• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Mowgli: I enjoyed this more than Disney's The Jungle Book. While it was simple and didn't have much to say, and didn't get as dark as I had expected, it came in with more personality and a stunningly realized jungle they all live in. With the state of the art facial motion capture I felt these animals were unique and easily memorable. Great performance by Christian Bale, Benedict Cumberbatch, Andy Serkis, Cate Blanchett and the rest. ★★★☆☆

Last edited:

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Ok but green book was trash
lol don't get me wrong there are definitely some movies that belong in the bin, I just think the word is used too much to describe mediocre movies/shows.

No idea if Green Book is trash, but I won't go to bat for it based everything I read about it. and how it was made.

also Viggo is catching heat for his statement on the "n word"

Window

Oct 27, 2017
First Reformed:
giphy.gif

This was a lot more bleak than I expected and so the ending comes as even a bigger surprise. This is a difficult film to process. On the surface, it appears to be a simple film about a religious man struggling with the hypocrisy of his belief in his institution and the environmental destruction unfolding which it remains apathetic to. So a straightforward critic of Christianity (and other societal institutions) and theirs/our apathy to climate change. The film is (refreshingly) very direct in discussing this but it doesn't just preach. The dark depths which the pastor sinks below to though reveal something more sinister, a despair which arises within us beyond the expected (bleak) trajectory of the future. I am still grappling to understand and track the pastor's state of mind shifting throughout the film but I know this from the ending, despair and hopelessness will not deliver us from our self made demons.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mowgli

This shit was weird-looking. I could never look beyond the character designs, and some of the CGI just looks unfinished, it struggles to make live action and computer elements fit together. At times the CGI clashes with itself. In general the movie suffers from pacing and editing issues, it never builds up to anything and there's no sense of place. Does an awful job at establishing the locations it takes place in. Not sure if this is a problem in the editing room or if it means Andy Serkis should stick to acting.

That aside, this thing was bizarrely violent, gruesome and just even mean sometimes. Just WTF was WB thinking when they greenlit this?

Didn't like this. Disney's Jungle Book movie is far superior and a much more enjoyable watch.

swoon

Oct 25, 2017
You know what really grinds my gears? is when someone calls a movie they dislike trash. People have become so lazy with how they describe their thoughts after a viewing.

it's not any different than how everything is describe as great or how any above average movie is called an instant classic

Feb 10, 2018
I don't know what to see, creed 2, enter the spider verse or wreck it raph breaks Internet.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I saw Fargo finally. I'm starting to think the only Coen bros movie I'll ever actually love is No Country.

Feb 10, 2018

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Just watched Sicario 2. Really loved it, thought it was just as good or maybe even better than Sicario 2 (maybe it wasn't shot as well as the first one but no one can compete with Deakins). Taylor Sheridan knows how to write a intense and good movie man. really enjoyed the tension and the overall plot. hope they make a third one and i'll give this one a 8-9/10

Feb 10, 2018
Just seen spider verse,
What a cool new spin on the spiderman franchise, reminded me of the incredibles and other pixar/dreamworks movies a bit. The visual style is also great, I have not seen anything quite like it.It has some lined texture to the image which was a bit odd though. Story is more interesting then your average superhero movie, I actually think the story in spider verse is better then homecoming. It's certainly an original direction for the spiderman franchise, I hope they do more like it and not just stick to the stereotypical superhero movie tropes. 8/10

Last edited:

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Mowgli

This shit was weird-looking. I could never look beyond the character designs, and some of the CGI just looks unfinished, it struggles to make live action and computer elements fit together. At times the CGI clashes with itself. In general the movie suffers from pacing and editing issues, it never builds up to anything and there's no sense of place. Does an awful job at establishing the locations it takes place in. Not sure if this is a problem in the editing room or if it means Andy Serkis should stick to acting.

That aside, this thing was bizarrely violent, gruesome and just even mean sometimes. Just WTF was WB thinking when they greenlit this?

Didn't like this. Disney's Jungle Book movie is far superior and a much more enjoyable watch.

