Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.

Cheers!

Damn...

215./000. [NSW] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy <Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney \ Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All \ Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations> # <ADV> (Capcom) {2019.02.21} (¥3.300) - 15.340 / NEW (4.419 <49,09%>)
259./000. [PS4] Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy <Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney \ Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All \ Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations> # <ADV> (Capcom) {2019.02.21} (¥3.300) - 11.631 / NEW (3.783 <53,00%>)

Good thing western sales totally saved.... oh.

Not surprising, but still hurts a teeny bit.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Not surprising, but still hurts a teeny bit.

Does it?

The first Ace Attorney trilogy has been released everywhere over the course of the past 20 years: GBA, DS, Wii, PC, mobile, 3DS.

How many times can you sell the same games over and over? Only die-hard fans like has bought the trilogy on Switch, lol

The first entry sold around 600k units on DS alone.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does it?

The first Ace Attorney trilogy has been released everywhere over the course of the past 20 years: GBA, DS, Wii, PC, mobile, 3DS.

How many times can you sell the same games over and over? Only die-hard fans like has bought the trilogy on Switch, lol

The first entry sold around 600k units on DS alone.
The Switch version was actually my first time playing an Ace Attorney game.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The first three Phoenix Wright games have been released on, in rough order without looking it up: GBA, various non smart phones, DS, Wii, iOS at least twice, Android, 3DS, Switch, PS4.

For such a niche game series all told it is one of the most prolific in terms of platforms.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
If PS4 sells less then PS3 is that a three gen decline? Although they are close enough so would look flat.

IronTed

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2019
Ghosts continues to leg it out. Seems like it'll dethrone Knack after all.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Yeah I doubt anyone thinks SE needs to take notes or put fitness into the next FF.

I keep wondering how much longer they're going to anchor FF to AAA instead of following the rest of the industry and go mid-tier to be able to get the mainline games on Nintendo systems. At some point this isn't going to be a tenable position for them.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I keep wondering how much longer they're going to anchor FF to AAA instead of following the rest of the industry and go mid-tier to be able to get the mainline games on Nintendo systems. At some point this isn't going to be a tenable position for them.

It won't happen any time soon. FFXV was one of the best selling games in the franchise and FFVIIR is following a similar trajectory.

A few hundred thousand less sales in Japan won't change anything.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018

Hahahahaha

You're talking about a company that is so small they can't port games themselves.

Falcom reminds me of the position Nippon Ichi was in during their srpg era that Disgaea started. Yearly games selling around 100k with a small team and sales kept going down each game and they could never recover. They're still alive, but their srpg series pretty much died and every 4-5 years maybe they'll toss out a new Disgaea.

Hopefully Falcom and Trails ends up better.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
FF is one of the few series that can survive being AAA. Besides SE has midtier FF in all but name through Octopath and Bravely.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Despite how much it sucked there's no denying that FFXV did well commercially and is the future of the series.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
It won't happen any time soon. FFXV was one of the best selling games in the franchise and FFVIIR is following a similar trajectory.

A few hundred thousand less sales in Japan won't change anything.
I wonder what this all means for the brand in japan.

Square wants people to play the gacha and currently that works fine, because people are attached to the brand through the old games. Going forward the brand isn't really being fostered to pull in new people. Same thing with all the merch sales which is a big market in japan. At some point you would have to expect that these revenue streams will start to decline or at least take a hit in growth potential because they are japan/asia focused.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF7R showed a growth compared to FF15

FF16 anyways is rumoured to be exclusive by Sony so Square is happy with their partnership

I also feel ff decline was also contributed by FF 13 series quality

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

FF16 anyways is rumoured to be exclusive by Sony so Square is happy with their partnership

FF7R is a remake of the most popular game in the series and probably the most anticipated remake of all time, so I'm not sure I would say it's growth for the franchise. We need to see how the next mainline game does.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Hahahahaha

You're talking about a company that is so small they can't port games themselves.

Falcom reminds me of the position Nippon Ichi was in during their srpg era that Disgaea started. Yearly games selling around 100k with a small team and sales kept going down each game and they could never recover. They're still alive, but their srpg series pretty much died and every 4-5 years maybe they'll toss out a new Disgaea.

nippon ichi was fortunate that while their games were declining in their home country, they were just about as successful as they had always been in the west. plus, nisa got really lucky snagging danganronpa when they did.

falcom doesn't have that, but they do have asian and western partners who can sell their products and earn them money abroad. i'd say by now, the writing is on the wall for japan. they could be waiting and seeing what the ps5 will do at launch, but i wouldn't be surprised if they start making games for switch if early sales of ps5 are worse than ps4's.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
This NIS talk made me remember that Disgaea 6 was teased. Is NIS doing anything for TGS this year? Both Disagea 4 and 5 were announced at TGS IIRC.

Oct 26, 2017
Hahahahaha

What was always weird is that if they did things right, they MIGHT have flourished on Wii. Their only real Wii game was Phantom Brave. While it was an admiral effort, I don't think it had the recognition to lure an audience to Wii. Even Disgaea 1 would've been an eons better idea, or Disgaea 2 to tie in with the DS port of 1.

Their games were super low-budget, hardly really breaking from PS2 standards it felt like on PS3, so them barely doing anything on Wii was baffling. Also, by the time they did (PB was in 2009), it felt too late. A lot of JP 3rd-parties just didn't bother bringing easy, high-profile PS2(esc) games to Wii when it first launched.

