Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
You are putting the onus and weight on them, unfairly. They should be listened to if they want to but you don't see the position it puts them into? "Listen to black voices" doesn't mean it is on them to fix shit, it's "listen to black voices" and step up and do something.

FGC and EVO going to have to decide if they support racism and it shouldn't be on the backs of PoC to do it for them
You know, fair point. If they want to speak up they should be listened to but if they don't then action needs to be taken without their input. Thanks for pointing that out. Hell, in this case silence would speak loudly enough.

h0mebas3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He should be!

But I also don't think removing the game from the competition—without the agreement of the top competitors, who are primarily minorities—is a solid answer. It's removing their own agency. It's not my place to tell them how they should or should not choose to hold this man accountable. I am not part of that FGC community.

Top competitors--regardless of their race--should have absolutely no input as to what happens in this situation. I don't quite understand the logic behind that. EVO needs to have its own standards for what they feel is appropriate behavior.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Top competitors--regardless of their race--should have absolutely no input as to what happens in this situation. I don't quite understand the logic behind that.
Because ultimately it's their community and I'm not going to tell them how to police their own community. It's one thing if they don't speak up--as said above--but it's another to tell them that their voice doesn't matter.

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because ultimately it's their community and I'm not going to tell them how to police their own community. It's one thing if they don't speak up--as said above--but it's another to tell them that their voice doesn't matter.

Correct--they can do anything they want in their community. But when that community is now going to be represented on a larger stage by a corporation, that corporation then has to decide if that communities response to insensitivity aligns with theirs.

It's not about policing anyone's community. It's about determining if the way your community members behave is consistent with how we (EVO) want to present ourselves.

Poemkin

Oct 27, 2017
That is actively punishing the players for something a developer said. They should not deal with the consequences like that.

There's already been responses so I'll largely leave it there. That being said, if the competitors don't like SG being withdrawn from EVO, let MikeZ answer to it. Maybe the players will get more than the "too soon" he's given the FGC.

It's an EVO tournament and therefore SG is being placed in the spotlight. For Skullgirls to be publicly ejected from the the compeition, with EVO organisers saying why, sends a message on what is and isn't tolerable.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
To be clear, MikeZ has clarified that he was wrong to say "too soon". He tweeted this shortly after the apology.

"I did say I'm not a good speaker, and it's extra hard when you're crying and very aware that everyone will judge every word. I don't think it's fine, ever."

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Freaking wild that thread is now giving dude a pass because of empathy, when none of this would be a conversation if he had a shread of that empathy. This is the systematic part of systematic racism "We agree this is bad, but we need to let it slide for the greater good". World would be a better place if folks can just stop right before "but". How come that greater good involves recongizing black, or brown, or LGBTQ humanity? The dude prep and loaded a verbal piss stream on the corpse of a dead person of color. Yet folks couldn't wait to cape for him for the "community", well he just told that community they ain't shit but amusement for him(not only in the intial joke, but the first apology), how about we talk about that?
The systematic part of systematic racism🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Oct 25, 2017
Freaking wild that thread is now giving dude a pass because of empathy, when none of this would be a conversation if he had a shread of that empathy. This is the systematic part of systematic racism "We agree this is bad, but we need to let it slide for the greater good". World would be a better place if folks can just stop right before "but". How come that greater good involves recongizing black, or brown, or LGBTQ humanity? The dude prep and loaded a verbal piss stream on the corpse of a dead person of color. Yet folks couldn't wait to cape for him for the "community", well he just told that community they ain't shit but amusement for him(not only in the intial joke, but the first apology), how about we talk about that?

👆🏼

Anything vile verbal and you lose the credibility from the community. Period.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who accidentally drops their prefabricated dead nigger joke on stream, in the presence of a black person, does much worse off cam with only their white friends around them.

Stop it with the "bad joke" shit. There's levels and this mofo just ascended to supreme being.

His black "friends" just got a glimpse and will need time to process things, to put the pieces together for themselves. Godspeed to them.

