• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
As I suspected, NZ needs to look at police response times and better policing. This is unacceptable.

Probably NZ police was less prepared and effective since they're not trained for this and NZ is not a usual terrorist target or hot spot where as Australia, France or Belgium for example have the military patrolling the streets. Hopefully there won't be a second time tho.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
Updates from latest Jacinda Ardern conference:

- 50 killed, 34 remain in Christchurch hospital, 12 in critical condition, a 4 year old girl remains in critical condition in Starship hospital
- Bodies of deceased are starting to be returned to families
- Informal list of missing persons has been released, reiterates this is an informal list and does not confirm whether a deceased person has been formally identified
- All bodies anticipated to be returned to families by Wednesday
- Primary suspect is remanded in custody until April 5, he is likely to face further charges
- No indication that the other two arrested on Friday were connected with the attacks
- One other person has been taken into custody as part of the invistigation, no indication that they are connected to the attacks at this stage

- Increased police presence in Christchurch will continue (currently 120 additional staff)
- Mosques will have police presence as the investigation continues
- Ministry of Health providing support to school students in Christchurch with staff being brought in, as well as around the country
- National Crisis Management Centre in Wellington is coordinating organisation of support for victims and families
- ACC increased staff presence in Christchurch for immediate welfare concerns, with eligibility for funeral grants and one-off support payments to family members (eg childcare), income compenstation
- Ministry of Social Development helping with immediate needs eg. food payments and ongoing needs eg. benefit support

- Cabinet meets tomorrow to have preliminary discussions around gun and security policy
- MPs to pay tribute on Tuesday in Parliament
- Official national commemoration services being organised, condolence books available at Parliament and National Library

Questions
- Charges and trial of the primary suspect will take place in New Zealand
- Cannot say whether charges will be laid under the Terrorism Suppression Act
- Over 30 recipients received the suspect's manifesto 9 minutes before the attack, it did not provide any actionable details. Jacinda herself received the manifesto, but not directly - it went immediately to Parliamentary Security
- Reiterates that there will be changes to gun laws
- Primary suspect was in custody within 36 minutes of 111 emergency calls being made
- Turkish government has expressed interest in sending a delegation to commemorate the event
- Highlights the issue of social media platforms to spread extremism
- When asked about the comments of Australian Senator Fraser Anning, she says "They were a disgrace. Any other questions?"

Hats off to Jacinda, she has the patient of a saint after having to answer some of the dumbest questions I've ever heard from the media. Who gives a fuck whether Mark Zuckerberg has sent his condolences or not!?
Thank you so much for this.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
As I suspected, NZ needs to look at police response times and better policing. This is unacceptable.

Police Commissioner statement on police reponse times
https://www.facebook.com/RadioNewZealand/videos/2256011177950418/

- within 6 minutes of calls being received to the 111 emergency line, armed Police officers were at the scene
- within 10 minutes, Armed Offenders Squad personnel were at the scene
- within 36 minutes, the offender was in custody

Sounds pretty good if you ask me.

Last edited:

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

- within 6 minutes of 111 emergency calls being received, armed Police officers were at the scene

Parse the data. 111 calls didn't all happen at once and doesn't mean the same thing as arriving at the scene within 6 minutes of the first call.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- within 6 minutes of 111 emergency calls being received, armed Police officers were at the scene

Sounds pretty good if you ask me.
He went on a rampage for 36 mins. I wonder when his last shot was fired out of that time period. It'd give me a better idea.

Otherwise I suppose I am being harsh on NZ police. The unprecedented nature of this tragedy really has me looking for ways to prevent this in the future.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't happen in New Zealand. You may be used to situations like this in America to the point where your police force is on the scene at a blazing fast speed, but you cannot comprehend the fact that this just doesn't happen here. You don't know what that means on a fundamentally societal level. You don't know what it's like to not have to expect mass shootings. How that influences things like response time.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
111 is the emergency line. Like 911, but... 111.

111 is our emergency services number, not the number of calls. I've updated the post so it's more clear.

oohhhh, duh. My bad. In that case, I'd say it'd be more meaningful to know how many calls went through before they were able to respond than just a response time to an undisclosed number of calls (with no disclosed call times/logs).

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oohhhh, duh. My bad. In that case, I'd say it'd be more meaningful to know how many calls went through before they were able to respond than just a response time to an undisclosed number of calls (with no disclosed call times/logs).

What reason do you have to believe that they are referring to anything but the first call they recieved?

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Free Speech" purist morons and their cowardice have basically fucked us. We badly need heavy regulation for this shit, but people would rather do nothing and let people die. "It can't be helped" or "It's better than the government fucking up" or "It's a slippery slope".

Well, thanks to those assholes White Nationalism and Fascism is on the rise around the world, because we've willingly given these fucksticks a voice instead of doing the right thing and shutting them down.

The chans all need to be deleted. Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube need to have a purging and harsh moderation. Fox News needs to be taken off the air.

