Status
Not open for further replies.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine MPLers are required to participate in mythic championships unless there's some extraneous circumstances and one of the MCs is Modern Horizons limited.
As a member savjz will probably play in MCs is what I'm saying.

MH1 - Abominable Treefolk; Fists of Flame
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Individual images in a bit

EDIT:
61204830_1021982261523529_6186983444986252656_n.jpg

59792455_357170394908728_4478085131660490516_n.jpg

Fists of Flame is a neat design.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I run pretty expensive mana bases and still always have a few basics at least (enemy 2 color decks I go as high as 16 basics). I'd drop one for this. It definitely doesn't replace a fetch but it does service as a nice bonus.
The baseline for lands in my EDH decks at this point is 30, which usually means Im running as few as 3-4 basics. I've started upping the number as nonbasic hate has increased but what I end up doing is cutting duals for basics to do so.

Even my meme 59 lands Damia deck runs just 7 basic forests and 0 islands and swamps

robox

Nov 10, 2017
what's your secret? i run ~36 lands and still been mana screwed. do you just write off the game and start a new one?

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Wow 30 in edh? I usually run 34, but if it works for you I'm mad jealous.
what's your secret? i run ~36 lands and still been mana screwed. do you just write off the game and start a new one?
LOOOOOOOOOTS of manarocks/dorks and cheap ramp. I don't play cultivate or kodama's reach anywhere just too inefficient at 3 mana or much of any 3 mana rocks for the same reason. Then have the commander create card advantage of some sort or be busted.

Also don't be afraid to mull aggressively. I've won a game on a mull to 4 before. Over the course of a long game 1 or 2 less starting cards matter progressively less.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Might actually grab a Morophon to throw into my Gishath deck, as I could see him fitting okay in there. Wonder if I should preorder it? I have no experience doing that...

Also, what are people thinking it'll see use for? Like, most of the tribes I can think of with decent support would more want their dedicated commander than him. My friend thought Allies would take him, but I'd more want General Tazri (and my Allies deck kinda sucked enough that I just gave up on it anyway.) Also pointed out the cute interaction that it makes Jodah's ability free and thus all cards in the tribe cost nothing... but I'm not sure anyone's actually running tribal Jodah, are they?

Oct 28, 2017
Are they basically all cEDH? I run 33-34 lands in everything and could probably cut a few more if I wanted to, but 30 would be pretty tough except maybe in my Selvala deck.

Oct 28, 2017
Might actually grab a Morophon to throw into my Gishath deck, as I could see him fitting okay in there. Wonder if I should preorder it? I have no experience doing that...

Also, what are people thinking it'll see use for? Like, most of the tribes I can think of with decent support would more want their dedicated commander than him. My friend thought Allies would take him, but I'd more want General Tazri (and my Allies deck kinda sucked enough that I just gave up on it anyway.) Also pointed out the cute interaction that it makes Jodah's ability free and thus all cards in the tribe cost nothing... but I'm not sure anyone's actually running tribal Jodah, are they?

Don't preorder anything ever.

Honestly I don't think he's all that good. Would definitely work in a dino deck though since that's all about ramping big and as a dinosaur he's pretty okay.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
Are they basically all cEDH? I run 33-34 lands in everything and could probably cut a few more if I wanted to, but 30 would be pretty tough except maybe in my Selvala deck.
no I only have 1.5cedh decks that I basically never play. One being ad nauseum zur and the other being a jhoira glass cannon deck that either wins t2 or t3 and if not folds to any interaction.

Got tons of decks closeish to cEDH however, I enjoy a high power level with very interactive decks and don't like playing 2 card combos, so most of my decks are either control or midrange.

Oct 28, 2017
no I only have 1.5cedh decks that I basically never play. One being ad nauseum zur and the other being a jhoira glass cannon deck that either wins t2 or t3 and if not folds to any interaction.

Got tons of decks closeish to cEDH however, I enjoy a high power level with very interactive decks and don't like playing 2 card combos, so most of my decks are either control or midrange.

What commanders? Sometimes I think I could do 30 but I'm apprehensive. Do you have any lists? The power level of my stuff sounds similar to yours.

//ARCANUM

Oct 25, 2017
hey, lapsed magic player here. i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this (expecting that answer to be that i'm shit outta luck), but I'd love to play with some old school magic cards, like olllld school. Did they ever do any reprints of old decks or anything that you can pick up for a reasonable price to just have fun with?

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
hey, lapsed magic player here. i'm pretty sure i know the answer to this (expecting that answer to be that i'm shit outta luck), but I'd love to play with some old school magic cards, like olllld school. Did they ever do any reprints of old decks or anything that you can pick up for a reasonable price to just have fun with?
The short answer is no

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
You can get most old cards for pretty cheap. Now old good cards is often another story. Many of them are on the Reserved List, meaning they can't ever be reprinted (until Wizards sucks it up and finally gets rid of the list).

Steve Winwood

Oct 31, 2017
They used to print collector's editions of successful old Standard decks. The cards aren't legal (gold-bordered), but, if you just want decks to play with, those are pretty cheap and convenient imo.

MH1 - Lightning Skelemental

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
D7F2rF9WsAA0z2g.jpg

Ball Blightning- Ball Lightning that makes them discard 2 if it hits them

The longer answer to your question is that if you are talking mid 90s old stuff here, you should probably install Shandalar, which was the old MTG game from the 90s. You can go on Youtube and see the work people have done to make it run on modern PCs

Good Dreams

Oct 27, 2017

If you want to play with older cards without spending thousands you can look into the Pauper format. It's basically decks constructed from only commons throughout Magic's history. High-end decks run anywhere from $60-$120, and there's a wide variety to choose from. When you combine 25 years worth of commons together you can actually make some pretty strong decks.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#paper

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
D7F2rF9WsAA0z2g.jpg

Ball Blightning- Ball Lightning that makes them discard 2 if it hits them

The longer answer to your question is that if you are talking mid 90s old stuff here, you should probably install Shandalar, which was the old MTG game from the 90s. You can go on Youtube and see the work people have done to make it run on modern PCs

Please tell me the English name of this card is Ball of Blightning.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the most significant new cards in the set for Modern- a cycle of off-color Horizon Canopy (they couldn't do the allied colors because they couldn't reprint Horizon Canopy as it's already legal in Modern). These will probably warp deck design to some degree- I could see Burn moving away from the Shock-Fetch base towards a base built around these, as they are great late-game draws. Does getting to play 8 islands that say "draw a card" make Merfolk a more real deck?

D7GRJfiW0AADOy7.png

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I hope this means Horizon Canopy itself will drop some in price.

Oh what's that? These will all probably be $20 and up a piece?

*kicks rock*

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll say the boros colored land will be the cheapest at 30+. Everything else will be 40+. Foil versions will start at 50+ and hit 100+ depending on the color pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.