• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy out there.

e - The 10 car doing the smart thing and putting a good driver in the car as it goes green.... and it's yellow again.

Last edited:

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Livestream:

giphy.gif

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Without his mistake minutes before the red flag that allowed Alonso to pass him Nasr might have won the race. Because it doesn't look like the race will get restarted.

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
Bathurst 12 hours is tomorrow.

Also, if you have 30 minutes, here is Alonso going from 5th to 1st at Daytona.

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
double post...

Finally getting around to watching some more of Rally Monte Carlo. The windshield decals are terrible! You can't see anything from the onboard shots. I can understand it from the driver/codriver point of view, but it's terrible for spectating. Couldn't they go to a 20-35% tint instead of completely blacked out? I haven't followed WRC closely the last couple years, maybe it changes based on the rally?

[edit] or move the camera down, man it's unwatchable not knowing what is 50m or so ahead. Onboard rally is best rally :(
[edit2] ok, maybe a bit premature, the angles are better on some other cars, but wow that angle on the Ford is bad

Fvr5Nof.png

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
double post...

Finally getting around to watching some more of Rally Monte Carlo. The windshield decals are terrible! You can't see anything from the onboard shots. I can understand it from the driver/codriver point of view, but it's terrible for spectating. Couldn't they go to a 20-35% tint instead of completely blacked out? I haven't followed WRC closely the last couple years, maybe it changes based on the rally?

[edit] or move the camera down, man it's unwatchable not knowing what is 50m or so ahead. Onboard rally is best rally :(
[edit2] ok, maybe a bit premature, the angles are better on some other cars, but wow that angle on the Ford is bad

It's definitely an issue with the placement of the camera, a lot of the teams use a dashboard camera, here's an example from Ogier's Citroen (taken from Red Bull TV highlights):
KtgFQd9.jpg

chuckddd

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching the Isle of Man stuff years ago. Just too dangerous, like watching a snuff film.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IndyCar and Formula E this weekend, Formula 1 and MotoGP on the next. Feels good to be in racing season again.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1110115355144278022

Holy crap, that's some truly unsportsmanlike behavior. The "stuntman" biker punches the other guy (who didn't stop his bike as soon as he noticed the extra passenger) and he responds by pushing him towards oncoming traffic. They should've both gotten lifetime bans from the sport.

Wow, such idiots. Everything in that video is extremely dangerous. They have issues to solve, meet each other in the paddock if you need to. But attaching to the other rider's bike with the risk of injuring both of you and possibly others? Pushing the other rider on the middle of the track with the risk of being hit by other bikes? The fuck is up with these people.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Hey guys, do you know where can I watch Formula 2 and 3 online? I'm living in Germany and there's no channel (not even F1TV Pro) broadcasting the races.

Oct 27, 2017
They might have gone a bit too far with the curbs at the rallycross event in Abu Dhabi. A car just hit one and landed on top of another car.

They should leave them there for the F1-race.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
a little behind on WRC argentina, but saw that esapekka lappi had a big crash and found it on youtube.

jesus!

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Even with the fact that I usually don't like oval racing so much, Talladega is truly special.

On another note, the race 2 on WTCR today at Hungaroring was completely bonkers:

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Formula E keeps delivering, too, the race in Paris saw wet (hail, even) for the first time in Formula E history (shocking it hasn't happened earlier), and the result is one of the best races in any series of the past couple years probably (and it was stellar before the rain, already).

That also makes 8 different winners in the past 8 races for Formula E. For comparison's sake, Formula 1 had 8 different winners from 2014 to today.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On another note, the race 2 on WTCR today at Hungaroring was completely bonkers:

Just caught up on the WTCR races and holy cow, all races were fine but race 2 was something else. Non-stop action, and I suggest anybody to find a full version of the race because it's crazy all the way through, cut out half a lap for the purpose of a highlight and you already lost like 4 passes and side-by-side action. On the Hungaroring, out of all places.

As a side note, as I've been catching up on some of the weekend's races, the Formula 1 situation is becoming harder and harder to stand. Formula 2 produced good racing and tons of passes on Baku, Formula 1 had no meaningful action in the top 5, and not that much behind them either. WTCR can produce exciting races with unpredictable results in Hungaroring, be it dry or wet, while Formula 1 is always a train. Formula E keeps delivering insanely action-packed races with tons of different winners (both drivers and teams) even on tight street circuits: Formula 1 is unable to produce overtakes (let alone different winners) on classic tracks with a lot of room for passes. IndyCar almost never fails to produce quality races, we're lucky to have 1 out of 5 decent ones in F1.

