• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which option do you prefer?

Votes: 68 7.9%

Votes: 63 7.3%

Votes: 110 12.8%

Votes: 418 48.5%

Votes: 203 23.5%

• Total voters

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Out of those, either 4 or 5 but I'm not entirely sure what the point of the spacing is.

Though to be honest, I wish the font was a bit smaller.

Eyeh4wk

Oct 25, 2017
No spacing is the way to go. And if possible stretched to the sides as well. Not a fan of the squished look. Too much wasted space.

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
While typografically and logically Open Sans makes sense, the problem is it renders like crap. The benefit of Helvetica is that it renders decently. Naturally San Francisco and Roboto would be optimal.

Namaste

Oct 25, 2017
I really really want larger fonts. I think no spaces look better but the spacing makes it much easier to read. In the end I voted 4 but could live with 5 too.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think Open Sans reads better with large blocks of text, but I really think it should be 14pt instead of 12.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Oh and while you're on the task of reformatting user posts can you please release me from this hell I'm about to have an aneurysm
JzAfN9O.jpg

I second this. The report button should be next to the other two.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Well that's nice, my choice is the clear winner thus far. :P

Honestly, I'm just glad there's a clear delineation between posts now. When it was all the same color it was a nightmare haha.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Noooo, I hate the space. It's just a waste of screen real estate. We already have alternating colors to differentiate posts T.T

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
I know it won't happen, but I think Lato is a beautiful web font that works well in both dark and light themes and had a decent variety of styles (bold, italic, etc.).

Just a thought.

But I do think for user readability, some sort of spacing is important.

RionaaM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to vote for 5, but since so many people want spacing, I'm going to help them get their wish. Option 4 it is.

Tim Aza

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stockton, CA
Looks like we're moving to Helvetica, the correct choice >:)

As far as spacing goes, I agree with others' sentiment that a single pixel width border between cells should be enough to distinguish between posts. Something like this:

2RATwvA.jpg

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we're moving to Helvetica, the correct choice >:)

As far as spacing goes, I agree with others' sentiment that a single pixel width border between cells should be enough to distinguish between posts.
Came in here to say exactly this. Helvetica with a 1px border between posts and no spacing is the way to go. I think the left/right side padding should also be reduced for desktop browsers. I'd say posts/threads should take up roughly 90% or more of the width of your browser window, with only very small padding left on the sides.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Helvetica is overrated and overused. Plus it's much better for print than web.

However, I agree with ScOULaris that padding on the side should be reduced to 5% on each side on resolutions greater than 720 width.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the fonts were a bit darker.

Is there no way to have options so people can choose their own fonts? Or is that impossible.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot going on in a single post. Makes it hard when you're trying to quickly read a thread.

Not sure what will fix that, but I voted for #4 anyway.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Posts feel 'crowded' for a lack of a better term, to me. Like they're right on top of each other.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I voted 4 but all of them are too large

btw, I hope you admins log in as regular users every now and then to see how it looks for us -- specifically the obnoxious report button. It looks better for you since it isn't just floating there by itself

edit: changed my answer to 5. After seeing some of the other mockups and posts, I think we need more contrast not spacing. Or smaller spacing like the post below

Last edited:

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a 2px margin between posts works pretty well:
(Yes, I'm using the unofficial dark theme.)

As for the folks asking for the message area to be stretched across the entire screen... yeah, no. Having a thinner column is FAR preferable for readability. It's incredibly irritating to have to run my eyes across the entire screen just to read a single line of text.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, each post has way too much space surrounding it.

Everything has too much space surrounding it. Stuff needs to be more compact me thinks.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as it has spaces I don't mind.

I picked option 3 btw.

EDIT: Actually I think a single pixel line between posts like the old forum had is best, it looks classier.

Last edited:

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Voted 5th but the choices aren't very extensive.

A. I don't think that adding such huge gap between posts is a good idea at all.
B. 12pt is a bit large for the main font. I'm looking at the page with it right now and the text is huge. Why not go with 11pt?
C. Instead of opting for some fixed font you could look into using system fonts instead.
D. First thing I'd do is make the report/quote/reply buttons in each post way less visible. This will have big effect on how a thread page is perceived.

deim0s

Oct 25, 2017
Voted for 4. But wanted more uniformity on the spacing of each elements within a post.