When he calls the joke "too soon", he didn't mean to make publicly, he meant to make when there are no minorities around. He stumbled into the joke on stream (the other dude making the "suffocating" comment made it click into his mind) and couldn't stop himself, but he actually had that one in the pocket for his other dickhead friends to laugh at privately.

I'm sorry but good people don't make racist look at that dead nigger jokes. Again, the fact that it could slip out given the context of the situation should say a lot. The fact that he didn't even recognize wrongdoing immediately says a lot too.

He watched the video of George Floyd dying and found humor in the white man choking him to death. That's powerful stuff to digest.

Tbh there are also black people who will listen to their white friends do those kinda 'jokes' and stay silent as to not be seen as the 'angry black person' etc or afraid to highlight their blackness in mostly white spaces by speaking out.

Not going to cast aspersions on other black people but we all know people who let that shit pass. That's never been me and never will be. Best believe I'm challenging it even if it's a 'friend'.

What gets me is to listen to his smug and confident delivery of the 'joke' no hesitating, just looking for the right moment to inject it into the commentary.

Now he wants to tell us his crying online. Fuck outta here.

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh there are also black people who will listen to the white friends do those kinda 'jokes' and stay silent as to not be seen as the 'angry black person' etc or afraid to highlight their blackness in mostly white spaces by speaking out.

Not going to cast aspersions on other black people but we all know people who let that shit pass. That's never been me and never will be. Best believe I'm challenging it even if it's a 'friend'.

What gets me is to listen to his smug and confident delivery of the 'joke' no hesitating, just looking for the right moment to inject it into the commentary.

Now he wants to tell us his crying online. Fuck outta here.
That is what get me, the pause and the giggle, felt like dude been sitting on that for a while. it wasn't a reflex or off the cuff. It was premeditated. We seen these types before, when they say that shit to your face, we know what they say behind closed doors

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
A personal ban would just be a slap on the wrist. So what then, Mike can't commentate, but his game still gets a lot of advertisement at EVO. That means Mike Z gains more notoriety for having his game as an event at EVO. Should EVO allow that to happen at the expense of the pain and suffering of POC and victims of police brutality that he mocked. Why should EVO allow him gain benefits from their platform when he insulted a large portion of EVO's patrons?

The game needs to be removed period to show that there are strong consequences for bad behavior, just like we have seen EVO staff do to other members in the community. Think about it this way: would a $300 dollar speeding ticket affect a millionaire the same way the same ticket would affect someone who can't even pay the ticket if they got it? Nope. That's why consequences need to be equivalent to the circumstances a person is at.

I'm one of those black Evo patrons he insulted. I'm fine with banning him personally. I want HIM banned.

I wouldn't get extra vindication out of Skullgirls being banned, though. I simply don't agree that Skullgirls is just HIS game. It belongs to the players now. The FGC operated for years without dev involvement. This just happens to be a game where the dumbass dev comes from the FGC. Fuck him.

Banning the game is not a meaningful gesture, especially when you know he did work on almost EVERY GAME in this year's online lineup. He helped with KI. We banning that too? Them's Fightin Herds? A Z-ENGINE GAME. We just gonna have one open bracket at Evo this year because of one asshole?

I don't want this fool slapped on the wrist either, but we need a solution that punishes him more than it punishes the community.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want this fool slapped on the wrist either, but we need a solution that punishes him more than it punishes the community.
but just banning him especially right now is a slap on the wrist, he doesn't lose anything from it and it's not a good punishment. So what do you purpose? What is an acceptable punishment than if removing the game is a step to far?

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
"don't remove skullgirls!"

It's one event. One. its not people saying delist it from purchase.
its not people saying from all events.

people are saying it to make a point that no one is above repercussions. The sg community will still exist without this evo.
It's existed without ANY of them.

Black people are STILL getting killed by cops. "jokes" like this need more than a minor slap on the wrist.

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of those black Evo patrons he insulted. I'm fine with banning him personally. I want HIM banned.

I wouldn't get extra vindication out of Skullgirls being banned, though. I simply don't agree that Skullgirls is just HIS game. It belongs to the players now. The FGC operated for years without dev involvement. This just happens to be a game where the dumbass dev comes from the FGC. Fuck him.

