Jan 13, 2020
First thunderstorm/lightning strike in Breath of the Wild

First dragon sighting in Breath of the Wild

Setting sail for the first time in Wind Waker

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
JVcDIvv.png

This is certainly up there and the sad thing is, we will never see anything like this again. Not only because two regions in one game won't happen again, but also nowadays so many people speed-run, data mine, blast YouTube thumbnails up the day of release full of spoilers etc. that big secret reveals like this just aren't possible now.

I played Gold and Silver when they came out and when I discovered Kanto was in the game it was *unreal*. No Internet spoilers, just pure revelation after having already sunk weeks into the game. Man I miss those days.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Probably been mentioned already but stepping out of Midgar in FFVII absolutely blew my 9 year old little mind.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Recently it was finding out how practical traversing the environment with the GLOO gun was in Prey, that there were many areas actually designed for it but the whole level felt naturally built like there's no reason to create a stairway to the rafters except your own curiosity and the game allows it.

It's part of why I enjoyed Halo 2 and 3, you'd be in these big levels and you could find ways up onto architecture for no real benefit (some times there were skulls) but it felt like you could actually explore and for a second it didn't feel so much like a constructed game world full of invisible boundaries.

Assassins Creed is oversaturated now but when number 1 came out the ability to climb all the buildings and free run around big cities was absolutely amazing.

I see a bit of a pattern for me here haha

For a smaller moment, it was Hollow Knight having a dedicated map button on a primary button like a shoulder. I just loved the feeling of exploring and pulling out my map. Like wow why haven't people thought of this before, it's so convenient and easy.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Gargoyle tattoo reveal

Mistwood Well
Radhan's meteor attack
Rykert's snake form

Having 40 insight

Thunderjaw combat out in the world

Pretty much all of second and third level

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Another one for me was the ending of Golden Sun. Talk about a cliffhanger.

Then the opening of The Lost Age being the same events but following Jenna just blew my mind even more.

Brandino

Avenger
Jan 9, 2018
The birth of Kirregian as the Queen of Blades in Star Craft

Killing an NPC in Half-Life and having the game not end

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
For me it was sekiro.

Fighting and killing Guardian ape and you think it's over and all of a sudden the decapitated body just starts moving, gets up and wtf a phrase 2 to this? Holy shit!

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
Gargoyle tattoo reveal

Mistwood Well
Radhan's meteor attack
Rykert's snake form

Having 40 insight

Thunderjaw combat out in the world

Pretty much all of second and third level

Can you give more details on the Yakuza 0 moment? I played through that game and loved it and I don't remember the
gargoyle.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
In Undertale, "but it refused".

Assassin's Creed 2, the intro leading up to the title drop.

Yakuza 0, the introduction of Majima, and any boss title drop.

Apex Legends, jumping off the ship for the first time with the song playing in the background.

LetsEatSnacks

Oct 18, 2020
United States
The Half Life 2 tech demo of 2003. A friend showed me that at his house and it convinced me to build a PC just to play the game when it came out. Truly a mind blowing moment for physics in games.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
There's a city in the desert of Horizon Forbidden West that's absolutely incredible visually. Pretty cool village in the plains too that had me hanging around thinking it's magic.

There's also a couple narrative moments that I said "wtf is going on" in a good way to myself.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Not exactly a scripted moment or anything like that, but the first times I entered in Gaur Plains (day) and Satorl Marsh (night) on Xenoblade Chronicles. Also, staying around on Frontier Village, it was pretty cool moments, even being smaller.

The revelation of who are the enemies on that game were also great.

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
The whole "Jeff" level in Half-Life: Alyx.

I don't even like horror games (and I'm too much of a wuss to play them), but that was straight up brilliant and stuck with me for a while now.

Shame it's so hard to convey these VR moments, you just have to experience it.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
TUNIC: Finally figuring out what the "holy cross" is, and how to use it to "solve the golden path.

INSIDE: All the buildup of this rhythmic explosions happening in the background to finally seeing what's causing it, and the music along with the discovery

Outer Wilds: Basically everything?

It Takes Two: The musical co-op moments toward the end of the game.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It might have been because I was young, but the moment it's revealed you're not alone in the elevator in MGS absolutely rocked me as a kid.

Both parts fear and shock lmao.

Great moment.

I love this moment, because there's a couple similar moments in Kojima's Snatcher, where characters talking to each other slowly ratchets up the tension as you realize something is terribly wrong.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
For a smaller moment, it was Hollow Knight having a dedicated map button on a primary button like a shoulder. I just loved the feeling of exploring and pulling out my map. Like wow why haven't people thought of this before, it's so convenient and easy.

Man, you owe it to yourself to play Metroid Prime, then. Best map of all time sogood.gif

This is certainly up there and the sad thing is, we will never see anything like this again. Not only because two regions in one game won't happen again, but also nowadays so many people speed-run, data mine, blast YouTube thumbnails up the day of release full of spoilers etc. that big secret reveals like this just aren't possible now.

I played Gold and Silver when they came out and when I discovered Kanto was in the game it was *unreal*. No Internet spoilers, just pure revelation after having already sunk weeks into the game. Man I miss those days.

I completely agree and had forgotten about this until you posted the screenshot.
If this was meant to be a stealth Elden Ring thread, I think it just turned into a Pokemon GS thread.

It's not even necessarily just a matter of scale. The original Red/Blue were massive phenomenons that many playing through Gold/Silver poured hours upon hours into.

The overall more mature tone of GS felt like, by that time, you also had matured in some intangible way. Being able to connect your journey through Johto with Kanto truly felt like going back home. It's something I don't know that can be replicated ever again in video games.
It truly affected me on a deeper nostalgic level than I think any game possibly can - partially due to not having strong access to internet spoilers, as you mention.

