• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Care to elaborate why? Not knocking your opinion down, just curious.
I feel like a friendly rival could be done well, but gamefreak simply doesnt know how. Hau and the XY gang being the worst offenders. Despite not liking his personality i feel the closest gamefreak got to a good friendly rival was barry in gen IV
I like Hau. Wally is the best rival there has been. The only friendly rivals that are bad are those of X / Y

In my opinion, it works better than the other. Blue is not bad at all but Silver is quite cringe. Personally, even better than friendly rival is laughing at the edgy kids, like Gladion

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Gladio was not your rival. He should have been, but he wasn't.

It was a quite nice opportunity to have a rival working for the "bad" team for once but they backpedal on it so quickly. Its quite a shame.

For friendly rivals, I liked the Gen 5 ones (both games). They didn't exist to be your cheerleaders. They had their own things going on with their lives.

i feel like gen V is the same as gen III as in they're too detached and distant to actually feel like rivals. They're mostly doing their own things (which doesnt necessarily mean aiming to be the top trainer as you) so the occasional battles don't feel as personal as they could.

No doubts they are still better than the group of people who solely exist to drool over every little thing you do though.

I like Hau. Wally is the best rival there has been. The only friendly rivals that are bad are those of X / Y

In my opinion, it works better than the other. Blue is not bad at all but Silver is quite cringe. Personally, even better than friendly rival is laughing at the edgy kids, like Gladion

Wally is one that i see the reason why he's friendly - he's from another town, you meet with him while helping him, unlike Blue he has no reason to be antagonistic towards you. I don't mind him either. But he's not really a rival, you only face him thrice, the rivals are sadly still the other Petalburg kid who just goes "ehhh i'm not really feeling being a trainer anymore lets be buds" near midgame.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Seems like they fixed the scale of Pokemon compared to SM. Onix actually looks huge next to Brock and Pikachu now.
Dh6dFpIXUAAXlDm.jpg:large
This is why they're limiting it to Gen 1 - they've not built an engine to support Wailord yet!

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Misty looks great, but the lack of skin tone options is inexcusable since there's customization options. Hopefully it's just that we haven't seen it yet and they'll clear this up soon.
They're established characters now and not personal avatars like in XY/SuMo it seems. They did the same thing in ORAS.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite rival is still Barry. His attention deficit gimmick was really cute. He came across like a player speedrunning the game.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Looks amazing, I'm still not in 100% but definitely don't push me cuz I'm close to the edge.

Seriously though why do all my rivals have to be so damn nice and friendly these days. Give me back the original mean rivals.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
100% of the people that said they would be skipping this (which was a lot of people on this forum) will be getting this for sure. I know this, they know this. Love the style of this game!

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Isn't that what he always was? You aren't out to kill each other or ruin each other's lives or anything. I though the rival really being a jerk was more so from the show then it was from the game.
He was never friendly he pushes you out the way for first selection in yellow, and that's just in the first minute, he never wanted to kill you or anything but they weren't friendly in gen 1 or 2.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The voices WERE updated for the old ones starting in XY
Some of them were, like Raichu. Others sound like they were just put through some strange filter and end up sounding even more computer generated than they used to.

They needed to go back and redo the cries to sound more like animal noises, like Gen IV onward. They can still have their cries, just make them using real sounds. The original two Stadium games showed it's possible to recreate a Pokemon's cry to sound more realistic without making it not familiar.

Oct 27, 2017
They're established characters now and not personal avatars like in XY/SuMo it seems. They did the same thing in ORAS.
Lol, this is absurd. Pretty much all the games have had established characters, especially since R/S when they stopped just being named after the version. They didn't include it because they didn't want to, same with ORAS and their "We felt clothing was unique to Kalos' culture" bullshit

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Care to elaborate why? Not knocking your opinion down, just curious.
I feel like a friendly rival could be done well, but gamefreak simply doesnt know how. Hau and the XY gang being the worst offenders. Despite not liking his personality i feel the closest gamefreak got to a good friendly rival was barry in gen IV
Hau was good. I liked his characterization and his presence in the story, which is more than I can say for Blue. fixing the friendly rival thing just comes down to making a character deserving of the "rival" title. beating a person every time yall meet doesn't make that person a rival. doesn't matter if they do shit before you, because when you beat them, you sort of invalidate their shit. if they allowed you to lose and have the game continue from there, that'd be a big step in the right direction

and the XY gang is just straight trash. much like the game itself

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Game still looks awful. It's not enough that they had to water down the gameplay, but they even took away the classic Gen 1 experience of having an asshole rival.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Ehh. See ya next year. This ain't my cup of tea. Game still looks like a 3ds game ported over to Switch. Hopefully the core game looks just as good if not better than other 1st party Nintendo games and doesn't learn too much from the "success" of this game.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Lol, this is absurd. Pretty much all the games have had established characters, especially since R/S when they stopped just being named after the version. They didn't include it because they didn't want to, same with ORAS and their "We felt clothing was unique to Kalos' culture" bullshit

Do the SuMo player characters have official names?