Banning the game is not a meaningful gesture, especially when you know he did work on almost EVERY GAME in this year's online lineup. He helped with KI. We banning that too? Them's Fightin Herds? A Z-ENGINE GAME. We just gonna have one open bracket at Evo this year because of one asshole?

Being African American, I have a slightly different take. I would ask what game is he most prominently known for of those you mentioned? I would assert that it's Skull Girls? What stream did it happen on? Skull Girls. While he may have provided ancillary support to the other games mentioned they are not as intrinsically associated with him as Skull Girls is.

Them's Fighting Herds utilizing the Z-Engine in their game is not as direct a link to Mike Z as his brainchild Skull Girls is from a PR/Sales/Marking perspective. It would be tantamount to calling Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition Clockw0rk's game or better yet calling Death Stranding Herman Hulst's game which is nonsense.

The timing, his statements, his extremely close connection to Skull Girls and his potential violation of Lab Zero Games Code of Conduct all could make this a PR nightmare for EVO. The question is do they risk it or do they distance themselves?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

Of all of those, Skullgirls is still his game. He's still implementing updates for it and I'm sure he was hoping to get a big sales boost from EVO, too.

If the community doesn't get to play the game at EVO because of his antics, so be it. The community can be pissed at him for his godawful excuse of a joke wrecking things and he can face actual consequences beyond "oh, he can't commentate at this online-only event."

Skullgirls doesn't need EVO for the community to feel validated.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
The kicker is that even if people downplay it, EVO is still the largest fighting game event out there, to the point where many big Fighting Game releases are announced them a-la Quakecon and Blitzcon. There's still a good amount of "Validation" people can get from Evo, such as with Melee all those years ago (which also was a year Skullgirls almost got in, but wasn't able to thanks to Injustice basically buying the spot over). Because Skullgirls is basically a wide and diverse community, removing it from EVO doesn't hurt the community. as much as it ruins publicity.

On the other side, Skullgirls doesn't need EVO at all to exist.
There's many other events that can, will, and already has hosted them, such as Combo Breaker. The significance of EVO is basically that it's shining a rare spotlight on the game that it would usually not get due to the nature of this new Online EVO, and people are feeling that major-burn of the idea of losing that spot thanks to Mike Z's horrid comment. To make it worse, Mike Z basically is the face of the series and also the man who's behind the development of it as well. It's hard to kick him off the company/game, and if they do, who knows where future Dev stuff for Skullgirls will go (or if Lab Zero would even make anything else in the fighting game market)

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Being African American, I have a slightly different take. I would ask what game is he most prominently known for of those you mentioned? I would assert that it's Skull Girls? What stream did it happen on? Skull Girls. While he may have provided ancillary support to the other games mentioned they are not as intrinsically associated with him as Skull Girls is.

Them's Fighting Herds utilizing the Z-Engine in their game is not as direct a link to Mike Z as his brainchild Skull Girls is from a PR/Sales/Marking perspective. It would be tantamount to calling Final Fantasy XV: Pocket Edition Clockw0rk's game or better yet calling Death Stranding Herman Hulst's game which is nonsense.

The timing, his statements, his extremely close connection to Skull Girls and his potential violation of Lab Zero Games Code of Conduct all could make this a PR nightmare for EVO. The question is do they risk it or do they distance themselves?

I'm Black American too. I'm not denying Mike Z is more closely tied to Skullgirls than KI and Them's Fightin' Herds. And I'm not denying that Mike Z is (rightfully or wrongfully) seen as THE creator of Skullgirls. I'm not denying that it is the game he is most known for. I just don't agree that it's just HIS game now.

Evo needs to ban him. Lab Zero needs to fire him.

OP
OP
Professor Beef

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
even as the #1 dullgirls hater on this forum, i don't think i could cosign dropping the game from EVO

i mean, i would definitely understand why, but my feelings are that it would be less of a punishment for mikez and more of a punishment for the community
To be clear, MikeZ has clarified that he was wrong to say "too soon". He tweeted this shortly after the apology.

