• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how people fall asleep at movies, it boggles my mind.
It really shouldn't. We've explained it tons of times in this thread.

Never.

Holy crap I had no idea people actually fall asleep in theaters.

How can you ever let that happen?
Again, several explanations offered throughout the thread.

It just seems like a lot of people in this thread have really bad attention span.
Is it that hard to imagine that a movie just might be boring?

Cross

Oct 25, 2017
It just seems like a lot of people in this thread have really bad attention span.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, ok.

I've fallen asleep while watching movies or friends have but it's like 2am and it's in my house. But in public, at a movie theatre, yea that hasn't happened to me or friends that I know of, it's just weird to me. But thanks for being you.

A person says they fell asleep because they didn't sleep the night before.
And your response is "my mind can't comprehend that".
What else is there to say?

I am a normal person, so this has literally never happened to me.
I really don't get why these passive digs are necessary. Even if you weren't in the theater almost everyone has fallen asleep watching something. Why the sudden "you're the weird ones" because it happened in a bigger room.

Deeks

Oct 27, 2017
I almost fell asleep during transformers: the last knight

Holy shit what a terrible film

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The most noteworthy instance of a movie that I slept through was Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones.
I think I slept through almost an hour of it in the middle - waking up for the noteworthy combat/battle sequences towards the end.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol I don't quite understand why the notion of falling asleep in a dark movie theater is shocking.

Is falling asleep during movie theater outings akin to missing the second coming of Christ?

It's just a fucking movie.

"YOU PAID MONEY. STOP GOING IF YOURE TIRED!"

It looks like it's just people who find falling asleep in public weird. Make sure y'all don't pass out on bus ride home you guys. And especially international flights.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Only movie I ever fell asleep in the theater for was the third star wars prequel. At some point I just gave up and closed my eyes. Woke up to a fight surfing in lava and went back to sleep again.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
I subscribe to the Abbas Kiarostami belief that sleeping during a movie isn't a bad thing and some of the best movies just make you wanna snooze. I'm a very sleepy person in general though, so of course I support this.

Uh, last one I remember dozing off during was The Handmaiden, which is an amazing movie that became even more atmospheric when I woke up a couple minutes later and had another chunk of missing info to puzzle through on top of the other 20 puzzles going on in that thing.

reelbigeddy

Nov 16, 2017
UK
Most recently Ghost In The Shell. Was on vacation, and holy shit do you Americans have some comfy ass seats. It was far too easy to nod off.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw 1, but only because I blew a bunch of Xanax in the bathroom before hand. Ah, high school.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not great with remembering movies but the one with Natalie Portman and the Jamaican alien. Slept through much of that.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thin Red Line. I'm a big fan of glacially slow films, but I'd just got into town after a fair bit of travelling and zonked right out.

I remember palm trees and John Cusack, but that's about it.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The revenant is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Been up 26 hours and was a little drunk. Got about 20-30 mins in and just crashed. Really a shame too because I really liked the book. Never have gotten around to watching it again for whatever reason.

out_of_touch

Oct 25, 2017
Skyfall and Dark Knight Rises. Skyfall was boring, DKR was good. I missed the scene where Bats climbs out of the pit :( I was so mad at myself

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yo the people acting like it's weird as fuck to pass out in a dark ass room in a giant comfy seat when you're dead tired watching something that might have ended up boring are killing me. I didn't know a subject such as this could create a superiority complex lmao. Hey it happens, I passed right out halfway through the second Hobbit movie. It was a long week, had already scheduled to see it with friends, thought I could make it, and my eyes had other plans. Shit happens.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I've never come close to falling asleep in the theatre. When I go it's mostly for a movie I'm excited to see. Even when it's a late showing I never doze off. At home however it's a different story.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I fell asleep during The Emperor's New Groove and Shin Godzilla because they were late shows and I was on antihistamines.

I fell asleep during Prince of Persia because it had been a long day and that movie is boring as all hell.

That's 3 out of like a thousand. I don't fall asleep watching movies, generally.

Tranquility

Oct 28, 2017
Braveheart.
In my defense, I had just come back from a one week field excercise during my military service, so I was pretty tired.

Oct 25, 2017
People that fall asleep regularly I just hope you don't snore...

As for me I've never fallen asleep at a theater, ok maybe at a drive in theater when I was young.

At home though for the life of me I can't stay awake during the old movie Clue, I've tried numerous times and have failed.
Maybe I'll stay awake for the new one coming out.

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
I worked a night shift, didn't sleep all day, and went to see Moana at 6pm. Missed the entire end. My best friend turned to me to say how great it was and had to wake me up. I also fell asleep during Reigns-Taker match at Wrestlemania last year, if that counts. Fell asleep during not one, but TWO Of Monsters and Men sets years apart. I'm just a sleepy girl.

TheKid

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
I fell asleep watching the force awakens and I felt soooo bad because it was with the family on Christmas. Watched it later on DVD and loved it.

Second movie I fell asleep watching was Justice league lol I don't regret that one

Zetaero

Oct 28, 2017
I fell asleep during the opening fight scene of Pacific Rim. I love mechs but that movie managed to make them such a chore.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The Thin Red Line
Blade Runner 2049
Beasts Of The Southern Wild
A Serious Man
Catch Me If You Can
The second Hobbit movie
Road To Perdition
It (2017)

There are definitely more, but I can't remember them all right now. The Thin Red Line was the worst though, I remember literally nothing about the movie and I still haven't watched it again since then.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The Thin Red Line
Blade Runner 2049
Beasts Of The Southern Wild
A Serious Man
Catch Me If You Can
The second Hobbit movie
Road To Perdition
It (2017)

There are definitely more, but I can't remember them all right now. The Thin Red Line was the worst though, I remember literally nothing about the movie and I still haven't watched it again since then.

That sounds like a lot wasted money.

Virtua Saturn

Oct 27, 2017
Lincoln. The best part is I thought I dozed off for 5 minutes but I was told I slept a whole hour. I didn't even notice.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Haha, ok.

I've fallen asleep while watching movies or friends have but it's like 2am and it's in my house. But in public, at a movie theatre, yea that hasn't happened to me or friends that I know of, it's just weird to me. But thanks for being you.

Agreed. Kinda crazy that so many people fall asleep. I find it really odd.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Fell asleep during the Dark Knight Rises. Not through any fault of the film, but because I was exhausted.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Anomalisa

Some context: I saw it on the last day of the festival I was working for, so I had been running around organizing stuff pretty much non-stop for a week. I was absolutely exhausted, but really wanted to see the film. The result? I fell asleep ten minutes in.

I made up for it by going to see the film again a week later and I absolutely adored it.

Oct 27, 2017
I tagged along with a friend to see Lone Survivor a few years back. I didn't really care about the film, I just wanted company and to be out of the house. Nodded off a little bit during that.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I don't think I ever have. I've never gone to a movie lacking sleep, don't do midnight showings, and they're too damn loud. I've been bored to tears with a few movies, though.