Oct 8, 2019
the_witcher_bathtub_geralt_1920.0.png

Witcher 3 just peaks in the opening minute of the game. You got Geralt spread legged, you have Yennifer summoning some kind of lobster that sucks dick, it really has everything.

Johnnybarra

Nov 1, 2018
A recent one for me was in Patrick's Parabox.

The mechanic had me intrigued but a few levels in there is a startling discovery of exactly how this concept works and it blew my mind.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
When you hear Shulk's voice during the last boss of Xenoblade 2 and realise the last boss fights of both games are happening at the same time.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
in recent memory:

-the moment you take control in the matrix demo. ive been playing games my entire life, and it took me a couple of seconds to realise i could move the character.

-in returnal:
the first time you come across the house

-the first time you start web-swinging in spiderman

Last edited:

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
When I first time started on PlayStation 2.

Seeing this angle, the animations... It was a feeling that never to be experienced again.

maxresdefault.jpg

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I have a bunch from GTA online that would probably sound mundane. GTA and I have certainly grown apart over the years, but I'm so glad I was able to have a taste of playing GTA with friends from all over.

I'm sure we'd be complaining and bellyaching about the same issues, but wish my friend would've lived long enough to see it.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
Allright, one more.

When I started this game on PS3, I knew it was going to be fascinating from start to finish.

As a fan of Event Horizon and Alien, this moment was something else.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
I could say most of the game but definitely the first few moments of Half Life Alyx and everything at the end. Jaw was on the floor.

The main set-piece mid game in God of War (2018) with
the dragon and activating the gate

4th boss in Returnal & the swell of music as you climb the tower was pretty special.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Mission 9-3 of The Wonderful 101.

-Finding out the massive ship you're on is part of the final boss's body
-Learning the origins of the enemy army
-Fighting the final boss while it's wearing a futuristic Wonder Mask
-The cutscenes revealing your ship was a giant gun all along
-The escape sequence
-The reveal of how big the final boss actually is
-The battle in space
-PROTECT EARTH

Probably the most fun I ever had with a game.

Izzidore

Nov 3, 2017
Legend of Grimrock 2 is a game that I wish more of my friends had played so I could talk about this moment with them. You're mostly in small areas fighting up to 6 tiles of mobs at a time but late in the game you enter portal at the top of a pyramid and get teleported here:

20170627223055_1.jpg

It was such a massive suprise and seeing it in motion really justifies it as a magical moment for me. If you love puzzle RPG games you need to give it a go.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Skinning a deer in Red Dead 2, and then carrying it over to load on my horse - only to find a big blood stain on my new jacket.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
The last scene in Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. I low-key expected something stupid to come up but definitely not THAT. It still hurts.

Radical Ein

Jan 25, 2018
Realizing the Hyrule Field music in OoT changes depending on if you're running, fighting or standing still. Blew my mind.

Finishing scenario B in OG Resident Evil 2 and finding out it's not over just yet.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring in general. I've beaten the game played it nearly every day since release and put 200+ hours into it and yet nearly every day I'm STILL finding out something new about it. Its just absurd.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
While Fallout 3 had many issues, leaving the vault and seeing the wasteland in front of you in the beginning was an awesome feeling.

Recently, it's all Elden Ring. All the wonderful hidden stuff everywhere. But there were two that really stuck out to me:

Finding Roundtable Hold in Leyndell. I remember there being something vaguely familiar about the place and then when it clicked where I was, I legitimately gasped out loud.

The coffins. Y'all know what I'm talking about.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm walking through the forest and I stumble on a small building. I approach to find
a descending lift that just keeps going for what seems like an eternity, eventually opening up to a huge beautiful underground area. For all it's many faults, Skyrim did something similar to great effect with Blackreach.
I said holy shit out loud and that moment is going down as one of my gaming favorites.
I strongly recommend Outer Wilds. It's basically an entire ~15 hour game of these moments.

Then its expansion Echoes of the Eye is another 10-15 hour extension of that exact feeling.

