• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard the story and don't believe Sony, who don't fund IP's they don't own hence them passing on Insomniac's Sunset Overdrive, would happily license any expensive Marvel IP Insomniac wanted to choose and fund it's development out of the kindness of their heart. It's no coincidence that the IP that was chosen happens to be the one Marvel IP Sony has a vested interest in theatrically. To believe otherwise would be naive.
Exactly. It seems people don't get this. Marvel would never approach Sony if they planned to bring any other character of thiers to console i.e Capt America, Dare Devil, Thor, Iron Man ....etc. This was a one-off case.

Jeffrey Guang

Nov 4, 2017
Taiwn
Disagree with your friend. On PS4, it would have been The Order part two. Quantum Break was for me at best a good 7.0/10 game but nowhere near what Remedy is capable of. Plus, being connected to a TV show was fucking stupid. Halo Wars 2 got bad reviews because the game was a glitch bug filled disaster when it launched. It had a lot of problems and needed more time.

Sunset Overdrive has an 80 or so MC. That's not bad at all considering the type of game it is. Nothing really to do with quality or marketing. More to do with the Xbox One user base simply not being interested in the game.

I don't disagree that Microsoft releases some mediocre games on Xbox One. I also agree that Sunset Overdrive was a great game. However, saying it sold poorly because Xbox One owners just aren't into the game is disingenuous at best.

What was the quality of Sunset Overdrive that Xbox gamers supposedly isn't interested in? Color and humor? Ori and the Blind Forest & Cuphead also got the "wrong platform" criticism. Yet they both crush Sunset Overdrive in terms of sales on Xbox One. Ori even share the same E3 stage with Sunset Overdrive in 2014. So, no. I don't think it's the problem of the audience. The fact that so many fans needed to explain to fellow Xbox Redditor what the game was like at the time was a strong indicator that people don't even know what the game was about. It was promoted as a shooter yet the shooting mechanic was not even the point of the game. It had Deadpool humor yet was promoted as a kids friendly game. And Microsoft weren't even wholeheartedly promoting the game because they would rather focus on advertising Rise of the Tomb Raider and Forza Horizon 2. IMO, these are the true reason why the game failed. Don't blame the audience if they don't even know what your product was.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, I want to post in here I really do but let's nip the Spiderman/Sony/Insomniac chat in the bud. Pages and pages of it.

After hearing what Matt Booty said about potential acquisitions, Insomniac is off the table. We don't need to talk about them. I would one million percent prefer a Remedy buyout anyway :)

Also read this GI article last night which highlights a lot of what Xbox is doing to win back consumer trust and helping to increase its mindshare

https://www.gameinformer.com/opinio...eat-job-listening-to-its-fans-this-generation

A bit more of a balanced overview rather than being a bit shit ;)

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking hell, I want to post in here I really do but let's nip the Spiderman/Sony/Insomniac chat in the bud. Pages and pages of it.

After hearing what Matt Booty said about potential acquisitions, Insomniac is off the table. We don't need to talk about them. I would one million percent prefer a Remedy buyout anyway :)
Remedy buyout definitely ain't happening even if Remedy were interested.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Like i said alot of times the ship has sailed. MS and Remedy had the chance for alot of years. Now Remedy has changed. Doing more work for hire stuff, they are a IPO now etc.
They needed to change because doing second party stuff project for alot of years and SP only wasnt viable anymore. Like Quantum Break. So the company changed to survive the future really.
And if i was Remedy i would be quite "pissed" if MS now suddenly would have come knocking after they changed the company.

Deleted member 18951

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remedy buyout definitely ain't happening even if Remedy were interested.

Like i said alot of times the ship has sailed. MS and Remedy had the chance for alot of years. Now Remedy has changed. Doing more work for hire stuff, they are a IPO now etc.
They needed to change because doing second party stuff project for alot of years and SP only wasnt viable anymore. Like Quantum Break. So the company changed to survive the future really.
And if i was Remedy i would be quite "pissed" if MS now suddenly would have come knocking after they changed the company.

