• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm, it all depends on what this is.
If it is Pentiment or HiFi on PS/Switch then it's not that big deal overall, it's just branching out to get more money. These games were never system seller anyway and it could be few bucks more for MS.

Now if it's stuff like Forza Horizon 5...then I dunno. That would to me indicate decision coming from above Phil Spencer as I don't think he would do that. I need to see what this is actually.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
shows how desperate i am to play Starfield to seriously hope this would be it for a second or two before i clicked on the thread lol. don't care how much it's memed online, it still looks awesome to me. oh well, maybe some day.. i mean PlayStation got Mass Effect 1 too even though it was never supposed to come. and Braid. and Bioshock. I'M STILL HOPING!

zero interest in Hi-Fi Rush, damnit :/

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Plus, you know I think this is more likely about Switch than PS.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
No chance of Microsoft releasing anything on Playstation so I'lol go with HiFi Rush on Switch.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Ori games are already on Switch and not on PS, so there is pattern. HiFi on Switch makes the most sense, it should probably sell well there.

Jammerz

Banned
Apr 29, 2023
Watching the actual video where he discusses this with MVG, the example scenario of a game going multiplat he does mention switch and ps5.

And him talking about xbox diehards getting mad seems like it could be a possible ps5 release.

Last edited:

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
If, for example, they port Halo Infinite to PS5. Anybody who was going to buy Xbox to play Halo or sub to Game Pass for Halo has mostly done so. There is no devaluation here.
The devaluation is on future titles. If they were ever going to grow their base, they now are training people that it may not be worth it because their titles eventually will go elsewhere.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news. Sounds like a game that will benefit from more people playing. Guess we really are gonna see more titles from Xbox go multiplat

Oct 27, 2017
shows how desperate i am to play Starfield to seriously hope this would be it for a second or two before i clicked on the thread lol. don't care how much it's memed online, it still looks awesome to me. oh well, maybe some day.. i mean PlayStation got Mass Effect 1 too even though it was never supposed to come. and Braid. and Bioshock. I'M STILL HOPING!

zero interest in Hi-Fi Rush, damnit :/

But those were all third-party games with no exclusivity agreements. Starfield is a WRPG and Xbox/PC is kind of becoming the main destination for those while Hi-Fi Rush is a perfect fit for the Switch.

Would be surprised if they port anything to PS5 though, their relationship with Sony is a lot more adversarial.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
It's probably Psychonauts 2 because 2021 was really weak year so it won a handful of GOTYs, can't think of another game Xbox first party title that was in the "GOTY conversation".

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Starfield on PS5 with better load times would make the most sense and probably profit.

But it will be Hi-Fi Rush on Switch.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably Psychonauts 2 because 2021 was really weak year so it won a handful of GOTYs, can't think of another game Xbox first party title that was in the "GOTY conversation".
Psychonauts 2 is multiplat already, this has to be HiFi or Pentiment and those games releasing beyond Xbox/PC is not that big of a deal in grand scheme of things.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
just a reminder for y'all going crazy about Halo or Gears or Forza, Nate's already stated that it's not on that level, nor is it going to be indicative of Microsoft dumping all of their first party games on competitor platforms willy nilly.

www.resetera.com

Xbox Game Studios + Bethesda + ABK | OTXVIII | Some Marketers Are Always Trying To Ice Skate Uphill OT

I wouldn't put it on the same tier as Halo/Gears but I'd put it higher than ADF. I wouldn't use the game in question as a barometer for MS' multiplat strategy, as it remains a case by case basis.

I wouldn't put it on the same tier as Halo/Gears but I'd put it higher than ADF. I wouldn't use the game in question as a barometer for MS' multiplat strategy, as it remains a case by case basis.

So, assuming if this is true, it definitely seems to be a Hi-Fi Rush or Pentiment tier game.

Last edited:

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
The devaluation is on future titles. If they were ever going to grow their base, they now are training people that it may not be worth it because their titles eventually will go elsewhere.
I think it will be more common with both Sony and MS to be honest, system sellers aren't really a thing years later and people who care about the Halos, the Gears, the God of Wars, the TLoU etc already probably main that console anyway and the rest don't care enough to buy a whole console just for a handful of games they might like. The console market doesn't really grow anymore either, so not like there's a huge untapped market just waiting for a certain amount before buying, so very late ports to the other platform is probably easy money to do inbettween projects. Day 1 I don't think will ever happen outside of service games.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021

Depending on what the game is, it could have been released years ago. I just don't see how one older game devalues anything. The vast majority of the xbox users won't care, if they even notice begin with.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I'd love Hi-Fi Rush to come to Switch but I reckon this will be the year I'll buy an Xbox Series X anyway.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
If they managed to hit 60fps on Switch (I'm assuming they did if it's coming) I'm playing the shit out of Hi Fi Rush on there. And I hope there is a physical release because that box art is going to look perfect.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy I really hope they dont butcher Hi-Fi Rush port for Switch. The Digital Foundry gang needs to crackdown on it as soon it is released so I can make the informed decision to buy it or not.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I listened to the segment. I am a bit amused how they are (speculating mind you) that the Oblivion Remake could be also potentially multiplat lol. That would be much bigger deal and that is not happening, no way.

MS did not buy Bethesda to associate Elder's Scrolls outside Xbox/PC.

NinjaLooter

Oct 1, 2023
Not really surprising if this is Starfield coming to PS5. They were already developing for it before anyway. This is also in line with the Xbox philosophy of making their games available to more people.

Joo

May 25, 2018
It's funny how quickly people change their tune on Xbox titles when there's a chance it might come to a different platform.
Right. Hi-Fi Rush is one of the few Xbox titles that you see people who don't have Xbox constantly saying here on Era that they wish they could play it.

I'd really want to play it. I only have GPU and access through xCloud, and the timing based gameplay just doesn't work with streaming and the added input lag.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
But those were all third-party games with no exclusivity agreements. Starfield is a WRPG and Xbox/PC is kind of becoming the main destination for those while Hi-Fi Rush is a perfect fit for the Switch.

Would be surprised if they port anything to PS5 though, their relationship with Sony is a lot more adversarial.

were they..? there was absolutely NO hints whatsoever that Mass Effect would ever come to PS3, it was definitely treated as an exclusive for several years.

and Bioshock too had the "only on Xbox 360 and Windows PC" sticker.. so i thought it would never come to PS3, and i dont think it was stupid to think so. i was just a regular gamer, how am i supposed to know when they are bullshitting me and when not, and what exactly their secret agreements say..

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
So, same as Sony's games eventually coming to PC? It's not like people stop buying PS5 because of that.

Playstation console sales are up month on month even on dry years, Xbox sales are down month on month even with nine first party releases and Game Pass being great.

If Xbox has a future, the people in here wanting to play the games need to pick up an Xbox vs expecting a port.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno if this has been posted in this thread, but I was taking a peak at the XGS OT thread and saw this.

507fb097362696e78e9a8bdbd8aa2a81.png

Apparently going by posters in that thread, this user has been correct about stuff like many Game Pass games titles like Taiko no Tatsujin and Atlus games coming to Xbox.

EDIT: oh my god the actual post is literally at the top of this page hahahahahahaha

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how quickly people change their tune on Xbox titles when there's a chance it might come to a different platform.

The title being brought up the most is Hi-Fi Rush which most people who don't have a Xbox want to play. I'm not seeing what's different? Unless you can give more context on what "tune" is being changed

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
So, same as Sony's games eventually coming to PC? It's not like people stop buying PS5 because of that.
It's not quite the same, because quite a lot of people (e.g. I) want to play on a console and so PC for them is not an alternative purchase to PS5. Xbox Series X and PS5 are very similar to each other though, so in many cases the decision would be between those two. If Sony games never come to Xbox, but Xbox games eventually come to PlayStation, that basically makes the Xbox unviable as an alternative. The only remaining advantages would be the better controller and Game Pass.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's 100% HiFi on Switch - guess the only remaining question is if it is coming to PS5 too (probabaly not).

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I listened to the segment. I am a bit amused how they are (speculating mind you) that the Oblivion Remake could be also potentially multiplat lol. That would be much bigger deal and that is not happening, no way.

MS did not buy Bethesda to associate Elder's Scrolls outside Xbox/PC.

When talking about Redfall and Starfield in the court hearings and how they were new games without established communities, Microsoft did go on to say that many other future Zenimax/Bethesda games would be coming to Playstation and Nintendo (page 19):

They did release Quake 1+2 on the other platforms - Quake 1 never released on Playstation - so it seems like old remasters could be candidates.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
I wonder if we will see more games from 1st party's on other platforms, why not release stuff like Demons Souls and Rift Apart on Xbox? No one is buying a PS5 for those games anymore.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ori was my first thought if it's going PS5.

Games going Switch isn't that odd so could just be that.

I would get a laugh if Microsoft are going with, see we do release on Switch and PS5, so umm can we buy Sega 😂 kthxbye. /s