• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, this is going to end with free to play games not requiring Gold. Oh, what an earth-shattering announcement. What a bomb dropped on Sony.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not being deceptive. So far I've told people to be patient and to imagine Halo Infinite not requiring Xbox Live Gold. If people choose not to read my words carefully then that's their own fault :)
Sure. You clearly only meant 'Halo Infinite won't need XB Live Gold' with all your comments lately like these here:

zLrUOMr.png

Clearly the readers fault.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
that's what they would say though

(seriously stop hyping yourselves up for something that's not happening. this reminds me of the secret second gpu rumour in the run-up to xbo launch. no way microsoft is giving up such a large revenue stream lmao)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
idontbelieveyou.gif

No way something isn't up.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever happens, MS is not going to charge people more for playing online MP then they do currently.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
So you agree I never said it was going free. Great, glad we cleared that up.
I like you Tom, you're a good reporter. But come on, the sub header on your Xbox Gold article says "Xbox Live could still, maybe, go free". Idk if that is a separate author but don't act surprised when people are confused.

Oct 30, 2017
So as of now if you're not on auto renewal, you either pay too much for 3 months of Live, or you get on GPU to lock in gold at full price of 60 bucks more a year.

Hmm

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
best case scenario i can see is including gold in games pass but still keeping gold-only as an option. they may be removing the full year option for xblg to make the full games pass option more enticing

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
As it currently stands, it looks like they are removing the 12 month option to make GPU look more appealing.

If people are willing to pay it and Xbox is making a good profit then I don't think its going away

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Insult? I merely said if you had a good understanding of English then you'd be able to read what I've said previously. Like you said, maybe it's time for you to take the L.

Are you serious right now? Questioning someone's understanding of english because they didn't interpret your tweet the way you wanted? It's not him taking the L that's for sure

Oct 27, 2017
An alternative I could see is MS moving towards making its internally produced MP games be F2P with no Gold required, but a gamepass membership offering extra DLC that you normally pay for in a GaaS game. Halo, Gears, and Forza are all games where the single player and DLC content is legitimately enticing but if you get to try the multiplayer for free, that could be all you need to know if you want the full game.

If that works for them, I could also see third parties following suit and designing a free tier of the multiplayer with seasonal content packs. Pretty much every MP game is doing seasonal content anyways. If that actually happens, I guess that would make Gold eventually worthless but it would be gradual rather than overnight.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The gains come by lowering the barrier of entry then having more people play your games and buy dlc.
Yeah, no.

The real world doesn't work this way. The PS3 with its free online MP proved this. PSN had far less paid subs and digital platform revenue in general, despite free online.

Given how successful charging a fee for gamers to play online has been on consoles, to not do it would be commercially and fiscally irresponsible from a business perspective.

No matter how much of a good guy Phil is, he isn't putting his job on the line to take a $2Billion risk like that. Especially with all the money they're already sinking into GamePass to grow subs for that service.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they'd say that. They want to milk as many people buying subs before it's officially merged into Game Pass.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
"I'm not saying Gold is going away and F2P games are going free but wink wink nudge nudge stay tuned"

I technically didn't say Gold is going away and F2P games are going free, it is your interpretation of what i said, learn to read English. Lol

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
If Gold stays, there is going to be a backlash.... but it's a backlash about a rumour and generalized belief spun from journalists, bloggers and forums. So .. they'll get roasted for nothing. Basically MS keeps gold, there is backlash. Sony keeps PS+, no backlash. THESE ARE WEIRD TIMES MAN.
I don't know why y'all listen to them dudes anyways. There won't be backlash on Xbox. There was probably talks about around MS and that got out n tweets were made.

These unofficial MS tweets from these dudes are doing more harm than good. I say if it doesn't come to play then ban them from this site

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
Yeah, no.

The real world doesn't work this way. The PS3 with its free online MP proved this. PSN had far less paid subs and digital platform revenue in general, despite free online.

Given how successful charging a fee for gamers to play online has been on consoles, to not do it would be commercially and fiscally irresponsible from a business perspective.

No matter how much of a good guy Phil is, he isn't putting his job on the line to take a $2Billion risk like that. Especially with all the money they're already sinking into GamePass to grow subs for that service.
It's like you ignored how the industry has evolved this past decade. Just look at sony's latest financial report

Add on content is 41% of their revenue. Opening up more users to that add on content by removing gold can definitely be profitable

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
That means literally nothing. Those have contracts about when they can sell codes and not. Those too will run out soon enough.

Except people that currently have Gold 1YR plans are being renewed at 59.99 autocharges on their CCs. To this very day.

Nobody can say exactly what the F is going on, if anything, beyond a bit of a mess of rumors and conflicting logic and statements.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
It's like you ignored how the industry has evolved this past decade. Just look at sony's latest financial report

Add on content is 41% of their revenue. Opening up more users to that add on content by removing gold can definitely be profitable

but the massive profit from add on content suggests that an online paywall isn't a barrier. The pay wall is guaranteed profit.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017

My guess, which I've noted before is that they are drowning in too many services.

Right now afaik :

XBL (free, but useless)
XBLG (online paywall for all XB console MP)
GP (instant game library, rotating titles, MP not included on XB console)
GPU (GP + XBLG combo)
xCloud (not fully launched of course, cloud gaming access)

It's just too much IMHO

What I expect they'll do :

XBL (free, F2P MP no longer paywalled on XB console)
GP (same as before, but gives online MP for XB console, priced near the $59 XBLG annual price, maybe hiked to 69 or 79, but I doubt 99)
GPU (same as before, but includes xCloud full access and perhaps some other exclusive benefits game by game, like $10 credit in Infinite Shop cash or whatever)

Boom, from 5 paths to 3, from 4 paid paths to 2, and much more straightforward marketing of services, reasonable value for consumers based on what you get (I'm not a fan of paid online, but it's been a standard for ages now, and $60 in 2013 money is not $60 in 2020 money, let's be real), and crucially they no longer look like fools next to PS letting kids play Fortnite etc free instead of $60/year. As a 'Fortnite' box, XB was hilariously terrible value for parents of multiple kids. Buying an extra PS4 Slim or two vs buying extra Xboxes, the choice was too easy with actually free F2P. This fixes this issue.

Oct 30, 2017
Except people that currently have Gold 1YR plans are being renewed at 59.99 autocharges on their CCs. To this very day.
This sounds like a grandfathering type of situation. Chances are that goes away at some point, too.

GP (same as before, but gives online MP for XB console, priced near the $59 XBLG annual price, maybe hiked to 69 or 79, but I doubt 99)

So the price of gamepass is going to go from 120 a year down to 69 or 79 while removing the pay playwall?
Possible but I think it's a stretch.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
This sounds like a grandfathering type of situation. Chances are that goes away at some point, too.

'Chances are' is speculation though. And because it's coming straight from the source, it's already inconsistent. Whenever you sign up for any of these services, you are EULA'd into something boiling down to 'You have no rights, we can remove/cancel/change at any time for any or no reason'.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They were never going to confirm this before whenever they actually planned to announce it. It's incredibly rare for any company to comment on stuff like this early when asked about leaks, even when those leaks are true.

Oct 30, 2017
'Chances are' is speculation though. And because it's coming straight from the source, it's already inconsistent. Whenever you sign up for any of these services, you are EULA'd into something boiling down to 'You have no rights, we can remove/cancel/change at any time for any or no reason'.
This entire thread is speculation.

And that's my point. The consumer has no rights and will likely pull that pricing deal at some point and force the consumer into GPU or into 3 months.
It's there for now.