Just because they've went through an IPO doesn't mean MS can't buy them it just means it's a bit more work involved with it. They are the perfect developer for Game Pass and have an IP with loads of potential that already exists in an episodic format.

Even if Remedy is impossible I'd rather discuss that potential deal rather than one that involves Insomniacs and a Sony exclusive :)

everyer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think it's more a marketing problem than a quality problem. A friend told me that if Quantum Break was published by Sony, it would be a 90+ game on metacritic. After playing it, I totally agree.

Halo Wars 2 and Quantum Break are excellent games. Sunset Overdrive too. I really think that the metascore of these games is a shame.

Have you ever played Detroit?
It should be a 90 but it is 80.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Playful
Certain Affinity
Ruffian Games

And Microsoft Studios would be complete imo.
The issue with certain affinity if they've only really been a helper studio. I don't think that fits the studios ms is looking at and I don't think it's necessarily a good purchase either. Just continue hiring them to help out on halo etc.

New studios should be making their own games and actually increasing their portfolio . Sure there's nothing stopping CA from making their own game but since they have literally zero experience in that department it's a big gamble and also means ms will need to find another helper studio aswell.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Just because they've went through an IPO doesn't mean MS can't buy them it just means it's a bit more work involved with it. They are the perfect developer for Game Pass and have an IP with loads of potential that already exists in an episodic format.

Even if Remedy is impossible I'd rather discuss that potential deal rather than one that involves Insomniacs and a Sony exclusive :)

Just saying the company changed alot to survive because one of the reasons is that MS didnt buy them in all those years.
I see Remedy being very reluctant now to be aqquired after all the work they did to change their company to survive.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Microsoft has already wasted time and money with Remedy. It's apparent Microsoft has moved on and as a result, so have Remedy. As much as an episodic Alan Wale sequel would be perfect for Game Pass, I don't see MS funding it unless they get ownership of the Alan Wake IP.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft has already wasted time and money with Remedy. It's apparent Microsoft has moved on and as a result, so have Remedy. As much as an episodic Alan Wale sequel would be perfect for Game Pass, I don't see MS funding it unless they get ownership of the Alan Wake IP.
Well if ms bought remedy they'd also own Alan wake :P

But ms won't buy remedy. Or insomniac. Neither seem to want to be bought and as you said ms and remedy have moved on.

Hell with how slow remedy work I'm not really sure they'd be a good fit even for gamepass. Alan wake is a good fit but I don't think remedy is. You need someone that can deliver a consistent flow of episodes for game pass and I don't think remedy is capable of doing so. There would be huge gaps between episodes.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I don't disagree that Microsoft releases some mediocre games on Xbox One. I also agree that Sunset Overdrive was a great game. However, saying it sold poorly because Xbox One owners just aren't into the game is disingenuous at best.

What was the quality of Sunset Overdrive that Xbox gamers supposedly isn't interested in? Color and humor? Ori and the Blind Forest & Cuphead also got the "wrong platform" criticism. Yet they both crush Sunset Overdrive in terms of sales on Xbox One. Ori even share the same E3 stage with Sunset Overdrive in 2014. So, no. I don't think it's the problem of the audience. The fact that so many fans needed to explain to fellow Xbox Redditor what the game was like at the time was a strong indicator that people don't even know what the game was about. It was promoted as a shooter yet the shooting mechanic was not even the point of the game. It had Deadpool humor yet was promoted as a kids friendly game. And Microsoft weren't even wholeheartedly promoting the game because they would rather focus on advertising Rise of the Tomb Raider and Forza Horizon 2. IMO, these are the true reason why the game failed. Don't blame the audience if they don't even know what your product was.

I agree with almost all your post, except this, I didn't get that from the marketing at all. Their marketing was pretty much like the trailer below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heYWIUIFwbw

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Sunset Overdrive has an 80 or so MC. That's not bad at all considering the type of game it is. Nothing really to do with quality or marketing. More to do with the Xbox One user base simply not being interested in the game.
Nah, Sunset Overdrive would have flopped on any platform. It's a good game but even at its reveal I knew that art style would give it limited appeal.