"I did say I'm not a good speaker, and it's extra hard when you're crying and very aware that everyone will judge every word. I don't think it's fine, ever."
being bad at speaking isn't an excuse for the types of things he's said

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
but just banning him especially right now is a slap on the wrist, he doesn't lose anything from it and it's not a good punishment. So what do you purpose? What is an acceptable punishment than if removing the game is a step to far?
Oh, so you're personally the one responsible for punishing him? Since when was punishing people your job? I didn't realize that was your responsibility?

I mean, they guy's ruined his reputation, probably his career, and probably some friends, all overnight. That seems to be a pretty severe and natural consequence for his actions already. Why go out of your way to "punish him"? Is it because that's not satisfying enough for you?

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Oh, so you're personally the one responsible for punishing him? Since when was punishing people your job? I didn't realize that was your responsibility?

I mean, they guy's ruined his reputation, probably his career, and probably some friends, all overnight. That seems to be a pretty severe and natural consequence for his actions already. Why go out of your way to "punish him"? Is it because that's not satisfying enough for you?
Alright now this is hokey. Of course people need to be punished, the idea is to get a message across. I think banning him from all EVO's should do that just fine.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its not up to me on what happens, I'm just one guy but it has to be severe and I'm not convinced that it is by just banning him. Like it or not he's the face of skullgirls and him doing this hurts the community and the look of the game.
I don't have a solution for RIGHT NOW. You can ban his ass FOREVER though and I would be fine.
That is fair, i just wanted your perspective.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Imo, hold MikeZ himself accountable, not the skull girls community. Ban him from EVO and all the other majors, lobby for him to be fired from lab zero if you want.

Unless the skullgirls community has a history of this kind of behavior that MikeZ showed with this incident.

And i don't even like skullgirls and wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Alright now this is hokey. Of course people need to be punished, the idea is to get a message across. I think banning him from all EVO's should do that just fine.
But the question is banning the game, isn't it? Banning him from EVO would be a more appropriate. And honestly, a bit ironic for this EVO all things considered.

Aside from that though, I disagree with the idea that random people with no real relation to the situation at hand should be going out of their way to "punish" people through internet vigilantism. Doubly so when such vigilantism affects other people. Though, that's because I simply don't trust pitch-fork mobs to make fair and reasonable judgements. Mobs tend to be more sadistic than just.

I'd rather the natural and normal consequences of someone's actions 'punish' them. And at the moment, it does look like they're consequences -- judging by the firestorm of conversation MikeZ started; that does seem to be happening at the moment.

Anyone who think's it's their "role" to punish someone over the internet for saying something hurtful is insane. It's not your role to ensure "justice is served" or that a "message is sent." If any punishment occurs, it's up to the people involved to decide. His friends he was streaming with, the fans watching the stream, the skullgirls community, and in principle EVO whose hosting him, to decide what needs to happen. Some random person on resetera that barely even heard of "MikeZ" should be not be trying to "punish people" because they heard that MikeZ said something extremely radical sensitive on a stream.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who accidentally drops their prefabricated dead nigger joke on stream, in the presence of a black person, does much worse off cam with only their white friends around them.

He watched the video of George Floyd dying and found humor in the white man choking him to death. That's powerful stuff to digest.

Everything about this post is legit but these are the two especially salient points that I hope everyone who didn't already know better takes notes of.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the question is banning the game, isn't it? Banning him from EVO would be a more appropriate. And honestly, a bit ironic for this EVO all things considered.

Anyone who think's it's their "role" to punish someone over the internet for saying something hurtful is insane. It's not your role to ensure "justice is served" or that a "message is sent." If any punishment occurs, it's up to the people involved to decide. His friends he was streaming with, the fans watching the stream, the skullgirls community, and in principle EVO whose hosting him, to decide what needs to happen. Some random person on resetera that barely even heard of "MikeZ" should be not be trying to "punish people" because they heard that MikeZ said something extremely radical sensitive on a stream.
Your pretending that we are just saying it for the sake of it or that we are calling for his head and we are not fans and haven't followed fighting games for decades. We don't want the game banned but It seems you are more okay with him getting off with a slap on the wrist which is what a ban from this EVO is. Yes it's up to the people involved but that doesn't make this impossible to dicuss or what we can give our opinions.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Your pretending that we are just saying it for the sake of it or that we are calling for his head and we are not fans and haven't followed fighting games for decades. We don't want the game banned but It seems you are more okay with him getting off with a slap on the wrist which is what a ban from this EVO is. Yes it's up to the people involved but that doesn't make this impossible to dicuss or what we can give our opinions.
But, that's what we're talking about, isn't it? Like, a giant chunk of the posts in this thread are about demanding the game be banned from EVO.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
I find out about all the people trashing the game just because they put a Sonic Fox npc in one background that's not even there every time it loads the stage and think "Huh, maybe I should buy a copy of this finally."