You sold me on this.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
I told David Ehrlich he was wrong because this is legit the best Spider-Man to date and yes I am including the cartoons too. I don't think I have ever watched a comic book movie like this and then immediately wanted to watch it again. I am about to bump some of the soundtrack. Currently, my #1 movie to beat so I hope Beale Street can deliver.
5/5 better than the MCU

Bumblebee
I hate for my review to turn up rotten on RT for this, but I wasn't feeling it. Super predictable and safe, with the best moments relying on a classic soundtrack and bumblebee being bumblebee. I will say this, the Cybertron stuff and G1 designs make me drool over a potential all transformers and no human movie.
2.5/5 but I am going to sleep on it before I type up a real review.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AssassinationNationredposterbig35994.jpg

Assassination Nation

Nightmare fuel. Basically got vibes of Spring Breakers, but more real and relevant and full of MAGA politics and how social media will kill us all. Clever modern day retelling of Salem witch trials. This is some bold stuff, pretty shocking.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
Just got out of Bumblebee. Decent movie, but I wish it was more serious at times. I found it had too many funny scenes, most unintentionally funny. John Cena's final line had the whole theater laughing at how cringey it was.

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade: A riveting mix of espionage, political backstabbing and subterfuge that gets delivered via an initially simple tale of a soldier struggling with PTSD, all delivered in that aesthetically gorgeous style that Production I.G and Oshii's team of regulars are so well known for.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Searching- great movie and I love the way the whole computer parts were made. Nice twist and good pacing.

Burning- movie is slow and long but enjoyable. The actors did such an amazing job, just perfect. The characters felt so real seriously A+ acting. It's a movie you should give it a watch.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017

Assassination Nation

Nightmare fuel. Basically got vibes of Spring Breakers, but more real and relevant and full of MAGA politics and how social media will kill us all. Clever modern day retelling of Salem witch trials. This is some bold stuff, pretty shocking.
One of my favorites of the year, in a year packed with great movies. It goes full disturbing Carpenter-esque action-horror in the final act and those were some of the most tense sequences I've seen all year

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Is it better to say foreign film or international film? The former seems extremely America-centric

Looks right up my alley. How do I see this ?
Going to have to wait for disc release/VOD. I don't believe it's in theaters anymore. It's releasing on the 18th

I really liked it. My thoughts from September
What starts as a pitch-black satire about privacy and such in the modern social media age turns into part suburban nightmare John Carpenter horror-thriller far more disturbing and messed up and real than anything in the Purge movies, part Revenge-esque allegorical war against misogyny and toxic masculinity. Stylish and brutal, well-paced and surprisingly dark.

Oct 26, 2017
Rented The Meg last night (or, as I like to call it, The Meg-kanic). I knew going in not to take it too seriously. I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised, especially by the first 30 minutes or so of "oh shit there's something down here with us." Once the shark gets loose, the movie does too, but then Statham the meg-kanic comes to the rescue to fix everything.

There was some discussion earlier about movies either being trash or instant classics and not enough love for those "middle of the road" movies. This is literally a middle of the road movie. There's some excellent insane moments (final shark battle is not as good as The Shallows but still entertaining).

Watched it for the pure fun of just popping in a mindless flick on a Saturday night.

Sep 12, 2018

Assassination Nation

Honestly Universal should have called this movie "The First Purge" instead with the tagline "See the events that inspired the annual tradition" and left that other meh movie as a pilot for the Amazon series.

Sep 12, 2018
Finally saw Sorry to Bother You (literally opened in Ireland the other day), as funny, strange and sharp as I expected it to be. The four other people in my local multiplex showing seemed to enjoy it too.

Schindler's List (rewatch, theatrical): Finally got the chance to see this on the big screen, and I must say that it's pretty darn good after all these years! While I'm still not a huge fan of the epilogue in terms of its necessity, dynamite as it is in terms of its enormity, it's hard to ignore that the previous 3+ hours represent some of the finest craft that Spielberg has ever committed to film, both for how much he moved away from his usual bag of tricks in the blockbuster business and how well he's able to take those valuable lessons from such films and apply them to a drama for some truly immense sequences. And it remains a testament to the power of editing that for as big a tale as it tells, with weeks and even months passing between scenes that it has such an incredible sense of pacing that the time flies by like it was an hour shorter than it actually is. I'll always prefer Blockbuster Spielberg to Dramatic Spielberg, but if he made more dramas like this, those scales would be far more balanced than they are now. Heck, this film is good enough to do a lot of the heavy lifting itself!

Oct 27, 2017
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade: A riveting mix of espionage, political backstabbing and subterfuge that gets delivered via an initially simple tale of a soldier struggling with PTSD, all delivered in that aesthetically gorgeous style that Production I.G and Oshii's team of regulars are so well known for.
I really, really wanted to watch this and fell asleep about 2/3 way through. I might give it another shot but man oh man did it fail to hook me.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
Quick on recent watches:

Miracle on 34th Street (47) **** I logged watching this years and years ago but I felt like I hadn't seen big chunks of it, I must not have been paying attention. Innately good and purely photographed. The way it draws together faith and imagination and the law and the economy is gently radical. Snappy dialogue and great acting.

