Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Given those same oligarchs have pumped a lot of cash the Tories' way and have close personal ties with a lot of senior figures, I get the impression that might be bluster on 'our' part, but I could be wrong.

Plus, having one of the parties walk out of a diplomatic presser has to be one of the worst possible outcomes for a negotiation, even one where both sides are playing hardball. Like, he didn't even grit his teeth and plough through, you know?

We haven't actually got the details down yet, working on it as they say, hopefully it's not bluster. It's not just oligarchs that influence, it's what stems from them, bankers, property tycoons, media, politicians, they are all inherently linked and when you promise to screw oligarchs, it's takes all of them down too which is why I have little faith in them being as strong as they say. Johnson put billionaire KGBs son in the Lords who owns a paper now, that's wild.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Given those same oligarchs have pumped a lot of cash the Tories' way and have close personal ties with a lot of senior figures, I get the impression that might be bluster on 'our' part, but I could be wrong.

Plus, having one of the parties walk out of a diplomatic presser has to be one of the worst possible outcomes for a negotiation, even one where both sides are playing hardball. Like, he didn't even grit his teeth and plough through, you know?

Well I hope it's not bluster, but I guess we will see (like Nordstream!)

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We haven't actually got the details down yet, working on it as they say, hopefully it's not bluster. It's not just oligarchs that influence, it's what stems from them, bankers, property tycoons, media, politicians, they are all inherently linked and when you promise to screw oligarchs, it's takes all of them down too which is why I have little faith in them being as strong as they say. Johnson put billionaire KGBs son in the Lords who owns a paper now, that's wild.

Yeah, that's my concern too. I don't think they can do it and I imagine Putin and his cronies know that. Embedding themselves with the Tories, London finance, etc. was a very shrewd move.

Well I hope it's not bluster, but I guess we will see (like Nordstream!)

Yeah, me too. Scholz didn't seem particularly enthusiastic 😄

Money is important but just like Germany's Nord Stream 2 problem, if Russia really crosses a line that threatens overall European stability, you are going to have a lot of pressure to do the correct response (funny saying that...).

Sorry, missed this initially.

That's true, but that money runs the country. I don't see how the Tories can enact sanctions on London oligarchs without gutting domestic financial stability. That'd hit us hard, especially now. The Tories aren't exactly altruistic, either.

Last edited:

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
The anti-fascism narrative is always hilarious, Kremlin literally hosted parties for US and EU Nazis and tried to hook them up with Russian girls
Anti fascism accusations also play well with people in russia as its historically important for people there

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it is articles like this that show Russia is basically screwing with everyone who isn't US/NATO:

www.reuters.com

Russia says security talks will fail if EU gives collective response to proposals

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Thursday said a collective response from the European Union to Russian security proposals would lead to a breakdown in talks, but insisted Moscow was in favour of diplomacy to ease tensions over Ukraine.

Glad Macron tried and all, but it was pretty easy to see where it was going.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty clear they don't like the EU, they've been pouring money in to break it up or push it so far right and no doubt they did with Brexit if the Tories actually looked, Le Pen in France etc. and also couriering favour with politicians and Russian business in oil and gas.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
So apparantly Putin is seating his guests at the opposite end of this hilariously long table because he's scared shitless of Corona. That's why everyone has to keep their distance from him now and go into week-long quarantines before getting an audience.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
So apparantly Putin is seating his guests at the opposite end of this hilariously long table because he's scared shitless of Corona. That's why everyone has to keep their distance from him now and go into week-long quarantines before getting an audience.
There are also rumors about his health, that he has had organ transplants or other surgery that compromised his immune system. He might not even be vaccinated as that might be too much for his immune system to handle.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Good thread on why this crisis is ultimately about the EU not NATO:

What scares Russia's Political Elite? Some hypothetically scenario of American Hypersonic Missles in Ukraine or the EU Carbon Border Adjustment?

That was interesting. It's understandable that they go after NATO instead though since admitting to being threatened by the EU means admitting that they are threatened by democracy, rule of law, free trade etc. It is a bad look for Putin since he pretends that Russia is a democracy.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
That was interesting. It's understandable that they go after NATO instead though since admitting to being threatened by the EU means admitting that they are threatened by democracy, rule of law, free trade etc. It is a bad look for Putin since he pretends that Russia is a democracy.
It also has the side effect of certain people going to bat for Russia and saying NATO should deescalate some of them prominent members of legislatures which has the impact of weakening NATO at the same time so Putin gets to weaken EU and NATO both.

Dec 4, 2017

What scares Russia's Political Elite? Some hypothetically scenario of American Hypersonic Missles in Ukraine or the EU Carbon Border Adjustment?

Unsurprising. Putin's neo-feudal vasalist vertically-integrated rent-seeking system is completely incompatible with the EU's rules.
And he has no direct response. Against NATO, he can just point a nuke at them and tell them to stay in their seats. Against the EU, he has to crumble it from within.

