Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
The game looks great except for the terrible PKMN Go mechanics. Though I understand this isn't the title they are pushing for core PKMN players so I can't complain too much. I'll still be getting the game day 1 simply because I can play with a friend. Not much else I have to play till SSB comes out in December anyway.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That Level 47 Wartortle bothers me. Level 47 means it's higher levelled than most Victory Road (which reaches around Level 48 at the end, mostly it's trainers with 5 Level 42 Pokemon). Sounds like it's harder right?

But why is it a Wartortle then?

You have a team of probably fully evolved Pokemon at this point (assuming it's either around Cinnebar or a new Victory Road trainer.) Wartortle ain't providing much of a challenge at this point in the game at those levels. And the trainer only has 2 Pokemon.

Best outcome is it's Vs. Seeker rematch I guess (which confirms Vs. Seeker I suppose). That matches what the rematches on Route 20 in Fire Red/Leaf Green were around. Might be Sevii islands but seems unlikely since that's not on the map, and those levels would be post game ones. Just an odd thing to show at this point.

Last edited:

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
The funny thing is, if this were just for Misty, I wouldn't mind. Starmie is an absurdly powerful Pokemon for this stage of the game. It's faster than anything else, it hits like a truck, and it has higher defensive stats than the unevolved Pokemon you will probably have. A STAB water attack like Water Pulse or Bubblebeam easily 2HKOs anything not resistant. Newer players were often forced to face her after Nugget Bridge or even Vermillion City.

So this would be a case where the game is made easier for an understandable reason.

But we know this won't just be for Misty. :(
We've seen Brock's Onix and he has the same level of Pokémon Yellow. I really swear they only fixed Starmie, it was hard.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah i hope trainer and gym rematches are a thing without wild battles.

Havin only the league to rebattle would be really meh.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Yep

Dh6FqkOXkAAlxtr.jpg

Is this it for exclusives? Oh dammit, growlithe is in the other version. Well guess my wife will have to trade me.

Oct 27, 2017
You quoted my post wrong but I'll try to elaborate on what I mean.

He's on those plaques because he gets there first, and I'm not suggesting the game put our names there before we do it as well. He can do the same things we can. The fact he gets there more quickly has nothing to do with Pokémon battling at all, so how does that reflect his skill?

They could do something like having him battle through team rocket to challenge us, but instead the game has him do things like hide in a room to ambush us. That's kraven and cowardly, not a reflection of skill.

He was at the top of the Silph Co when you got there. Do you think he just teleported? Stealthed his way through? That TR just let him waltz through? He literally says he say Red in the city, and knew he'd turn up there so he battled his way up and waited. You're confusing his character/personality with the discussion of him being presented as a rival/someone always slightly ahead of you. Him not caring about stopping TR doesn't have anything to do with that

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The art is really nice but gets points off because their chibified. Could have looked incredible. Love the region map but what the fuck is up with them not creating like a bridge or something for the SS Anne to go through?

Also they literally want you to know that your rival is friendly and not a piece of shit. Like why? What kid doesn't want to kick dirt in the face of an asshole rival?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
This game can look very pretty in some parts and really crappy in others.
Looks ok overall though.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
They could do something like having him battle through team rocket to challenge us, but instead the game has him do things like hide in a room to ambush us. That's kraven and cowardly, not a reflection of skill.

How would that make sense
He's not really bothered by what team rocket is doing. He's not a heroic, good hearted character like Barry or the gen 3 kids. Call him a coward if you must, but thats better than making him a goody two shoes out of nowhere just to justify "growth" (which he gets anyway, just watch his final speech after losing to you. its a colder, more realistic take on the same growth silver ends up having in gen II, but one that doesnt end happily for blue)

Also the rocket dude on the way to blue does say he beaten his ass and is very strong (not with this words of course)

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
He is a beat but there are plenty of reasons why he's antagonistic. You're both kids in a small town starting their journey at the same time, you're literally the only thing he can pin as a rival. You're newer but his grandpa still gives you priority over him and keep pampering you through the game despite all his achievements. Then on his mind hes better but he keeps on losing to you over and over. There's every of reason for blue to be a dick to the player character. You want things with no reason? Why the gen 6 'rivals' are so incredibly over the player character and everything they do, it makes no sense.

