• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
According to Reddit, this on the Japanese website says "Wave 5 will add more characters from past Mario Kart games" or something to that effect
abfscx2ue3ha1.jpg

I cannot read Japanese, I'm just going by reddit. It could be alllll wrong and say nothing like that lol

Looks like future waves will have more character(s), plural

On an aside I always get a laugh out of Nintendo when they use freaking GCN era renders for PR lol. To this day, still using renders of characters from like 20 years ago. Birdo has new art since! Use it! Unless using Double Dash art was intentional

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
According to Reddit, this on the Japanese website says "Wave 5 will add more characters from past Mario Kart games" or something to that effect
abfscx2ue3ha1.jpg

I cannot read Japanese, I'm just going by reddit. It could be alllll wrong and say nothing like that lol

On an aside I always get a laugh out of Nintendo when they use freaking GCN era renders for PR lol. To this day, still using renders of characters from like 20 years ago. Birdo has new art since! Use it! Unless using Double Dash art was intentional
I guess Birdo is the only one for Wave 4, but 5 will get a ton of characters.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
abfscx2ue3ha1.jpg

DIDDY KONG TO COINCIDE WITH A NEW DK YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
Happy to have Birdo back, gives me hope they'll add even more.

As some wishful thinking though, I'd love if the reason they only presented this course means that more characters come with more track announcements for wave 4. I'd love even more veteran characters back sooner. Gimme Lakitu and Diddy!

Edit: Love to have total sleepyhead brain today. Meant Wiggler, not Lakitu lol.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Happy to have Birdo back, gives me hope they'll add even more.

As some wishful thinking though, I'd love if the reason they only presented this course means that more characters come with more track announcements for wave 4. I'd love even more veteran characters back sooner. Gimme Lakitu and Diddy!

Lakitu is in 8 lol

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
So they actually CAN add characters huh? Wonder why they don't shower us with all the good Tour character stuff then.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
English PR out, confirming future waves will also have retro characters in English, so the translation from the Japanese website was accurate
w3pm3mqrj3ha1.jpg

www.nintendo.com

Metroid Prime Remastered rolled out in latest Nintendo Direct, available now for Nintendo Switch - News - Nintendo Official Site

In a new Nintendo Direct video presentation transmitted to terminals across the planet today, Metroid Primeā„¢ Remastered, an HD remaster of the first Metroid Prime game, which originally debuted on the Nintendo GameCube system, was announced for the ā€¦

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
Happy to see them adding more characters. I know Kirby ain't happening in this game but hopefully there's a chance in the next MK game. Would love to see Diddy and Dixie Kong added though. Also would be cool if they added new items but that's probably asking for too much at this point. The DLC really needed some characters added as well as the tracks, so I'm glad they listened and are adding characters too.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now the debate begins over whether returning characters means only characters from the console Mario Karts (DK Jr., Diddy, Paratroopa, Petey, ROB, Funky Kong, Honey Queen, Wiggler, and Lakitu) or if that includes Tour (Pauline, Nabbit, Captain Toad, Fire/Boomerang/Ice Bros, Monty Mole, Peachette, Dixie, King Bob'omb, Kamek, Meowser, Chargin Chuck) or if that means all Mario Karts including the Arcade games (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Blinky, Mametechi, Don-chan)

I'm in the middle, I don't see them not including Pauline and I definitely don't see them including Pac-Man as a racer.

Last edited:

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Gimme some new karts too, c'mon!

