Grue

Sep 7, 2018
That segment of Mario Odyssey. Now that's pure playable magic.

I don't know if this is referencing the end sequence - the realisation the game is, yes, telling you to do that - proper power fantasy.

Or if it's the mayor's celebrations.

Both of them competed with each other for that year's "Best moment" award.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
HsLyMQW.jpg

This is a good one. I don't really even like BotW, but this WAS a pretty crazy moment.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Castle in Breath of the Wild, the music, environment, layout, the way it's been hyped up the whole game, not through dialogue, but just because it's been in view like 90% of the previous 50+ hours played due to the design of the map, just perfect.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
Several moments from BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Elden Ring, The Last of Us 2, and Return of the Obra Dinn come to mind.

Top top for me I think was playing as Link for the first time in SoulCalibur 2.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
The theater fight in TLOU2, seeing AC Valhalla's massive world, finding out what Project Zero Dawn was, Cloud's true past in FF7

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
When Master D/Hitler resurrected in Bionic Commando NES, killed the original villain, and called me a damn fool. Not expecting that from a Nintendo game.

The second holy shit moment happened a bit later when I graphically exploded his head with a rocket launcher.

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
EDF 5 I think, where a giant fortress the size of a small city level grows crab legs and starts launching missiles like fireworks.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
For me it wasn't stepping into Kanto, but surfing downwards in Pallet Town. I think this was the exact moment I "got" the concept of video game worlds.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Never guessed it would top Super Mario 64 for me, but Astrobot on PSVR is my pick.

After playing games for a long time ( started somewhere in 1978) it is sometimes hard for me to get excited, but playing AstrBot on PSVR, really was a mindblowing experience.

I can't wait for PSVR2.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
After needing to walk or boat everywhere, with long loading screens between zones in EverQuest, the griffon rides in World of Warcraft were amazing

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Skyrim's Blackreach was like that for me a while back bc you didn't realize as you were working your way to it. "Wait this goes further, woah where the f am I?" I think it hit better than the well in ER.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Please explain these?
In these games you can get kidnapped after a certain point.
The game is a sequel to FF7, and Aerith and Sephiroth know the totality of their lives from the original game. The Whispers try to get everyone back on the correct path so the story can play out exactly as it did in the original. Also, the Whispers Cloud and the gang fight at the end either take from or are literally Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo from Advent Children.

And most importantly (to me): Jessie is still alive.

Aufdeel

Apr 5, 2020
The first ones that come to mind are from Uncharted 2
when the building collapses while you are still inside shooting
, the first invasion in Demon's Souls or when in Inside
you become a mass of flesh
, but theres a lot more.

speiky

"This guy are sick" says the Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah Elden Ring had TONS of those moments.
I never played Bloodborne to completion, and haven't played Demon's Souls Remake, DS3 or Sekiro (will be rectified soon) Anyone can chime in whether or not those games have similar moments?

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
The final third of Dragon Quest III is just one looooong holy shit moment right up to the game's ending, and was absolutely the inspiration behind one of the more infamous gaming moments (Kanto in Pokemon G/S/C) posted on the first page. Specifically:

In the first Dragon Quest game, you play as the descendant of a hero who saved the world from darkness. To do so, you traverse a mostly open world, gathering items and weapons that your ancestor was said to have used to reach the game's main villain and defeat them. Dragon Quest III seems relatively unconnected to the previous games at first, as the scenario is more about avenging your father and defeating a powerful demon lord. After said demon lord is defeated, everything seems all well and good... until it's revealed that said demon lord was only a flunky for the game's true villain, who resides in another world. The party gives chase and ends up in this world of darkness that the antagonist was said to lord over. You land in a pretty unassuming pier, but when you step out onto the world map... some familiar overworld music starts playing and it becomes clear that the world of darkness is in fact, Alefgard, the world of DQ1.

So the last act of the game has you acquiring items that you'll need to fight the main antagonist, mirroring the journey that the player character takes in DQ1, with towns that were depicted as destroyed in the first game being populated and full of life, and characters that were only mentioned in the past tense in DQ1 being alive and well here. The game's ending confirms what most players have probably pieced together by that point: Dragon Quest III isn't a sequel, it's a prequel to the original Dragon Quest, and you're playing as the legendary hero spoken of in that game.

