• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I think a few people need to research 'Occams Razor'.

I came into this thread expecting a wishy-washy half assed statement that would give MS some room to manoeuvre for any sort of change in the near future.

That's not what we got. That statement is about as definitive as it gets.

It was never really a rumour grounded in reality anyway, and as far a I can see, Microsoft agrees.

I can assume based on what you said here, you have a specious understanding of what Occam's Razor is.

What explanation is being multiplied here?

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
People thought MS was going to just be ok with losing all that money? lol

Meanwhile NIntendo only recently started charging for online access, and it doesn't look like Sony has any plans to end PSN subscription.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As expected. They are not going to get rid of the Xbox Live subscription. If it was that much of a negative thing for customers then Sony would have had a massive backlash this generation for it.

Oct 25, 2017
If Gold stays, there is going to be a backlash.... but it's a backlash about a rumour and generalized belief spun from journalists, bloggers and forums. So .. they'll get roasted for nothing. Basically MS keeps gold, there is backlash. Sony keeps PS+, no backlash. THESE ARE WEIRD TIMES MAN.

At this moment, there has been a price increase on Gold from $60 to $100 a year, at least on Microsoft's own storefronts. That warrants a response regardless of what was or was not rumored.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I think they want it to be a mic drop moment but it's not oven-ready yet. GWG certainly isn't knocking me over with the quality of their games but to be honest, I am faux-spoiled by XGP.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If anything, MS may have just gotten rid of the yearly gold sub because then it forces people to pay for the more expensive 3 month sub x4 in a year.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As expected. They are not going to get rid of the Xbox Live subscription. If it was that much of a negative thing for customers then Sony would have had a massive backlash this generation for it.
True .X360 started it and was on top while doing it when ps3 was free and behind x360.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
If anything, MS may have just gotten rid of the yearly gold sub because then it forces people to pay for the more expensive 3 month sub x4 in a year.

As stated multiple times now... the yearly sub is still $59.99. I literally just got the email that mine is renewing for that price August 13th.

OP really should thread mark my original post in here which contains the contents of the email....

goons14

May 9, 2020
677.jpg

Does anyone else feel the reason they're able to say this is because they're gonna just have Xbox Live Gold, GamePass, and Xcloud all under one new banner going forward? Like, they already offer that under GamePass Ultimate but I wonder if it'll have a new name? Or maybe that's what the recent rebranding is doing?

I think this is the case. I swear I saw a list of features game pass ultimate had and gold was listed.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
MS Insiders like Tom Warren and Jez Corden are basically unofficial MS PR. They don't know anything MS doesn't want them to know but occasionally they overstep and make a bad prediction. In this case, they were totally wrong about online being free and should just take the L.
I never said Xbox Live Gold was going to be free.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Which is exactly what they would say if they were changing it soon.

It's also exactly what they would say if they weren't changing it soon.

Of course if they were changing it soon they could also say that they were changing it soon, thing that they would absolutely not say if they weren't changing it soon.

So you see if they weren't changing it soon they could only say that they weren't changing it soon, just like they said, but if they were changing it soon, they could say that they were or thay they weren't.

So the odds are 2:1 that they are indeed not changing it soon.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
If this ends up not happening, then how are they going to keep tiptoeing around Xbox console owners being the only ones that are required to pay for online gaming? It's a policy that is going to stick out like a sore thumb now that they're pushing for platform agnosticism.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
The least I expect is f2p games to not require paywall, that's embarrassing at this point. The other positive outcome for me would be adding gold to Gamepass at no additional cost (getting rid of GWG if necessary)

Last edited:

Wesker

Aug 3, 2020
The least I expect is f2p games to not require paywall, that's embarrassing at this point. The other positive outcome for me would be adding gold to Gamepass at no automakers cost (getting rid of GWG if necessary)

That is actually what I think will happen.
Microsoft loses too much money otherwise. F2P game players tend to spend more money in-game than Gold costs a month.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
*checks how much they make off Gold every year*
Definitely something they're getting rid of, for sure.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
If this ends up not happening, then how are they going to keep tiptoeing around Xbox console owners being the only ones that are required to pay for online gaming? It's a policy that is going to stick out like a sore thumb now that they're pushing for platform agnosticism.