Then like 15 minutes later I see this.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But, that's what we're talking about, isn't it? Like, a giant chunk of the posts in this thread are about demanding the game be banned from EVO.
Removed from this evo yes not in general, Skullgirls is a great game but its also in a big part Mike Z game which is why it should be removed or at least contimplated. Mike Z being banned from this EVO is not a punishment it's a slap on the wrist.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
User Banned (1 month): Inflammatory commentary, history of concern trolling and inappropriate comments
Removed from this evo yes not in general, Skullgirls is a great game but its also in a big part Mike Z game which is why it should be removed or at least contimplated. Mike Z being banned from this EVO is not a punishment it's a slap on the wrist.
"Slap on the wrist." So, again, between all the other crap he's brought upon himself, what exactly is the proper amount of "punishment" then until people are satisfied? Reading a lot of the post in this thread the impression I get isn't that people are trying to be fair and think of a good "punishment", but rather that people are being spiteful and want to make the man suffer severely, while not caring if it affects anyone else.

I'll admit though; the fact that EVO is online only this year does make banning him this year less effective. And again, I also believe random people on this forum who simply clicked on the thread shouldn't be sitting around deciding how to "punish" this guy.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019

Aside from that though, I disagree with the idea that random people with no real relation to the situation at hand should be going out of their way to "punish" people through internet vigilantism. Doubly so when such vigilantism affects other people. Though, that's because I simply don't trust pitch-fork mobs to make fair and reasonable judgements. Mobs tend to be more sadistic than just.

I'd rather the natural and normal consequences of someone's actions 'punish' them. And at the moment, it does look like they're consequences -- judging by the firestorm of conversation MikeZ started; that does seem to be happening at the moment.

For what it's worth I am personally in the ban from all EVO camp but the point people are trying to make is that yes SOMETHING has to be done. Attacking people's character by calling them insane isn't productive at all and doesn't actually address the issue at hand. Also you act as if people here are going to his house and whipping him or something. We're just talking about it. Also you have to understand that in most cases the "natural and normal consequences" don't ever actually hold someone responsible for their actions so that's a moot point anyway.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Slap on the wrist." So, again, between all the other crap he's brought upon himself, what exactly is the proper amount of "punishment" then until people are satisfied? Reading a lot of the post in this thread the impression I get isn't that people are trying to be fair and think of a good "punishment", but rather that people are being spiteful and want to make the man suffer severely, while not caring if it affects anyone else.

I'll admit though; the fact that EVO is online only this year does make banning him this year less effective. And again, I also believe random people on this forum who simply clicked on the thread shouldn't be sitting around deciding how to "punish" this guy.
I wish you would read but you are not and you are pretending that we have a say in what happens. WE DON'T but that doesn't mean it's ok If he's only banned from online EVO than really he got away with being a racist asshole. You pretending like I am handing down punishment when it's my opinion. Here's my opinion if they don't ban him from EVO for the long term than Skullgirls should be removed from this years EVO and if they don't do either of those than that shows the FCG really doesn't give a shit and is willing to give him a pass.

h0mebas3

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Black American too. I'm not denying Mike Z is more closely tied to Skullgirls than KI and Them's Fightin' Herds. And I'm not denying that Mike Z is (rightfully or wrongfully) seen as THE creator of Skullgirls. I'm not denying that it is the game he is most known for. I just don't agree that it's just HIS game now.