And no, the EU is not a back door to NATO. If anything, the NATO is a back door to the EU, which is much, much harder to join.
Very true. In the early-mid-'00s, there were several countries that had already joined NATO, but were still waiting to join the EU.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

The original invasion of Ukraine was a result of a popular movement in the nation that sought to have them join the EU. So, yeah.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
The anti-fascism narrative is always hilarious, Kremlin literally hosted parties for US and EU Nazis and tried to hook them up with Russian girls

There is also a Russian far right extremist organization "Russian Imperial Movement" that is known to foster connections with European far right groups, and even arrange paramilitary training camps that have been attended by German, Polish and Finnish neo-nazis on Russian soil, attendees of which have ended up fighting in ranks of pro-Russian forces in Ukraine. There is no way it is able to operate without Russian authorities consciously looking the other way.

Maquiladora

Nov 16, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

Biden warns Americans in Ukraine to leave, says sending troops to evacuate would be 'world war'

President Joe Biden sat down for a wide-ranging interview with NBC News, discussing Russia and Ukraine, mask mandates and his Supreme Court nomination process.

Holt asked Biden what scenario could prompt him to send troops to rescue Americans fleeing the country. Biden replied: "There's not. That's a world war when Americans and Russia start shooting at one another."

"We're in a very different world than we've ever been," he added.

ajoshi

Sep 11, 2021

Head of Russian foreign intelligence... they're taking the piss. It's WMDs but somehow even dumber.

stonemask

Nov 4, 2017

Russia is losing its sphere of influence over eastern europe faster than they can wipe their ass hence the stronghold on belarus and now Ukraine is next.

Putin is from the old soviet era and he wants to reunite all the countries under his fold like we want butter on our toast.

I dont know how the younger russian generations feel about that though.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or are they flailing more than usual?
This reads like total conspiracy theory.
Russia loves conspiracy theories. They're the country that tries to say, with a straight face, that someone can shoot themselves and then fall through a window and it's just a suicide with nothing to see. They don't care whether reasonable people will believe them. Those who are nationalists within the country will believe whatever slop is slung their way and there are enough useful idiots in the West to give Russia a bit of a pass on their BS.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
No it's a pretty basic national security policy that top level diplomats are only treated by their nation's doctors when traveling abroad.
no, I get that Macron wouldn't want to go beyond "here's my test that pretty much everyone in the sane world would acecpt".
It's the "he fears letting Russians getting his DNA!!!!1!!!1One1!!"
Sometimes I wonder if scifi flicks didn't brain damage people to make it seem like that could be a reasonable concern.
Russia loves conspiracy theories. They're the country that tries to say, with a straight face, that someone can shoot themselves and then fall through a window and it's just a suicide with nothing to see. They don't care whether reasonable people will believe them. Those who are nationalists within the country will believe whatever slop is slung their way and there are enough useful idiots in the West to give Russia a bit of a pass on their BS.
So basically same MO than the peak USSR except that this time, it's not communist parties that are carrying water for them but nationalists.
Still super funny to me that nationalists are the 1st ones to sell out their countries interests, we knew that was true in the mid XXth century but for this to be even truer now is baffling.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Video by Adam Something about the history of the Ukrainian - Russian war:

God, I wish people would stop using the 2000s election maps to highlights their point about "divided severely divided Ukraine". Yeah, it makes cool thumbnails, but it distorts SO MUCH.

How about the 1999 presidential runoff map where the incumbent beat the Communist, winning both the West AND Donbas by a landslide?

Or some of the post-Revolution elections? Or, (better yet) the aggregate pro-russian/pro-west voting (since the pro-west niche has always been more fractured, while Russia tended to back one monolithic party, the pro-Russians are always listed as dominant in the South and East, even if it's less than the majority) ?

Not to mention local/municipal elections, where almost every region's oligarch has their own party they push into power.

Literally every time they do this, they play into Russian narrative about "Novorossiya" being a separate thing. Even though both Poroshenko and Zelensky pretty much swept all regions in the 2014 and 2019's elections.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Ha. See post above.

Unfortunately, as expected, but regime change as the goal is.....crazy. This is going to be beyond brutal if so.

Also related, EU is pulling out non-essential staff as is Israel. Now we are going to see what the populace does as this story spreads over the coming days.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This is going to be tough as well; while the world has seen images from some of the US campaigns from drone strikes and other fighting before, this is going to be multiple tiers worse from a modern warfare perspective. Taking about full on Army clashes, fighting in cities, Russian Artillery leveling areas, etc... with a lot being caught on social media platforms.

Going to be a bombardment of NSFW/NSFL stories coming soon.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
Am I over reacting if I feel physically ill? I just feel sick thinking about it.

I hope to god it doesn't actually happen.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
I still really don't believe the incursion will have the objective of seizing/occupying Kyiv.

It'll be focused on the complete and total Russian military occupation of the eastern provinces, but significant forces will be kept in their staging areas to keep the pressure on the Ukrainian government with the threat of an advance to Kyiv.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017

Putin has better reasons to hate the EU. Successful democratic states around Russia make him look bad. He also does not like the fact that the small European nations negotiate as one single large entity which gives them lot more leverage in all negotiations with Russia. Even today Russian leadership is supposedly annoyed because EU countries responded to their letters with a single letter from the EU.

Ukrainian citizens enjoying the liberties and rights of EU citizens would further undermine Putin's corrupt government, and prevent him from establishing his pipedream New Russia. Like China, Putin has imperial ambitions, and that only leads to bloodshed.

Status
Not open for further replies.