Guess we'll see. This is the major reason why I think it will go away on Xbox. All of their messaging is pointed toward the experience being the same regardless of where you want to play, so mobile and PC not requiring Live while dedicated Xbox consoles do would significantly subvert that.

We'll see at their services conference for sure.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
The original statement essentially reads to me that Microsoft are clarifying that the TOS update doesn't relate to XLG.

The statement to Warren only says it isn't being discontinued.

Unless I've missed something, there is nothing here that precludes Gold becoming free.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I very much believe they'll combine all services sooner or later. But i never believed for a second they were killing the online paywall. I know everyone thinks MS is so rich they want to piss money away to make fans happy. But it's nothing but wisfull thinking. XBL is literally their bread and butter.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
So they are gonna charge more for Gold? That's a PR shit storm. Until they put the 12 months back up I'm not buying this. Things are changing and I don't think the Microsoft PR team would have any insight to this and are just annoyed with the twitter hammering they are getting. I love gamepass but the narrative will be ALL negative it they go that route no matter the value.

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe they saw that poll on Resetera where 90% of people said it wouldnt make a difference whatsoever in terms of even getting people to consider switching from Sony to Microsoft and they thought "Ah, fuck it then, might as well keep making money". And honestly why would they change it? Console gamers have shown they're willing to pay money to play online, they're conditioned to it in a way that PC gamers absolutely are not. It's not like dropping Gold is gonna make the Sony die-hards suddenly abandon their platform of choice, the Series X could give sensual blowjobs and vomit bank notes out of the disc drive every weekend and they still wouldn't buy it.

Mind you, they'll almost certainly drop the Gold requirement for FTP games to bring it inline with Sony, it's such an easy PR move that would probably barely put a dent in their Gold subscription income. I'm kind of shocked they haven't already, it's really misguided of them.

M0d3_M

Jun 29, 2020
Has the 12 month option been removed to prevent people piling on the years for the cheap £1 Ultimate upgrades that many people took advantage of perhaps?

M0d3_M

Jun 29, 2020
People are less likely to stack 1 or 3 month subs over a long period, just a thought.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they did have plans, they would probably correct the article to say that they don't, because those plans wouldn't be public yet.

Jul 13, 2020
Okay, with GamePass + XBLG, Microsoft Game Studios are going to be well funded for years to come. It's very bizarre where actual game *sales* are basically bonus.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Maybe they saw that poll on Resetera where 90% of people said it wouldnt make a difference whatsoever in terms of even getting people to consider switching from Sony to Microsoft and they thought "Ah, fuck it then, might as well keep making money". And honestly why would they change it? Console gamers have shown they're willing to pay money to play online, they're conditioned to it in a way that PC gamers absolutely are not. It's not like dropping Gold is gonna make the Sony die-hards suddenly abandon their platform of choice, the Series X could give sensual blowjobs and vomit bank notes out of the disc drive every weekend and they still wouldn't buy it.

Mind you, they'll almost certainly drop the Gold requirement for FTP games to bring it inline with Sony, it's such an easy PR move that would probably barely put a dent in their Gold subscription income. I'm kind of shocked they haven't already, it's really misguided of them.

Well said.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I never said Xbox Live Gold was going to be free.

Are you making a distinction between "Xbox Live" going free and "Xbox Live Gold" going free?

Semantics are important. The only questions that need to be answered are: Is Xbox multiplayer still going to be behind a paywall? If not, is Xbox F2P multiplayer still going to be behind a paywall?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The thing about the one year is truly bizarre. As noted, the 1Y plans are still widely available from partner retailers and etailers. They could be cancelled by the issuer on demand at any time, because they are not distributed on a prepaid basis, but are just codes with zero value until sale and activation.

But they haven't, as of yet, been pulled even from the largest sites and retailers around, which just leaves us with a truly mysterious, inconsistent situation.

They probably just stopped generating new codes so once the stock is sold out it's sold out for good rather than going through the trouble of recalling all of those cards.

Greent4

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I think we are giving insiders information too much thought
i'll wait until microsoft announces new changes.
Cant believe every rumor that pops up.