Given the variety of games we see selling well on XBO from Battlefield to Ori to Crash to NieR to MHW, the sweeping generalisations about the XBO user base are ridiculous and unfounded.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well if ms bought remedy they'd also own Alan wake :P

But ms won't buy remedy. Or insomniac. Neither seem to want to be bought and as you said ms and remedy have moved on.

Hell with how slow remedy work I'm not really sure they'd be a good fit even for gamepass. Alan wake is a good fit but I don't think remedy is. You need someone that can deliver a consistent flow of episodes for game pass and I don't think remedy is capable of doing so. There would be huge gaps between episodes.
Control is their fastest turn around after a game release I've seen Remedy do in the HD era. If it releases next year then it would've only taken them 3 years since Quantum Break released.

Is Control a full $60 retail release?

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Control is their fastest turn around after a game release I've seen Remedy do in the HD era. If it releases next year then it would've only taken them 3 years since Quantum Break released.

It's normal no ? The game can be called quantum break 2 with all the assets they take from QB. I think this is why this game will be release this son.
But this is for the best since the game look so nice !

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeh I think it's $60.

But it's not out yet so it's hard to judge if there's 3 years worth of dev time there. I mean the game is literally a copy of qb so it shouldn't take that long in the first place. For all we know the game could be like 5 hours long and not much changes from qb, in that case I'd say 3 years is too long (just as an example). Based off what they've released to date they're not good enough for game pass imo. Control could change that of course.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeh I think it's $60.

But it's not out yet so it's hard to judge if there's 3 years worth of dev time there. I mean the game is literally a copy of qb so it shouldn't take that long in the first place. Based off what they've released to date they're not good enough for game pass imo. Control could change that of course.
The game also seems smaller in scope than Quantum Break and Alan Wake with more of a focus on game systems and mechanics than story, which could be a good thing.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Disagree with your friend. On PS4, it would have been The Order part two. Quantum Break was for me at best a good 7.0/10 game but nowhere near what Remedy is capable of. Plus, being connected to a TV show was fucking stupid. Halo Wars 2 got bad reviews because the game was a glitch bug filled disaster when it launched. It had a lot of problems and needed more time.
Lol. In The Order 1886, everything was bad. The gameplay was bad, but the story was even worse.

In Quantum Break, gameplay is correct (yes, It's not the perfect game for that), but it's one of the better time travel story ever made, all media combined. The TV Show fits well with that story.

If you're only interested by the gameplay, I can understand why you give Quantum Break only a 7/10 and why you don't like the TV Show, but the game is just not for you. The story of Zelda : Breath of the wild is at best bad, but I didn't see anyone say it deserves a 7/10 for this reason.

Have you ever played Detroit?

It should be a 90 but it is 80.

Not yet, but yes, story driven games seems to be underestimate by the journalists. It's explain maybe why the metascore of Quantum Break is so low.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Halo Wars 2 has a MC of 79%. In which universe is this considered "bad"?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Halo Wars 2 is worse than the first game imo.
As of today I've spent more than 480 hours in HW2 and while I always respect different opinions, I just can't agree with this. Halo Wars 2 is such a more diverse and complete game, it's not even close. The strategies available in the first game were super limited, most of the units not viable. And I won't even begin with the atrocious AI / path finding problems of the first game ...

Jan 4, 2018
I think Sucker Punch would fit more myself due to Infamous. But Bend would definitely be an interesting choice.

Anyways, since this is a Microsoft thread , I have a question for others here - what genre do you think Microsoft should focus more on? They already have racing and FPS down, so what should be their next genre they should aim to dominate in?

For me, I think it's RPGs and Strategy. Whether that be CRPGs, ARPGs or JRPG (preferably all about) I think it's something they should aim for. A developer like Obsidian would definitely help with the RPG output and I know it's been discussed about here. Sports and Platformers are others I think they should aim for.
I second this, so much. (Not just because those are my preferred genres).
RPG in their many variations are really popular and have been for a long time.
Also, those genres are specially huge on PC, so that would make sense if they're serious about gaining market share in this sector.
I actually think Marvel went around to several companies and gave them the option to work on a game (Sony picking Spider-Man, Square picking Avengers (and rumored to also have a Guardians of the Galaxy game in development)).

