• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
no. there have been a few, one each wave to be exact.

Ninja Hideaway in Wave 1
Sky High Sundae in Wave 2
Merry Mountain in Wave 3
This is not really accurate. Ninja Hideaway and Merry Mountain have been in Tour for a while now. Sky-High Sundae was the only track that was in 8 before Tour (and even then Tour got it like a month before MK8). The general assumption here (as with this one based on Tour datamines) is that all these tracks were made for Tour first and retrofitted into MK8, though with the fidelity shown here it seems like there's more being changed in the process than before.

Blue_Toad507

May 25, 2021
I hope 'returning characters' include ones from Tour. There are so many good newcomers I'd love to see in a non-gatcha Mario Kart game. Kamek, Nabbit, Pauline, Monty Mole, Dixie Kong...

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
I'm kinda impressed how good that Yoshi's Island track looks, the quality of tracks is definitely increasing from the first waves.

Birdo and confirmation of other returning characters is also great! I just hope for a nice symmetrical character selection screen in the end lol.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
The next Mario Kart game could do so well as a live service game... Kart parts, paint and decals, kart effects, characters, character outfits, character taunts, tracks, music. I could see a Live Service Mario Kart, that would do things like, sell Samus in it's shop the same week Metroid Prime 4 releases, or Olimar or Zelda when their games release. So forth.

If they add many more characters to Deluxe, I don't see how the next game will ever be able to surpass it, lol. 8 is still quite a good looking game, visually.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Is this the first entirely new course of the DLC? Alright this will probably tip me over to going in on it finally. Love the musical rendition, and tastefully stylized visuals to invoke YI's unique charm.

And wait has Birdo ever existed with alternate colors? Kinda weird, seems like they really are establishing her as the fem counterpart to Yoshi for some reason.
This will likely debut before Tour like Sky-High Sundae did, but it's still technically a Tour track.

Also, Birdo had 3 colors in SMB2.

BirdoFan87

Feb 11, 2020
California
My only issue with Pauline is that they would need to make a biker outfit for her when she's on a bike or ATV. Either they can recolor a Peach/Daisy/Rosalina one and just slap her head on there or make it from scratch, but I don't know if they are willing to do that since Nintendo loves porting over content. That Birdo model looks clean though. It either new or pulled from a different Switch game and had her rig changed.

If they do add Pauline, I do hope they change the material of ger dress to the shiny/red glitter dress she wore in Odyssey.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
My only issue with Pauline is that they would need to make a biker outfit for her when she's on a bike or ATV. Either they can recolor a Peach/Daisy/Rosalina one and just slap her head on there or make it from scratch, but I don't know if they are willing to do that since Nintendo loves porting over content. That Birdo model looks clean though. It either new or pulled from a different Switch game and had her rig changed.

If they do add Pauline, I do hope they change the material of ger dress to the shiny/red glitter dress she wore in Odyssey.
She could just wear her pantsuit when riding a bike.

1200px-SMO_Pauline_Bag.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
And wait has Birdo ever existed with alternate colors? Kinda weird, seems like they really are establishing her as the fem counterpart to Yoshi for some reason.
Yup, as someone else mentioned, Birdo has multiple colors in Mario 2 -- pink, red, and green (green being my most hated boss in Mario 2 lol).

Would be nice to see more characters in Mario Kart with alternate colors, e.g. Toads, which have blue and yellow variants in Paper Mario and New SMB Wii / U. Or maybe in the future there could be characters with completely different outfits or color palettes like Smash Bros. instead of keeping them separate like Cat Mario or Pink Gold Peach today.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yup, as someone else mentioned, Birdo has multiple colors in Mario 2 -- pink, red, and green (green being my most hated boss in Mario 2 lol).

Would be nice to see more characters in Mario Kart with alternate colors, e.g. Toads, which have blue and yellow variants in Paper Mario and New SMB Wii / U. Or maybe in the future there could be characters with completely different outfits or color palettes like Smash Bros. instead of keeping them separate like Cat Mario or Pink Gold Peach today.
I see someone hasn't gotten into Tour.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Alt Birdo colors outside of red and green actually debuted in Strikers and this is one of those weird times where a spin-off thing has been adopted into "canon"

Kinda ironic the latest Strikers didn't have alt colored Birdo but Mario Kart 8 does

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I feel like Mario Kart the 8 is for infinity.
I'm not sure how they even follow up 8 at this point without either another port (lol) or just including everything from 8 in 10 and building from there. Part of me just assumed characters were being saved for the next entry but uhh... I guess not

Not sure how you'd go from a fourth of the courses from the series (and most of the ones people care about) and almost every character and then just... reset that back to a "standard" Mario Kart

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure how they even follow up 8 at this point without either another port (lol) or just including everything from 8 in 10 and building from there. Part of me just assumed characters were being saved for the next entry but uhh... I guess not

Not sure how you'd go from a fourth of the courses from the series (and most of the ones people care about) and almost every character and then just... reset that back to a "standard" Mario Kart
There are a couple directions I could see the next Mario Kart going in.

