• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does the next mainline Mario game get announced by the end of the year?

• Yes

Votes: 384 66.1%
  • No

Votes: 197 33.9%

• Total voters

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I would expect any and all future Mario games to be announced during Nintendo Directs.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The little look over to the offscreen PR person to make sure that was a vague enough answer really makes the clip.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A more accurate translation of what Miyamoto actually says in the video:

"As you know, I can't make any announcements ahead of time. We usually have Directs once every two-to-three months, so please look forward to one soon enough. (Laughs.)"

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, so they'll announce the next Mario game during a Nintendo Direct? NO WAY!!!!

This is a non-answer.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
We're getting a new Mario with the new system. Hopefully that's sooner than later. Miyamoto said nothing here.

Deleted member 108302

Jan 29, 2022
8QucVaI.png

That being said I'm very excited for the next game

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
A more accurate translation of what Miyamoto actually says in the video:

"As you know, I can't make any announcements ahead of time. We usually have Directs once every two-to-three months, so please look forward to one soon enough. (Laughs.)"
Yeah, it feels a little less like a non answer. Also he learned his lesson from his pikmin 4 announcement lol

Nadam23

Oct 8, 2019
I think it's more than you all are saying. Everything lines up with the movie, Switch 2, etc. And the direct translation pretty much says it could be announced in the next direct, which would be this summer.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Until I see evidence to prove otherwise, I choose to believe that Mario has transitioned from a video game series to a film series. There are no more Mario games, Miyamoto is just afraid to break it to you.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Well the translation is worded in a way that pretty much confirms a June(or Summer) direct, so thats nice

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
the time is right

I assumed we'd be getting Odyssey 2 but with how long it's been + some of the ideas Bowser's Fury was flirting with, could easily see the next entry being something brand new

AvianAviator

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Jun 23, 2021
This is the most nothing answer ever

But the movie did just come out, so we'll see. Maybe they have something planned, I'm not gonna start hoping for it yet.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
It'd make sense for the next 3D Mario game to be announced for the Switch 2, but only if it's coming this year or next year, if it's coming in 2025, maybe they'd just release it on Switch this year. Bear in mind they haven't made a new 2D Mario game either, thus it stands to reason that they could just not release a 3D Mario game this year, or even announce it, but a 2D one.

Edit: Also, where else would a new Mario game be announced? Probably not at the end of the movie, that's probably reserved for a tease for a sequel and "future Nintendo Directs" doesn't give a timeframe, it can be from the July one to any before the heat death of the universe.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Switch 2 launch title. Mark my words.
Well, that would leave us with a few options: announced this summer, along with the Switch 2 reveal; announced this summer with no Switch 2 reveal, but cross-generational; or not announced this summer and perhaps saved for a Switch 2017 Presentation-like showing.

Not sure which I would expect, though probably not the first one.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
The answer is actually a bit more telling than I thought.
I wonder how the Mario franchise will be influenced by the movie, going forward. The movie seems closer to 3D World than Odyssey for example, but at the same time I can't see them parting from the Odyssey formula. That shit is addicting.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Understood. Anything other than Paper Mari: The Thousand Year Door would be disappointing.

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like it's a huge mistake to not drop a new Mario game for cross-promotion with the movie, but I am not good at economics so who knows, maybe the existing evergreens on Switch can just keep selling.