Formula 1 produced 8 different winners in the past 80+ races. 3 teams won every single race of this era. Two different drivers won all the championships, and if we extend the calculation to the entire decade, it only goes up to 3 drivers. With the exception of the chaotic 2012 season, this decade saw only a handful of drivers dominate the entire seasons. The last decade was only marginally better.

I feel like the FIA needs to go back to the basics, find out why other series manage to live with the changing shape of motorsports while still providing excitement. Should cars be slower? Should their brakes be less effective? Should cars be more unstable? Should tyres be completely different? Should tracks be changed (trick question as other series produce good races in the same venues)? Should they mandate wet track at all times (another trick question, nowadays wet races are also very straight-forward, just with a couple more crashes)? Something needs to be done because F1's quality of racing has been going down the shitter, while "irrelevant" (comparatively) series like the WTCR provide more fun in a 12 laps race than Formula 1 in half a season.

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up on the WTCR races and holy cow, all races were fine but race 2 was something else. Non-stop action, and I suggest anybody to find a full version of the race because it's crazy all the way through, cut out half a lap for the purpose of a highlight and you already lost like 4 passes and side-by-side action. On the Hungaroring, out of all places.

As a side note, as I've been catching up on some of the weekend's races, the Formula 1 situation is becoming harder and harder to stand. Formula 2 produced good racing and tons of passes on Baku, Formula 1 had no meaningful action in the top 5, and not that much behind them either. WTCR can produce exciting races with unpredictable results in Hungaroring, be it dry or wet, while Formula 1 is always a train. Formula E keeps delivering insanely action-packed races with tons of different winners (both drivers and teams) even on tight street circuits: Formula 1 is unable to produce overtakes (let alone different winners) on classic tracks with a lot of room for passes. IndyCar almost never fails to produce quality races, we're lucky to have 1 out of 5 decent ones in F1.

Formula 1 produced 8 different winners in the past 80+ races. 3 teams won every single race of this era. Two different drivers won all the championships, and if we extend the calculation to the entire decade, it only goes up to 3 drivers. With the exception of the chaotic 2012 season, this decade saw only a handful of drivers dominate the entire seasons. The last decade was only marginally better.

I feel like the FIA needs to go back to the basics, find out why other series manage to live with the changing shape of motorsports while still providing excitement. Should cars be slower? Should their brakes be less effective? Should cars be more unstable? Should tyres be completely different? Should tracks be changed (trick question as other series produce good races in the same venues)? Should they mandate wet track at all times (another trick question, nowadays wet races are also very straight-forward, just with a couple more crashes)? Something needs to be done because F1's quality of racing has been going down the shitter, while "irrelevant" (comparatively) series like the WTCR provide more fun in a 12 laps race than Formula 1 in half a season.
I agree with every single point with you. I used to wake up in the middle of the night to watch F1, but today I don't even bother to watch the whole race even when it's live on a comfortable time.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with every single point with you. I used to wake up in the middle of the night to watch F1, but today I don't even bother to watch the whole race even when it's live on a comfortable time.

I had to watch one or two races this season on DVR because I was not at home when the races went down. I skipped a lot of the races because... well, nothing was happening. They were just following each other in the usual 2-3 seconds at best, with no overtakes in sight, no pit stops in sight (most races are 1 stoppers so not even much of a pit excitement anymore), so... why would I not skip the actionless parts? I realized I can watch the Formula 1 race in like half the time or less. This weekend I watched it live again and... it was kinda atrocious not being able to fast forward the usual second half of the race in which the top 5 follow each other closely without ever making a slight attempt at an attack. I'm a huge fan of F1 and it's devastating for me that it became such a bore. I will never be able to have a sheer excitement, passion and support than what I have in F1 in other racing series probably, so while I root for Tarquini in WTCR, Power in IndyCar, Buemi in Formula E, etc., none of these come close to my passion for Ferrari in F1. But the races are so much worse in F1 it's not even funny.