Evo needs to ban him. Lab Zero needs to fire him.

I think your statement about getting the other games pulled in addition to Skull Girls is disengenuous--those other titles were not connected to Mike Z directly at the time of this incident. If he did have questionable tendencies/views they may not have been manifest at the time of his involvement in said projects--I can't imagine Them's Fighting Herds if their Kickstarter was today saying they would use Z-Engine regardless of his statements.

As he does most of the PR, he is listed as Designer/Programmer and has been the frontman for the game it's hard to argue it's not his game from a public perspective. I think that is what could get the game pulled from EVO.

Even if Lab Zero fired him and issued a public statement, you can't argue the negative stigmatism would still hover over the game.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I wish you would read but you are not and you are pretending that we have a say in what happens. WE DON'T but that doesn't mean it's ok If he's only banned from online EVO than really he got away with being a racist asshole. You pretending like I am handing down punishment when it's my opinion. Here's my opinion if they don't ban him from EVO for the long term than Skullgirls should be removed from this years EVO and if they don't do either of those than that shows the FCG really doesn't give a shit and is willing to give him a pass.
Right now there is a 10VS10 in Granblue Versus, Team Arcsys VS Team Capcom, and that fucker ChrisG is on team Capcom. As long as you have some friends well placed, you're fine, even if you're a racist asshole.

In the case of MikeZ, it may be too much for them to ignore it, so we'll see.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think your statement about getting the other games pulled in addition to Skull Girls is disengenuous--those other titles were not connected to Mike Z directly at the time of this incident. If he did have questionable tendencies/views they may not have been manifest at the time of his involvement in said projects--I can't imagine Them's Fighting Herds if their Kickstarter was today saying they would use Z-Engine regardless of his statements.

As he does most of the PR, he is listed as Designer/Programmer and has been the frontman for the game it's hard to argue it's not his game from a public perspective. I think that is what could get the game pulled from EVO.

Even if Lab Zero fired him and issued a public statement, you can't argue the negative stigmatism would still hover over the game.

You have my answer to all of that in the first paragraph of my post you quoted. Like you just ignored all of them qualifying statements to argue about some shit I don't even disagree with. My only point is in the FGC the games belong to players more than the devs. Fuck the devs. Capcom abandoned ST and 3S years ago. We still play it regardless. Nintendo abandoned Melee years ago. It's still a staple. Evo ain't about the devs.

And I really don't care if a negative stigma hovers over the game after Mike Z gets banned and fired. Let there be a negative stigma. I want the community to send a message that Mike Z's behavior is intolerable, not to sweep that shit under the rug. Keep all the negative stigmas forever.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right now there is a 10VS10 in Granblue Versus, Team Arcsys VS Team Capcom, and that fucker ChrisG is on team Capcom. As long as you have some friends well placed, you're fine, even if you're a racist asshole.

In the case of MikeZ, it may be too much for them to ignore it, so we'll see.
I know, it's frustrating though.

DiceyRobot

Oct 26, 2017
Is he also involved in Indivisible? I was literally just looking into that game, but if he's part of it, I'm going elsewhere.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Imo, hold MikeZ himself accountable, not the skull girls community. Ban him from EVO and all the other majors, lobby for him to be fired from lab zero if you want.

Unless the skullgirls community has a history of this kind of behavior that MikeZ showed with this incident.

And i don't even like skullgirls and wouldn't miss it if it was gone.

I think its to do with whether or not hes currently making money from the game being there? I don't think there was ever a talk of removing Counter Strike after the games co-creator Cliffe was a convicted sex offender.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
There's some sadness to a game like Skullgirls, one championed by so many PoC (myself included) and non-binary folks and developed by a very open and diverse dev team (not Mike), getting banned because Mike is a total shithead. I get why people feel it's necessary, it just sucks that he's tied to this particular game.

It is what it is, but the idea of it still makes me sad.

