batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
unofficial magazines were constantly doing fucking bizarre shit back then so I'm completely unsurprised

just a bunch of edgey teens/young adults trying their damnedest to be cool and denying how dorky their hobby is while also heavily publishing fan art that seems to feature themselves

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Being a black 90s kid, this makes sense to me. You just assumed most white gamers were racist or racist tolerant.
I was too but I don't recall it being like this at all, at least not to think it was a norm, felt more like they were just these lepers that had to find some kind of sanctuary for their disposition. I had maybe like one bad encounter and it was dealt with. The last recent casual one before people became more bold, I think in the early 2000s I was in video chat at my friends house and one person came in and used a slur was basically burned at the stake by everyone in the chat and booted before I could even say anything.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
Knew a kid in elementary school who used to draw swaztikas and war stuff all the time. I think at that age it is mostly just an edgy thing cause it is kind of forbidden.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The people here defending the use of blatant nazi iconography are pretty gross, especially when they're acting like white supremacists and neo nazis weren't a thing in the 90s so clearly it wasn't a big deal back then

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Stalin Mario surely? He's most of the way there

www.nedmartin.org

A Case in Communism: The Super Mario Story — Ned Martin’s Amused

A Case in Communism: The Super Mario Story.

Exhibit E: Mario's Family Resemblance?

Video game heroes are traditionally people we would like to emulate. Sonic the Hedgehog is fast and quick-witted. The Contra commandos are total badasses, even if they die in one hit. And Link wields a cool sword and has a harem of hot fairy bitches waiting off of him. What kid worth his legos wouldn't want to be any of these fine role models? Why then, as their flagship hero, does Nintendo choose an overweight, big-nosed plumber with an ungainly moustache and ridiculous suspenders? Why was this, the most unlikely heroic figure, chosen? Unusual yes… but deliberate? Looking at the evidence in light of this new Communist hidden agenda, the answer for this mystery is obvious. Mario, and his short-lived brother, are none other than cartoon representations of Joseph Stalin. Stalin was Russia's amicus humani, amor patriae or communist super man. So could this "super" Mario represent another "super" man? Well, that is for you to decide.​
mario_stalin3.gif
mario_stalin4.gif
Based on the evidence, a sinister new picture emerges about our cherished childhood hero. What follows is a dramatization, based on what we believe is really going on in Super Mario Bros.​
MGiEu.jpeg

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I feel like I remember seeing this!? I don't remember reading Sega power, but I very well could have picked up an issue or two or read it in the store. I certainly remember I had a brief stint of violent sonic and mario art, that was probably inspired by this stuff.

I don't think I drew nazi iconography? I was always disgusted by swastika graffiti. My nephew got busted doodling swatiskas in school though 😖. My dad and Call of Duty recieved the blame. My dad has an unhealthy love of WW2 and watches history stuff constantly. They take my nephew to see ww2 reenactments every year.

Oct 28, 2017
Lol yeah theres totally a guy on facebook with the name. Hes very much into video games still and i found at least one nazi reference on his wall. So this is what console war veterans look like huh.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
Gaming journalism has really come a long way. I actually can't stop laughing at this not because the picture is funny but because what the actual fuck is this whole magazine. The fact they're making fun of art children sent in is the least classy thing possible holy shit

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
On a positive note, that was one cool kid who sent in the Psycho Fox picture.

Gaming journalism has really come a long way. I actually can't stop laughing at this not because the picture is funny but because what the actual fuck is this whole magazine. The fact they're making fun of art children sent in is the least classy thing possible holy shit
This might not translate so well today - or internationally, but back in the 80s and 90s British games magazines had this kind of insult humour - if you sent in a letter or art, you did so in the knowledge that it would be met that way.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Lol "rightwing." I miss those good old days when calling a nazi a nazi wasn't somehow controversial.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you guys really let these alt-right chuds fester since before I was even born, huh?

