• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tiny Hawk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Me when the episode was finishing up:

dissapointed.jpg

For real though, I enjoyed the character development from Dom and Darlene in this episode. I'm glad they're both safe and heeding each other's advice. Also shoutsout to Irving for finding success with his novel, I missed that man.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
ok I'm typing this blind, but I think they're going to blow that plane up. like 2 minutes left.

edit: nope

Last edited:

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
When some directors subvert expectations it falls flat for me. Last Jedi comes to mind. When Esmail does it, the payoff is so emotionally satisfying it's crazy. The man is a brilliant writer.

This ending was like the reverse 'Garden State's and I loved it.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has panic attacks, I was totally triggered by Darlene having a panic attack. That scene was too intense.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Darlene and Leon are going to swoop into the last 5 minutes of the next episode.

Subvert that expectation, Esmail!

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
If only they didn't have the scene last week with Mr Robot telling everyone else in Elliot's head that Darlene might be the key to waking him up. Then maybe I would have believed that she might actually go on that trip.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt see that ending coming, but i liked it. The acting in this is phenomenal, and the good thing about not doing a 6 episode final season liek GoT is you can do character episodes in between the epic shit.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Loved it. Would've cut down the wealth distribution scene, though, bit on the nose.

I can't believe this show is ending. For those who don't know -- the last 2 episodes are being aired back to back on the 22nd. So 2 more weeks, and Mr. Robot will be over, forever :(

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
Damn, I'm heartbroken that Dom and Darlene didn't end up running away together. The scene with Dom running in the airport was a bit cheesy, but it worked. Seeing Darlene running the other way was pretty tragic.

At least they both sort of got happy endings for their characters. Darlene ended up believing in herself and Dom finally got some sleep.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
I was literally on the edge of my seat towards the end thinking the plane crash theory might come up. My god did it worked on me and loved it towards the end.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Damn so many twists at the end. Man I was gutted to see them both on different paths at the end, but when I saw both of their developments, I felt good...

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I personally loved the episode. While it was slower and didn't progress the "main plotline", it gave both Dom and Darlene great character growth. Really heartbreaking but beautiful episode.

Really impressed with Esmail. He just keeps delivering.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
The moment when Darlene conquers her Panic Attack, it's like I'm looking a different person. She's a fantastic actor, I truly saw the change take place.

I also think when she wears her glasses, it's her Mr. Robot moment, protecting her.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I respect what this episode was doing in a vacuum, but what a come down from last week. Plus, I have absolutely no investment in Darlene and Dom as a thing, so yeah.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Idk when we went all in on presenting Dom and Darlene as some OTP (where even other characters now comment on it), but somewhere along the line I bought into it just a little, got invested in their dynamic. I like how at first you're just thinking with rom-com tropes, how it's such a damn shame they didn't both get on that plane. But then ya quickly see that despite that, they got something far more rewarding as they both respectively got some personal growth. Especially Darlene. Her being prone to co-dependency is something I never really took note of, but it makes so much sense when you look at all her relationships throughout the show.

But ya, great episode. Y'all wild af though for thinking the plane was sabotaged or something, at no point did that cross my mind that they were in any danger after meeting Bobby's character.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one-sided nature of the Dom/Darlene relationship is critical to why the ending works. Darlene is into Dom. Dom never reciprocates that after the betrayal.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
Dang I just noticed we have literal Whiterose in this thread.

Irving being there by coincidence would be quesitonable writing but whatevs, doesn't bother me that much if there isn't more to it.

But if we don't see what's on that drive for one more fucking episode imma flip.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
So, I have a question for economists out there. I did some calculations using figures from here (yeah, I know it's not accurate, but it's just for the sake of the thought experiment) and if you divide the amount of money that the 0.1% has (the figure Elliot gives us) by the population of the US, the bonus amount of money that everyone is getting is about $43,090. Which, you know, is definitely not bad, but it wouldn't necessarily by a life changing amount of money. It depends on how you use it I guess. It might pay off debts, it might get you through college, but it wouldn't be enough for, like, cancer treatment. I think the show wants us to think it's a lot more than that, like $200,000 or maybe even a $1,000,000, but it's hard to tell.

So, my question is, what happens to the economy if this actually happened? Like, would inflation just rise up? And, of course, now that hte top guys lost their money, what would stop the tendency toward monopoly from just having everything accumulate once again? I almost feel like with this gone, the next logical step is for the wealthy, but not 1% wealthy would be to use their money to buy politicians and make laws protecting them so they can start accumulating wealth again. Or maybe it's the opposite and politicians would be harder to buy, but I find that hard to believe.

Elliots redistribution of wealth is a good thing, but it feels like it's something that needs to happen on a regular basis, or we'll just be back to the same place on a long enough timeline.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Dammit, another week with the iTunes upload being late. Wonder why the hell this changed now. I'm going to be angry as hell if the finale isn't uploaded on time.

Oct 27, 2017
So, I have a question for economists out there. I did some calculations using figures from here (yeah, I know it's not accurate, but it's just for the sake of the thought experiment) and if you divide the amount of money that the 0.1% has (the figure Elliot gives us) by the population of the US, the bonus amount of money that everyone is getting is about $43,090. Which, you know, is definitely not bad, but it wouldn't necessarily by a life changing amount of money. It depends on how you use it I guess. It might pay off debts, it might get you through college, but it wouldn't be enough for, like, cancer treatment. I think the show wants us to think it's a lot more than that, like $200,000 or maybe even a $1,000,000, but it's hard to tell.

So, my question is, what happens to the economy if this actually happened? Like, would inflation just rise up? And, of course, now that hte top guys lost their money, what would stop the tendency toward monopoly from just having everything accumulate once again? I almost feel like with this gone, the next logical step is for the wealthy, but not 1% wealthy would be to use their money to buy politicians and make laws protecting them so they can start accumulating wealth again. Or maybe it's the opposite and politicians would be harder to buy, but I find that hard to believe.

Elliots redistribution of wealth is a good thing, but it feels like it's something that needs to happen on a regular basis, or we'll just be back to the same place on a long enough timeline.

Yeah I'm curious about a lot of this as well. Also, only the Deus Group got taken out. So now everyone was rich but wasn't a part of that is on top.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I respect what this episode was doing in a vacuum, but what a come down from last week. Plus, I have absolutely no investment in Darlene and Dom as a thing, so yeah.
Yeah it just seems really forced. like there was really not any romantic chemistry, except the writers decided to have drama for this episode.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

the giving out money to everyone I thought was a great plot point. Yeah it focused some on their relationship but it was more to get away to safety, which could've been any characters.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Next episode is called "eXit". I assume because even Esmail couldn't figure out a way to use "Length Required" as a title.

Oct 26, 2017
I almost feel like with this gone, the next logical step is for the wealthy, but not 1% wealthy would be to use their money to buy politicians and make laws protecting them so they can start accumulating wealth again.

The problem is that the hack resulted in multiple overdrawn accounts. Add in the complexity of the fsociety video + data dumps exposing them, and you have a perfect storm of banks not pandering to the Deus Group (assuming they aren't already arrested or killed), and the Deus Group not having any immediate assets to take advantage of (let alone the difficulty in liquidating). In both cases, good luck finding any leverage over politicians.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I was literally on the edge of my seat towards the end thinking the plane crash theory might come up. My god did it worked on me and loved it towards the end.

YUP this is me lol. like every second when the song was playing I felt like something was up, but I'm happy with this development. Sam Email really is the goat.

icyflamez96

Oct 26, 2017
I think people are seeing too much "romance" in this episode. It's not about a romance. I don't feel you have to care about "Dom & Darlene" as a couple, but care about "Dom" and "Darlene" as individual characters, which basicallly every one does. And this episode did wonderful things for their characters. The end reinforces that heavily when it all led up to them getting over emotional hurdles on their own instead of being together.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Worse, if this show goes all SciFi on us the last second, and it's some Butterfly Effect shit where Elliot kills his mother in some time travel mumbo jumbo, thus he is never born. Or something.

I hope not lol.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A one-shot gift of $45K wouldn't really result in inflation. It'd just be a very nice holiday present. (the xmas theming suddenly makes a lot more sense)

It's related to why Bill Gate's entire net worth would fund the federal government for.... 8 days. A one-shot cash infusion doesn't change much long run, it's sustainable economic activity that provides a stable tax base large enough to fund the government, as money's generally taxed when it changes hands w/ the exception of property taxes.
Worse, if this show goes all SciFi on us the last second, and it's some Butterfly Effect shit where Elliot kills his mother in some time travel mumbo jumbo, thus he is never born. Or something.

I hope not lol.
Makes a billion times more sense for this to be the thing that Elliot's still not supposed to know even post-therapy session from hell.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Makes a billion times more sense for this to be the thing that Elliot's still not supposed to know even post-therapy session from hell.
If the show indeed reveals time travel exists, this could be Elliot's last FU to Whiterose.

(What if it's Whiterose instead that kills his own mother? This foreshadowing is too much. ESMAIL!!!!!!).

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
I might be mistaken, but it's kinda implied that the thing Mr. Robot isn't supposed to show "Elliot" yet is supposed to help the last personality wake up, wasn't it? I'm not sure how committing matricide would achieve that.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might be mistaken, but it's kinda implied that the thing Mr. Robot isn't supposed to show "Elliot" yet is supposed to help the last personality wake up, wasn't it? I'm not sure how committing matricide would achieve that.
The dream sequence back in Ep1 strongly suggested the current "Elliot" is actually a new alter. Which suggests the missing personality is OG Elliot, hibernating.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Speculating: if his mother enabled the abuse, it could be a very vigilant move to kill her in anger. His last personality could be evil/vigilant as fuck.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
The dream sequence back in Ep1 strongly suggested the current "Elliot" is actually a new alter. Which suggests the missing personality is OG Elliot, hibernating.

Yeah, I know that. Still don't know how bringing up how he might have committed matricide would do anything but make OG Elliot go "nope, nope nope, not going out there, sorry".

Speculating: if his mother enabled the abuse, it could be a very vigilant move to kill her in anger. His last personality could be evil/vigilant as fuck.

That's quite possible, yes. I mean, last personality was likely the one that wrecked the server room, and I suspect it's the one that shows up whenever Elliot goes all grandiloquent and/or manages to talk to people threateningly and looking them in the eyes.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A one-shot gift of $45K wouldn't really result in inflation. It'd just be a very nice holiday present. (the xmas theming suddenly makes a lot more sense)

It's related to why Bill Gate's entire net worth would fund the federal government for.... 8 days. A one-shot cash infusion doesn't change much long run, it's sustainable economic activity that provides a stable tax base large enough to fund the government, as money's generally taxed when it changes hands w/ the exception of property taxes.

I was thinking that the money supply wasn't really increased to begin with. They just transferred it.