One is a total overhaul of the item system. The item system has always been "you get items and you use them in the order you get them" but imagine if there were 2 types of items that could be used independently. One type could be traditional one-and-done offensive items (shells, bombs, etc) and the other could be passive powerups that serve defensive or support purposes. There would be 2 different types of item boxes, the normal rainbow type for items and some other color or the powerup ones would be some sort of ? block that can only be opened by using an item at them. That could add a lot of risk-reward depth to the racing (do I spend this shell to get a powerup or do I use it to attack an enemy? Am I happy with my current powerup or do I want to try getting something better?) and would feel distinctly different from the previous entries.

Another is even more track variety. Tour and the Booster Pack have started doing this with the variants and alternate laps but imagine taking that idea even further with weather, time of day, and other event variants for courses. Bowser's castle gets a lava rain variant that forces you to weave around different pools of lava each time, Mario Circuit in the rain is slippery so you have to drive carefully, Toad Turnpike during the day gets a different set of vehicles to weave around, Waluigi Pinball gets a multiball variant where there are pinballs everywhere, etc.

And of course there's always the possibility of a single player adventure or mission mode

Aug 12, 2019
My big hope is DK gets a nice blowout pack that comes with Diddy Kong and Funky Kong back, but also brings in Dixie Kong from Tour and DK Jr. back in properly. Way too much of a dream and I'll suspect we'll just get Diddy (Or damn it we better get him or I'll be even more upset), but it'd be sooooo good.

I could live with Diddy, Petey, and Birdo as our only additions if we only get one per pack. I'd prefer Pauline, but I could definitely see her saved as a newcomer for the next full Mario Kart.

And I'm still not sure if Tour's characters fall into the "retro characters" that initial advertisement discussed.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Back in Wave 2 they were doing some experimenting with having Tanooki Mario, Metal Mario, Cat Peach and Pink Gold Peach under Mario/Peach as alts. Basically they stripped all their rivals away for GP Mode and any character with them as rivals had them also removed. It was only those 4

This was reverted in Wave 3

Seems to possibly imply those four as getting put under their "parent" character's slot to make room for 4 more slots without needing to modify the character select screen size. Although it's not confirmed at all and that could have been a scrapped idea and maybe Birdo just gets plopped onto the side or something

Note that the Wii U version actually had alts with different stats, or... a singular alt. Female Villager was an alt in the Wii U version, but had different animations and different stats than male Villager. So there's precedent for it, at least, although Metal Mario having his own alt and being mostly his own character for so long only to get shoved into Mario's slot would kinda feel bad to me lol

My big hope is DK gets a nice blowout pack that comes with Diddy Kong and Funky Kong back, but also brings in Dixie Kong from Tour and DK Jr. back in properly. Way too much of a dream and I'll suspect we'll just get Diddy (Or damn it we better get him or I'll be even more upset), but it'd be sooooo good.

I could live with Diddy, Petey, and Birdo as our only additions if we only get one per pack. I'd prefer Pauline, but I could definitely see her saved as a newcomer for the next full Mario Kart.

And I'm still not sure if Tour's characters fall into the "retro characters" that initial advertisement discussed.
Funky has a very good chance tbh. Not only is he really popular but him and DK Jr are the only two vets that are in Tour and are not Double Dash/Tour newcomers. So unless they want to load up the characters with only Double Dash and Tour newcomers, he's probably getting in just for variety's sake... and just being DK in a shirt and sunglasses isn't going to hurt his chances either

The DLC has also been extremely Wii heavy so far

Last edited:

Ferrera

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2022
A new course! This is awesome. At the end of this roadmap the game will be ridiculous big.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia

I just want all the great things from Tour brought over.
Costumes, reverse/trick courses, challenge modes like DS's mission mode etc.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
More characters is awesome to see.

From Tour we'll need to see:

-Kamek
-Petey Piranha
-Chargin Chuck
-Diddy Kong
-Dixie Kong
-Funky Kong
-Pauline
-King Bob-omb
-Nabbit

And probably a few more that I'm blanking on
It's pretty telling that they know what characters people actually want when you look at Tour's roster. The only one I would need after these is E.Gadd (alongside Gooigi if possible) and maybe Captain Toad. Any other character would just be a random Bowser Army grunt, since I don't see them ever adding Wario/RPG characters.