. . .For my part as a Sonic fan, I'm just going to work under the assumption that this kid grew up into one of the guys that claims that Sonic was only good in the 90's and gets really anal about calling Eggman "Robotnik" at all times. I feel like considering the aura of evil that subset of the fandom carries that a lot of them prolly have a Nazi streak, too.

But then, that's me speculating. Since people have apparently found this guy's social media and he hasn't changed a bit since being a bad seed, I'm sure you guys can check for sure what his hedge-cred is, LOL.

But hey, going after just the "artist" is thinking a little too small. Any of you know where the freakshow editor that put a gold star on this mess is at right now?

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, you guys really let these alt-right chuds fester since before I was even born, huh?

. . .For my part as a Sonic fan, I'm just going to work under the assumption that this kid grew up into one of the guys that claims that Sonic was only good in the 90's and gets really anal about calling Eggman "Robotnik" at all times. I feel like considering the aura of evil that subset of the fandom carries that a lot of them prolly have a Nazi streak, too.

But then, that's me speculating. Since people have apparently found this guy's social media and he hasn't changed a bit since being a bad seed, I'm sure you guys can check for sure what his hedge-cred is, LOL.

But hey, going after just the "artist" is thinking a little too small. Any of you know where the freakshow editor that put a gold star on this mess is at right now?

What is this post

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
Mixing personal sore spots with political commentary while I'm currently running on three brain cells may not have been the brightest.

On the other hand, it's not like this thread has much of a bar to limbo under in regards to responses in the first place.

Lemme try again.

"Political issues have been left unaddressed for actual decades and I'm flabbergasted, I feel like I know the subfandom of assholes that probably was birthed from this culture, and if everyone's going around finding the 'where are we now' on the kid that made this thing then we might as well get credentials on the adult that gave it a pass, too."

There we go. Probably still not the best look for me but I think I cleaned up my point.

Great Deep Sea

Alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2020
I'd be willing to bet the staff was told to keep the hard-core edgy appearance and went with this type of art.

Poemkin

Oct 27, 2017
I bought the official sega saturn magazine in the 90s and the amount of clearly jealous and mean spirited articles & jabs written by the editors and writers of that magazines towards the PlayStation ("grandia is the best!! Bow to your king, ff7!!!") were astounding. Even as a 15 yo teenager then, I thought those editors were even more childish than me.

Richard Leadbetter edited SSM for a while.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
never heard of sega power, is this a European magazine?

US had Sega Visions from Sega and there was Mega Play from EGM

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be willing to bet the staff was told to keep the hard-core edgy appearance and went with this type of art.
Even so, there's no way you get the phrase "rightwinger" as a comment on a Nazi drawing without some real sus stuff going on.

The only silver lining I can really give this is that I doubt Sega deliberately sanctioned this, simply on the basis of the fact that Sega has always been, and particularly at that time was, downright negligent at actually vetting their licensed materials. If Ken Penders got to rampage as long as he did at Archie, I doubt anyone at Sega even read this thing. Hanlon's Razor in action, essentially.

But in the pre-internet age where people were actually proud of having beaten the Nazis, you don't just go sugarcoating like that unless there's some, uhhhhh

Yeah who were the people responsible for all this, again?

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Even so, there's no way you get the phrase "rightwinger" as a comment on a Nazi drawing without some real sus stuff going on.

The only silver lining I can really give this is that I doubt Sega deliberately sanctioned this, simply on the basis of the fact that Sega has always been, and particularly at that time was, downright negligent at actually vetting their licensed materials. If Ken Penders got to rampage as long as he did at Archie, I doubt anyone at Sega even read this thing. Hanlon's Razor in action, essentially.

But in the pre-internet age where people were actually proud of having beaten the Nazis, you don't just go sugarcoating like that unless there's some, uhhhhh

Yeah who were the people responsible for all this, again?
Sega Power wasn't an official magazine so it certainly wasn't anything Sega themselves would have anything to do with. The official mag was just called "Sega Magazine".