Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dislike it. Even the "good" combat like FF7R I found to be tedious. At least we have Dragon Quest.

Strittles

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think going back to turn based would be cool but I've rarely enjoyed turned based RPGs and I love action RPGs so I'm very pleased with this continued direction.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I mean they do the worst version of turn based with that stupid meter. I hate their combat although I only played a bit of 15 and 13 because I hated the combat, lol. Last FF I played, liked and finished was Crisis Core, which (if I recall correctly) was an action game, and not their terrible turn based system. So.....bring it on. Its about time.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have liked turn based combat a bit better, but I also love XV's action oriented combat, so I don't really mind.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
Make it hybrid like FF7R and less like FF15. FF7R was fun because of the strategic element to the combat and being able to swap through characters but also having the option to use shortcuts and go full action. FF15 was boring because it was 99% warping

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy hasn't been turn-based, or felt turn-based, for quite awhile now. That it appears to be full action now seems to be par for the course in what it's been moving away from.

Glad it is letting me know this early on that it's yet another main line FF to stay away from.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I enjoy action combat, i also enjoy it in FFXV, although it wasnt perfect. This one i'm not so sure, it seems to be quite fast, which often just ends in button-smashing, but will see.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
It will still have RPG design combined with action combat, so it's not like it's turned into DMC.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Reasons I liked the classic Final Fantasy games:

1. Epic Stories
2. Beautiful Music
3. Fantastic World Design
4. Strategic Combat, that doesn't rely on reflexes for success

Now that the combat appears to be all about action combos and the like, I can no longer say I like Final Fantasy for #4. It makes me very sad. If I were new to Final Fantasy, I would not be interested in the series if I started at XV or, apparently now, XVI.

At least VII:R still met all the criteria.

lilojigsaw

Chicken Chaser
Mar 1, 2018
Super sad, but I am most likely in the minority. Really wish they would at least make some side projects that would be in the old for of turn based combat.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not a fan. After the combat in FF7R I was hoping for something more tactical and/or slow-paced, but this seems like the opposite.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Super sad, but I am most likely in the minority. Really wish they would at least make some side projects that would be in the old for of turn based combat.

world-of-final-fantasy-maxima-switch-screenshot01.jpg

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
As long as it plays great I can't complain.

And...

4fg14x.gif

I just noticed Nero basic combo here lol. Yeah this will play great

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Turn-based is a niche within an already niche genre. If SE want the big bucks, they have to appeal to as many people as possible.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
It's the main reason I'm interested in the game now, since the setting and story they showed off in the trailer didn't really appeal to me at all.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I guess i'm one of the few FF that has no preference for setting or combat style. As long as it's single player i don't really care. Let the devs do what they want.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like XV so it's disappointing to see. Was hoping for something more like XII honestly, but I'm prolly in the minority there.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
I would 100 % prefer turn based. That said, the battles in Dragon's Dogma are great so I expect no less from FFXVI.

Weeniekuns

Oct 27, 2017
Most people will like it while a small subset hardcore fans/enthusiasts will hate it with a passion... you obviously sell to the majority.

Look at manual transmissions in sports cars for instance.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Honestly, I may have said this before, but I've never really cared for any of Square-Enix's real-time combat. Games like Kingdom Hearts I find serviceable at best, and Final Fantasy XV was boring to me. 7R has this hybrid thing going on where I honestly spent a decent amount of time menu'ing commands so I'm okay with that.

I really do hope that XVI knocks it out the park with its combat system, and I do believe the team set up to work on this game, the names involved, that they'll make it happen.

I'll miss turn-based, menu-driven Final Fantasy games, however. I can say "Well, we have Dragon Quest!" and Dragon Quest is my favorite turn-based series, but I'd love to see more high budget turn-based games.

Here's to hoping Capcom switches up the systems a bit in Monster Hunter Stories 2. I enjoyed the RPS combat, but if they can transition to a fully fleshed out turn-based system that would make me ecstatic.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, should've happened way sooner. Turn-based combat should stay back in 1999 where it belongs :)

Oct 25, 2017
Totally fine, I might even prefer an action game. Lightning returns was a good action start and has the penultimate implementation of what was in XIII (very good for pre battle setups, but incomplete for in the moment tactics like party placement) and XIII-2 (mostly QOL fixes that improved tactics, but at the cost of bad balancing). I played a lot of FFXV in its various forms, the FFVII:RE demo was very cool and had a higher skill ceiling than I expected. Dissidia has always clicked with me, played a lot of it.

I haven't really played a lot of turn based FF - X was my first game a long time ago and I barely brute forced my way through it, and OG FFVII was so borked I needed a guide. II bored me quickly and XII actively made me angry with how much of a miserable experience it was to actually play (MMO nonsense, backtrack to buy liscences to use a weapon, do a bunch of ???? to get basic strings to make your parties AI not cripplingly useless and stupid, the non-zodiac board was terrible, etc.). X and VII were lucky they had such engaging worlds, characters and stories (to me) because they were actively a chore to play during battle.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
I don't want a full on action rpg. I thought they nailed the battle system in FF7R and was hoping it would be more like that.

We still don't know much about it though so I'll hold off on hating it for now.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I kinda lost hope for the Final Fantasy series. The last time they got right the zeitgeist of the gaming world was almost 20 years ago with X. Than we got two (reportedly excellent) MMORPG, XII which was almost confusing is some of its design choices, and came out on PS2 when the HD era already started, 13 which was everything wrong with jRPG of the time, two 13 sequels who felt like desperate attempt of recouping 13 asset costs, and 15 which seems to be on its own planet, a game made by smeone who hasn't played other games after 2007.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping it would be more like FF7R, that game has the best battle system IMO. This looks more like FF15.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
I hate action games in which I just mash a button and win most fights. I hope this will be different

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I prefer action games but I don't like having less variety in high budget games, so I miss the turn based FF

Xenoneo

Jan 31, 2018
I didn't like XV so it's disappointing to see. Was hoping for something more like XII honestly, but I'm prolly in the minority there.
In all the battle systems from FF to FFIX directly or concept, Hiroyuki Ito was involved. FFXII was the real evolution and continuation of FFI-IX battle systems, not all these action ones or even FFX which was turn base.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I don't love it but I get it.

I thought FFVIIR was a pretty good compromise, though.