It's mind bogglingly amazing.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The last scene in Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. I low-key expected something stupid to come up but definitely not THAT. It still hurts.
That was masterfully done
After 2 Layton games, it's easy to assume the future world/time travel is fake and future Luke is a fraud, which of course lowers your guard to the REAL time travel that is there only to rip Layton's heart out one last time.

One that always sticks out for me is both the first scene where the player meets Luca Blight, and how the final fight with Luca plays out. Masterfully done.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
This probably doesn't count as a "game" but the How to disappear completely/pyramid song/ you and whose army sequence in the Radiohead Kid A Mnesia exhibition is one of the most magical things I've seen on a games console in recent memory.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
Many great mentions in here.

My favorite moment of all-time is the entire scene building up to revealing Kratos' past in GOW 2018. The fight that follows letting you carve through through ice draugrs like cutting cakes is the cherry on top.

It was so hype, I had goosebumps, chills, then started yelling in excitement once the blades of chaos were revealed.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
Yes. 1000% control is one of the first games since Bioshock where the setting was such a strong character.

The ending of Journey
Yeah this blew my mind.

Fez
The Witness
Tunic
Need to play Tunic apparently

Allright, one more.

When I started this game on PS3, I knew it was going to be fascinating from start to finish.

As a fan of Event Horizon and Alien, this moment was something else.

maxresdefault.jpg
Absolutely. If you're a fan of those movies you should watch Sunshine.

Also THAT sequence in Control, when the music kicks in.
So good.

I strongly recommend Outer Wilds. It's basically an entire ~15 hour game of these moments.

Then its expansion Echoes of the Eye is another 10-15 hour extension of that exact feeling.

It's mind bogglingly amazing.
Gotta try to get back to this one.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Assassin's Creed 3. I knew there was a "father" portion before you played as Connor, but my mouth dropped when it was revealed he was Templar the whole time

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
FFXIV Shadowbringers. When I saw
Amaurot
for the first time. It's just so captivating for story importance and beautiful atmosphere.

Hud Hastings

Jul 1, 2018
This probably doesn't count as a "game" but the How to disappear completely/pyramid song/ you and whose army sequence in the Radiohead Kid A Mnesia exhibition is one of the most magical things I've seen on a games console in recent memory.

Absolutely with you on this. Genuinely emotional for me. Those two albums are so inextricably tangled up with *such* specific times in my life, and getting to re-engage with those songs in that way had me in actual tears. A really special piece of work, I hope it never falls victim to licensing issues or closing storefronts or the changing nature of computer hardware and is playable forever.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Near the end of Half-Life Alyx where the gravity starts going crazy and you can start throwing energy blasts. I can't say how many times that game made me say holy shit out loud, but it was a LOT.

Samemind

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's The Swapper and coming to understand what your clone tool can do in the tutorial.
Getting my mind blown that you can "ladder" upwards, but more importantly the fact the devs so cleverly designed the level to force you to learn it without directly telling you about it. Just a flawless execution of guiding the player with an invisible hand

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That whole sequence at the end of FFXIV Shabowbringers with the WOL, the Scions, Emet Selch and G'raha Tia.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Skimmed through the thread, some of the ones I didn't see mentioned off the top of my head:

God of War 3 - Poseidon fight to start things off.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Running into your first Thunderjaw. (Taking the lift down in Forbidden West)

Dragon's Dogma - Seeing a Drake for the first time in a forest area through the trees and mist. (First time you grapple onto a Griffin and it just takes off with you)

Uncharted Series - Too many to mention, Helicopter fight and playing hide and seek with the Tank in the village rubbles in Uncharted 2 in particular.

Gran Turismo 3 - Driving around Trial Mountain in the Castrol Supra as Just A Day by Feeder comes on.

Burnout 2/3 - Driving into a crossroad side by side with a opponent and hoping you can squeeze through the crossing traffic.

Half Life Uplink - Fighting the marines in the warehouse with the storage crates, and having them take cover, shout at you and use grenades to flush you out.

Falcon 4.0 - Think your first flight sim is always a bit of a holy shit moment to be honest.

Last edited: