• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Just as poor as it's PS4 performance. Perhaps SE should bite the bullet and go mobile next time.

While I don't agree that this Switch debut is some huge bomb I don't think PS4 comparison really works either. Playstation owners bought the game already back on PS3 and Vita. Because of that it was always going to sell little on PS4 only 1.5 years later with no big changes. This is first time Nintendo owners have chance play the game so theoretically there should be bigger base to buy it and I think it certainly could have sold more than this.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
While I don't agree that this Switch debut is some huge bomb I don't think PS4 comparison really works either. Playstation owners bought the game already back on PS3 and Vita. Because of that it was always going to sell little on PS4 only 1.5 years later with no big changes. This is first time Nintendo owners have chance play the game so theoretically there should be bigger base to buy it and I think it certainly could have sold more than this.
I don't think there's really as strict a delineation between the PlayStation and Nintendo audiences as you're implying here, at least not for these sorts of more core oriented titles. And a good chunk of the Vita audience already moved to Switch now given the software it's getting in Japan, this isn't exactly their first crack at handheld FFX. Plus this is a 6 year old remaster, why *really* should it sell more now than it did 4 years ago?

Oct 25, 2017
Your words don't match your meaning.

LABO sets now not selling as well as they did with the first kit =\= Brand is now toxic. If you're saying this in the face of objectively positive performance compared to the previous kit, your point gets muddled.
Variety kit did 90k.
This did better than the worst selling kit but not as well as Robot Kit. None of which performed particularly well.

If Labo VR was the first or a different brand, it likely would've sold a lot more right out the gate.

It's not a huge deal and it might be able to get passed it in the long run, but I felt it was worth noting

Nekki

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Overall an ok week, it's hard nowadays to create a success story in Japan gaming community huh?

I think Labo will do good, as well as EDF but they keep falling behind previous entries.

Wasn't expecting switch HW bump, and PS4 drop is expected.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
HappygoluckyOddballFruitbat-size_restricted.gif
I don't know the meaning behind this, but I find it hilarious. 😂

The Switch has a been a huge success. It amazes me how much Nintendo turned things around.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019

The brand loyalty you are describing here is not something many people hang on.

syth

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to the "Switch has outsold the ps4 in Japan" thread, followed by the subsequent " wow i didnt know the ps4 sold so poorly in Japan" replies

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's really as strict a delineation between the PlayStation and Nintendo audiences as you're implying here, at least not for these sorts of more core oriented titles. And a good chunk of the Vita audience already moved to Switch now given the software it's getting in Japan, this isn't exactly their first crack at handheld FFX. Plus this is a 6 year old remaster, why *really* should it sell more now than it did 4 years ago?

I mean surely as we have seen with fast Switch adoption it has already attracted people to the platform that have not touched PS hardware since PS2 (well maybe PSP). I mean sure there is probably also a lot of overlap but there should be also already plenty of people on Switch that didn't own Vita or PS3.

The brand loyalty you are describing here is not something many people hang on.

It's not so much about brand loyalty but different kind of games driving different persons to different platforms. Someone that buys consoles mainly for Nintendo games might have not played mainline FF game in decades outside of some remakes.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Likelihood of a FF fan being interested in X and X-2 and not owning any of the systems it was avaiable before Switch is rather low.

Also these games were somewhat special releases on those systems with some kind of push and room to breathe. Meanwhile SE is releasing like a dozen of FF titles on Switch on the span of a couple weeks - they are looking at the overall volume numbers and not neccesary how a single title is performing.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I mean surely as we have seen with fast Switch adoption it has already attracted people to the platform that have not touched PS hardware since PS2 (well maybe PSP). I mean sure there is probably also a lot of overlap but there should be also already plenty of people on Switch that didn't own Vita or PS3.
Sure, Switch is attracting a wider audience than the last several PlayStations. But why would that wider audience be uniquely more interested in the 5/6th release of a 6 year old remaster than the core audience who already bought it, possibly several times already? That Switch even matched sales of the 4 year old PS4 release is probably a result of it's wider reach as is and impressive on it's own, not many years late ports are doing that exactly.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you're a Switch owner who hasn't owned a Playstation platform in the last 2 decades you likely don't have any attachment to Final Fantasy and if you're interested in the series there are also many other options on the platform that have just released or are releasing soon.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Likelihood of a FF fan being interested in X and X-2 and not owning any of the systems it was avaiable before Switch is rather low.

Also these games were somewhat special releases on those systems with some kind of push and room to breathe. Meanwhile SE is releasing like a dozen of FF titles on Switch on the span of a couple weeks - they are looking at the overall volume numbers and not neccesary how a single title is performing.
They should be very happy then since every one of them is making it into the top 10(US) everytime

Dec 11, 2017
I'm looking forward to Nintendo announcing that Nintendo Switch sold another 3.3 million units in the last quarter, bringing the 2018 fiscal year up to 17.8 million and the lifetime sales after just 2 years and 4 weeks, to 36.5 million.

Definitely impressive and hopefully come April 1st, 2020, we'll be looking at a lifetime total of 57 million.

Also, I would rather Nintendo put out the Nintendo Switch Mini between this June and November...and wait till September-November, 2020 for the Nintendo Switch Plus.

Give more time for parts to become cheaper, so the improvements are more significant in the more powerful system, simultaneously taking away some of the draw that will probably be PlayStation 5 and Xbox 5, debuting around Holiday, 2020.

That'd be my plan for Nintendo.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder how SE is gonna handle this tho, putting a ton of final fantasies on the switch and all of them are selling great. It would inspire someone to think an original final fantasy would eventually come to the system. A ton of HD remasters from capcom are also selling great like onimusha, is capcom is just gonna ignore that if they decide to put out a new one?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder how SE is gonna handle this tho, putting a ton of final fantasies on the switch and all of them are selling great. It would inspire someone to think an original final fantasy would eventually come to the system. A ton of HD remasters from capcom are also selling great like onimusha, is capcom is just gonna ignore that if they decide to put out a new one?

Yep, they definitely will ignore the system. It's not even a real question.

The next FF is probably a PS5 game.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing original but more ports for sure. VIII mobile, XIII Collection, XIV port or Cloud, XV Plus exclusive, etc.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
original as in numbered?

no, nope.

Spinoffs like WoFF, Tactics, or Explorers type games definitely.
They wouldn't be exclusive though unless Nintendo was paying for something.
I do wonder how 7 is doing on the eshop. It's been up there for a bit.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017

If you ignore the fact that Nintendo gamers do own other platforms.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yea they dont necessarily have to be numbered but something like code Veronica where it's a full basically mainline game but is marketed as a spinoff

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
If World of FF 2 is a thing maybe, otherwise there probably won't be anything original.
Saying they will ignore the system couldnt be more wrong though.
Past portables already received FF spin-offs - Octopath performance has shown SE what could be possible with a throwback title on a modern console.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Bravely and Octopath are basically the "original" Final Fantasies for Nintendo now. Well, Octopath's more SaGa but close enough.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Given the fact that the Switch almost sold 1M units this quarter in Japan only, do you think it could have sold the elusive 5M worldwide it needed to reach that infamous 20M FY prediction? I know it's a very old discussion by now but I was still wondering what the rest of ERA thinks of it.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bravely and Octopath are basically the "original" Final Fantasies for Nintendo now. Well, Octopath's more SaGa but close enough.

Yup Bravely was the follow up to 4 Heroes of Light after all.

Importantly Asano said he's not interested in making Final Fantasy (branded) games again.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Given the fact that the Switch almost sold 1M units this quarter in Japan only, do you think it could have sold the elusive 5M worldwide it needed to reach that infamous 20M FY prediction? I know it's a very old discussion by now but I was still wondering what the rest of ERA thinks of it.
No but it'll come closer to 20m than their 17m target.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
May I ask what's your take on the so-called MIni rumoured revision? I can't see Nintendo going the 2DS way despite rumours pointing to that, I think a DS Lite style revision is more possible at this time. The 2DS did not even release in Japan, they basically released cause sales were poor elsewhere.
2DS released in Japan.

plusaflag

User requested ban
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
No but it'll come closer to 20m than their 17m target.
I used to think before the end of last year that they could reach potentially 18.5M but now with some data at hand, I wonder if they could not simply reach their initial targets.

