• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
Am I missing something? Are we expecting Japanese companies to cease using Playstation as their main platform next year?
The wrong, popular theory, is that as these games moving from Playstation only to Playstation + other consoles, the need for a Playstation is lessen. We have seen clearly though the likes of Final Fantasy/Street Fighter/Kingdom Hearts etc that Sony losing former exclusives to multiplatform has had a detrimental affect on their business and this wave with the Switch will mean its near death.

schuelma

Oct 24, 2017
The wrong, popular theory, is that as these games moving from Playstation only to Playstation + other consoles, the need for a Playstation is lessen. We have seen clearly though the likes of Final Fantasy/Street Fighter/Kingdom Hearts etc that Sony losing former exclusives to multiplatform has had a detrimental affect on their business and this wave with the Switch will mean its near death.

The problem is those huge franchises typically do not come early in the systems lifecycle.

So yes, Sony franchises including, and sometimes leading on Switch will absolutely lessen demand for PS5.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
The big Japanese that are trying to be Western Publishers will be fine. The smaller one that have chosen Sony, are the ones that are going to bet left confused.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pocky & Rocky is where it's at.
ricky and pocky was brought up as an example of "Japanese games announced this month that have skipped ps4 and just opted for switch and pc"
panzer dragoon was brought up cuz... god knows why.

Perhaps Level 5 can throw in a port of Yo-kai Academy Y.
yokai watch 4+++

Was it even released at retail in Japan?
not sure, but i doubt it.

RPGamer2

Jul 19, 2018
He's talking about the port for the other consoles and PC that's happening soon.

Perhaps Level 5 can throw in a port of Yo-kai Academy Y.
Not talking about that at all. I am talking bout the fact that despite the PS4's current marketshare in Japan (and the PS5's supposed bad outlook), games continue to be released for it. Its still viable for publishers. If it was not viable, Sega wouldn't bother with a port to those three platforms.

Jan 2, 2018
Not talking about that at all. I am talking bout the fact that despite the PS4's current marketshare in Japan (and the PS5's supposed bad outlook), games continue to be released for it. Its still viable for publishers. If it was not viable, Sega wouldn't bother with a port to those three platforms.

Sega isn't even the publisher for that game. It's Forever Entertainment.

You're arguing with a really bad example.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
It used to matter to Sony but then they lost the market. Nintendo is gonna sell over 20 million consoles there. It certainly matters quite a bit to them.
Untitled2.png

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
ricky and pocky was brought up as an example of "Japanese games announced this month that have skipped ps4 and just opted for switch and pc"
panzer dragoon was brought up cuz... god knows why.
When has a Pocky & Rocky game ever come out on Playstation at launch?
They're both bad examples you don't need to defend anything here.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised that Hong Kong has such a high share, didn't realise series' popularity there.

PlayStation is quite popular in HK

i also hear ryza 2 and DQXIS (both ps4 games) are the big launch games for PS5 in japan.

I think Spiderman and demon souls will be launch. And their won't be much Japanese third party game this year

Third party support would be needed for q4 (fy)

Tales of arise, Babylon fall and Gt 7 (lol)

It used to matter to Sony but then they lost the market. Nintendo is gonna sell over 20 million consoles there. It certainly matters quite a bit to them.
I think Japan still matters to them and pretty much no division will just sit and do nothing and see revenue declines lol

It's just this gen might had been profitable compared to last gen ( I have shared my reason in my previous post)

And they will make efforts to ensure revenue grows

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Spiderman and demon souls will be launch. And their won't be much Japanese third party game this year
i was referencing a post from a while ago. of course those two games i mentioned aren't gonna be big deals for the launch of a new system.

not defending anything. it was a valid answer to the question that was asked.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Shinobi pretty much confirmed MH Switch. I'm so happy I kept believing even after all the "Capcom is dumb" comments haha
To be honest, if you look at current Capcom support on Switch, it was really hard to believe. Even more when the same MH Next Switch rumor kept coming months after months and nothing concrete really came.
It being RE Engine makes me hope Capcom's stance on Switch changed and we'll start to see real support from them.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think Pocky & Rocky is remotely relevant but you understand you're talking about 2 SNES games and a GBA game, right?