The question, from Microsoft's perspective is did they get a shot (I can't see them turning it down), which property did/would they pick, who's making it, and why haven't we seen or heard rumors yet?
I can't find anything about this right now but I'm pretty sure at the time there were rumors saying Marvel approached both Sony and MS for an exclusive project for each and Square for multiplats.
Can be remembering it wrong though

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't know about that. I think it made sense now because Marvel and Sony were capable of coming to a deal for Spider man to be in the MCU for a 5 picture deal. I think the future will be determined by a number of factors such as if a new deal is made or not, and/or how well this game sells. Huge game sales on PS4 could keep it an exclusive for Sony's platform for a while regardless if Sony and Marvel reup their movie deal or not.
I meant the story they got offered an exclusive makes no sense. So Marvel was impressed with WW studios from Sony (talking about self promotion bringing it up every time they tell this story) and then decided to hand them whatever hero they chose as exclusive, and they go to a developer not part of WWS? And just so happen that it's the same hero Sony has a deal with? (And correct if I'm wrong, but I don't think they even acknowledged the movie deal, if they did the hack definitely forced their hand, so it's not like they are rushing to tell us about their deals).

Like people already said, if Marvel wanted Inso to make a spider game they could have gone to literally any other publisher in the world. Sony's money is no better than others to fund a independent studio.

Edit: I was sleepy sorry, completely misread your post.

Still a 5 picture movie should be a time span of what? 15 years?

you mean the movie right with Marvel for forseeable future
Yeah, you are correct :P

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As of today I've spent more than 480 hours in HW2 and while I always respect different opinions, I just can't agree with this. Halo Wars 2 is such a more diverse and complete game, it's not even close. The strategies available in the first game were super limited, most of the units not viable. And I won't even begin with the atrocious AI / path finding problems of the first game ...

That's okay, I don't agree with you either.

I meant the story they got offered an exclusive makes no sense. So Marvel was impressed with WW studios from Sony (talking about self promotion bringing it up every time they tell this story) and then decided to hand them whatever hero they chose as exclusive, and they go to a developer not part of WWS? And just so happen that it's the same hero Sony has a deal with? (And correct if I'm wrong, but I don't think they even acknowledged the movie deal, if they did the hack definitely forced their hand, so it's not like they are rushing to tell us about their deals).

Like people already said, if Marvel wanted Inso to make a spider game they could have gone to literally any other publisher in the world. Sony's money is no better than others to fund a independent studio.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/so...ir-current-projects.397/page-255#post-5462390

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So you are kinda like Trump in a way. Facts being shown straight to your face, yet to refuse to believe it and go with your own thoughts?
Because there are other known facts that make more sense than this fabricated fairy tale, like the fact Sony holding the Spider man movies hostage creating shitty movies to retain the IP, and forcing Marvel to make a deal they didn't wanted to get creative control back.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because there are other known facts that make more sense than this fabricated fairy tale, like the fact Sony holding the Spider man movies hostage creating shitty movies to retain the IP, and forcing Marvel to make a deal they didn't wanted to get creative control back.

Doesn't matter. Fact is fact. Marvel, Playstation and Insomniac has stated what is fact. What you think wherever what they have said is believable or not is irrelevant. Fact is fact. Insomniacs Spider-Man got nothing to do with the movie rights. If you believe the facts that has been presented is false then that's on you, just know that until something else has been officialle said you are wrong.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Guys. Wrong topic. I'm looking forward to Spider-Man, too, but here I want to read about other things. Or at least do some connection to this thread.

Am I crazy to think FH4 MAU will beat Spider-Man MAU? Both should be able to hit the 10 Million mark sooner or later. Initial sales should be higher for spidey though, with FH4 probably having the better legs.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19924

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if GamePass can push either Halo: Infinite, Gears 5 or FH4 to 20 million+ players? I think Halo can achieve this.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys. Wrong topic. I'm looking forward to Spider-Man, too, but here I want to read about other things. Or at least do some connection to this thread.