Unfortunately, it was so scaled back, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed.
But, the final battle made up for all of that. It was an eerie battle in many ways.

Oh, man. So many emotions tangled up in such a simple thing.

I still think my favourite WTF moment is in Kid Icarus

Yep! Floored me when I realized what was going on. And it just kept going. And going. Superb.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Donald Duck pulling off one of the most powerful spells in Final Fantasy history and then dying.

IJoHgcs.jpeg

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
Agree with OP, I also had a strong reaction to the Capital area in the same game, which to date may be the most beautiful area I have ever seen in a game.

There are loads of moments like these in Outer Wilds as well, when you solve a puzzle and it completely upends your entire understanding of how the game world works, again!
The moment you figure out the quantum things in Outer Wilds.. Legit mind blown moment, had to sit for a minute to understand what happened!

Nov 19, 2019
The Dragons in Breath of the Wild for me. I suppose because of the nature of the Dragons and how they work, they were one of the less talked about things in the game upon release, so I hadn't heard at all about them despite already seeing tons of videos and reading lots of commentary about the game.

When I heard the music and saw one for the first time in game it blew my mind. I also initially thought it was some kinda worm.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
That first view of Liurnia of the Lakes is just incredible in ER.

Just using this as it was a recent thing. I'm sure more will come to me.

Gacha Santa Alter

"This guy are sick"
Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
Komaeda's gambit in chapter 5 of Danganronpa 2. When you find the body, it's obvious there's more to that situation than meets the eye. You investigate, all your findings seem to support it. You start the trial, it goes pretty much as you expect it to and you wrap it up as you find out he was just as mad as you thought we was, if not even more so.

And then you realize why that feeling that something wasn't quite right about the whole thing didn't go away as the true extent of his madness and absolute faith in his luck becomes clear and it finally sinks in that he had the last laugh and there's nothing you can do about it.

Oct 29, 2017
I've been playing Elden Ring like many of you. Trying to do so as blindly as possible.

I'm walking through the forest and I stumble on a small building. I approach to find
a descending lift that just keeps going for what seems like an eternity, eventually opening up to a huge beautiful underground area. For all it's many faults, Skyrim did something similar to great effect with Blackreach.

I said holy shit out loud and that moment is going down as one of my gaming favorites.

That moment was amazing.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Several moments in Disco Elysium but especially that moment right near the end.

Tunic/Outer Wilds + Echoes of the Eye/Obra Dinn/Forgotten City - Basically the entirety of each of these games was pure wonder from one moment to the next.

None will top Half-Life: Alyx for me though personally. Again, the whole game is nuts but that ending...

Supau

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This thread has been an absolute joy to read through. So many memories.

It has already been mentioned, but Sekiro's
Guardian Ape
was such a mindbender. Absolutely loved it.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I've been playing Elden Ring like many of you. Trying to do so as blindly as possible.

I'm walking through the forest and I stumble on a small building. I approach to find
a descending lift that just keeps going for what seems like an eternity, eventually opening up to a huge beautiful underground area. For all it's many faults, Skyrim did something similar to great effect with Blackreach.

I said holy shit out loud and that moment is going down as one of my gaming favorites.
Yeah, it was recently this moment for me. Jaw absolutely dropped when I got there and realized, man, this game is big.

Another one I had a while ago:

Satorl Marsh changing to night for the first time was one hell of an experience that I won't soon forget. When it first happened, I just walked around and turned the camera to just take it all in. The music really completes the package, too. Even in standard definition, that place was absolutely magical to behold. It looks even better in the Definitive Edition and I really envy anyone whose gets to experience that for the first time while playing the Definitive Edition.

TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
Komaeda's gambit in chapter 5 of Danganronpa 2. When you find the body, it's obvious there's more to that situation than meets the eye. You investigate, all your findings seem to support it. You start the trial, it goes pretty much as you expect it to and you wrap it up as you find out he was just as mad as you thought we was, if not even more so.

And then you realize why that feeling that something wasn't quite right about the whole thing didn't go away as the true extent of his madness and absolute faith in his luck becomes clear and it finally sinks in that he had the last laugh and there's nothing you can do about it.

The realization fucking destroyed my soul and put me in a dour mood for the rest of the day. A magical moment but in the most hurtful way.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i'm old enough to remember running above the level in super mario bros. and finding the warp pipe as a mindblowing moment. same with flying over the level in smb3 for the flute.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Man, you owe it to yourself to play Metroid Prime, then. Best map of all time sogood.gif
I played Prime 3, did it have a different map mechanic from the others?

Hollow Knight has a certain something something about how it goes about the act of exploration that is the holy shit this is fantastic moment for me. The map isn't a status screen, it's a part of the gameplay in a way. You know?

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Firing up Monster Hunter Rise in VR via the REFramework mod. I actually did this in the demo before the full PC release, and just seeing Rathian and Magnamalo 'up close', so to speak, really gives you a different feel. Makes the monsters feel much more in your face and intimidating.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
-Inside's Ending, specially if you pay attention at the environment.
-The Last Case of Danganronpa V3, specifically THAT twist.
-The Last Case of Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulation, specially the reveal of the killer.
-Finding Persona 4's True Ending
-The Blades and Loki in God of War
-RDR's Ending
-Ghost of Tsushima Title Drop
-The Ambush on the workbench and THAT Theater Fight in TLOU Part 2

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Lot of good mentions in this thread. I'd also add:

- The first time I played Quake with a 3D accelerator card and transparent water
- The Death Star trench run in X-Wing
- The "clear a minefield in an unshielded ship" mission in TIE Fighter
- When you access the hidden area in Castlevania SOTN
- In Xenoblade Chronicles, walking into Gaur Plains for the first time and hearing this: