• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen this; I have always wanted to watch this; if they had to cancel Daredevil for this, fine by me.

Total Neon virgin here. What am I in for?

Also, Netflix, please get Robotech and my life will be complete.
I haven't watched it either, but I would recommend at least reading a bit about the creator and how this show came to be. It's fascinating stuff.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I remember everyone saying Pacific Rim stole from this so eager to check it out. Always wanted a Kaiju anime that didn't involve giant naked humans.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For the redubbing case, i went and rewatched a dew clips of the original dub on youtube and yeesh, it's worse than i remembered.
Intonations are all over the place, the dialogue has a weird flow etc.
From the animes i've watched on Netflix, they seems to do good dubs, so i'm optimistic about the result.

Nov 14, 2017
I remember everyone saying Pacific Rim stole from this so eager to check it out. Always wanted a Kaiju anime that didn't involve giant naked humans.
I mean, a lot of things borrowed from Eva; the drifting in Pacific Rim is pretty much taken from the plot of one episode mixed with the general thing of the pilots synchronising with the Evangelions. Also, there might kinda be giant naked humanoids in Eva at a certain point, as that's kinda another thing that I think Eva started.

Starfire22

Banned
May 5, 2018
Oklahoma
Was there ever TV rights for this back in the day? I only know that KTEH PBS (in Silicon Valley) had the show, along with other anime.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
As a dialogue post-production engineer myself, I've got to wonder if the original dub recordings still exist. I presume Netflix will be using the Japanese Blu-ray HD remasters for their video source, and considering ADV no longer exist as a company, I'm guessing the original recordings are either lost in storage somewhere at Sentai Filmworks, or they can't be recovered from its archived format. A new dub with a more accurate translation will greatly benefit the show, providing Netflix hire the right voice actors for it.

I've owned the Platinum Complete collection for a while (just sold it on eBay today) and I will watch the show again on Netflix with the Japanese audio and newly translated subtitles. Hopefully a western Blu-ray release will follow shortly after. I've got my credit card at the ready, it just needs to exist.

Last edited:

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be all down for a new dub. I wonder if they'd keep the bizarre terminology (Angel, human instrumentality, etc) that isn't really a translation.

The old dub doesn't bother me, but it's very "90s anime." I enjoy the extreme melodrama and overacting. The sound effect tweaks were unfortunate.

I really think the dubs in the Rebuild movies are very strong and much more modern in terms of sensibility.

The original 3.33 dub actually had some good stuff in it, but I only got to see it once and don't remember all the details. The plot points and general dialogue felt like what I was used to with the (bootleg) subtitled version. There must have been something big that was trimmed from the script or rephrased for Khara to make them do it over again.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The big problem with ADV dubs was that they always tried to match the pitch of whatever Japanese seiyu they were dubbing over, which meant that most of the time the actors (particularly the women) were screaming their lungs out throughout every recording.

There was even a case where one VA had to retire midway through a series because their doctor warned that they would do irreparable damage to their vocal chords (Excel Saga).

It was really hard to sit through several of their dubbed shows as a result.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's fine to have it redubbed, but I would like it if they retain the current cast as is. Rebuilds have a more modern script and direction, and they've got strong performances. Personally, I still like the original dub, and I thought Spike Spencer really got more and more into it as the series progressed.

Apparently ADV owns the dub still, and they won't give it up. Hence, Netflix has to redo it.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The big problem with ADV dubs was that they always tried to match the pitch of whatever Japanese seiyu they were dubbing over, which meant that most of the time the actors (particularly the women) were screaming their lungs out throughout every recording.

There was even a case where one VA had to retire midway through a series because their doctor warned that they would do irreparable damage to their vocal chords (Excel Saga).

It was really hard to sit through several of their dubbed shows as a result.
This is why dubs can be so painful to listen to sometimes. When English speakers try to mimic the vocal quirks of Japanese voice acting it can be very unnatural sounding. People just don't speak that way here.

Jon_Danger

Nov 8, 2017
Apparently everyone here loved the Star Wars Special Editions more than the originals. Though the dubs aren't perfect, erasing them from history (especially as the original dub is out of print) isn't good either. I never listen to dubs anymore, but for shows like NGE and Bebop, the dubs are the versions I basically memorized in middle school. Sure they were clunky, but outside of the main cast, the performances were good, the voices grew on you. And I think to many the original voices are what they remember from the past. Getting rid of those defeats the purpose of bringing it back. Call it Evangelion EX or whatever, because it won't be the same.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Apparently everyone here loved the Star Wars Special Editions more than the originals. Though the dubs aren't perfect, erasing them from history (especially as the original dub is out of print) isn't good either. I never listen to dubs anymore, but for shows like NGE and Bebop, the dubs are the versions I basically memorized in middle school. Sure they were clunky, but outside of the main cast, the performances were good, the voices grew on you. And I think to many the original voices are what they remember from the past. Getting rid of those defeats the purpose of bringing it back. Call it Evangelion EX or whatever, because it won't be the same.

The Japanese one is the original. The English version can never be the "original" when it wasn't in the first place. Poor analogy.