I only recently played through DQIII, but somehow never had that twist spoiled for me, and it's stuck with me ever since. Absolutely masterful.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Bioshock infinite:
being transported to rapture was incredible. Hit with surprise, nostalgia, awe. Just beautifully done

Oct 4, 2020
Scotland
I mean, half the game qualifies for this thread. But one that I've not seen mentioned for me was after beating Astel and then coming out into Moonlight Altar, looking at my map and realising that it was on top of that hill in Liurnia that I spent so long trying to get to earlier in the game! And then obviously going down into the tunnel there and finding Ranni sitting with the massacred Two Fingers...

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
The House in Fata Morgana when the mysteries start to unfold.

Truck sequence in City Escape in SA2

Metroid Prime X-ray and Heat vision.

Hacking Tallnecks in Horizon.

Honestly, there are so many cool moments in this medium.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
The festival in Mario Odyssey. I cried in joy. This was absolutely wonderful. I stood up and clapped when it was over.

I've played video games for almost 40 years… and yes, just finished Elden Ring.

Nothing tops the Mario Odyssey festival.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Walking down the Master's corridor in Fallout 1. Despite the simple graphics the music and unnerving dialogue created a truly unique atmosphere and buildup.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
This is a smaller "holy shit" and not for the same reasons as most of this thread

In Left 4 Dead 1's Blood Harvest level, when you crest the hilltop and look down and see the first cornfield, I think my friend and I reacted the same way. "Hahaha...shiiiiiiiiiiiit."

Oct 25, 2017

The Sephiroth build up from Midgar, Shinra HQ, the Kalm flashback was intense...but then when he does this just out of your sight, you know you have to see the end of this game....

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
When you learn that Tidus is actually just a kind of a summon.

When Vesemir dies and Ciri simply loses it.

Finding a certain thing in Mankind Divided.

"No more shall man have wings to bear him to paradise. Henceforth, he shall walk."

When you discover that Ichiban and Ryo/Masato are brothers, and how the game ends. (Yakuza 7)

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
From an epic holy shit perspective: the whole final act of wonderful 101. Galaxy shattering, 200 units, making big robots out of smaller robots, and especially that final moment where you realize the 3 ships make the form of a W and the "Protect Earth!" QTE. The Platinum logo one was also great. Idk it got me teary eyes. Fuck yeah justice.

From a game mechanic perspective, I don't really like the Witness, but the first time I interacted with an environmental puzzle I literally screamed. It just felt so natural and I reached out and it worked. Bravely Default games did fourth wall wow with Lying Airy, Send Player, and the overwriting the save data of the villain in BD2.

From a "your horizons just increased": pokemon gen 2 kanto moment, anor Londo and many souls moments in general, Midgar being a prologue, the psx ff games having many discs.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
  • Metal Gear has a lot of them for me. MGS2 in particular had so many clever touches to the tanker, and well, Kojima did the only thing possible to followup the craziness of Arsenal Gear:
    Fighting the US president on the roof of Federal Hall with your bare hands.

• I honestly can't even remember what, anymore, but playing through Xenogears the first time was incredible. The game really did a good job of raising the stakes.

• The most recent example I can give is really Inscryption. The ending is...wow...but I really don't want to spoil anybody on this game. It is consistently good at breaking your expectations.
I only recently played through DQIII, but somehow never had that twist spoiled for me, and it's stuck with me ever since. Absolutely masterful.

You're also prevented from using "that name" when you create your character. Awesome game, and almost unthinkably improves on the previous two.

The festival in Mario Odyssey. I cried in joy. This was absolutely wonderful. I stood up and clapped when it was over.

The overall feeling of the game was incredible, but the city and festival really stood out. It really brought something new to a Mario game, not as a game mechanic maybe, but as this truly memorable vibe. I would have played 10 levels of DLC without hesitation.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The great ace attorney 2 final case:

I'm in a lovely garden. Not just any garden, you understand, a garden in Buckingham palace.