Blue gets the same amount of "pampering" from Oak as you do. He gets a Pokédex and a free starter (which unlike the anime isn't something they hand out to just everyone). His actual involvement past that consists of Oak rightfully calling Blue on his bullshit. And on top of that we find out in later gens that on top of all that prior to the game he was traveling to Kalos and getting the best tutors.

Blue is spoiled rotten.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
So it's true for the games lately as well? I noticed that from the 16? episodes of the XY anime I've seen, there seem to be hardly any less than friendly relationships in the entire anime except for Team Rocket. No one even seems to be upset for longer than a few seconds after losing a match. They swing right back to happiness at a "good battle" and optimism that "I'll win next time".
I'll be honest and say that I completely blasted through the game since I REALLY wasn't feeling it, but I don't remember ever running into anyone who was like a dick to their Pokemon or to you. It was always Hau or the girl showing up and they were pretty straight forward friend characters. The main villains were super jokey too, it was a major turn off.

I think it's funny people saying this game looks like it's "baby's first Pokemon" because that's what I thought of Sun/moon. The games were so linear it wasn't even funny, zero exploration. At least Yellow has stuff like mt. Moon or victory road that is kind of like a dungeon, every area in sun/moon was a series of straight narrow paths that occasionally had an off-shoot that led to another item. You could legit get lost in some areas in the original games, it was impossible too in SM.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I'll be honest and say that I completely blasted through the game since I REALLY wasn't feeling it, but I don't remember ever running into anyone who was like a dick to their Pokemon or to you. It was always Hau or the girl showing up and they were pretty straight forward friend characters. The main villains were super jokey too, it was a major turn off.

I think it's funny people saying this game looks like it's "baby's first Pokemon" because that's what I thought of Sun/moon. The games were so linear it wasn't even funny, zero exploration. At least Yellow has stuff like mt. Moon or victory road that is kind of like a dungeon, every area in sun/moon was a series of straight narrow paths that occasionally had an off-shoot that led to another item. You could legit get lost in some areas in the original games, it was impossible too in SM.

Lusamine was slightly antagonistic and closer to a villain in SM

Which is why they completely retconned it in USUM to make her a flawed person but still caring and with a heart of gold

DukeBlue

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah fam I really don't see a scenario where this game doesn't blow tf up during the holidays. Also, pikachu is so damn adorable!

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
How would that make sense
He's not really bothered by what team rocket is doing. He's not a heroic, good hearted character like Barry or the gen 3 kids. Call him a coward if you must, but thats better than making him a goody two shoes out of nowhere just to justify "growth" (which he gets anyway, just watch his final speech after losing to you. its a colder, more realistic take on the same growth silver ends up having in gen II, but one that doesnt end happily for blue)

Also the rocket dude on the way to blue does say he beaten his ass and is very strong (not with this words of course)

I'm not saying that Blue would take on team rocket out of the goodness of his heart. I'm saying do something like have him beat up a TR member that the game would build up as cool and interesting and then he gets blown away in a manner similar to how Lance takes out those grunts with Dragonite in GSC.

Show us, don't just have us take the game's word for it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying that Blue would take on team rocket out of the goodness of his heart. I'm saying do something like have him beat up a TR member that the game would build up as cool and interesting and then he gets blown away in a manner similar to how Lance takes out those grunts with Dragonite in GSC.

This is completely arbitrary. Your argument is basically "If the game doesn't have this specific scenario it doesn't count". Him beating gyms before you doesn't count because you're not there when he did it? Him beating the League before you doesn't count because you didn't see it? Come on

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017

You want a cutscene of Blue fighting a Team Rocket grunt? Also, it's been a while, but I don't remember a cutscene of Lance fighting Rocket grunts in GSC.

I don't think the things the game is trying to communicate to us with Blue is that he's super powerful. It's that he's "ahead" of you. Which only seems particularly important to him, because he's the only one mocking you over it. That's the flaw in his mindset and the reason you beat him. Because he's so focused on finding the strongest Pokemon to blast through the gym leaders and be acknowledged as the strongest ASAP, he's missing out on the more important things in his journey.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really likin these graphics now. Very Crisp more than anything, the DOF behind Pikachu when he's on your arm really looks nice too. Kinda makes me want to play it just cause it all looks so pleasant.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How easy is it going to be to plow through the Elite 4? I bet someone is going to give you a free ice Pokémon or Dragonite lol.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Also i might be mistaken here but isnt Blue the only rival who actually gets to win the league before you or even winning the league? Even Hau and Gladion dont count because they're challengers to your title.

You want a cutscene of Blue fighting a Team Rocket grunt? Also, it's been a while, but I don't remember a cutscene of Lance fighting Rocket grunts in GSC.

There's a small cutscene with Lance's dragonite bumping into a rocket dude and him moving on while you fight the other rocket grunt but that's it. And Lance is supposed to be a hero/good character anyway so i dont see how the comparison fits. You dont see Silver beating Rockets either and he actually had his reasons to do so.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

I don't think the things the game is trying to communicate to us with Blue is that he's super powerful. It's that he's "ahead" of you. Which only seems particularly important to him, because he's the only one mocking you over it. That's the flaw in his mindset and the reason you beat him. Because he's so focused on finding the strongest Pokemon to blast through the gym leaders and be acknowledged as the strongest ASAP, he's missing out on the more important things in his journey.

There's a scene in the overworld where Lance commands Dragonite to use Hyper Beam and some Rocket Grunts' sprites are being knocked away, by my recollection. And even then he's basically at your side and assisting you through the hideout. That was done with GB tech so something like that isn't really out of the realm of possibility for RBY.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Also i might be mistaken here but isnt Blue the only rival who actually gets to win the league before you or even winning the league? Even Hau and Gladion dont count because they're challengers to your title.

There's a small cutscene with Lance's dragonite bumping into a rocket dude and him moving on while you fight the other rocket grunt but that's it. And Lance is supposed to be a hero/good character anyway so i dont see how the comparison fits. You dont see Silver beating Rockets either and he actually had his reasons to do so.

N wins before you in Black and White if you count him. Don't even get to fight Alder until the post game.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017

Blue doesn't need to be heroic to fight TR.

But no, N defeats Alder before you get there too.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Really dig how the game and promotional art looks. Great color pallets and I like the new designs a lot.

Still not interested in buying the game though.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a scene in the overworld where Lance commands Dragonite to use Hyper Beam and some Rocket Grunts' sprites are being knocked away, by my recollection. And even then he's basically at your side and assisting you through the hideout. That was done with GB tech so something like that isn't really out of the realm of possibility for RBY.
Lance cares about stopping TR. Blue doesn't give a shit. He has no reason to buddy up with you. Again, what you're asking for sounds completely arbitrary. You don't like the examples of the game showing you Blue is ahead, but that doesn't mean they don't count

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that map really betrays how outdated the Kanto region really is. I'm not a fan of the whole genwunner Kantonian nostalgia trip GameFreak has been on for the last few years but surely they could have updated the towns for the game? They look so samey and the map in general look so in organically square.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Man, that map really betrays how outdated the Kanto region really is. I'm not a fan of the whole genwunner Kantonian nostalgia trip GameFreak has been on for the last few years but surely they could have updated the towns for the game? They look so samey and the map in general look so in organically square.
They kept it square for the aesthetic they are going with.