I just want all the great things from Tour brought over.
Costumes, reverse/trick courses, challenge modes like DS's mission mode etc.
I agree that they should bring back challenge missions/courses, on top of unlockable costumes.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe looks big, but in terms of singleplayer goals/progression the base game is even worse than the WiiU original since it removed the achievements list, and the only unlockables are now car parts. The only things you can do by yourself are beating the cups and playing against the CPU in battle mode, and even then playing any cups under 150cc is discouraged since those scores will get overwritten. There's the staff ghosts as well, but again, no real rewards for ever playing that mode.

At least on the Wii you got the driver's license encouraging you to fill all boxes while you kept working on unlocking all characters.
my_mario_kart_wii_license__by_iilerpmuffinii-d6gd8gc.jpg

Last edited:

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Booster Course Pass continues to cement 8's legacy as the peak of the series. God help the team working on 9, they've got their work cut out for them

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
It's pretty telling that they know what characters people actually want when you look at Tour's roster. The only one I would need after these is E.Gadd (alongside Gooigi if possible) and maybe Captain Toad. Any other character would just be a random Bowser Army grunt, since I don't see them ever adding Wario/RPG characters.
FYI Captain Toad is in Tour too.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The next Mario Kart and Smash almost have to either go back to basics, or in another direction entirely after how stacked they are on switch
For real. I like the idea of Nintendo Kart for MK, but Smash feels like an even tougher nut to crack. Wouldn't mind some big swings though, assuming Switch 2 is backward compatible

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm not sold on the idea of a Nintendo Kart. I feel there are still plenty of characters to pull from Mario games and side series like DKC, Yoshi, and Wario.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Nintendo has stepped way back from "Nintendo Kart" in recent years, going as far to to avoid all references in Tour, including silly stuff like striping all AC Leaves from the Streetle and leaving the Blue Falcon to rot in the files for an eternity. Not even the Wuhu courses seem to be safe, as they're the only non-8 retro courses from 7 not in Tour

The only crossover thing in Tour are Miis, but they're piled high with Mario themed costumes

Kinda a weird thing to decide to avoid now lol. We've had crossover stuff in every game since DS…

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
For real. I like the idea of Nintendo Kart for MK, but Smash feels like an even tougher nut to crack. Wouldn't mind some big swings though, assuming Switch 2 is backward compatible
I can't see Smash changing too much, as there's not a whole lot you can do to the 2D platform fighter format that either hasn't been done by others or would result in pissing off longtime fans.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I can't see Smash changing too much, as there's not a whole lot you can do to the 2D platform fighter format that either hasn't been done by others or would result in pissing off longtime fans.
Yeah, you're not wrong. Will be interesting to see the messaging on the next one then, because I doubt all those characters are carrying over.

Suppose I'd be okay with a reduced roster if they came out swinging with an overhauled online experience. So much more they could be doing in that space, maybe Ultimate's biggest shortcoming feature-wise

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Someone on reddit made a mockup that lines up exactly with my predictions, even my thinking that the cleanest way to do this is to add another column of 6, rather than a new row of 7 or mess with alt character placement, which are other ideas floating around
5a4sd6jx8eha1.jpg

1 in Wave 4, 2 in Wave 5 and 3 in Wave 6 to finish it out with a bang

This would be an amazing Mario Kart roster, pretty much the best in the series. Just missing a Paratroopa alt for Koopa, then it'd be nearly 100% of every console Mario Kart character, just missing DK Jr

Petey just chilling with the guest characters

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
I need a Mario Kart Ultimate game that has absolutely everything but it'll never happen 😫
In my wildest dreams, the new switch releases with a new(10? Mario Kart X?) Mario Kart borrowing the EVERYONE (and everywhere) IS HERE from Smash Bros Ultimate and also a story mode lmao

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Shame the course doesn't go up to Raphael the Raven's moon
I like reading your analyses. Did you post one examining the layout of this course and all of its features that can be gleaned from the footage so far?

Also, side note, I'm in gaming nirvana between Metroid Prime and Minish Cap, with sweet dreams at night of Yoshi's Island/Birdo in Mario Kart, and also Oatchi in Pikmin 4.

We eatin' good, Nintendo fam.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
In my wildest dreams, the new switch releases with a new(10? Mario Kart X?) Mario Kart borrowing the EVERYONE (and everywhere) IS HERE from Smash Bros Ultimate and also a story mode lmao
Damn, that would be my dream Mario Kart game.

I've been waiting for a good single player mode since Mario Kart DS introduced the Mission Mode.
If a new Mario Kart could expand of that concept (make it way bigger and maybe add co-op) it would be everything I want from a new Mario Kart.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Captain Toad is also in Tour.

EeBLQhEUMAA_vv1.jpg

Pauline and Petey in Wave 5, and Diddy and Dixie and Funky for Wave 6
What about Kamek?