Dog Weissman

Banned
Sep 12, 2020
I've been playing Elden Ring like many of you. Trying to do so as blindly as possible.

I'm walking through the forest and I stumble on a small building. I approach to find
a descending lift that just keeps going for what seems like an eternity, eventually opening up to a huge beautiful underground area. For all it's many faults, Skyrim did something similar to great effect with Blackreach.

I said holy shit out loud and that moment is going down as one of my gaming favorites.

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
I still think about the final case of Ace Attorney 6 often. I had felt that the series couldn't shock me anymore after all the crazy stuff in 1-5 and both Investigations games, but BOY was I wrong. Absolute jaw on the floor moment.

Jan 4, 2018
The introduction of PREY (2017).

Second Sun and the submarine in Modern Warfare 2.

Arrival of the Prydwen in Fallout 4.

Last edited:

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
JVcDIvv.png

Feb 16, 2022
The pyramid ship on the moon in Destiny 2: Shadowkeep, comes into view just as you turn a corner

The desert/jungle open level in Uncharted 4

The coin locker babies reveal in Yakuza 7

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring when I go to a new part of the map and see how goddamn massive the map is and it just keeps going and going.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I still think about the final case of Ace Attorney 6 often. I had felt that the series couldn't shock me anymore after all the crazy stuff in 1-5 and both Investigations games, but BOY was I wrong. Absolute jaw on the floor moment.
Ive not yet played 6, Im excited to see how that turns out. I love PW final cases, I replayed 2 just a month or two back and its still so damn good.

In terms of plot twists - I still content that Killer 7 has the coolest moment in any game I've played. Its years since it was released and its still the first thing that pops into my mind when this sort of topic pops up.

Game reveal wise - Shenmue 3 existing. And when playing the game, going to Bailu Village for the first couple of times. A real amazing moment I've waited two decades for and literally dreamed about at one point. Game quality aside, its still a great moment.

More game reveal stuff - but back around 2011/mid 2012 (I forget exactly when...) but when Yakuza 5 was being shown off in Japan in its early stages they released an article showing off several new cities and were like "which do you want to see" which was exciting. And the real cool moment is when they just straight up included all those cities in the final game. 5 in general was insane content and quality wise, the only game to even come within touching distance of it combat and content wise is Lost Judgment, and even then, it still misses.

But for pure gameplay/reveal/playing for the first time... its still Mario 64. The control, the rippling in the Hazy Maze pool/paintings, and just seeing a 2D game series move to 3D. Its still unmatched.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Elden Ring like many of you. Trying to do so as blindly as possible.

I'm walking through the forest and I stumble on a small building. I approach to find
a descending lift that just keeps going for what seems like an eternity, eventually opening up to a huge beautiful underground area. For all it's many faults, Skyrim did something similar to great effect with Blackreach.

I said holy shit out loud and that moment is going down as one of my gaming favorites.

This. Recently this

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
FF7R, every second I played it. My brain still can't process its real.
It was such a cultural thing to games and it like...actually...exists.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Nothing has compared so far to playing Shadow of the Colossus on ps2 for the first time. I remember calling my family in who I knew didn't care about games because I thought it was that amazing

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Decoding the language in Fez absolutely blew me away
Actually I felt like this for most of that game

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Elden Ring had more of these ''holy shit'' moments than any game i could remember during past 5 or so years. Even 100+ hours in i was in awe with the scale of this world and certain things i discovered.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
The heavy thunderstorm at the start of A Link To The Past. I was floored when I exited Link's house as a kid. lol

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Force feedback on the steering wheel on the OutRun arcade cabinet waaaay back in the day.

Beating the first Megaman boss and realizing I now have his weapon.

Figuring out the parry mechanic in the boss fight in OOT.

The logo drop in the elevator for Metal Gear Solid after the intro play area.

Seeing Mario take his cap off and show his hair after a stage in Mario 64.

Recognizing Samuel L Jacksons voice in GTA

Defending against my first Relic Raid in DAOC and having the number of people in the area crash both the server and my pc.

Escaping the fire at the "end" of Portal and realizing what was happening and that the game wasn't over.

Thats all I have. Its fairly rare. I love a lot of games, but those moments don't always happen. Even in games I love.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW when I ran on top of the mountain and a massive dragon just appeared out of nowhere.

Don't think I had an experience like that in other games since

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Anor Londo
Being back to Anor Londo
Discovering underground in Elden Ring

Courfeyrac

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
FFXIV has a few, but one stands out from Endwalker:

When Elidibus sends you back in time to Elpis. I actually lost my mind when the story went in that direction. Just getting to see how Etheirys used to be, getting to interact with some familiar faces...