Why wouldn't a modern game be on PS4 at launch?

lightning16

May 17, 2019
Discussions like this get frustrating because I feel like people just start arguing in bad faith. Nobody should be saying anything about whether it's "viable" for Japanese developers to develop games for Playstation 5. They will continue to do so, obviously. The question is about whether it makes sense for most Japanese developers to continue developing games exclusively for Playstation, with PS5 likely continuing the decline of the brand in Japan. The answer is no, most of these publishers should continue their current approach to making more and more of their titles multiplatform (or, available on Switch, since Japan is basically a 2 console market these days), which is already a thing happening within Japan and not likely to slow down any time soon.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
It happened way before then.
The point is the shift happened when Playstation transitioned their company's global management structure to America and when the Japanese execs at Sony decided to hand the development of the PS4 by an American team in the hopes of making a console targeted for the west following the struggles of the PS3. That's when Japan was clearly not a priority anymore.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I think I found a strange pattern:

>Sony releases a succesful console which attracts Japanese 3rd party support
"Japan is saved, we're witnessing the ressurgence of the japanese market which will endure forever"
>The previously said console fails to attract the Japanese fanbase and/or stays at the second place behind a Nintendo console
"Well, it's not like the Japanese market matter anyways, it's been on it's decadence since the PS2 days"

Seems more a mental gymnastics than a fact for me. And it's even weirder that some people in the industry believes on that.
The deals with Sony should be really good for that.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Pocky & Rocky is remotely relevant but you understand you're talking about 2 SNES games and a GBA game, right?

Why wouldn't a modern game be on PS4 at launch?

The group making Pocky & Rocky consists of 3 people, so they might not have that luxury. Wild Guns reloaded was on PS4, PC & Switch but there was over 6 months gap between each platform.

edit: oh I see what you mean by modern game now, but yeah.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't why this discussion dragged so much

I simply ask which were the several games announced on switch and pc which is missing on ps4

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Next Taiko is skipping PS4 and its basically a compilation of two 3DS games. Like Yo-kai Watch Jam it must have been too much work for a port.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There are many small, medium and bigger games from Japanese publishers that are releasing only on Switch and skip PS4.

It's not really that hard to find them, even a simple look at new releases every week can show what's happening in reality.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
why exactly would PS start missing out on big games next year?

weird timing to say when in less than a week we're potentially expecting another timed (or full? hope not) exclusive Mainline final fantasy to be announced?
along with news of the already announced JP games from June.

doubtful tgs will show, but still waiting for Re:Link info, Project Awakening, and Tales of

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing we don't discuss PS4/PS5 will miss is big games.
okay, maybe I misread the previous conversation.

midtier games I agree switch is definitely increasing in getting exclusives compared to before.

but then there are also random PS exclusive mid-tiers frequently.
Guess I haven't seen a seismic shift yet either way.

most of these games need multiplat more than anything anyway

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
okay, maybe I misread the previous conversation.

midtier games I agree switch is definitely increasing in getting exclusives compared to before.

but then there are also random PS exclusive mid-tiers frequently.
Guess I haven't seen a seismic shift yet either way.

most of these games need multiplat more than anything anyway
It has more to do with "everything will be on PlayStation no matter what" when that's already far from reality.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
If the floor falls out for PlayStation then there will definitely be less releases, even if you just consider how many publishers/developers/series are avoiding Switch and how many of them haven't been able to transition all that well.

Well if there are some publishers willing to make suicide (if PS doesn't make enough money then nothing will) I guess that could happen.

Might have to do with sony building a audience where " lesser" games are seen as inferior to more AAA offerings and anything seen as ported from switch will be scoffed at, DQ11S might possibly be an example here

Well this is just my own guess but I think once again at the start of the gen Sony will focus more on smaller games (in west indies) like they did with PS4 as they want the hardcore audience on board as soon as possible. Then after that during mid and late gen you can focus on more ''casual'' userbase.

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
It happened way before then.

Aside from the points raised by Avada above, I would say that that was pretty much the last year Japan Studio stopped making content aimed at the Japanese Market. There hasn't been anything since Freedom Wars/Oreshika/Soul Sac Delta that doesn't feel aimed at the west first and foremost, so it seems as good a cutoff point as anywhere.

Deleted member 15360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Aside from the points raised by Avada above, I would say that that was pretty much the last year Japan Studio stopped making content aimed at the Japanese Market. There hasn't been anything since Freedom Wars/Oreshika/Soul Sac Delta that doesn't feel aimed at the west first and foremost, so it seems as good a cutoff point as anywhere.
Giving up on the market is different than "losing the market". The vita's failure right out of the gate was the final signal the market was lost given the PS3's performance.