• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The potential for even more characters is the most exciting part of this IMO. Gimme Pauline & King Bob-omb.

Wayoshi

Oct 27, 2017
That song is a banger.

Still pretty surprised they cared enough to add a character after all this time.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wonder if this means that Pauline & Diddy will be added to later waves.

Still, that Yoshi's Island stage looks amazing. I had high hopes from the Tour datamining, & this delivered.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason I thought they had so no characters were being added with any of the DLC? Don't get me wrong it's awesome, I was just very surprised to see this. Hope we get more!

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
This track looks so good!

With Birdo being added I have a suspicion we're getting other vets too.

Wave 4: Yoshi's Island and Birdo

Wave 5: Piranha Plant Cove and Petey Piranha

Wave 6: rumoured DK themed course and Diddy Kong

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I think what surprises me most is the fact Birdo was not in 8 yet we got characters like "pink gold peach" somehow.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Oh wow, nice course. I was expecting Piranha Plant Cave as the new course. With Bangkok Rush and Singapore Speedway this new wave will be great!

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
For some reason I thought they had so no characters were being added with any of the DLC? Don't get me wrong it's awesome, I was just very surprised to see this. Hope we get more!
New characters weren't being added, but I guess they changed their minds after their was a ton of demand for them (and they have the models + animations laying around Tour anyway)

I'm most surprised Birdo comes with all her alt colors after Strikers didn't (and Strikers invented most of those colors!). Even a few colors here not in Tour yet!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This track looks so good!

With Birdo being added I have a suspicion we're getting other vets too.

Wave 4: Yoshi's Island and Birdo

Wave 5: Piranha Plant Cove and Petey Piranha

Wave 6: rumoured DK themed course and Diddy Kong
You think they're gonna save Pauline for Mario Kart 9/10?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
This is the coolest mario kart track in forever, nothing in this entire pass of multiple waves can possibly compare to GIANT HUFFINPUFFIN

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
More characters is awesome to see.

From Tour we'll need to see:

-Kamek
-Petey Piranha
-Chargin Chuck
-Diddy Kong
-Dixie Kong
-Funky Kong
-Pauline
-King Bob-omb
-Nabbit

And probably a few more that I'm blanking on

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
They said the dlc was just tracks, then they've proceeded to add that item select mode outta nowhere so it's been on the table we could get more besides tracks.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
y1cvfaits1ha1.png

5i50zvhss1ha1.png

Show me this yesterday and I'd tell you it's an interesting looking mod lol

ha4frw1ss1ha1.jpg

Some PR images from the Japanese site

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
I noticed going through the Winged Cloud caused a path to form, just like a secret in Yoshi's Island. That is incredible attention to detail.

Birdo is nice but they really should have been adding new characters from the get-go. It's a travesty we don't have Diddy, Dixie and Pauline yet.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
OH MY GOD it's been sooooo long since we've had a new Yoshi stage.... since Mario Kart DS I think with that shitty Yoshi Falls.

I don't think you know how long I've been waiting for this lol

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this means that Pauline & Diddy will be added to later waves.

Still, that Yoshi's Island stage looks amazing. I had high hopes from the Tour datamining, & this delivered.
Yep, Diddy is a MUST. I think him and Birdo were the largest omissions IIRC. So them doing this AT ALL is a wonderful sign.

Nov 14, 2017
With new characters on the table, I'm crossing my fingers for some of the costumes from Tour.

I NEED those Rosalina skins.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
if we get Diddy and Funky 100% of Wii's roster will be in 8, which would be neato

Only Birdo, Diddy and Funky are missing

Double Dash is missing Birdo, Diddy, Paratroopa and Petey. Possible to get all them but Paratroopa probably messes it all up (although a Paratroopa alt for Koopa would be great)

The other games' full rosters are probably out of reach, other than maybe Super if they feel like going wild and adding pixel DK Jr like Tour did

Michilin

Nov 14, 2017
Now can they sell the base game at least 50% off? I already paid full price plus the DLC on the Wii U, not about to pay all of that again just for the DLCs

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I actually forgot Birdo has been referenced in 8 since day 1 until Reddit reminded me, with the "Women in Racing" banner that had all the female racers in 8 and... Birdo. She's also referenced in Sunshine Airport on the loudspeaker, where they ask her to come to the front desk

It's sooooo weird it took her almost a decade to get into 8

She's also on some banners on Sydney Sprint

Paratroopa is the only other cut character with base game 8 references (Paratroopa Airlines). Kamek and Honey Queen have advertisements in Coconut Mall. I don't think those mean anything, though

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
That Yoshi's Island course looks really cool. Hit me right in my nostalgia fueled love of YI. I know Yoshi's always been in Mario Kart, and Yoshi's Island, and the Yoshi series in general, is heavily Mario adjacent, but this feels like that Animal Crossing or LoZ crossover course.

I can only hope they do something similar with a DKC course and add Diddy at the time too.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Was this Yoshi's Island course rumored for Tour? I did not expect a new course to debut in MK8D, let alone a character!