NPD tomorrow will be really interesting (sorry, I know it's a JP sales thread).

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I look forward to the "Switch has outsold the ps4 in Japan" thread, followed by the subsequent " wow i didnt know the ps4 sold so poorly in Japan" replies

Don't forget "duh, it was always going to happen because portable".

By the way, fair to say that for the quarter this is a very strong week for Switch, LABO did move some hardware.

RmE6dEZ.png

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland

I kinda doubt there will be a new FF game before 2025.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I think they're looking at it like a single release because it's been very cheap for them to develop these titles and they will probably sell more than a million combined over the span of a couple of months.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
If you ignore the fact that Nintendo gamers do own other platforms.
My biased view is that a sizeable part of Nintendo gamers may be more attracted to older FF episodes (let's say FFI-IX) and less to the recent ones (FFVIII,FFX-XV).
At least that's how I feel.
Even SquareEnix recognized this soft spot for "old style" RPGs on Nintendo consoles, just think about games like Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light, Bravely Default, Octopath Travelers and also all the Dragon Quest games.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
My biased view is that a sizeable part of Nintendo gamers may be more attracted to older FF episodes (let's say FFI-IX) and less to the recent ones (FFVIII,FFX-XV).
At least that's how I feel.
Even SquareEnix recognized this soft spot for "old style" RPGs on Nintendo consoles, just think about games like Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light, Bravely Default, Octopath Travelers and also all the Dragon Quest games.
Not the best argument since SE refused to bring these newer FF games to Nintendo consoles to begin - doubt classics like FF7 would have had issues selling on prior popular Nintendo systems.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Not the best argument since SE refused to bring these newer FF games to Nintendo consoles to begin - doubt classics like FF7 would have had issues selling on prior popular Nintendo systems.
These conversions of old Final Fantasy episodes for PC and later consoles/smartphones (port from the PC conversion) began around 2012 / 2013.
The first popular Nintendo system capable to run them and that have a strong digital distribution platform (which is required because some of them are digital only) is the Switch.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
These conversions of old Final Fantasy episodes for PC and later consoles/smartphones (port from the PC conversion) began around 2012 / 2013.
The first popular Nintendo system capable to run them and that have a strong digital distribution platform (which is required because some of them are digital only) is the Switch.
In any case the only Final Fantasy port 3DS would be able to run is FFVII.
___

Japanese Smash version 3.0 video has already 1m views, reception was very good.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You wrote that the Nintendo audience would be more attracted to classic FF titles .....and I'm saying that's difficult to prove when that's all they have been getting prior to the Switch.

Technical reasons why SE didn't bother with porting the games to Nintendo platforms weren't part of your initial argument.

It's like saying PlayStation owners weren't attracted to Dragon Quest during the DS generation because most games wer exclusive to that platform.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
So the new Nikkei article is saying the Mini revision is coming in Fall.

It is probably going to release around Animal Crossing then.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only reason SE released those ports is that they are cheap as fuck. The directory name of FFX on Switch is PS3_DATA.

He isnt talking about the next mainline game.
They arent going to ignore the system.
There hasn't been a lot of non-mainline FF games lately, and there will be even fewer in the future. I don't think Switch will get any original FF content. I don't PS4 will get any original FF content outside FF7R either.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
In any case the only Final Fantasy port 3DS would be able to run is FFVII.

I think when a company truly want to bring a game to a specific platform/format, hardware limitations won't stop it. Square Enix made a whole new version of FFXV, their flagship, cutting edge game, specifically for mobile devices because iOS/Android are a major platform for them.

a lot of Final Fantasy titles could've worked on 3DS, before or after FFVII

they just didn't want to bother with the platform at all.