list or anything but you can google hell queue brawl to see lists of what people think are there or are at least edge cases. seeing kinnan, esika, rusko, golos, sythis, ragavan or a few others is a pretty easy way to tell though. how the game matches you up depends on a few things like your commander but also the other 99 cards that are in the deck. so there's no hard and fast rules you can try to tweak your power level around. personally i wouldn't put traxos up there

edit: jail bars are breaking news. a vault door is the big score and it will always be mythic

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
wizards haven't released a list or anything but you can google hell queue brawl to see lists of what people think are there or are at least edge cases. seeing kinnan, esika, rusko, golos, sythis, ragavan or a few others is a pretty easy way to tell though. how the game matches you up depends on a few things like your commander but also the other 99 cards that are in the deck. so there's no hard and fast rules you can try to tweak your power level around. personally i wouldn't put traxos up there

edit: jail bars are breaking news. a vault door is the big score and it will always be mythic
Okay thank you that helps a lot across the board.

I just noticed that after a big winning streak and tweaking the deck a bit I was suddenly running into a completely different set of deck all of a sudden. I've been breaking even, but when I lose I lose BAD. Like regular Historic bad. It's Turn 4 and I'm dead bad. It's nuts.

And that's good to know. I though the bars and the "Bonus Sheet" meant a big score. I hit 2 in the 3 free packs and was about to feel really guilty for darkside lol

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I'm really enjoying the draft format so far. Sealed on the other hand… play boosters might have killed

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Day one 17lands data is up. Green is the winningest color so far.

Color data -

17Lands.com

Card data -

17Lands.com

i did go 7-0 with my green deck

6mcYpM9.png

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I'll add to what Alucrid said is that the game isn't always going to match you up against non-hell queue commanders. My theory is that the game prioritizes reducing wait times rather than perfect matches, so if it can't find something for you within X seconds, then it'll just throw you the next available match. Basically, there's no pure science to it. The most you can read from it is that if you're almost constantly seeing hell queue commanders, then you're likely playing a hell queue commander. That also doesn't mean you won't run into busted decks with busted draws from time to time, either. That's just magic.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The only thing I'll add to what Alucrid said is that the game isn't always going to match you up against non-hell queue commanders. My theory is that the game prioritizes reducing wait times rather than perfect matches, so if it can't find something for you within X seconds, then it'll just throw you the next available match. Basically, there's no pure science to it. The most you can read from it is that if you're almost constantly seeing hell queue commanders, then you're likely playing a hell queue commander. That also doesn't mean you won't run into busted decks with busted draws from time to time, either. That's just magic.
Gotcha.

My attempt at a Rakdos deck was met with lower tier stuff as far as I can tell but still lost every match. Feels bad.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

I'm currently in the "50% Etali" commander tier, which I'm totally okay with. :D

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Getting Path to Exile'd in Limited in 2024 feels real bad lmao.

On the other hand, you get stuff like this... P1P1

LXpFGAz.png

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017

oh 200%, that wasn't even a question. arguably THE most OP card printed in the last what, 5 years? it's so dumb it's even in Limited.

Hilariously, I then promptly faced the same Oko on T3, never drew mine. By the time I got rid of their Oko, game was essentially over.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Trying to decide on my next Brawl deck. I want one of each color but can't decide and right now I'm on Blue or White.

Can anyone give me a good (but not hell queue) Mono-Blue or Mono-White commander? I don't really care if it's competitive. I want it to be quirky or fun.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Trying to decide on my next Brawl deck. I want one of each color but can't decide and right now I'm on Blue or White.

Can anyone give me a good (but not hell queue) Mono-Blue or Mono-White commander? I don't really care if it's competitive. I want it to be quirky or fun.
Unctus, Grand Metatect is fun in m-blue. Gives all your creatures card draw+discard, buffs any artifact creatures you have, and you can even make any creature an artifact by either playing 1 blue or 2 life.

164b07e6-48ba-4789-bd8f-7cada1fec8a9.jpg

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Unctus, Grand Metatect is fun in m-blue. Gives all your creatures card draw+discard, buffs any artifact creatures you have, and you can even make any creature an artifact by either playing 1 blue or 2 life.

164b07e6-48ba-4789-bd8f-7cada1fec8a9.jpg
Oh wow. That does look neat. Never even heard of the card either despite it being relatively new lol

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I'm really digging OTJ draft so far. It reminds a bit of DMU due to all the fixing and green 3-5 color decks. The power level is really high, but it's spread well enough across rarities and colors that games don't often feel one sided because of it. Cheap interaction is also plentiful in every color. The only miss IMO is the reprint sheet, a lot of them fit well but stuff like Oko and even Cruel Ultimatum are a bit much since fixing is so good.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
www.geekwire.com

Wizards of the Coast President Cynthia Williams stepping down after 2 years leading game giant

Cynthia Williams, soon to be former president of Wizards of the Coast. (Wizards of the Coast image) A new SEC filing reveals that Cynthia Williams plans

Money is on her being a sacrificial lamb for losing out on Larian after the success of Baldur's Gate 3.

Outlaws' Merriment is NUTS as a card. That's a ridiculous amount of value.
Well unless your opponent plays Kambal like what happened with me lol.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Okay having played a few drafts and sucked at most of them... I think the key is "3-4 colour good pile". You just can't afford to shoehorn yourself into two colours because there are SO. MANY. insane bombs. If you don't draw your bombs, you lose. You maximize your odds just picking up all the bombs regardless of colour and use all the fixing you can get.

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Okay having played a few drafts and sucked at most of them... I think the key is "3-4 colour good pile". You just can't afford to shoehorn yourself into two colours because there are SO. MANY. insane bombs. If you don't draw your bombs, you lose. You maximize your odds just picking up all the bombs regardless of colour and use all the fixing you can get.

It definitely feels like prioritizing fixing (thus, probably green cards) and bombs is a good way to go for draft. But I've seen a lot of good streamlined 2 color decks like interaction heavy BR or mount aggro WG. The fact that both seem like viable options is a sign of a good format imo

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Wizards of the Coast Japan on fire with its tie in videos again

www.youtube.com

【日本限定】カウボーイビバップ×マジック:ザ・ギャザリング オープニングオマージュトレーラー

昨年記念すべきテレビ放送25周年目を迎えたサンライズ作品カウボーイビバップとの奇跡のコラボレーション映像、「カウボーイビバップ×マジック:ザ・ギャザリング オープニングオマージュトレーラー」をこのたび日本限定で特別公開! 作品の代名詞的存在であるテレビシリーズ版のオープニング(楽曲:「Tank!」)を『サンダー・...

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Kambal makes for a fun commander actually. So many decks rely on tokens of varying kinds that when you put him on the field and have reasonable ways to defend him or your opponent doesn't have a way to remove him, it really puts the opponent in a conundrum.

I came across a rakdos deck that used a lot of treasure tokens and artifact tokens. Kambal just kept copying everything. I was getting free mana, free blockers, and everything. I could actually see the guy just sit there for a second highlight all of his cards, highlight mine wait about 5 to 10 seconds, and then he conceded. I think he was just doing the mental math in his head about whether or not he would be able to remove him often enough and still pull off his strategy. I guess he thought he couldn't.

I've always enjoyed decks that require input from the opponent and interaction with whatever they're playing rather than the single-minded strats that don't really care about what your opponent is doing. Kambal definitely fits that bill.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Does anyone have any tips for how they build their brawl decks?

I'm having a lot of fun making my decks, but I can tell that I keep forgetting major cards that need to be no matter what given the colors used. Like "Lightning Bolt" for Red decks. Cards that are so damn useful that they deserve a spot in every deck basically that can hold them.

There's just so many damn cards on Arena that I am overwhelmed by trying to remember them all. I'll be three or four games into trying out a new deck and realizing that I forgot like three or four cards.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
TIL that Plague Spitter and Decree of Justice's cycling mode is a nonbo! I was so excited using the cycling to sneak DoJ past a handful of counters that I totally blanked on the fact that Plague Spitter would kill all my guys next upkeep.

I'm very bad at Premodern!

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
There's literally nothing that feels better than countering an Oko on T3 on play with my two mana. In Limited. Nothing. It took all the power i had not to hit the "sorry" emote.

Including that card was definitely dumb.