Deleted member 48205

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 30, 2018
it really is. it's one of the reasons the series is as strong as it is. also why the women VAs are specifically thanked at the beginning of EoE 26.
Holy shit that's what that is? I always assumed it was Anno's family or something haha. It's totally deserved. The conversation between Shinji and Misato next to the elevator comes to mind. Shit Eva is good dude.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be all down for a new dub. I wonder if they'd keep the bizarre terminology (Angel, human instrumentality, etc) that isn't really a translation.
That's on Gainax, isn't it? That's their own translation that they forced on ADV. Or so I've heard. Though oddly they had no problem with ADV going with 'Child' instead of 'Children'.

The Mad Mango

Oct 27, 2017
It is, however, going to delight (and terrify) all the depressive 30-somethings who will suddenly discover that they are and have always been a Shinji.

NGE's currently in that phase this decade where the snobs declare it to be overrated entry-level trash for plebs. Which means next decade people will be swearing up and down about how prescient the show is, and how we are all Shinji under late-stage capitalism.

Ehhh. It's cool and all, but it takes the series four episodes for its tone to start shifting in a completely different direction, far away from the upbeat j-pop anthem. As the series progresses the two become so tonally incompatible, the theme sounds more and more like an anime intro parody.

"EMBRACING THE SKY AND SHINING, YOUNG BOY, BECOME THE LEGEND!"

Two minutes later:

MIEJA7K.gif

Fig. A - Young boy, shining.

That's definitely a thing in anime.

Hey welcome to happy fun time with your pals Goku and Gohan! Yay!

WetTestyHind-size_restricted.gif

5 seconds later

YgOZYt4.gif

I like the contrast though.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
As a dialogue post-production engineer myself, I've got to wonder if the original dub recordings still exist. I presume Netflix will be using the Japanese Blu-ray HD remasters for their video source, and considering ADV no longer exist as a company, I'm guessing the original recordings are either lost in storage somewhere at Sentai Filmworks, or they can't be recovered from its archived format. A new dub with a more accurate translation will greatly benefit the show, providing Netflix hire the right voice actors for it.

I've owned the Platinum Complete collection for a while (just sold it on eBay today) and I will watch the show again on Netflix with the Japanese audio and newly translated subtitles. Hopefully a western Blu-ray release will follow shortly after. I've got my credit card at the ready, it just needs to exist.
They seemed to have enough foresight that the voice stems were in a good enough extant state to be remuxed for the Platinum Edition (so 2004/5 or so), but who knows. For a more recent example, Sentai were able to reuse the original recordings of their Gatchaman dub for the compilation film.

In any case, the problem seems to be a legal Harmony-Gold-esque situation; even while splintering into several entities, ADV themselves technically still exist;

Justin Sevakis said:
Inside source tells me they don't. It was the 90s, most contracts from that era didn't give ownership to the licensor. And there's still a lot of bad blood over the aborted live action movie (& lawsuit), so it's unlikely they'll buy it out from them now.

Secret Visions Anime said:
ADV never filed for bankruptcy. Ledford radically restructured the company, but the old ADV still exists and even still has a few old licenses and contracts in place.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
That's on Gainax, isn't it? That's their own translation that they forced on ADV. Or so I've heard. Though oddly they had no problem with ADV going with 'Child' instead of 'Children'.

I like the bizarre terminology and technobabble of the original dub.

I can see "child" over "children" due to the latter sounding more like a grammatical mistranslated than a deliberate phrase.

Human Instrumentality sure sound cool and mysterious though.

Not sure how true of a translation some of the "converging on infinite zero!" type stuff is though. Still, sounds mysterious and cool.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i have the laser disc set this is advertising :)

also, it's wild we're spoiler tagging an anime that's probably older than a lot of users on here lmao
Honestly, despite the fact that I love talking about it, I desperately need to watch it again. It's been more than a decade since I saw it in its entirety.

Shit is all a blur to me now barring the first/last few episodes and EoE, ironically.

Oct 30, 2017
Urrgh, no redub, please. Gendo's original dub voice was amazing, even though it has since changed. Netflix kept the original dubs from other animes, so on the one hand I would be surprised if they redubbed this - on the other hand, the Eva dub might be caught up in licensing hell. Would that be ADV?

Wait wait wait....it might get re-dubbed? Fuckin hell thats a hard pass for me then......I love the original dub cast so damn much.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
New dub? Ok well, that's something. I wonder if we do ever get Eva on Blu in the west it won't include the original English now..

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NGE's dub was one of the ones where you could actually see the cast and crew get better. First few episodes are rough, yes, but it's still a good dub

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
They seemed to have enough foresight that the voice stems were in a good enough extant state to be remuxed for the Platinum Edition (so 2004/5 or so), but who knows. For a more recent example, Sentai were able to reuse the original recordings of their Gatchaman dub for the compilation film.

In any case, the problem seems to be a legal Harmony-Gold-esque situation; even while splintering into several entities, ADV themselves technically still exist;

Thanks for the info, I'm happy there's a likelihood of the original dub surviving somewhere. I wonder if Netflix has the resources to buy the dub outright from Sentai/ADV/whatever on the behalf of Khara, but it may just be simpler for them to create a new dub. Devilmain Crybaby and Fate/Apocrypha were great, so they have the right experience behind them.

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone think after the Rebuild 3.1 incident (where Funimation was forced to redo that dub from scratch) that Khara actively asked Netflix not to have those actors return for the series redub?