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
That reveal in the witness. If you played the game you know, it blew my mind. What makes it even more special is that different people will have that reveal at different points in the game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
opening part of BioShock Infinite

it used to be what i showed off when upgrading a new GPU, up until 1080ti i believe

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Inside of the moon in Majora's Mask has shook me more than anything tbh.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Facing Diablo for the first time in D2.
Facing your first frontier brain in Pokemon Emerald.
Getting the alternate story path in Tales Of symphonia.
Evo 2017 Top8 for SFV.
Finding for the first time all of the dragon balls in budokai 2 and summoning shenron at the end of story mode.
Getting the johto starter in pokemon emerald.
Getting to Harrogath for the first ever in Diablo 2.
Watching my big brother beating Sigma and finishing Megaman X.
Getting to Eyedol for the first time in Killer Instinct.

Thats the one I can think off atm.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Sliding down the dune in Journey through the ruins and the camera goes side-screen and you see the mountain in the distance as the music swells.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It might have been because I was young, but the moment it's revealed you're not alone in the elevator in MGS absolutely rocked me as a kid.

Both parts fear and shock lmao.

Great moment.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The final Dance of Deduction of The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles is breathtaking, fulfilling a promise the duology spends dozens of hours preparing you to doubt it will ever make good on. It is pure hype, pure joy, pure everything that makes Ace Attorney so uniquely affecting distilled into a single brilliant segment.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Almost dropped my phone when that reveal came in lol

Deleted member 51848

Jan 10, 2019
I was oddly affected by how beautiful the opening nightitme beach scene is in hitman 2. Only played it recently but I was genuinely taken back by the art direction.

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
There are two moments in Xenoblade Chronicles X that are among all-time top magical moments in video games.

The first is when you get your Mech (Skell) and the second is when you get the flight module.

The moment when you get in your Skell and just fly directly ouf of New LA without loading is absolutely unbelievable.

Both moment completely upend the traversal of the game and change areas that you've already been to, as well as let you explore completely new areas.

The only downside is that Skell battles eventually become less mechanically interesting than on-foot battles.

Hopefully Nintendo will let non-Wii U owners experience these shining moments one day.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
The Lovecraftian horror reveal in Bloodborne. I've never marked out so much while playing a game before.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Literally came in here to mention what the OP describes. It is so unassuming, and feels so...unimportant, and then it just *keeps going.* One of the most memorable moments in gaming that I can recall.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Agree with OP, I also had a strong reaction to the Capital area in the same game, which to date may be the most beautiful area I have ever seen in a game.

There are loads of moments like these in Outer Wilds as well, when you solve a puzzle and it completely upends your entire understanding of how the game world works, again!

Oct 26, 2017
So Elden ring is fresh
Lift down to eternal city.
Radahn destroying an area of Limgrave, and giving you access to Nokron and also hidden passage to Deeproot depths.

Deeproot Depths->dragon nightmare fight.

Astel in general.

Dragon lord in general.

Horoah Loux, warrior was a massive holy shit how did I not realise.

Inverted castle moment was awesome.

Descending down divine tower of calid.

Rykard ultimate attack.

Descending down capital to well to sewers to great cavern catacomb to Deeproot depths again.

Fighting Maliketh in Farum Azula

Ranni executed the plot of the black knives.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Entirety of Heavensward feels like a revelation after ARR.

Bioshock Infinite ending.

999 true ending.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
The opening of Mass Effect 2, where you step out into the destroyed Normandy's CIC as the air gets sucked through the doorway and the music cuts out. You look around at the nearby planet, visible through the room's entirely destroyed ceiling, and all you can hear is Shepard's tense breathing. I've played the game a dozen times at least, and that moment still shivers me timbers.

deroli

Nov 5, 2017
Germany
Outer Wilds, the thread. Experiencing the end of the loop for the first time. When that music kicks in I just stood there and watched the sky.
Also revealing
the mystery of the quantum moon. Being able to land and then make use of all the things you've learned so far to advance wasn't just a holy shit moment, but also a fuck yeah moment.

Baba Is You:
You can leave levels by transforming them into objects and interact with them for puzzles in the overworld?! Mind = blown.

That reveal in the witness. If you played the game you know, it blew my mind. What makes it even more special is that different people will have that reveal at different points in the game.

That one, too.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Disco Elysium that moment near the end. My wife and I were both with our mouths open.
Ohhh, good one. That was absolutely magical.

Most recently, Elden Ring obviously had a bunch.
The Mother Brain fight/sequence in Super Metroid.
Bloodborne when you start to see the Amygdalas.
Ocarina of Time when you pull the Master Sword.
Getting the Blades of Chaos in God of War

That's a couple off the top of my head right now.

Nikokuno

Unshakable Resolve
Jul 22, 2019
Ohh the memory... Still my favourite Pokemon game for this and the final secret boss that is
Red at Silver Mont

For me it's weird but I was shocked in FF VII when you get out of Midgar and first time on a World Map.

I still think my favourite WTF moment is in Kid Icarus
when you beat the game goes into the credits and Hades pops up for the second part of the game
. Just smiling and nodding at the twist.