• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Also Switch Lite got sick and tired of all yall talking that shit about it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Unless your game is very early in December, it's a waste to throw it there. Christmas shopping will swallow all your marketing.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This week confirms that PS4 will have dire numbers in Japan until it's discontinued.
tenor.gif

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unless your game is very early in December, it's a waste to throw it there. Christmas shopping will swallow all your marketing.
Yeah. December games are games that the publisher physically cannot get out earlier (eg. Smash last year)- anyone would prefer to be in November.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised by P5R numbers. It's essentially a rerelease on the same console.

I have faith LM3 will have strong legs.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
There will be drop for Switch hardware next week but it's also the pre Pokemon launch bump that will soften it.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Last year's pre-Pokémon bump:
Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|  NSW  |     53.385 |     40.344 |     84.593 |  2.029.719 |  2.189.791 |   5.436.877 |
This year the Pokémon game is bigger, so the bump should be better. However, as Chris mentioned, absolute sales next week will most likely drop due to the launch of the Pokémon Lite this week. I wonder if 90k would be possible next week.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Last year's pre-Pokémon bump:
Code:
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
|  NSW  |     53.385 |     40.344 |     84.593 |  2.029.719 |  2.189.791 |   5.436.877 |
This year the Pokémon game is bigger, so the bump should be better. However, as Chris mentioned, absolute sales next week will most likely drop due to the launch of the Pokémon Lite this week. I wonder if 90k would be possible next week.
Also there were some cost-saving bundles during Pokemon week last year so the bump might have been mitigated because of that.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lite not seeming to undercut OG sales at all has to be seen as a remarkable victory for Nintendo

Sep 14, 2019
Decent opening for Luigi's Mansion 3 when including digital. I hope it outsells 2 in Japan.

Also, what happened with Mario and Sonic? Any speculative reasons as to why it isn't selling well initially? Even with legs that debut seems pretty low. It looked like an attractive game from an outsider's perspective.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Week 45, 2018

NSW - 53.385
PS4 - 16.216

The real Switch battle for year over year weekly comparisons starts at week 46, Pokemon launch.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lite not seeming to undercut OG sales at all has to be seen as a remarkable victory for Nintendo
It's totally best case scenario- they've managed to carve out a new segment of the market without damaging the old one.

We'll have to see what happens over the holidays, but I'd guess they couldn't be happier with how it's gone so far.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's totally best case scenario- they've managed to carve out a new segment of the market without damaging the old one.

We'll have to see what happens over the holidays, but I'd guess they couldn't be happier with how it's gone so far.

They were very clever with launching the updated before the Lite as well and how subtle they were with the announcement as to not have it affect original OG sales. Then the free replacement to the new if you bought old within a certain time. They have their finger on the pulse of Japan so damn well at this point, it's crazy.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
The three games that will be pushed more from Nintendo at holidays are Pokemon, Luigi and Ring Fit.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Really nice to see a new IP taking over.

Always refreshing especially when they come from Nintendo.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
You forget Olympic Games will be held in Japan this year. The game will chart til next year. We might see 20-30k weeks during Olympic Games.
Yeah, the olympic being in Tokyo next year will definitely have a postive effect. Mario & Sonic London 2012 did reappear in the charts for 5-6 weeks during the olympic (although in the lower part of the chart), and if that happened with the olympic being based in London, i expect the same to happen even better when taking place in Tokyo instead. The only negative thing i can see is the duration between the game and the olympic (about 8.5 months). By that time, the market might have a lot of used copies and quite a reduced price for new copies. I wonder why they release the game now, and not wait until next year, like they did with Mario & Sonic Rio (3DS version being released in February 2016, and the WiiU version being released in June 2016, much closer to the actual olympic). I guess they wanted to have the game ready for this holiday season, but still, i think maybe it could be better to release it closer to the olympics.

Does Luigi have vouchers?
I think all 1st party games have vouchers. Or.. maybe not the cheaper ones (not a good idea using the voucher on those games anyway).