Sadly, nothing significant will happen and this bullshit Nazi movement is going to grow. No one is doing *shit*. The United States is entrenched in white supremacy, fosters it, and exports it. It's not just a horrific ideology, it's a fucking Product and its audience is growing and putting people like Trump in power.

It's not going to stop and the things that need to be shut down aren't going to be shut down. This shit is just going to get worse.

Because "my free speech".
agree half dont agree half (nothing facism aspects (disagree with you against them) your attitude to the political system aspect (disagree agianst you)). And very glad youre not in charge with making the laws aspect.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Mass murderers in some parts of the world can feel content about the fact that they can go on a rampage and be rewarded with a roof over their head and food in their belly for the rest of their life. All so we can make a moral point. Apparently we're 'better than them'. Great. These killers aren't being rehabilitated, they're not contributing anything to society, they're just sitting in their rooms comfortable wasting state resources keeping them alive.

That's my hot take of the day, and nothing more to say on that matter but I felt compelled to rant anyway. Strong emotions lately and all that.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mass murderers in some parts of the world can feel content about the fact that they can go on a rampage and be rewarded with a roof over their head and food in their belly for the rest of their life. All so we can make a moral point. Apparently we're 'better than them'. Great. These killers aren't being rehabilitated, they're not contributing anything to society, they're just sitting in their rooms comfortable wasting state resources keeping them alive.

That's my hot take of the day, and nothing more to say on that matter but I felt compelled to rant anyway. Strong emotions lately and all that.
The legal fees and cost of trials over death sentences - which can get tied up in courts for years, anyway - often exceed the cost of throwing them in a cell and feeding them gruel for a lifetime.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
1.5 million!? What the fuck is wrong with people?

Many of them think its cool and awesome, social media has turned death and carnage into a mundane thing and made many people detached from humanity, you only have to look at websites like Liveleaks and former reddit subs like r/Watchpeopledie. At least Facebook and Youtube, despite all their faults are doing the right thing.

We don't have the death penalty.

I know, I wasn't advocating for sentencing him to death anyway, tho I wouldn't mind if he got beat up everyday for the rest of his life.

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
"Free Speech" purist morons and their cowardice have basically fucked us. We badly need heavy regulation for this shit, but people would rather do nothing and let people die. "It can't be helped" or "It's better than the government fucking up" or "It's a slippery slope".

Well, thanks to those assholes White Nationalism and Fascism is on the rise around the world, because we've willingly given these fucksticks a voice instead of doing the right thing and shutting them down.

The chans all need to be deleted. Twitter, Facebook, and Youtube need to have a purging and harsh moderation. Fox News needs to be taken off the air.

Sadly, nothing significant will happen and this bullshit Nazi movement is going to grow. No one is doing *shit*. The United States is entrenched in white supremacy, fosters it, and exports it. It's not just a horrific ideology, it's a fucking Product and its audience is growing and putting people like Trump in power.

It's not going to stop and the things that need to be shut down aren't going to be shut down. This shit is just going to get worse.

Because "my free speech".
You speak of cowardice yet your first instinct after a tragedy is to call for the curtail of civil liberties. Pathetic

Nov 30, 2017
1.5 million!? What the fuck is wrong with people?

There is over 1 billion people on facebook. That is only 0.15% of it's userbase. Which if you were to do a study of how many of the 1 billion are evil people, are desensitized to violence, are curious, have some hatred, are racists, are immoral, etc.. It's more likely looking at a much higher percentage than that of the population.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Many of them think its cool and awesome, social media has turned death and carnage into a mundane thing and made many people detached from humanity, you only have to look at websites like Liveleaks and former reddit subs like r/Watchpeopledie. At least Facebook and Youtube, despite all their faults are doing the right thing.

To be honest I don't think it's a new thing, social media has just made it easier. Back when I was a school kid (early-mid 2000s) I had classmates that had those low resolution taliban execution videos on their flip phones.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You speak of cowardice yet your first instinct after a tragedy is to call for the curtail of civil liberties. Pathetic
Are civil liberties more important than human lives? For what reason do we have liberties except to guarantee that lives are worth living. If a "civil liberty" is interfering with the task of living, then surely the life takes preference.

Anyway, this isn't a problem of "civil liberty", it's a matter of regulation. You're not constitutionally guaranteed a twitter/facebook account. A civil liberty exists for the sake of the civis, citizens, hence "civil". You would find it difficult to make the argument that people being radicalized on social media is a "civil liberty".

Advance_Alarm

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Are civil liberties more important than human lives? For what reason do we have liberties except to guarantee that lives are worth living. If a "civil liberty" is interfering with the task of living, then surely the life takes preference.

Anyway, this isn't a problem of "civil liberty", it's a matter of regulation. You're not constitutionally guaranteed a twitter/facebook account. A civil liberty exists for the sake of the civis, citizens, hence "civil". You would find it difficult to make the argument that people being radicalized on social media is a "civil liberty".

Read the guys post. He is clearly talking about making opinions illegal, not letting social networks enforce stricter TOS. The latter is obviously fine.