I was talking about this with my fiancé a while ago, and she had a good analogy: The Walking Dead series on TV. While this season has been a return to form, the previous seasons have been boring. Not abysmal, not horribly acted, not ruined by outlandish scripts: simply nothing interesting ever happened, everything was padded out to infinity, character progress was halted for years. And well, this is exactly what's going in F1 right now. The races aren't abysmal in the sense they are badly organized. They don't look bad because the venues are great looking and the cars are fast and gorgeous. There is the premise for excitement given the speed, the stakes, the risk. But it just never materializes: 80% or so of the races are boring procession, another 15% are somewhat entertaining messes, but there's only maybe 1 race per year (the remaining 5%) that is a truly memorable ride from the lights to the flag.

If I didn't know any better, I'd probably take it. In the early-2000s I wasn't so distraught with the Ferrari dominance because I was a Ferrari fan and because I didn't know any better, but I did realize even then how most races were not entertaining at all. And yet, even then we had more winners, more chaos races, more overtakes, more strategy shenanigans (anything from 1 to 4 stops was good), less reliability and more unstable cars meant more twists... but this is all gone. Then, to get back to the theme of the thread, I get home on a Sunday night, check out the Formula E race I missed on DVR, and I see these Formula 1-esque cars produce a cracking race in a tight street circuit, both during its dry phase and especially so when it rains. Another different winner, another dozens of great battles and passes, a crazy championship situation with yet another leader now... and it makes me sad, in a way, because I know I'll never feel the same passion for it that I do for F1, despite the fact it's a much better series.

Formula 1 needs so little to be good again. And yet, they are failing to provide the goodness, bar occasional almost accidental excellent moments (see 2010 or 2012, but even then the non-chaotic dry races were usually not very eventful). At this point I'd be content with F1 slowly fading away, with the top drivers moving onto other series with actual action and excitement. Seeing Alonso in IndyCar or the likes of Massa and Buemi in Formula E add value to those products, and show how competitive said fields are. Because when you have 2 drivers winning like two thirds of the races in a given decade, how the fuck do you get an idea of the value of a grid? Nobody bar the top 2-3 cars have the slightest chance to fight for anything meaningful, so how's it a race anymore? This is why series like WTCR, Formula E or IndyCar keep being exciting and fun, and this is why F1 became the equivalent of an old family member you're kinda obliged to check on from time to time, but you don't really like because of the outdated views and his/her boring way of being.

Oct 30, 2017
The next couple of weeks will be awesome. Tandragee 100 this weekend. Followed by the North West 200. And then the big one - the Isle of Man TT.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed the opening race of the W Series. Pack seems pretty close, cars are neat, and the race was pretty exciting with a lot of passing. It's also good to see a relatively high level race with fast cars with some "new" faces, too. Not sure if this is the series that pushes female racing, but it's entertaining so far.

Zoidn

Dec 23, 2018
MotoGP this weekend. I'm really hoping Quartararo can continue on from the performance from last time. Would be wonderful to see him on the podium at his home GP.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fun race in the W Series, the battle between Chadwick and Powell was exciting as hell. Really enjoying this series so far.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The Le Mans 24 Hours is two weeks away.

Should there be a dedicated thread this year or should we keep it in here? Considering the lack of competition in LMP1, and even LMP2/GT classes, it's not looking like a vintage year.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Le Mans 24 Hours is two weeks away.

Should there be a dedicated thread this year or should we keep it in here? Considering the lack of competition in LMP1, and even LMP2/GT classes, it's not looking like a vintage year.

Anything goes, really. If someone wants to dedicate time to make a quality OT, I don't see why not, but at the same time I expect limited interest this year. Even I who did not miss a beat for many years now will likely just keep the race on in the background without worrying about not sleeping at night.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Anything goes, really. If someone wants to dedicate time to make a quality OT, I don't see why not, but at the same time I expect limited interest this year. Even I who did not miss a beat for many years now will likely just keep the race on in the background without worrying about not sleeping at night.
I'll do the usual thread then. Been doing them since 2011 on the old forum and here, with a few missed years, and it's still Le Mans.

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd give so much to have 3 (or more!) manufacturers duking it out like it's been until a few years ago. Toyota being the only LMP1 team is so damn horrible, and it doesn't look the competition is gonna be stellar in other categories either :\