Am I crazy to think FH4 MAU will beat Spider-Man MAU? Both should be able to hit the 10 Million mark sooner or later. Initial sales should be higher for spidey though, with FH4 probably having the better legs.

Im way more hyped for FH4 than Spider-Man, but Spider-Man will do better. I mean, it's the first (good?) Spider-Man since Spider-Man 2 and it will sell massively simply thanks to the hype and excitement around the MCU, Avengers 4 and Far From Home.

What's with the unnecessary antagonism?

There's nothing hostile about my post. If there is, then Im sorry. Im just tired of people refusing to believe facts in this post-fact-Trump era.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's the first (good?) Spider-Man since Spider-Man 2
Hmmmmm...............
Im just tired of people refusing to believe facts in this post-fact-Trump era.
......does not compute.

EDIT:
  • Ultimate Spider-Man
  • Web of Shadows (console and DS version)
  • Shattered Dimensions
These were all very solid games. Didn't play Edge of Time unfortunately, but I heard it was alright too. The Amazing Spider-Man games had some interesting ideas with the web zips etc. too, so let's not kid ourselves into thinking Spider-Man 2 is the only Spidey game that matters lol.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing hostile about my post. If there is, then Im sorry. Im just tired of people refusing to believe facts in this post-fact-Trump era.
Challenging the official statement is not refusing to believe facts.

But klobrille is right, this is the MS discussion thread. Spiderman is not an Xbox title and Insomniac is almost certainly not being purchased by MS so this whole discussion is very off topic.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmmmm...............

......does not compute.

I didn't forget to put a question mark behind "good", did I? Might check my post again. On mobile.

Challenging the official statement is not refusing to believe facts.

But klobrille is right, this is the MS discussion thread. Spiderman is not an Xbox title and Insomniac is almost certainly not being purchased by MS so this whole discussion is very off topic.

Klobrille just questioned if FH4 will do better than Spider-Man based on MAU...

EDIT:
  • Ultimate Spider-Man
  • Web of Shadows (console and DS version)
  • Shattered Dimensions
These were all very solid games. Didn't play Edge of Time unfortunately, but I heard it was alright too. The Amazing Spider-Man games had some interesting ideas with the web zips etc. too, so let's not kid ourselves into thinking Spider-Man 2 is the only Spidey game that matters lol.

All of them were bad to mediocre imo.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't forget to put a question mark behind "good", did I? Might check my post again. On mobile.
Check my edit, just wanted to make note of some other Spidey games that came out since Spider-Man 2 that were pretty good as well.

I dream of the day we get another Ultimate Spider-Man that's cel shaded and has a playable Venom. Leaping around and causing mayhem was fun, and absorbing people with the symbiote was hilarious lol.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Check my edit, just wanted to make note of some other Spidey games that came out since Spider-Man 2 that were pretty good as well.

I dream of the day we get another Ultimate Spider-Man that's cel shaded and has a playable Venom. Leaping around and causing mayhem was fun, and absorbing people with the symbiote was hilarious lol.

No worries.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Klobrille just questioned if FH4 will do better than Spider-Man based on MAU...

All of them were bad to mediocre imo.
I at least tried to bring some form of relevance to a Microsoft first-party thread. Sorry for interrupting your Spidey talk.

Do I really always need to post a new riddle to get this thread back on track ...?

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
MAU is a biased stat when you are comparing a multiplayer game against a single player one. Obviously a year down the line FH4 will have more MAU than Spider-Man.

Going by sales Spider-Man will obviously sell more than FH4 in the long run.

Chris.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think Super Lucky's Tale was succesful enough to warrant a new game from Playful?
Imo yeah. I don't think it sold too well but I think it was good enough for Ms to get behind them. It's charming enough and family friendly too, and a platformer - a genre ms needs since rare don't really seem interested in making those games any more.

I think ms will buy playful. SLT had it's issues but there's definitely potential there and the developers are definitely talented

Status
Not open for further replies.