They only showed off clothes for now. They might show skin color options along with stuff like hair styles in a future update.

Established characters? What is this based on? There is literally no difference between Brendan and May and the XY/SuMo protagonists.

I remember one of the leaks saying that Red and Blue would be in the game and that you'd be the son/daughter of Red. I may be mistaken though. I also meant established in the context of that they would appear in the anime but I just remembered that Serena was in the anime and you could change her skin color in XY so my point is moot now.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Pokémon 2019 better deliver because this looks like cheap cash in low effort release.

Crap graphics
Features removed
Pokémon removed
You got warned for that? Lol.

So we can't say x game is a cash in when it looks like one?

I'm sorry mods but Let's Go does not look like a $60 game? The 3DS games costed less and had more content.

I'm seriously puzzled by this warn lol.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why they regressed from S/M art style to X/Y. Every other problem I have with this game I could have overlooked had it at least looked pleasant.

Oct 30, 2017
Pokémon 2019 better deliver because this looks like cheap cash in low effort release.

Crap graphics
Features removed
Pokémon removed

Let me get this striaght. I got warned for this by a mod for saying lazy devs. Nowhere in my post did I mention lazy devs. I said this looks low effort.

It wasn't a driving by post, I mentioned the reasons why i think it's low effort.

Still dissapointed by the graphics, looks like 3DS game in HD, so 2 generations behind the graphics capable with Switch.

Missing features such as day and night cycle.

Missing Pokemon.

Basically based on the new trailer I am still dissapointed because what is happening is Nintendo is charging essentially more for a Pokémon game with less content.

If the rules on ResetEra is you have to be excited and state positive things with trailer threads the. I apologize.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
You know there's a point re: rival discussion that people are overlooking.

This isn't Red or "Leaf" in the protagonist role. They've been very clear on that. So... why would Blue be their rival to begin with? And more importantly why would or should Chase act exactly like his predecessor? The character needs to be a clone? Seriously?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
100% of the people that said they would be skipping this (which was a lot of people on this forum) will be getting this for sure. I know this, they know this. Love the style of this game!

I stand by my statement of passing on this game and playing Cyber Sleuth this November (maybe Hackers Memory as well if I enjoy the first). All I'm here for is looking for features that are worth transferring over to Gen 8/2019. I still think it's embarrassing that A PS Vita game looks better than Pokemons first mainline home console game, and even have more mons to get as well (from all generations as well on top of that)

Oct 30, 2017

I'm sorry mods but Let's Go does not look like a $60 game? The 3DS games costed less and had more content.

Exactly I'm glad you agree mods need to calm down with their moderation.

If my original post was lazy devs, these Devs are crap insulting the Devs then fair enough. No proper reason why.

However my original post states it's low effort and a cash in. And I stated my reasons why I beleibe this.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I'm slowly coming around on this game. I think I can get down with a more casual Pokémon experience. At least it's something to help hold us over until the proper game next year.

Amiibola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Not only it doesn't look like that, but that's basically a "lazy devs" argument, wich is bullshit

TheRedLag00n

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the game looks amazing for what it aims to be. Really hyped, already pre-ordered the Pikachu version with the Pokeball controller. I think the world map is great, although yeah, the S.S. Anne is really in a weird spot lol. And I especially love how Misty looks and that she even has a cute little animation into the same pose from her Yellow sprite.
xBhuGYX.jpg

EinfHsH.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
Paris
I still don't see anything for me! It looks dated, it plays like GO and the Pokéball reminds me off this thing for WiiFeetU that i've just used once to unlock the game and never again.

But the casual audience seems to like it, so i'm pretty shure now it's gonna sell really well, and beside people loved GO.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I remember one of the leaks saying that Red and Blue would be in the game and that you'd be the son/daughter of Red. I may be mistaken though. I also meant established in the context of that they would appear in the anime but I just remembered that Serena was in the anime and you could change her skin color in XY so my point is moot now.
Two different leaks. One 4chan leak that has been right about pretty much everything says Red and Blue are in the game. The other thing you're talking about was some fake thing spawned by fanart.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Not only it doesn't look like that, but that's basically a "lazy devs" argument, wich is bullshit
For a game that is going to sell millions of copies at $60, I think it should look better than that, and have more content too. Is is going to make use of the new online pay wall? If so, then I'm gonna need more online play options and not less.

If you disagree, good for you, that doesn't make my opinion any less than yours.

Thank you. :)

EDIT: I'm willing to follow this crazy rule that puts corporations above consumers cause this is a video game board. But mods need to be clearer on that topic cause I have seen many "lazy devs" posts and threads, some go warned others don't. Including from myself.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't there be Day/Night cycles if Alola Forms are supposed to be in this game? A. Rattata evolves into A. Raticate during the night after reaching a certain level, IIRC.

Oct 30, 2017
For a game that is going to sell millions of copies at $60, I think it should look better than that, and have more content too. Is is going to make use of the new online pay wall? If so, then I'm gonna need more online play options and not less.

If you disagree, good for you, that doesn't make my opinion any less than yours.

Thank you. :)

Sorry that's implying Devs are lazy alert the mods lol