• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I have been playing the game for some days now. To make the whole experience much better, they only need to change the difficulty of the single player towers.
TBH the grind itself is not as bad as it sounds, the problem is mainly that the towers you need to grind are extremely hard to complete, frustrating and plainly not fun most of the time.
The towers actually give you decent amounts of ingame currency, it's just that they are sometime impossible to complete.

That means, they don't even have to change anything about the monetization or currencies itself, but only the difficulty of the towers, to make the game immensely more rewarding very quickly.

At least for a hotfix-type of situation.

they should do the following asap:

1) lower difficulty in the towers of time or let players choose difficulty in towers of time, if someone wants to play on easy, let them play on easy...maybe give more rewards for harder difficulties but don´t mandate to play ultra hard towers
2) reduce the cost of the Krypt chests or higher Koin gain for playing towers
3) make the negative modifiers affect the AI too...part of the fun of this stuff is that the AI is also affected by blizzards, rockets and other shit and not only the player character. and make the assists blockable!

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
So they are doing exactly what people wanted them to do and we have people on here STILL complaining.
I feel like some people won't be satisfied given its MK and NRS no matter what they do. Sure, a good amount are justified and have reasons and that's understandable but some people always look to pick a bone with the series.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So they are doing exactly what people wanted them to do and we have people on here STILL complaining.

How about not trying to take the piss out of people in the first place?

Specially after they already tried that with the last game, then got f'n cought and now seriously tried it again.

The backlash can't be big enough for this shit.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
"abusing" sure. Couldn't be that internal testing caused them to miss the mark a bit and now that its in the wild the feedback they are getting is different from what they expected. Like we have people in this thread going full blown conspiracy theory.

I mean, this is the..what, 4th WB game to be accused of doing this, 4th without going into their mobile prospects?

It's easy to understand why people don't give WB the benefit of doubt.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
How about not trying to take the piss out of people in the first place?

Specially after they already tried that with the last game, then got f'n cought and now seriously tried it again.
What game? Injustice 2? They game i didnt drop a penny additionally on and unlocked every it has to over after a month?

Last edited:
May 26, 2018
Derek and Tyler, and 16 Bit and Dizzy all wanted to make a fun, engaging fighting game with a lot of content to keep players busy for ever. But NRS also wants to outdo itself with every game.

You don't get to make fighting games with budgets of 100s of millions of dollars in current year, not without a few promises and compromises. Boon must've promised WB an amount of revenue that is probably not possible without MTX. That's the world we live in.

I don't think anybody at NRS did this out of malice, even Boon. This is the state of the AAA industry and late state capitalism. If you want a fair and honest and wholesome fighting game, you're looking at the budget of something like the games that come out of Japan. Forget the hollywood bombastic story mode or the 30 different masks and 60 skins per fighter.

You don't have to have malice in your heart to hurt people, sure, but lacking scruples helps a lot. And either way, whether on purpose or by accident, it needs to stop. This shit we enjoy just isn't worth the price.

OP
OP
sephi22

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You don't have to have malice in your heart to hurt people, sure, but lacking scruples helps a lot. And either way, whether on purpose or by accident, it needs to stop. This shit we enjoy just isn't worth the price.
Yeah I know. I'm not defending it. But just saying the reality of the industry is that you don't get to make high budget omelettes without breaking a few eggs

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
They calculated the response to this wrong internally, and so are now pulling it back somewhat before it hurts the sales/word of mouth.

Then MK12 can launch using this to more finely tune its data, hopefully hitting that maximal profit minimal pushback balance.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
It shouldn't need to be fixed as the grind shouldn't be there in the first place. It's a $60 game with future DLC planned, it doesn't need mobile style microtransactions.

May 26, 2018
They calculated the response to this wrong internally, and so are now pulling it back somewhat before it hurts the sales/word of mouth.

Then MK12 can launch using this to more finely tune its data, hopefully hitting that maximal profit minimal pushback balance.

Either that or they suspected what the boundary was and went past it anyway.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Probably put a number of people off already.

It was clearly intentional and they now feel the need to backtrack.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Oh even better. The game were i unlocked everything after 1 week with only playing?

Ehhhh, good for you I guess?
But that doesn't change anything about what they did and it also doesn't makes it better. (Seriously, how is that a defense to the topic?)

This here, as a reminder:

Remember when Mortal Kombat got an update that made the game more grinding with in game prices rising up AFTER the reviews arrived ?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
honestly it was obvious to anyone who played it, I was very confident they will fix this

the timed towers are great content that will motivate players for months.
and the way they are implemented right now the majority of players simply could not play them.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I have been playing the game for some days now. To make the whole experience much better, they only need to change the difficulty of the single player towers.
TBH the grind itself is not as bad as it sounds, the problem is mainly that the towers you need to grind are extremely hard to complete, frustrating and plainly not fun most of the time.
The towers actually give you decent amounts of ingame currency, it's just that they are sometime impossible to complete.

