Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hi-Fi skip XB1 due to not being able to maintain a steady 60fps? If so, I can't see them doing a Switch 1 version without some form of black magic.

The Switch 2 on the other hand is a safe bet, maybe even at/around launch.

Chai for smash when?
Actually, he'd be a viable option now.

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hi-Fi skip XB1 due to not being able to maintain a steady 60fps? If so, I can't see them doing a Switch 1 version without some form of black magic.

As it just so happens, a little studio called Panic Button are masters of the dark arts. If anyone could do a 60fps port, it's them.

As an aside, I wish Panic Button would do some sort of blog post or tech talk about how they squeeze so much out of the Switch. It would be helpful for indie devs who are working on games targeting the console.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I keep pointing out, though.

Hi-FI Rush will run like shit and be basically unplayable on Switch. That's the obstacle. It would be a terrible port that ruins the entire point of the game. How can you build a fanbase with an unplayable port?
We haven't even seen it running on the switch, this game could scale down nicely, it won't look as nice as the series x and pc versions but your post is an over exaggerated assumption on something we haven't even seen gameplay of

I don't see why you assume and treat it as fact that the port would be unplayable and terrible when we don't even have video of it

We have ports of games that were more demanding l, like Doom 2016 and it is fine for the switch

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Sony should do something similar and release Gravity Rush on Switch as well! Couldn't hurt.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Steam deck plays hifi perfectly so switch 2 should be able to handle it.
Edit: so tango has dev kits from Nintendo already?

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I am a little surprised at the reaction. The CFO said this was basically going to happen like a month ago. There was an entire thread with a whole heap of us speculating just that. I am a little surprised it is a newer title, I personally thought it would Sea of Thieves or something with GAAS elements. But if they are trying to break more into Japan, HiFi Rush does make sense.

Feb 19, 2023
Why would a Switch port of a game that's already on everything else make anyone upset, though? That's the question.

Old ass PC ports for PlayStation games make PS fanboys lose their minds on social media each and every time despite it being something that we know will continue to happen. Never doubt diehard loyalists, which I believe is the term Nate used.

Besides, we already know it isn't Psychonauts 2 even though a Switch port and native PS5 version would be nice. Game is incredible.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I am a little surprised at the reaction. The CFO said this was basically going to happen like a month ago. There was an entire thread with a whole heap of us speculating just that. I am a little surprised it is a newer title, I personally thought it would Sea of Thieves or something with GAAS elements. But if they are trying to break more into Japan, HiFi Rush does make sense.
I saw someone bring this up in another thread, this is a good point.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
For me, It would have to be Forza Horizon 5 going to other systems to actually say "Holy fuck!". Otherwise it's just a thing that is happening, looking to expand your reach. Similar to Ori on Switch.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why would a Switch port of a game that's already on everything else make anyone upset, though? That's the question.
Who said anyone would be upset? He specifically says Xbox first party game and not Xbox exclusive. Psychonauts perfectly fits the Switch's main audience and could definitely run on it.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Certain people were whining over the Quake remasters being on more than Xbox and PC. Literally anything will upset the right kind of fans.

Psychonauts 1 and 2 have never been on any Nintendo hardware and probably has no immediate future other than merchandising. It is a pretty good option to bring that franchise over there I think.

Hi-Fi Rush seems to have a far more significant future regardless of ports so I do agree that feels to be the more likely based on the wording. Maybe they just want that Japanese audience.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I don't think it's hi-fi rush simply because of the wording "for the year it was released" which if I was writing I would leave out and deem unnecessary if it came out this past year. I'm expected a 1+ year old game.
If Nate said the year, he'd be saying what game it is and his source did not allow him to tell which game it was.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
I really hope its hi-fi rush for switch 2, Its one of the most inventive games I've ever played and I would be bummed if the series never got to continue because it launched on a platform that doesn't have a large audience for its type of game. It's also not the first time Microsoft released a game for another platform after it didn't really fit the xbox userbase, looking at super lucky's tale stuff.

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
This thread should just become the default Xbox/MS port begging thread from this point forward.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
How can the competitor platform be Switch when Switch/Nintendo is clearly not a competitor to Xbox?

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
How can the competitor platform be Switch when Switch/Nintendo is clearly not a competitor to Xbox?
Not sure why people are getting so hung up on this. This isn't coming from a courtroom hearing defining what the console market is. It's a fan podcast talking about Microsoft releasing one of their titles on a system that isn't there own.

There is nothing wrong with Nate referring to Switch (2) as "a competitor's console" in this context.

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Nate said the year, he'd be saying what game it is and his source did not allow him to tell which game it was.
He wouldnt have to specifically say the year. I just think subconciously if it was this year he wouldn't have put " in the year it was released". I think adding that specifically means it's a game that came out before last year.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
But it's a handheld and running less optimized pc games through a translation layer, that's two forms of optimization missing. The game isn't really cpu heavy either. It likely isn't on XB1 due to ROI.

Yeah my 6 year old PC was able to play the game on high settings with stable 60fps at all times, so maybe medium settings and/or 30fps cap for Switch?

beebop

May 30, 2023
It's one person's interpretation, and use of the word "competitor". I doubt very much the first meeting internally about this was "right, we're going to put a game on a competitor console".

beebop

May 30, 2023
They'd already made their commitment to cut off the XB1 with their first party when this was released, had they not?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah my 6 year old PC was able to play the game on high settings with stable 60fps at all times, so maybe medium settings and/or 30fps cap for Switch?

30fps would be REALLY BAD for Hi-Fi Rush. Like you NEED 60fps for those parry chains and to react to boss attacks. I'm trying to imagine beating Roquefort or Korsica at 30fps and it makes me shiver. If they can only manage 30fps, just wait for Switch 2, please.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
30fps would be REALLY BAD for Hi-Fi Rush. Like you NEED 60fps for those parry chains and to react to boss attacks. I'm trying to imagine beating Roquefort or Korsica at 30fps and it makes me shiver. If they can only manage 30fps, just wait for Switch 2, please.

In hindsight, yeah that wouldn't be a great experience lol

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017

it would be doable with large cutbacks and 30fps with low resolution

but it might not be worth the work

seems more like a switch 2/PS5 thing

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
Unless he's extremely liberal with the GOTY conversation thing it has to be either Forza Horizon, HiFi Rush or a really old game.

Can't remember another recent game that would fit that bill.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
The most telling part of this is how difficult it is for me to think of GOTY Microsoft games in the last few years.

With that said, id double dip on hi fi rush if it came to switch or PS.