• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CSM could probably be in Young Jump, tbh. Aren't they struggling to find new successful series?

Every manga could be in every magazine, just depends on the editorial putting them. haha There's a reason why Orange was in a shoujo magazine with Shueisha and when it changed publishers for Futabasha, it was then published on a seinen magazine. lol

But for YJ, I'm not looking at the mag too much lately so I don't know too much about it.The last one I remember which was a success was We want to talk about Kaguya but even then, it was more on the current Kaguya fanbase that already buys the main title.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Every manga could be in every magazine, just depends on the editorial putting them. haha There's a reason why Orange was in a shoujo magazine and when it changed publishers, it was then published on a seinen magazine.
Maybe "would be a better fit", "makes more sense for Shueisha, especially if Young Jump is lacking for new series", etc. is how I should have worded it.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe "would be a better fit", "makes more sense for Shueisha, especially if Young Jump is lacking for new series", etc. is how I should have worded it.

I think he probably is on WSJ because Firepunch was already serialized on Shonen Jump+ so it's basically the same editorial. With YJ, the editorial would be a completely different one.

And of course, Chainsaw Man, Neverland, Jujutsu and other titles are probably there to not get the same thing they got with Attack on Titan years ago and it got into Bessatsu Shonen Magazine for Kodansha. Of course they still focus on teenage manga but It's clear that they're accepting more series like that which you would see more on Shonen Magazine or , Shonen Champion, which are their weekly shonen mag rivals and are more "liberal".

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, did people here post the interview on mangaplus with two of the editors of My Hero Academia? It's the first of many in which they'll publish

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/126/

I recommend the reading, it's really interesting not only from the series perspective but because it's no easy to see content in english with magazine/manga editors.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I think he probably is on WSJ because Firepunch was already serialized on Shonen Jump+ so it's basically the same editorial. With YJ, the editorial would be a completely different one.

And of course, Chainsaw Man, Neverland, Jujutsu and other titles are probably there to not get the same thing they got with Attack on Titan years ago and it got into Bessatsu Shonen Magazine for Kodansha. Of course they still focus on teenage manga but It's clear that they're accepting more series like that which you would see more on Shonen Magazine or , Shonen Champion, which are their weekly shonen mag rivals and are more "liberal".
I was recently thinking about Jump apparently turning down AoT because of Isayama's artwork(?). I wonder if he would have been able to improve as much as he has if he'd been working with a weekly schedule rather than a monthly one.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was recently thinking about Jump apparently turning down AoT because of Isayama's artwork(?). I wonder if he would have been able to improve as much as he has if he'd been working with a weekly schedule rather than a monthly one.

Probably not. We only have the schedule of weekly magazines (just one, but people use for all the 20 that exists) but monthly is probably much more easier than a weekly one for reasons of more time to do it.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Is there really no way to read Ranma 1/2 digitally online? I used to own like 20+ volumes when I was in high school but didn't keep up and finish the series. Now, over a decade later, I really want to re-read the series and finally finish it, but I have no idea where those original volumes went and I much prefer reading digitally nowadays anyway.

Viz only has it listed as physical. It seems like it was digitized in Japan two years ago but it doesn't seem like they ever did that for the english version? Ugh, this sucks, I would have paid whatever.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there really no way to read Ranma 1/2 digitally online? I used to own like 20+ volumes when I was in high school but didn't keep up and finish the series. Now, over a decade later, I really want to re-read the series and finally finish it, but I have no idea where those original volumes went and I much prefer reading digitally nowadays anyway.

Viz only has it listed as physical. It seems like it was digitized in Japan two years ago but it doesn't seem like they ever did that for the english version? Ugh, this sucks, I would have paid whatever.

Just via scans, I think.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Just via scans, I think.

Lame... :( It is genuinely a bummer how hard it is to pay mangakafor their work from over here. Multiple times I've visited manga authors' twitters hoping to see some sort of funding option, like paypal or patreon (equivalents) just desperate to pay them directly for series I read that you can't buy over here in anyway. Grateful that there's the SJ subscription now, which feels like a step in the right direction, but it's still so limited.

Ranma is totally different because it is so widely circulated in English and has been for many years, but it's extra frustrating that they already have the localized content in English, it just needs to be digitized like it was in Japan two years ago.

BTW:

Btw, did people here post the interview on mangaplus with two of the editors of My Hero Academia? It's the first of many in which they'll publish

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/web_pages/126/

I recommend the reading, it's really interesting not only from the series perspective but because it's no easy to see content in english with magazine/manga editors.

This was a very fascinating read! Thank you for sharing! I feel like I learned a lot about the process of creating and producing a series.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chainsaw Man is a breath of fresh air for Shonen Jump. It almost feels like an experiment for them.

That was Act-Age tbh.

Lame... :( It is genuinely a bummer how hard it is to pay mangakafor their work from over here. Multiple times I've visited manga authors' twitters hoping to see some sort of funding option, like paypal or patreon (equivalents) just desperate to pay them directly for series I read that you can't buy over here in anyway. Grateful that there's the SJ subscription now, which feels like a step in the right direction, but it's still so limited.

Ranma is totally different because it is so widely circulated in English and has been for many years, but it's extra frustrating that they already have the localized content in English, it just needs to be digitized like it was in Japan two years ago.

BTW:

This was a very fascinating read! Thank you for sharing! I feel like I learned a lot about the process of creating and producing a series.

No problem man. haha glad I could show it to more people

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Gathering 1

Okay, this manga is really intriguing with all crazy occult stuff which remind me of Death Mark (It was really a decent game but fun), minus fan-service.

And that goth little girl's eyes though.

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, how can any other girl in Bokuben even compete with Sensei at this point? There isn't a single other character with the same chemistry or history with Naruyuki. Unlike stuff like Nisekoi, I might actually be upset if a romance ending happens and its not a Sensei end.

On a different note, I can't help but have a giggle every time a new Saki chapter comes out featuring Awai. She went from super flat to a G cup in the span of about 3 in universe days. Ritz is an absolute madwoman, and I don't think her editors can even contain her anymore considering her blog last week.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, how can any other girl in Bokuben even compete with Sensei at this point? There isn't a single other character with the same chemistry or history with Naruyuki. Unlike stuff like Nisekoi, I might actually be upset if a romance ending happens and its not a Sensei end.
WSJ doesn't have the courage to have a harem series end with MC getting with the older woman. We're getting Fumino end whenever we like it or not.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Quintessential Quintuplets Vol. 7

Damn, big oof with Yotsuba flunking out being the reason all the girls moved to a new school. I think I like her more than Miku now.

It was so satisfying seeing everyone pass : D

Oct 25, 2017
She is the most interesting character.

I mean he could end with her if say time skip to age that most western people wouldnt feel creeped out by.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Him getting with his teacher seems pretty creepy tbh.
You're not wrong, but it's not like this concept isn't gaining in popularity as of late. There's an entire anime series airing right now based on the premise. Hell, Persona 3 and 5 have social links based around this concept as well.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spy x Family 5
Best new series of 2019 keep proving why it's the best new series of 2019.

You're not wrong, but it's not like this concept isn't gaining in popularity as of late. There's an entire anime series airing right now based on the premise. Hell, Persona 3 and 5 have social links based around this concept as well.

It's based on a seinen manga with a magazine that allows it. WSJ isn't the type of magazine which allows that. Unlike Shonen Magazine, as we can see with Domestic na Kanojo, for example.

On a different note, I can't help but have a giggle every time a new Saki chapter comes out featuring Awai. She went from super flat to a G cup in the span of about 3 in universe days. Ritz is an absolute madwoman, and I don't think her editors can even contain her anymore considering her blog last week.

And I would be upset if it isn't Fumino, which I think the same thing you think about Kirisu. haha So we're both on this.

I wouldn't care if no one ended with him though, as the objectives of them in their career are more important than the romance itself.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
New Series Time!
Double Taisei

"Shogi Prodigy" And I've lost interest.
"Two different personalities" We already have a manga doing that and it's terrible! This is so axed

Oct 25, 2017
Last Saiyuki 11

Well I love the idea of the Torii gate being used like that and cool panel. Also when Ryu and Koharu made that connection moment, incredible.

Act Age 65

Feels kind of final arcy, with how this play is basically like a movie and she's already staring with the best. Really curious if this is planed to end in the low hundreds at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I liked it too. I never liked a shogi series before so this thing with different personalities is an interesting factor.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Act-Age #65
Great chapter. The interactions were great between Yonagi's harem with Araya, Chiyoko and the new guy. Can't wait for more. lol

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
btw, anyone interested in seeing some graphics sales for wsj series? I just picked some that are more recent so I can share. lol

Oct 25, 2017
Double Taisei 1

Think this works really good as a one shot, but for a full series not really seeing what the story's goal is? Kind of would have preferred the two souls inhibiting the bodies and them being able to get their own someday or something, but the way it is now, how would romance work for them? Also Kanade clearly seems to prefer Sei. And its really selling Sei as the best boy over Tai.

The music Sei and Shogi Tai could have been an interesting thing as well.

Still much better than Samurai 8.

Bring on the Rugby.

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Double Taisei(New WSJ Series)

Yeah, I don't think this will last long. It feels like it's in the wrong magazine.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Spy x Family 05
The most elegant family. Still a blast.

Act Age 65
The single tear reaction lol. Chiyoko/Araya interactions are funny.

Having a high profile stage production released as a movie/live streamed sounds nice.

Double Taisei 01
Kind of interesting that this is starting almost exactly a year after Momiji no Kisetsu. Though I guess the prodigy brother in that was dead while here they are in the same body so it is a different set up.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotoubun ch 86 raw spoilers

Yotsuba confirmed main lolikano. Itsuki has known all along, and has been doing the Rena thing for the sake of Yotsuba. She also apparentely confronted Yotsuba about it earlier, and wants to, with Yotsuba, come clean to Fuutarou about the Rena and lolikano thing together

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Spy x Family 1-5
This is so damn good.The premise is fun and the characters are super charming. My only complaint is that it isn't weekly.

Jujutsu Kaisen 1-25
This isn't bad, but it's really... weird. It's full of typical shounen tropes, but at the same time, it almost feels like the author can't decide what direction he wants it to go in. Like, there's that whole plot thread about the rival school or whatever that just keeps getting ignored completely after it gets brought up, and the token girl and friendly rival guy have been completely sidelined for a while now.

And that's not even getting into the fact that chapter 25 should be chapter 26, and what should have been the original chapter 25 got skipped for some reason and was only sloppily summarized at the start of chapter 25. That's EXTREMELY jarring, and I really have to wonder what the hell happened behind the scenes to cause that.

Last edited:

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
Finished two of them this week, albeit older ones.

Itsuya-san
It's only nine chapters (spanning two volumes), but it does a really nice job of telling its story without adding padding to make it longer than it should have been. Never felt like there was a chapter that didn't progress the narrative. Putting the rest of this in spoilers, as the description for it doesn't spoil this so I don't think I should either.

The idea of being able to create magic to give life to the drawings is an interesting twist, although when the reader is shown that it requires a small amount of blood the premise has a deeper meaning to it, which if I understood the last two chapters makes sense and explains why Kon tells him he shouldn't use that magic without thinking about it after he brings to life that copter-like thing to stop the bullies from messing with that kid. Watching Kon & Toki fight and eventually fall for one another was so cute, but how the grandmother was losing her memories due to detementia hit hard, as I had a grandmother who that was happening to that I witnessed.

Near the end, when Kon explains about her backstory and how he father died and she only had her mother, things started to come together and make more sense. From what I understood, it seemed like when Kon was falling her mother caught and saved her, but died to the injuries of doing so (or something hit and killed her during this maybe?). So Kon drew that Itsuya painting and some of the blood from her injuries got on there, thus creating the Itsuya we know in the manga. While it wasn't needed to wrap up the narrative, I did appreciate that ten-year timeskip chapter where we see Kon & Toki got together.

...and now for something completely different...

Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
It was worthwhile to read it, I'll at the very least say that. The first chapter makes it seem like a generic romantic manga in a crapsack world, but when it's revealed that the MC's girlfriend has been turned into an ultimate weapon for military use, the narrative takes an entirely different turn.

I knew things weren't going to end up well, but wow does this manga love to pull and then rip out your heartstrings right after. There's a reason people do the whole "stop now if this is too much for you, it's going to get a lot worse" line, because by the end I was literally in tears (and at other various points in the narrative) and couldn't read any other manga for day or two due to the going through it all.

The scene where the the two main characters have sex near the end, where Chise has essentially became mainly machine was heartbreaking. And then the ending, where they're technically "together" but as she's a hologram IIRC she couldn't actually touch him. And besides the fact that they're the only two survivors of the human race. I forget if it was the anime or author notes that revealed this, but it just adds to the suffering when it's revealed that Chise was only selected because she was the first person they came across that was compatible.

I'm glad I read it, but it'll be a while before I re-read it again.

Mr.Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Starting out as Friends With a Yankee Girl

Someone made a manga to teach basic social skills and deconstruct bad tropes.

What is the word "Yankee" supposed to mean in this context? I don't think it's supposed to mean she's an American but she is blonde...

Last edited:

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Shonen Jump PV with all of their manga

I guess those are pretty much the main current faces of the magazine.

D6_PFqcUIAAhYbR.jpg

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
only 2 chapters of samurai 8 and already being shown?
at chapter 2 i find chainsaw man more interesting

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Starting out as Friends With a Yankee Girl

Someone made a manga to teach basic social skills and deconstruct bad tropes.

What is the word "Yankee" supposed to mean in this context? I don't think it's supposed to mean she's an American but she is blonde...

it's yankee, like delinquent. They tend to dye their hair.

oh man this aren't isn't great

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Jujutsu Kaisen 1-59:
This is very alright. I enjoyed the inter school battle a good bit and that's probably where I started to enjoy the series more. But overall the aesthetic is kind of weak which is a shame since crossing exorcism and high school already gives off a bland expectation.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I have zero confidence that Kishimoto can pull off a transgender character with decent writing, and he's not off to a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.