Same thing with Indivisible.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I'm a queer person who loves seeing LGBTQ+ representation in games, and Lab Zero Games has given that in their games (including Skullgirls). That being said, fuck MikeZ and fuck Skullgirls being at Evo. Examples need to be made. Perma-ban Mike and take Skullgirls off this year's list of games. Does it suck for the rest of the team? Yes. Does it suck for Skullgirls players? Yes. But a black man was murdered by white cops in front of an audience and the face of that game thought it was funny. No amount of pouring your heart into that game as a developer or a player is ever going to matter as much as that murder that MikeZ found humor in. And frankly I'd like to see the teams he worked with on other games (KI for example) come out and denounce him.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Jesus.

I'm not really involved in the FGC. I don't know Mike on a personal level or as a personality, so I won't make any assumptions on him and certainly wouldn't presume to tell anyone how they should feel about this, but he needs to do better. That joke fucking sucks and so does his public apology.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
But we do have a say. We're the public opinion, and public opinion is important. You're right that we don't have direct influence and that, by itself, a ban from an online EVO is weak. That said:

For what it's worth I am personally in the ban from all EVO camp but the point people are trying to make is that yes SOMETHING has to be done. Attacking people's character by calling them insane isn't productive at all and doesn't actually address the issue at hand. Also you act as if people here are going to his house and whipping him or something. We're just talking about it. Also you have to understand that in most cases the "natural and normal consequences" don't ever actually hold someone responsible for their actions so that's a moot point anyway.
Fair enough on the calling people insane. But when you say "you act as if people here are going to his house and whipping him or something": I'm willing to bet a lot of posters here, if given the chance, would actually do that. We can ask the people here: Anyone whose in this thread and upset: Would you go and beat the shit out of MikeZ if given the chance to do so consequence free?
I'm willing to bet a lot of people would.

You might think I have a low opinion of people in general, but I think a lot of people here would jump at the chance if given. If nothing else, what you're asking for is actually not extreme compared to what other people are asking for in this thread. In this thread we have people asking for a permanent ban of both him and Skullgirls from EVO, along with: Him being fired from his job, his friends abandoning and denouncing him, and there have been comments implying one should boycott the game's he's known for -- including Indivisible which is actually respected for being multicultural. Reading the post's here, it comes off as people wanting to completely destroy the man's life, forever, and erase everything he's ever done. That's quite a bit more extreme than what you're personally proposing.

Jonathan Lanza

Feb 8, 2019
Fair enough on the calling people insane. But when you say "you act as if people here are going to his house and whipping him or something": I'm willing to bet a lot of posters here, if given the chance, would actually do that. We can ask the people here: Anyone whose in this thread and upset: Would you go and beat the shit out of MikeZ if given the chance to do so consequence free?
I'm willing to bet a lot of people would.

You might think I have a low opinion of people in general, but I think a lot of people here would jump at the chance if given. If nothing else, what you're asking for is actually not extreme compared to what other people are asking for in this thread. In this thread we have people asking for a permanent ban of both him and Skullgirls from EVO, along with: Him being fired from his job, his friends abandoning and denouncing him, and there have been comments implying one should boycott the game's he's known for -- including Indivisible which is actually respected for being multicultural. Reading the post's here, it comes off as people wanting to completely destroy the man's life, forever, and erase everything he's ever done. That's quite a bit more extreme than what you're personally proposing.
You're not really saying anything.
You just made a judgement call on people's character. I don't think it's particularly important what your opinion on a bunch of random strangers on the Internet's personality is. Just because you say people are extreme and unreasonable doesn't mean they actually are.

There's really nothing to discuss about your opinion. If you just wanted to vent then you do you but you've made 0 points whatsoever.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped listening at "would it be fair to say, that uh..."
I just couldn't, too cringy.

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
During the 1948 summer olympics, Japanese and German athletes were not able to compete as their countries were not invited. It didn't matter that they trained hard or weren't involved in any war, what matters is sending a message.

Skullgirls not being in the 2020 EVO tournament would send a great message, that the gaming community does not tolerate racism, no matter how casual or 'funny' or 'too soon' it may be.
The world we live in is at war. Not only with a deadly virus, but with something far more detrimental to human quality of life; racism. In the war on racism there will be casualties. Not being able to play your favourite game at a tournament will be such a casualty, but MikeZ brought it onto himself and his fans/community.