The Favourite **** I feel like this does have sexual politics and power dynamics worth tracking intently on rewatch but this first time I could only really react to how hilarious it was. The cast is a perfect comic trifecta.

Magnolia ****1/2 First watch of this in six years after my enjoyment of Inherent Vice and Phantom Thread as the high point of PTA's career, and I stand by my adoration of this for being a messy melodramatic and ultimately well meaning act of uncut hubris. Openly, brazenly replicating canonical sprawling American epics from Robert Altman and D.W. Griffith: the incidental linkages forming a fabric of American society like Nashville, the narrative structure being that of intercut independent movies resonating invisibly across cuts. All that chest-puffing is in service of something truly welcoming and hopeful. "This happens. This is something that happens."

Coco ***1/2 I liked the dog and a lot of the music. Otherwise it's a simply warm mood in a vividly animated world, what's not to like.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Roma
I saw some discussion in this thread (or maybe another) about the juxtaposition of this detached sweeping camera and these intimate character moments, and I agree it's kind of a jarring effect but it worked for me. In a strange way, keeping the camera at a distance for so long and allowing you take in the whole canvas in these wide panning shots makes it easier to get immersed in these people's lives. When done well, the "no plot, just life happens" brand of movie get hit home really well for me, and while this didn't strike the same chord for me as, say, Boyhood, it was so engrossing and so well done that it's hard to even think about it as a movie... like what I can say about the performances? Or the script? Everything just felt real. I liked it all walking out of the theater, but the more I dwell on it, the more I like it. It's a strikingly good looking film too, and Cuaron particularly shoots the hell out of those protest sequences later on in the film, which were reminiscent of Children of Men. My only big issue with the movie -- why did Cleo let so much dog shit pile up for so long?!
8/10

First Reformed
I really like tortured spirit-and-the-flesh movies, and this one -- with echoes of Bergman and Bresson -- did not disappoint. Ethan Hawke's performance is definitely one of the best of the year, capturing a perfectly restrained rage at the hypocrises of the institutions he's devoted himself to, and he also delivers an excellent voiceover (which maybe seems like an odd thing to compliment, but a lot of actors are not good narrators!). Paul Schrader's screenplay is the real highlight for me though -- like a Taxi Driver reimagined for the climate change era, I was hanging on every word of this thing. One of my favorites of the year.
9/10

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Five Fingers For Marseilles
★★★½
A neo-western set in rugged post-apartheid South Africa, Five Fingers For Marseilles is ambitious and beautiful. I read a review on here that described it as a movie that goes from Stand By Me to Unforgiven, and that's pretty accurate. Five Fingers tracks the titular group from pre-title prologue, where they're a young resistance against Boer police exploiting their poverty-stricken "Railway" town, to 15 years later, when Tau, "the Lion", returns to town as a different man. Here, he finds the town in the group of new oppressors, former friends as dangerous threats, and painful consequences stretching back to a fateful act 15 years ago.

Five Fingers' characterization and emotional heft hinges on those consequences, how the characters have changed between childhood and now, but the crucial issue is that we never spend enough time with the group as kids to really get a sense of their personalities beyond surface traits or why their present fates are tragic. The other themes, such as the weight of violence or legacy or the lasting effects of colonialism, are much more effective, but the narrative suffers from the lack of connection with the characters.

However, purely as a neo-western, Five Fingers For Marseilles excels. The South African landscape is vast and gorgeous, and the aesthetic offers the perfect blend of modern (cars, bicycles, bare bulbs hanging, etc) and classic Western imagery (an isolated ramshackle town with a railroad passing through, a lawless land surrounded by rolling cliffs and hills, horses tied outside, etc). The silver-tongued cloudy-eyed outlaw boss known as The Ghost works as an effective antagonist with great presence onscreen. The homages to classic Spaghetti Westerns were fun too, such as Tau calling himself "Nobody" in town or the blood-soaked showdown that erupts in the finale (complete with a Wilhelm scream)

Support The Girls
★★★★
A day-in-the-life dramedy, Support The Girls depicts a single harrowing day at Double Whammies, a Hooters-esque sports bar, and it's one of those days: where the cable goes out, and there's an attempted robbery and the boss is being a particularly potent asshole, among other ceaseless emergencies and obstacles.