Good example; Suikoden V. Hudson did that and I think it released in early 2006 on PS2. There's NO reason why a quick 480p port to Wii at launch couldn't have been done. All Konami wanted to do on Wii were those (albeit exclusive) cutesy games like Elebits and later Dewy's Adventure.

I think it's fair to say basically every dev worldwide missing the boat on Wii is an understatement. Everyone just saw the purdy graphics of PS3 and 360 and just did low-effort spin-offs on Wii, despite the system breaking every sales record in the book. Plus the very low cost of development should've also been an incentive to try. So many times we had tests and shit where smart games did super well (Resident Evil 4 anyone?) yet those were followed up by stuff no-one asked for.

I'm still frustrated to this day over that. :/

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017

Wouldn't that mean that we should expect a decline since ff15 is closer to 13 than to 7-10? At least with critics. The fanbase is also pretty split on 15

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
FF7R came out literally at the perfect moment, there were very special circumstances boosting its first weeks sales that can't tell if the decline of series in Japan has stopped.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

FFVII Remake should have done much better in Japan, in my opinion.

It could have been the chance to regain some popularity of the franchise that has been lost over the years. FFVII is one of the best-selling games in Japan ever and it has a huge legacy. I was expecting 2m for the remake at least (PS4 is perfectly capable of accommodating 2m sellers as MH showed).

Of course, the fact that it was the first entry greatly limited its appeal.

Oct 26, 2017

It could have been the chance to regain some popularity of the franchise that has been lost over the years. FFVII is one of the best-selling games in Japan ever and it has a huge legacy. I was expecting 2m for the remake at least (PS4 is perfectly capable of accommodating 2m sellers as MH showed).

Was very disappointed that a game like FFVIIR barely just beat FFXV. I hope 16 will bring back the highs of the series in Japan.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
nippon ichi was fortunate that while their games were declining in their home country, they were just about as successful as they had always been in the west. plus, nisa got really lucky snagging danganronpa when they did.

falcom doesn't have that, but they do have asian and western partners who can sell their products and earn them money abroad. i'd say by now, the writing is on the wall for japan. they could be waiting and seeing what the ps5 will do at launch, but i wouldn't be surprised if they start making games for Gamepass if early sales of ps5 are worse than ps4's.

FTFY

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FF7R is a remake of the most popular game in the series and probably the most anticipated remake of all time, so I'm not sure I would say it's growth for the franchise. We need to see how the next mainline game does.

Yes in one way it is a popular game and an anticipated remake

Hence it showed a growth compared to last 4 games declining with each entry

Wouldn't that mean that we should expect a decline since ff15 is closer to 13 than to 7-10? At least with critics. The fanbase is also pretty split on 15

The 13 trilogy and 15 quality was a massive dip imo but 15 was still better than what we got from 13trilogy which ran the series to the ground

Was very disappointed that a game like FFVIIR barely just beat FFXV. I hope 16 will bring back the highs of the series in Japan.

It did pretty much 1.1 mil in the first week which is near to the ltd of ff15 (maybe with digital ff15 will be 1.15?)

So imo I think it did great, it stopped the decline and showed a growth

Maybe a ps5 port will bring in additional sales

Also I don't understand the special circumstances for Ff7 - R, when it had stock issues in a market where physical sales still dominate along with single player games having a big used market

The stocks arrived at 3rd week I think

I'll not factor for now it releasing near to animal crossing which exploded in Japan as a factor but overall I would think it did great imo

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft on Vita/PS4 and Black Ops 4 on PS4 are SIE best selling games. For Sony developed games Ghost of Tsushima is the top seller.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LT0MJ0Y.png

Estimated Region split of first week players of trails first week via gamestat

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Media Create Sales: CY 2017 (2017 Jan 02 - 2017 Dec 31)

Top 1000

PS4 - 347
3DS - 264
PSV - 245
NSW - 52
WIU - 43
PS3 - 40
XB1 - 9
___

Media Create Sales: CY 2018 (2018 Jan 01 - 2018 Dec 30)

Top 1000

PS4 - 422
NSW - 206
3DS - 193
PSV - 155
WIU - 13
XB1 - 10
___

Media Create Sales: CY 2019 (2018 Dec 31 - 2019 Dec 29)

Top 1000

PS4 - 469
NSW - 362
3DS - 104
PSV - 60
XB1 - 5

Switch will have over 500 titles in 2020 top 1000 and with only two other systems getting support the number will keep increasing, at least until next Nintendo system launch.

Jan 2, 2018
It did pretty much 1.1 mil in the first week which is near to the ltd of ff15 (maybe with digital ff15 will be 1.15?)

So imo I think it did great, it stopped the decline and showed a growth

Let's look at Zelda, for a comparison.

No one would have said it did great in Japan, stopped the decline and showed growth if it only outsold Skyward Sword.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's look at Zelda, for a comparison.

No one would have said it did great in Japan, stopped the decline and showed growth if it only outsold Skyward Sword.

I'm pretty sure every one would had praised Zelda sales in this scenario as well

Let's see how Botw 2 does , as expectation for this game will be different than botw1

Jan 2, 2018
I'm pretty sure every one would had praised Zelda sales in this scenario as well

Let's see how Botw 2 does , as expectation for this game will be different than botw1

I really doubt it. Selling worse than almost all of the other main-line Zelda games and even their remakes isn't an achievement.

BotW2 will open way higher than BotW1, that's for sure. It will be difficult to top the sales of the original though.
But that has nothing to do with the discussion.