• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Cast Away

1*kHs1c4rzk9IDHdxivVuBJw.jpeg

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I'll admit, I actually cry a lot during movies. I tend to give myself to the experience of the story being told in any media, and I'm an empathic person in general, so it's a 1-2 punch for me.

Also, why did I come into this thread at work, and actually watch stuff? We have an open office. What a fool I am.

Same, if it's not to be 100% ingross by the art then why bother, I let myself completely vulnerable. I don't hold back LOL

On topic, The green lime. At multiple time, either by joy, but mostly through sorrow.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
this scene from The Theory of Everything wrecked me

i also cried like hell during the ending of Inside Out

and i dont know if i made it to tears, but the ending of Arrival made me really emotional

junk

Nov 1, 2017
This caught me off guard back in the day, but Keanu's eulogy for Lil' G in Hardball. Maaaaaan...

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we're branching out to tv, I finally got around to watching the Shield recently and Shane's ending hit me like a ton of bricks.

Dude, me too! No movie has EVER fucked me up like Saving Private Ryan did. I was embarrassed by how much I was crying when the movie was over.

Yeah, I didn't cry but it put me in a crazy haze for a while. Took me years to ever want to watch it again.

Private Mellish's death was just brutal to witness.

zerosum

Oct 27, 2017
Logan

I'm no stranger to getting a little misty eyed on occasion, but that was the one that got an actual, audible sob out of me...

I'm cool, I'm cool, little watery, but I'm cool... "daddy" ... ah shit...

giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
For a recent example not yet mentioned, a few bits of Leave No Trace, the dad doing the computer personality test and the last conversation the dad and the daughter have at the end, the 'the same thing that's wrong with you isn't wrong with me' one, really did a number on me.

Also the long take in the hospital in Roma and the video messages in Interstellar, which have been mentioned.

And for some reason, the Lacrimosa/birth of the universe sequence in The Tree of Life, which I can't really explain.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Lot of good ones in here. Space movies have an advantage on it with me. The scene posted earlier from Interstellar. I also teared up with Moon's "I wanna go home." The end of LotR got me like... 3 different times. But then again I cried reading the end of the books too.

Is it possible not to cry with Toy Story 3's ending?
I didn't, it was sort of bittersweet, and I thought the toys were gonna die just before that so I was kind of like, eh, okay, everybody's fine

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
T8zgIJI.jpg

I remember being dragged to see this movie with my family and relatives. This movie hit hard especially when I had to put my dog down a few years prior. A few people walked out of the theater before the movie could finish due to them getting too emotional. I had my hood on but I was a mess that had to look away as my family were sniffling and crying. I remember it all vividly and will never watch this movie again because I know it'll fuck me up again.

Yep, this is it. This is the one Jim.

Of all the films to make me cry, this one turned me into the biggest fucking mess. I literally sprinted out of the theater during that scene and before I could even get out, I was sobbing so hard I was literally in pain.

The hell was I thinking going to see this?!?! I think it was one of those things my family wanted to see and I had to go along just 'cause.

Besides this one, I'm not much of a cryer.

Although one other scene that comes close is....

This

This scene just destroyed me. Especially when I was younger.

Back in High School film senior class, our teacher happened to play something, a clip I think, that included this full scene.

I immediately got up, saying I needed to go to the bathroom, and proceeded to cry my eyes out for five minutes.

That was a very embarrassing moment.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boromir's Death.
As a book reader that scene was not written as emotionally as how it was in the film. The music, the acting, all top notch.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
I fight back emotion hard when other people, including my girlfriend, are around, but when I watch a film alone I became a huge crybaby with media as I hit my mid-20s and into my early 30s. I find it funny that Marc Maron, a really repressed and sardonic guy, says the same thing pretty often. There's a particular breed of us that are extremely stoic externally but just roiling with emotion throughout.

That said, the end of Lost in Translation kills me. Every time. It's not a sad ending nor a happy ending, it's just bittersweet and real. Life is a series of lives and the film points to that, fully extolling that who we are at 25 isn't who we are at 35 isn't who we are at 45, but that we are a multitude of people who maintain some sort of bodily continuity but carry it all with us all the time.

It's a movie I revisit every few years and it always reveals something new for me, some unseen facet of the film and my own life. I saw it first as a yearning 17-year-old, again as a hopelessly lovestruck 22-year-old on the same couch with a friend who would never feel the same for me as I did for them (on my birthday no less) which eventually doomed the whole relationship, again as a jaded 25-year-old nursing a lot of romantic wounds after a couple years of amazing highs and lows, and again as a 30-year-old in a very long-term and still intact relationship. I think I'm overdue for another watch.

Royal Tenenbaums: when Ben Stiller says it's been a hard year

This is a big one for me. That movie, top to bottom, is stunningly good.

For a recent example not yet mentioned, a few bits of Leave No Trace, the dad doing the computer personality test and the last conversation the dad and the daughter have at the end, the 'the same thing that's wrong with you isn't wrong with me' one, really did a number on me.

This is a really good, but indeed heart-breaking movie. It's handled so humanely, so gently, and there's really no sense of judgment of anyone in that movie. It's a lot of very broken people who cannot help their conditions and a lot of very helpful people just trying to do what's right for the broken. That ending is pitch perfect, too - you simultaneously wish it had come to anything else while knowing anything else would ring false.

I also LOVE that it's somehow rated PG. It feels like a great movie to show kids entering adolescence as a way of broaching a lot of very sensitive topics while still being materially appropriate and honest.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yeah I was shaken up but didn't end up crying til I got home.

"Tell me I've led a good life"

I think it's just the sustained intensity and realism that essentially just hit me upside the head and said "You think you're desensitized? HA!"

Now though I actually am desensitized to media violence. Not sure if that's a good thing. Certainly don't want to test it by watching real world death/atrocities. Fiction is quite enough.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shawshank redemption ending
Never thought I would die fighting side by side an elf part from RoTK
Ending of Brokeback mountain.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Toy story 3.
Cast away ending in the rain.
Lion king
Never ending story when I was a kid.
Return of the king
Pokémon
Homeward bound.

These are mostly taken from this thread. Lol. There's a lot more I can't think of tho

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a movie but this whole episode had me teary eyed. I was pretty depressed at the time

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Cast away ending in the rain.

People are very rightfully mentioning this scene (the whole movie is just magnificent), but that's not the end!

The ending is Hanks delivering the package he saved to the cute woman at the farmhouse then coming to a very literal (and on the nose, but beautifully so) crossroads, the rest of his life totally open to him. In the sun.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The end of Dancer in the Dark (that whole movie is soul crushing)
Guardians 2 ending
Logan
End of Evangelion (I wasn't sad, but I had tears in my eyes at a few points during third impact)
End of Green Mile (to the point that I can't watch it anymore)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service (the very end floored me, and it was the first time I had ever seen James Bond cry)

Fluffhead14

Oct 27, 2017
Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Magnolia.

"This is the scene of the movie where you help me out."

Miss that guy.

Also the last scene and shot of Magnolia cuts me to the core. Fucking love that film.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
The end of "ET" when ET touches Elliot's head and says "I'll be right here" and the music swells. Probably the first movie to bring a tear to my eye and gets me every time.