But what gives the movie its heart and its compelling nature, is the close-knit camaraderie of the women. Each character shines with distinct and lively personality, all hinging around their respect and appreciation for general manager Lisa. Regina Hall is fantastic in her role, that has her juggling motherly concern for the girls, dealing with disrespectful customers, struggling with her own familial issues, shifting from welcoming and professional to private despair to stern anger to self-reflection. That nuanced performance is a reflection of the movie as a whole, fun and charming yet never shying from the harsh reality of the grind.

What Keeps You Alive
★★★½
A decent thriller that excels with its rustic atmosphere, succinct plotting, moments of brutal violence, and well-spaced twists that always strike just when you're getting comfortable with the story. The performances and relationship drama are actually pretty decent despite the dialogue coming across as stilted. What Keeps Us Alive doesn't quite stick the landing (although the eventual ending is surprisingly satisfying) but when the movie is at its best, it's a very enjoyable mean little flick.

Jailbreak (Rewatch)
★★★★
I liked this much more upon second viewing. I can't recall the last martial arts movie I've seen where the plot was such a blatant excuse for people to just beat the crap out of each other. Even The Night Comes For Us attempted to jam a story and characterization into its second half.

There's a giddy earnest to Jailbreak's tone and blunt structure, throwing the central team of cops into large brawls and one-on-one showdowns, all filmed with long well-framed shots that make good use of the limited sets. The camera pans around fights like a kid in a candy shop, sometimes entering the POV of combatants to get even closer to the action. The director's excitement at showing us all these blows and grapples is palpable.

There's something refreshing about a fun yet well-choreographed action flick like this, that isn't oppressive like BuyBust or ultra-violent like The Raid or overstuffed with plot like Villainess or attempting and failing at more involved narrative like Night Comes For Us. Compared to its influences and genre ilk, Jailbreak never takes itself seriously; in fact it has a fair share of humor and slapstick moments. The combat is slick and weighty but never excessively brutal. The story has zero illusions about being nothing more than a framework for fight scene showcases of talented Cambodian martial artists.

Despite a plot so thin that "lean" doesn't even qualify, despite the abrupt ending and the handful of punches and kicks that clearly only hit air...Jailbreak works.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Continuing my Coen bros binge with Burn After Reading which I actually greatly enjoyed. JK Simmons is a treasure.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Made it out to see The Wife tonight. I mainly went for Glenn Close. Overall I thought the film dragged, and the plot was mostly predictable after the "twist" was revealed. There was really good acting though. I thought that Close game a great performance. She will definitely get an Oscar nomination, but I'm not sure if it will be enough to win. Overall- 6/10

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
One of my favorite anime films of all time, that soundtrack is killer.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
A Quiet Place - One of the most riveting survival thrillers I've seen this year since Annihilation
Hereditary - Well made slow burn horror movie
Sicario Soldado - Not as memorable or well written as the first

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Once Upon A Deadpool (2018) - 6.8/10. Uh, why wasn't this Christmas themed? Bizarre considering the release date and marketing. But if you like Deadpool 2 you'll like this; the wraparound is hilarious and the added humour acknowledges the new post-Fox context.

Edits are all over the place ranging from subtle to absurdly not. The new post-credits scene was super sweet.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw Kin and it was terrible.
Just saw this. It was enjoyable to me. Honestly I liked it much more than other movies of its ilk (Hunger Games, Divergent, etc.)

It was serious, somber(ish) and grounded in reality. I liked its grungy look and left enough mystery for a possible continuation while still coming to a conclusion.

I thought Franco was miscast. He didn't do a bad job, but I just can't see him in this type of role. Not a great movie, but these type usually aren't but I enjoyed it alot.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Mandy

First 40 minutes:
OF5tSdN.png

Rest of movie:
ZOEg0rp.png

The Villainess

The action is fantastic and really unique but I never got attached to any characters and the story is very point by numbers. It also becomes a soap opera for a bit there, which was really weird. Worth a watch just for the action, I'd say.

jordran

Oct 25, 2017
Widows, saw it last week and think I need to watch it again to actually work out how I feel about it, was a little disappointed in honest.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realise there's a movie on Laurel and Hardy coming, starring Steve Coogan and John C. Rielly no less:

Rielly is so underrated.

Granted, this doesn't look to be very good.

Last edited: