• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
You've heavily implied it for weeks. Even in the article you published earlier today you're still saying it might happen.

zLrUOMr.png

HAHAHA

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Theorry: I think your thread title might be a bit misleading (unintentionally, I'm sure).

There's a quote that states "no changes are being made to Xbox Live Gold" which relates specifically to the TOS update, then there's a statement saying "there are no plans to discontinue Gold". I don't believe that either of those equate to saying that there are no plans to change XLG.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
lmao that pro consumer argument is faltering

would be even more hilarious if it was just the F2P wall which MS is the only company that does that

/shrug

I'll gladly eat my crow if they really do remove it but i seriously doubt that. It's been clear how much of a money maker that's been since forever now

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
With the context of them responding to a question about a service agreement change and the way they word their statement, lots of room there to still do things with Live. Still think something is up. This doesn't change anything imo.

Nov 15, 2018
There's no point in keeping 2 separate subs, that's too expensive and will intimidate consumers.

There's also no point in doubling the cost of gold by combining it into Gamepass, that will be a marketing disaster that Sony will use against them for the next 7 years. Why would anyone even buy physical retail copies of Halo or any other first party game at that point? You would be paying an extra $60 for nothing. It would cause Microsoft to bury 5 million copies of Halo Infinite beside that ET-Atari landfill.

So the only option that makes sense is free online.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
This is getting confusing,or will be...currently I have Ultimate but its kinda useless for me since my PC is ancient(2011 Motherboard,660 GPU etc)...I would love the option to get Gamepass for console only that includes XBox Gold for like 12 bucks maybe instead of 15 for Ultimate...this is what they should do,include Gold and Gamepass console for cheaper then getting both separate or Ultimate...or something lol...

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is getting confusing,or will be...currently I have Ultimate but its kinda useless for me since my PC is ancient(2011 Motherboard,660 GPU etc)...I would love the option to get Gamepass for console only that includes XBox Gold for like 12 bucks maybe instead of 15 for Ultimate...this is what they should do,include Gold and Gamepass console for cheaper then getting both separate or Ultimate...or something lol...

Gamepass Ultimate is the same price as gamepass plus the old cheapest Xbox Live subscription. Plus you get xcloud.

There's no point in keeping 2 separate subs, that's too expensive and will intimidate consumers.

There's also no point in doubling the cost of gold by combining it into Gamepass, that will be a marketing disaster that Sony will use against them for the next 7 years. Why would anyone even buy physical retail copies of Halo or any other first party game at that point? You would be paying an extra $60 for nothing. It would cause Microsoft to bury 5 million copies of Halo Infinite beside that ET-Atari landfill.

Or Microsoft wants gamepass ultimate to look like even more of a value. "Look, you get all these games if you just pay $5 more a month!"

If they were going to make online free they would have stopped selling year gold cards already.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I never thought Gold would go away, but rather they just make multiplayer free. Make Gold an Xcloud thing when that becomes more prominent.

tomwarren

Senior Editor, The Verge
Verified
Apr 18, 2018
Good job at deleting that insult before I got a chance to respond and maybe for future reference, don't pretend you have insider information for clout.
Insult? I merely said if you had a good understanding of English then you'd be able to read what I've said previously. Like you said, maybe it's time for you to take the L.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Xbox Live gold will likely continue on as a "4 free games a month" and a discounts thing while online multiplayer becomes free. But honestly who really knows

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Insult? I merely said if you had a good understanding of English then you'd be able to read what I've said previously. Like you said, maybe it's time for you to take the L.
Do you have any new info regrading gold? Do you think gold is here to stay for the foreseeable future at least?

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
So you agree I never said it was going free. Great, glad we cleared that up.

...you can't be serious

You're telling others to take the L.

Clearly there are a TON of people who took what you said a certain way.

Don't fucking pedantic ass "I didn't say it would, I said it MIGHT. Learn English lol." Seriously dude?

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
No reason to get people to stop paying/signing up before November so any announcement now is very premature. They will probably still have Xbox Live and then separately have Xbox Live Gold which offers free games, maybe a small discount for the MS store, etc. Perhaps they'll drop the price by a few bucks a month.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I was trying to give you a free piece of advice.
Era and unsolicited advice. There is no more iconic duo.

As for what Tom has said, he's clearly implying something. I also do believe something is happening to gold, be it the free to play wall dropping, or something else.

Xbox Live Gold can exist and not be required to play free to play games.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
This rumor is the worst kind. If online doesn't become free, I'm sure MS will get shit for it, even when this rumor came out of thin air.

Jagernaut

Oct 27, 2017

There is another option, Gamepass subscribers get Gold for free. That way they get money either way and upsell people to Gamepass.

IMO that's more likely than then giving up on Gold fees completely.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being deceptive. So far I've told people to be patient and to imagine Halo Infinite not requiring Xbox Live Gold. If people choose not to read my words carefully then that's their own fault :)

Weird, I would have thought being a journalist, you'd want to be as direct as possible to avoid people misinterpreting what you are trying to report on. But I guess we have different interpretations of what journalism is

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being deceptive. So far I've told people to be patient and to imagine Halo Infinite not requiring Xbox Live Gold. If people choose not to read my words carefully then that's their own fault :)

This is like a comedian saying that if people don't 'get' their jokes, it's the audience's fault. Good comedians write better-worded (or funnier) jokes, not just go after the audience.

As a news professional, shouldn't clarity be part of your goal? And not just clarity for the people 'smart enough to read between the lines', but clarity for the average person?

wingkongex

Aug 25, 2019
Gold is a tougher sell now more than ever, especially when the console's flagship franchise has free to play multiplayer. Drop that shit.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe insiders should say what they mean instead of teasing with vague language.

"Live not being required for F2P games" makes sense and would not lead people along for months while you chastise them for misinterpreting your hints.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My bet: F2P and games that requires sub services (like MMO's) will be free. This makes sense after HI MP being free and the Gold requirement for FF XIV being a major problem to the devs.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
So basically Gold no longer required for F2P titles whoop-de-do~

Free MP or not this still brings the important point that if you want to get Gold from the MS Store the price was increased to $120 ($10 monthly) or $100 ($25 for 3-months) for a year of Gold Live.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Well if you aren't doing something different I'm not subbing to anything 😂I bought Gold to play Halo at like 35-40 a year for a cheap code, you aren't gonna get more money from me just to play Multiplayer a few times a year.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I remember when Greenberg insisted that the Fable twitter account didn't mean anything, so they'll forgive me if I don't just believe them until at least whatever news they have to share this month.

That said, if it is true, then I think media need to start asking them about discontinuing annual subscriptions - whether that's a permanent thing, and how it would essentially amount to a price hike for a lot of people.