That means, they don't even have to change anything about the monetization or currencies itself at least in the short term. Fixing only the difficulty of the towers would make the game immensely more rewarding very quickly.

At least for a hotfix-type of situation.
To be clear: the game would be a lot better without 7 currencies and a RNG krypt BUT it is not as intrusive as it may sound on pape if the way of grinding (towers) would not be so frustrating.

Unlocking content should not require you to be insanely good at the game. I'm terrible at fighting games but I still want to have some fun playing the single player and unlocking costumes. If the game is too hard/frustrating then they messed up. The majority of their fan base are not esports players.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Them listening and fixing it is only a good thing.

The game is looking to be their best game yet, so addressing this sticking point will do a lot.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
they should do the following asap:

1) lower difficulty in the towers of time or let players choose difficulty in towers of time, if someone wants to play on easy, let them play on easy...maybe give more rewards for harder difficulties but don´t mandate to play ultra hard towers
2) reduce the cost of the Krypt chests or higher Koin gain for playing towers
3) make the negative modifiers affect the AI too...part of the fun of this stuff is that the AI is also affected by blizzards, rockets and other shit and not only the player character. and make the assists blockable!

Speaking of the modifiers, they should change those that put you in stun if you are near the enemy (the freezing and electrocution ones). I don't know how to fix those, but it can't be the goal to have an enemy in the first real tower stunlock you death 100% of the time if you make 1 mistake.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Can we also put our weight behind fixing local play :( apparently it was never fixed for Injustice and I'm worried it may be because not many play local and Neatherream will just ignore it again.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
"Fix" implies it was a mistake though?

I mean, good on them for changing it. But it seems like WB was perfectly ready to add exploitative progression and MTX to a singleplayer mode again, and are only responding because they "got caught".

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Fix" implies it was a mistake though?

I mean, good on them for changing it. But it seems like WB was perfectly ready to add exploitative progression and MTX to a singleplayer mode again, and are only responding because they "got caught".

Either way it's a mistake they are correcting so the why becomes incidental.

I mean, we can realistically assume some companies are going to push the envelope with this sort of thing and what's nice is that this time, they heard and responded to the backlash before the game even dropped.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. In the clip in the OP, they said there no timeframes. Many changes can just be done on the backend by fixing variables and will manifest organically. Some might need a patch to be pushed out later

I'm guessing it will be tomorrow. While the die hards saw the last or read about it on places like here and reddit, casual players aren't going to know so they if they wait to long to make those backend tweaks it's going to hammer them, especially after the reviews.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There was still hope you would just suck it up and deal with it. Someone deliberately planned the grind and intended you to live through it. Tweaking it now is just a meaningless gesture to me because the original plan was see-through.
Given how bonkers the difficulty spikes in many previous MK games... I'm not so sure. I still have nightmares about some of MK9's Tower requirements resulting in 30 minute-long fights because there was no timer and both fighters regenerated health faster than they could lose it...

Nov 18, 2017
Even without the MTX/Towers of Time, this is clearly a fantastic fighting game with more SP content than similar competitors.

GaaS are here to stay. If a separate part of the dev team are working on cosmetics, which otherwise would not be in the game if not for MTX, then it isn't harmful to add some sort of grinding and currency as a motivator to keep players investing their money and time in a game they enjoy.

What's not cool is when the grind is obscenely hard or time-consuming and the game is stingy with rewards. That's a bad outcome for the dev and players because people won't play and it will affect the game's reputation.

Oct 28, 2017
Given how bonkers the difficulty spikes in many previous MK games... I'm not so sure. I still have nightmares about some of MK9's Tower requirements resulting in 30 minute-long fights because there was no timer and both fighters regenerated health faster than they could lose it...

I really don't remember anything like that in MK9, and I've beaten that game to death. MK9 also didn't have the option of consumables that nerf the difficulty of the fight, with modifiers that only apply to you, the player. 11 takes it to another level of "fuck you, pay me" when it comes to making things easier.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
These are great news. NRS is really good listening to the community and gathering feedback. They also did this alot in terms of general gameplay.

Game isnt even out yet and they responded as soon as possible.

As somebody who already has the game i can see how they intended the buff items they constantly drop to counter the tower modifiers but it didnt work out like they expected.

But like expected i can see some of you here will never be happy and always gonna think the man wants to rip you off at any chance and you gotta stick it to him.

If they would want to "fuck you over" they wouldnt give you more content than any MK ever WITHOUT the towers stuff.

Yeah right, keep praising these bullshit practices. Its not the first time WB games pull this sort of crap.