Oof at Mario and Sonic. I thought people ITT had high expectations for it?
I did see some speculation for a millilon seller if i dont remember wrong. But theres still some time (i doubt a million will happen based on the 1st week sales however), we'll see after that the olympic has ended next year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Word of mouth and hype for Mario & Sonic failed hard this time. Holiday sales will determine if it can recover or not.

Nintendo reprinting Super Mario Party bundles don't work in favour of it.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I'd say the surprising part isn't that they cater to different audiences per se, but more the fact that these different markets are completely complementary (at least so far). Like, one might have expected Switch OG sales to take a 10% hit with a 1:2 ratio between OG and Lite applying, but no, OG Switch takes no hit whatsoever despite the 1:2 ratio holding for typical weeks.
But why would Switch OG sales dip when the main selling point (console versatility and ability to adapt to anyone lifestyle) is absent on Switch Lite?

Switch Lite is a masked price cut for those whose a feature-less Switch at a cheaper price is good enough to jump into the Switch ecosystem (and probably wouldn't have splashed cash to buy a Switch).
The people who planned to get a Switch OG in the near future, won't be swayed away by the Switch Lite because the Switch OG unique selling point is part of the proposition.
Switch Lite aims for price conscious customers or Switch OG owners who want a personal Switch (in the beginning around 43% of the Switch Lite buyers were also Switch OG owners).
This is of course a win win scenario for Nintendo:
Switch OG (revision) has surely better margins than Switch Lite and both run the same exact software (almost).

Part of the identity and reason for existing for the lite model is that it is a cheaper version of the platform. This means that the people looking to get the platform at the best price, should have moved from Switch to Switch lite, but this doesn't seem to have happened. It reinforces the idea that the hybrid nature of the Switch is a much bigger deal than first thought, and it means that Switch Lite is not eating into those Switch sales, but growing a separate market for itself as a slightly more focused handheld, it selling less weekly (on average) than the Switch, means the market is more interested in a premium device than a budget one. This is the opposite we see with things like the Xbox 1 X and Pro models, but does follow Nintendo's handheld/console (in case of Wii U) history of the more premium model selling more.

It could also mean that Lite is selling on top of Switch, and it isn't traditional YoY growth, which could mean a separate sales total than what we previously expected though limited. In theory, this could mean we see a YoY growth with the Switch from last holiday season (1.4M + say 30% for 1.82M, + a separate Lite total).
See my reply above.
The Lite exists for two categories:
- people who couldn't buy a Switch with its current price point and for which a featureless Switch is "good enough".
- people who already own a Switch but would like to increase the number of Switch consoles in the household (for example buying a cheaper Switch for the wife just in time for Animal Crossing or for the kids just in time for the mainline Pokemon).

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
DQXIS could last charting until holidays and see bumps.

We might see 10-15k sales on a weekly basis under holidays.

What other j-RPG could chart for two-three months straight?

DQIX was release on DS during June 2009 and charted until Week 49 and then in Week 50 and 51 sold 17.749 and 23.690 respectively.

The three games that will be pushed more from Nintendo at holidays are Pokemon, Luigi and Ring Fit.

Yep. Nintendo keeps targeting audiences very clearly, like last year.

Veteran gamers ➡️ Luigi's Mansion (last year: Smash)
Kids ➡️ Pokémon Sword/Shield (Pokémon Let's Go)
Families/casual ➡️ RingFit (Mario Party)

Of course, Smash had a broader appeal last year while this year's big gun is definitely Pokémon but that sums more or less the main target audience of each product.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Really nice to see a new IP taking over.

Always refreshing especially when they come from Nintendo.

This one is especially crazy because we didn't even know it existed 2 months ago. It really came out of the blue.

Veteran gamers ➡ Luigi's Mansion (last year: Smash)
Kids ➡ Pokémon Sword/Shield (Pokémon Let's Go)
Families/casual ➡ RingFit (Mario Party)

Of course, Smash had a broader appeal last year while this year's big gun is definitely Pokémon but that sums more or less the main target audience of each product.

I don't really have much of an actual basis on this but I don't think Ring Fit really fits into that category so much. It seems like it's actually appealing to the core market (no pun intended) more than typical casual/party games do. It is a full fledged RPG after all.

Again I don't have any data to support this but that's just the impression I get from playing it and talking about it here.