Now the debate begins over whether returning characters means only characters from the console Mario Karts or if that includes Tour or if that means all Mario Karts including the Arcade games

I'm in the middle, I don't see them not including Pauline and I definitely don't see them including Pac-Man as a racer.
I think the absolute shoe ins at this point are Petey and Pauline. Petey is getting his own home course and Pauline is a rising star in Mario. The Petey situation is so weird to me because a week ago I'd be "ehhh... Diddy first" but then the big man gets his own course which has a giant temple in his honor and he just seems guaranteed now

If they go beyond 1 per wave (they probably will), then Diddy is also nearly a shoe in. Funky and Kamek would be next in line I think, and then after that it's uhh... Hammer Bro probably? Hammer Bro has the benefit of coming with 3 other Bros as alts, making him basically 4 characters in 1. I know DK Jr in Tour is a very popular addition but the sprite thing seems like it'd be awkward on a bike and holding items, which aren't in Tour, but are in 8. Chargin Chuck, Monty Mole, King Bob-Omb, Nabbit, Dr Mario, Captain Toad, etc, could get in, but I feel like they're in the back of the queue

We'll have to see if the Mii costume for next Tour actually is Paratroopa and if he returns with it. I'd actually put him pretty high up too just because of how painfully easy he is to implement (dude could just be a Koopa alt if they wanted lol) but only if he got into Tour first

Tour is labeled as a retro course in DX and these character models and most of their animations are right from Tour so I'm not even humoring the idea retro characters means no Tour characters lol

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Now the debate begins over whether returning characters means only characters from the console Mario Karts or if that includes Tour or if that means all Mario Karts including the Arcade games

Tour is considered a past game in MK8D, so I think it counts.

FLPjizBVIAQBgUW

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Just to hammer in that Petey is absolutely being added lol

piranha-plant-cove-looks-so-amazing-v0-2iembxs3o1ga1.jpg

The latest course added to Tour is literally built around a giant temple dedicated to Petey with Petey statues all over and a massive engraving of his fat head at the top of the pyramid. This course is 100% getting into 8DX, with him and his fat head included

He's also treated like a KING in Tour, with excellent course coverage and an amazing item

Whoever they got making new Mario Kart content over there absolutely loves Petey

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh they gotta be saving Diddy and the other Kongs for a later update.

They just gotta.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Glad Birdy is in. Mario Kart 8's roster felt wrong without Birdo and Diddy, so hopefully Diddy is one of the next characters.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've held off on the DLC (and MK8 Switch) but a new Yoshi Island course and Birdo is tempting

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, it was datamined within Tour.

Yep. It'll likely be a Sky High Sundae situation with them coming to 8 and Tour around the same time.
Ah, cool. I hope we get at least 2 characters per wave from here on out.

The latest course added to Tour is literally built around a giant temple dedicated to Petey with Petey statues all over and a massive engraving of his fat head at the top of the pyramid. This course is 100% getting into 8DX, with him and his fat head included

He's also treated like a KING in Tour, with excellent course coverage and an amazing item

Whoever they got making new Mario Kart content over there absolutely loves Petey
Let's fucking go!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember when folks called Petey Pirahna the Scrappy of Mario? It was vogue during the late 00s.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
So excited for new characters getting added, I was afraid it wasn't going to happen, show me Diddy Kong!

And that Yoshi's Island stage looks sick as hell, I have been on a Yoshi's Island nostalgia bender this past week so this was a fun surprise.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
abfscx2ue3ha1.jpg

Considering this was just a tease, I wouldn't even be surprised to see another one or two besides birdo in Wave 4. Unless they specifically say they're the only one.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Love everything about this.

I have no idea what they could possibly do with MK9 after what MK8 Deluxe will be after all is said and done.

That was a lie. It's Super Smash Kart.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

don't give me hopeā€¦ he's my most wanted of the tour additions

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they eventually release this as an Ultimate Everything Edition on the Switch successor. I'd really like to have all of it on one kart/disc whatever is next with improved image quality.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Question - I only play MK8 online as I don't find it enjoyable single player. If I play online will the new maps have a chance of showing up if I don't own the DLC?

RippleField

Nov 13, 2017
Is this the first entirely new course of the DLC? Alright this will probably tip me over to going in on it finally. Love the musical rendition, and tastefully stylized visuals to invoke YI's unique charm.

And wait has Birdo ever existed with alternate colors? Kinda weird, seems like they really are establishing her as the fem counterpart to Yoshi for some reason.